PDA

View Full Version : Since I just feel like talking MSU football - what do u want to see this week?

HancockCountyDog
10-13-2015, 04:42 PM
I for one want to see some semblence of a running game.

I want to see continued dominance up front by the defense.

I don't want to see any more 45 yard fgs go through the uprights with 10 yards to spare, just too damn hard to watch.

I want to see Dak from last year and not what we have seen so far this year. He just doesn't seem healthy to me. Im not sure how else to put it, but he doesn't seem right.

I want to see D Lee get a carry and if he gets more than 5 yards, to be allowed to get the next carry.

I'd like to see Donald Gray get passed the ball more than once.

I'd like to see Gerri Green get more playing time.

I'd like to see Chris Jones play like someone who wants this to be his last year in Starkville as opposed to someone who sometimes wants this to be his last year.

Todd4State
10-13-2015, 04:50 PM
For me I want to see a win.

I want to see Dontavian Lee be given the opportunity the be the running back.

I want to see the defense continue to be aggressive.

TrapGame
10-13-2015, 05:02 PM
I want to finally see some good runs.

I want to see Manny unleash the D again.

msstate7
10-13-2015, 05:02 PM
Who cares about our football game? Let's keep talking about OM!**********

I want to see our defense come out aggressive. I don't wanna see us allow la tech to score a td then adjust.

I wanna see Ryan brown build on last week. I expected much more from ry brown than we've got so far. If Ryan plays like last week from here out, we'll have a very nice set of de's.

I wanna see us force multiple turnovers.

I wanna see us score and don't really care if it's passing or running.

I wanna see our young players play a lot

blacklistedbully
10-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Like the OP a lot. Would add to that, want to see us throw the ball to Bear at least 10 times, and at least twice per quarter.

SheltonChoked
10-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Continued aggressive defense

A win

D Lee, D Gray, and M Dear on offense more

Win by enough to let Staley and Fitz get more game time

Mclaurin, peters, JT gray, Bryant, and green on defense a lot

More of the young d line

A dominate performance by the oline

Taog Redloh
10-13-2015, 05:59 PM
I just want to get out of this bitch with a W. That's really it.

Obviously I'd like to see the OL assert itself. I'd like to see more D Lee too.

Liverpooldawg
10-13-2015, 06:37 PM
A win. This game won't be easy.

HoopsDawg
10-13-2015, 08:50 PM
#PTGDF

msstate7
10-13-2015, 08:56 PM
#PTGDF

I agree. Even if we run it well vs la tech and Kentucky. I have serious doubts we can run it is well enough to beat mizzou, bama, Arkansas, and OM. Passing the ball is our only chance to win 9 games this year IMO

HoopsDawg
10-13-2015, 08:59 PM
I agree. Even if we run it well vs la tech and Kentucky. I have serious doubts we can run it is well enough to beat mizzou, bama, Arkansas, and OM