PDA

View Full Version : So MHSAA has but hurt over something.......this will be interesting

Harrydawg
10-13-2015, 07:25 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/10/13/mhsaa-official-says-schools-wont-play-mra-mag-heights/73887222/

msstate7
10-13-2015, 07:30 PM
I don't care either way, but I can see this from mhsaa's point of view. If private schools are gonna actively recruit public school kids, why let private schools showcase their programs vs public schools? It would obviously help recruiting to play public schools and obviously hurt recruiting to not play them IMO

Harrydawg
10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
It's interesting that they are naming 2 specific privates that have really grown in the past several years. Don't name Prep who has won more than all privates combined.....I guess that's fine. Didn't name JA who is on the fall and no longer a threat.......

Is this just those two districts pissed about it (Madison County and North MS). Just seems odd

Rayburn8
10-13-2015, 07:41 PM
It's interesting that they are naming 2 specific privates that have really grown in the past several years. Don't name Prep who has won more than all privates combined.....I guess that's fine. Didn't name JA who is on the fall and no longer a threat.......

Is this just those two districts pissed about it (Madison County and North MS). Just seems odd

They didn't name JA because JA does not recruit players.

Really Clark?
10-13-2015, 07:42 PM
I don't care either way, but I can see this from mhsaa's point of view. If private schools are gonna actively recruit public school kids, why let private schools showcase their programs vs public schools? It would obviously help recruiting to play public schools and obviously hurt recruiting to not play them IMO

I don't necessarily disagree State7, the only problem the MHSAA has with their statement is they haven't stop recruiting within the public school ranks. Or Catholic schools that have played MHSAA for years. Kind of make up your own bed first before trying to make another organization or schools look bad but I do understand why you want to control recruiting. I do also kind of question why just those two schools. If you are going this route...well I guess they don't have enough personnel to adequately check all the schools. That along with the laundry list of issues the MHSAA has that they need to clean up among themselves.

Harrydawg
10-13-2015, 07:54 PM

Maybe they should start......recruiting that is. It's also how you define recruiting. Selling your product (environment, facilities, coaches, academics......etc.). What is it that theses specific schools are being accused of?

As far as privates go JA is no different than the others, I promise.

Sundawg1974
10-13-2015, 07:57 PM

Not sure why Prep wouldn't have been included. They are as bad as MRA in the Jackson area.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2015, 08:00 PM
I don't blame them a bit. Look for more of this.

Spiderman
10-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Ha!!
Then Simpson must be the Ole Miss of HS. If you are gonna ban MRA and Mag Heights and not Simpson, then they will never be charged with recruiting

pscf3
10-13-2015, 08:09 PM
We'll see how this is enforced given that schedules work on a 2-year basis. MRA is already scheduled to play at Taylorsville next year. It's also worth noting that while MRA beat Taylorsville (who is 2-5 with a couple of losses to fellow 2A schools) this year, they also played in 2013 and 2014. Taylorsville won at MRA in 2014 and actually curb stomped them 26-0 at home in 2013. So it's not like they're unbeatable.

Really Clark?
10-13-2015, 08:13 PM
I don't blame them a bit. Look for more of this.

I don't really blame them but why just the private schools? If you want to make a recruiting statement among their member programs why not also go after big offenders in the public school ranks?

Schultzy
10-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Wouldn't more kids in private schools lessen the burden of public schools to educate? And elevate the $ spent per child in the public schools.

The more kids in the private schools the better, their parents tax dollars go to public schools and you don't even have to educate their kids.

Both systems win when the private schools take a kid.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Actually state money for schools is allocated on a per student basis. The amount per student variies according to some formula but it is on a per student basis. If a private school takes a student from a public school that school does lose money.

Thick
10-13-2015, 09:14 PM

BULLSHIT!!!

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2015, 09:16 PM
This is the MHSAA being sissies about the private schools kicking their rear. Stopping recruiting is a noble effort, but why don't they stop the public schools from recruiting the private school kids? They don't like MRA recruiting but have no problem with Madison Central doing it. Sour grapes.

Schultzy
10-13-2015, 09:18 PM
But doesn't it also lose the cost of educating the student? And provide for more personal attention per student?

msstate7
10-13-2015, 09:21 PM
This is the MHSAA being sissies about the private schools kicking their rear. Stopping recruiting is a noble effort, but why don't they stop the public schools from recruiting the private school kids? They don't like MRA recruiting but have no problem with Madison Central doing it. Sour grapes.

I'm really naive on this subject. The private schools are dominating public schools?

Thick
10-13-2015, 09:23 PM
Biggest problem is a lot of public schools are much bigger then MAIS schools, so kids get stuck in the mix of 80 plus kids on a football team. So why would they not leave to actually play earlier then to sit the bench for 2-3 years before sniffing the field. My daughters attend MRA, and the patrons have actually complained a great deal to administration and the board. It is currently being addressed is what we are being told. JP, JA, Pillow, PCS, Parklane etc are picking up kids from public schools. It's ridiculous for 2 schools to be called out when there are a hell of a lot more doing the same thing. I can't believe Rankin Co schools are pissed at JP. There's also no transfer rule from a MHSSA school to a MAIS school.

Harrydawg
10-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Msstate7 - I agree, who is being hurt - what has changed? You won't get MrA and MC confused with each other - athletically, there is no comparison. MRA may have a couple kids who could play some at MC but not many....and for every kid that has left MC to go to MRA I could name 2 that have left MRA and gone to MC.

This whole thing seems personal - MHSAA is being bitchy. If they have specific issues then come with it. These broad, back handed accusations with no substance is pitiful.

PassInterference
10-13-2015, 09:33 PM
When they gonna hate South Panola for crootin players?

RBritt
10-13-2015, 09:34 PM
CENTREVILLE ACADEMY. If Bill don't recruit he doesn't win. 2 other great recruiting schools are in Natchez, ACCS and Trinity. ACCS has kids from 30 miles in Louisiana and from all around Natchez.

Jack Lambert
10-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Convince yourself S. Panola doesn't recruit.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm really naive on this subject. The private schools are dominating public schools?

I don't think dominating is a fair or accurate term. However, the results have clearly shown that the private schools win the majority of the games when matched up with similar enrollment.

Keep in mind that public school supporters expected complete domination when this started. Pearl expected to destroy Prep in their first game many years ago. I had a Pearl parent bet me $100 that Pearl would score over 80 points in the football game. Prep lead 40-something to zero at half and Pearl didn't cross midfield until the second half. When MRA played their first public football game against Kaleb Eulls and Yazoo County, their were rumors from public school folks saying that MRA parents were afraid to let their sons play against someone like Eulls because he was an SEC recruit and they feared for their son's safety. No parent thought that and they had to invoke the running clock in the second half because MRA's dominance was clear. Heck Malik Dear said that a JPS 9th grade team could beat ANY MAIS football last year. Those are wild and stupid examples that folks actually believed.

The bottom line is that ball is ball and kids are kids regardless of their school. It is enrollment that seems to matter the most, not the other stuff.

Disclosure, my kids go to public school.

Harrydawg
10-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Poor Kaleb, he was kicking, punting, QB, DE.....hell I think he drove the bus.

Kid was soo tired after half he was done......

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Poor Kaleb, he was kicking, punting, QB, DE.....hell I think he drove the bus.

Kid was soo tired after half he was done......

Exactly. Great player. On a bad team. Bad teams are bad teams. And good teams are good teams. Doesn't matter which league.

msstate7
10-13-2015, 09:57 PM
I don't think dominating is a fair or accurate term. However, the results have clearly shown that the private schools win the majority of the games when matched up with similar enrollment.

Keep in mind that public school supporters expected complete domination when this started. Pearl expected to destroy Prep in their first game many years ago. I had a Pearl parent bet me $100 that Pearl would score over 80 points in the football game. Prep lead 40-something to zero at half and Pearl didn't cross midfield until the second half. When MRA played their first public football game against Kaleb Eulls and Yazoo County, their were rumors from public school folks saying that MRA parents were afraid to let their sons play against someone like Eulls because he was an SEC recruit and they feared for their son's safety. No parent thought that and they had to invoke the running clock in the second half because MRA's dominance was clear. Heck Malik Dear said that a JPS 9th grade team could beat ANY MAIS football last year. Those are wild and stupid examples that folks actually believed.

The bottom line is that ball is ball and kids are kids regardless of their school. It is enrollment that seems to matter the most, not the other stuff.

I have no idea how much recruiting MRA does. If MRA does recruit players and then plays Taylorsville, I think that's a big advantage. I don't think comparing enrollment is a fair way to matchup teams if one team is handpicking players and the other isn't. Where am I wrong on this?

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2015, 09:57 PM
I remember watching some highlight film of Cody Prewitt in academy ball. I was impressed and showed it to a friend. He said "that's private school league, kid wouldnt start at any public school in this state". The guy was serious. He honestly believed the Prewitt could not start for an 0-10 1A public school. Prewitt would have started at South Panola. Jon Banks and Donald Lee and Discenzo Miller would have started at South Panola also. They came from tiny public schools.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2015, 10:02 PM
I have no idea how much recruiting MRA does. If MRA does recruit players and then plays Taylorsville, I think that's a big advantage. I don't think comparing enrollment is a fair way to matchup teams if one team is handpicking players and the other isn't. Where am I wrong on this?

You are not wrong. But you said one team hand picks and the other doesn't. That makes it unfair. I am saying that many public schools also recruit. It happens in both leagues. Madison Central recruits big time. As you said, it is unfair when one team recruits and the other doesn't. But the MHSAA is only worried about the MAIS recruiting. They aren't worried about their own schools recruiting.

Really Clark?
10-13-2015, 10:04 PM

I think the question is, does that private school recruit more heavily than the public school they are facing. Because even small public schools recruit. That was my point earlier. If you want to crack down on recruiting, that's fine, I'm all for it. Just be sure you are really singling out the worse offenders and include both organizations. Private and public schools.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Just be sure you are really singling out the worse offenders and include both organizations. Private and public schools.

Exactly.

msstate7
10-13-2015, 10:10 PM
So how would you go about stopping public schools from recruiting?

I personally have no problem with a private school recruiting a kid if the kid gets a free education out of the deal.

Todd4State
10-13-2015, 10:43 PM

You nailed it. A lot of people in Mississippi see a team like Prep or MRA and they see all of those white kids and just automatically assume that they suck. When reality happens and those white kids turn out to not be so bad....well then they have to find a way to make the narrative fit. "Well.....you're recruiting and the public schools can't do that."

Todd4State
10-13-2015, 10:44 PM
So how would you go about stopping public schools from recruiting?

I personally have no problem with a private school recruiting a kid if the kid gets a free education out of the deal.

Put them on probation if they are caught using an ineligible player. And make "players recruited out of district" ineligible by rule.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-13-2015, 10:47 PM
You nailed it. A lot of people in Mississippi see a team like Prep or MRA and they see all of those white kids and just automatically assume that they suck. When reality happens and those white kids turn out to not be so bad....well then they have to find a way to make the narrative fit. "Well.....you're recruiting and the public schools can't do that."

Exactly Todd. I've seen some small private schools that have just awful football teams. Just terrible. But I've seen some terrible small public schools also. There are good and bad teams in both leagues. People just make wrong and stupid assumptions.

BulldogBear
10-13-2015, 10:47 PM
CENTREVILLE ACADEMY. If Bill don't recruit he doesn't win. 2 other great recruiting schools are in Natchez, ACCS and Trinity. ACCS has kids from 30 miles in Louisiana and from all around Natchez.

Just about any kid from Jefferson County that can afford it goes to ACCS, which is the more affordable of Trinity or AC. Some also make it to Cathedral. But this is nothing new. It was going on when I grew up in Natchez in the 80s. But I can tell you it's not just athletes.

Todd4State
10-13-2015, 10:49 PM
I think the question is, does that private school recruit more heavily than the public school they are facing. Because even small public schools recruit. That was my point earlier. If you want to crack down on recruiting, that's fine, I'm all for it. Just be sure you are really singling out the worse offenders and include both organizations. Private and public schools.

Totally agree. And the MHSAA should be thankful that there isn't a "football factory" in the MAIS like a John Curtis in NOLA. That could get really tense.

ScottH
10-13-2015, 11:10 PM
The odd thing is Mag Heights doesn't play any MHSAA football or basketball this year. My guess is the MHSAA's burr may be with their baseball. Weren't they unofficially #1 in the state 2 years ago?

Todd, didn't MC have 2 or 3 MAIS QB's in a row. I seem to recall Canton and JA transfers at least.

ScottH
10-13-2015, 11:13 PM
TAnd the MHSAA should be thankful that there isn't a "football factory" in the MAIS like a John Curtis in NOLA. That could get really tense.

MRA seems to flirt with that blueprint in basketball but can't seem to link enough transfers to make it happen.

sandwolf
10-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Wow, has private school football changed that much over the past 12 years? I played football at JA in the early 2000's, and I can tell you flat out that there wasn't one recruited player on our team. And we were all good buddies with most of the Prep players so we were very familiar with their team, and from what I can remember, all of their stud players were the same guys that we had been playing against since junior high.....and as a matter of fact, they actually had one of their best linemen transfer to Madison Central to play his senior year.

msstate7
10-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Wow, has private school football changed that much over the past 12 years? I played football at JA in the early 2000's, and I can tell you flat out that there wasn't one recruited player on our team. And we were all good buddies with most of the Prep players so we were very familiar with their team, and from what I can remember, all of their stud players were the same guys that we had been playing against since junior high.....and as a matter of fact, they actually had one of their best linemen transfer to Madison Central to play his senior year.

Statute of limitations is up, dude... You can admit they recruited you**

Todd4State
10-13-2015, 11:29 PM
The odd thing is Mag Heights doesn't play any MHSAA football or basketball this year. My guess is the MHSAA's burr may be with their baseball. Weren't they unofficially #1 in the state 2 years ago?

Todd, didn't MC have 2 or 3 MAIS QB's in a row. I seem to recall Canton and JA transfers at least.

Peyton Johnson was from JA and then the QB from Canton was the guy who got busted for steroids while in HS. Then they had a QB transfer in from either Neshoba Central or Philadelphia.

There were rumors that both were recruited.

Todd4State
10-13-2015, 11:33 PM

I can't speak for the two country club schools- but I can tell you that MRA got put on probation in the 1990's for recruiting football players. It may not have occurred at Prep or JA- but it also wasn't unheard of for a private school to recruit. It also wasn't unheard of for public schools to be accused of recruiting as well. So, really this has been going on for awhile now.

msstate7
10-13-2015, 11:42 PM
Peyton Johnson was from JA and then the QB from Canton was the guy who got busted for steroids while in HS. Then they had a QB transfer in from either Neshoba Central or Philadelphia.

There were rumors that both were recruited.

Joseph Willis -- Neshoba central

sandwolf
10-14-2015, 12:16 AM
I can't speak for the two country club schools- but I can tell you that MRA got put on probation in the 1990's for recruiting football players. It may not have occurred at Prep or JA- but it also wasn't unheard of for a private school to recruit. It also wasn't unheard of for public schools to be accused of recruiting as well. So, really this has been going on for awhile now.

Yea, I know that it happens, and I am not saying that it never happened at JA or Prep......but I am saying that it never happened at JA while I was there, and I am fairly sure that it didn't happen at Prep either. But some of the posts in this thread made it sound like it was now commonplace for JA and Prep to recruit players, which was surprising to me for a couple of reasons: 1.) It never happened while I was there, and 2.) Recruiting players would be a tricky thing at those two schools......because there are an awful lot of dads with very big egos and very deep pockets (many of whom donate large sums of money to the schools) that wouldn't take too kindly to the idea of the school actively seeking out a player and giving him a scholarship so that he could come in and start over their son.

Harrydawg
10-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Jack Carlyle was a bad seed at MRA who was bad about
recruiting or allowed things to get out of hand back in
88-90ish

Coach34
10-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Jack Carlyle was a bad seed at MRA who was bad about
recruiting or allowed things to get out of hand back in
88-90ish

yep- we recruited and we were ****ing good too. Our baseball team in 1986 was one of the 5 best in the state public or private. And we didnt even win the state championship

Duckdog
10-14-2015, 08:19 AM
MHSAA came down hard on the catholic school in natchez. I guess they were tired of the school competing for the state championship. Funny thing is they never said a word until the school had a good team for two years

BB30
10-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Yea, I know that it happens, and I am not saying that it never happened at JA or Prep......but I am saying that it never happened at JA while I was there, and I am fairly sure that it didn't happen at Prep either. But some of the posts in this thread made it sound like it was now commonplace for JA and Prep to recruit players, which was surprising to me for a couple of reasons: 1.) It never happened while I was there, and 2.) Recruiting players would be a tricky thing at those two schools......because there are an awful lot of dads with very big egos and very deep pockets (many of whom donate large sums of money to the schools) that wouldn't take too kindly to the idea of the school actively seeking out a player and giving him a scholarship so that he could come in and start over their son.

This is correct. especially number 2 and that doesn't just include PREP and JA there are a bunch of private schools that have those parents. We had a couple of kids come over and it was a huge issue between some of the parents with less athletic starters.

RBritt
10-14-2015, 09:15 AM
Coach Deuse is a good one too. He reloads on a yearly basis.

Johnson85
10-14-2015, 11:03 AM
This is correct. especially number 2 and that doesn't just include PREP and JA there are a bunch of private schools that have those parents. We had a couple of kids come over and it was a huge issue between some of the parents with less athletic starters.

It's not just an issue with playing time. The vast majority of private schools in Mississippi are in places where there are no decent public school options. Lots of parents can only afford to keep their kids their because they are making a significant financial sacrifices. Parents that ponied up the money for tuition would have had to risk alienating the parents of the children that lost playing time and also potentially the parents that were struggling to pay tuition.

I think what was pretty common was for private schools in areas with decent public schools to pick up a lot of players that wanted playing time. These guys would be "recruited" in the sense that coaches would reach out to them, but they didn't really get anything other than playing time. These type players wouldn't be stars, but they would make a small private school much better than you would expect.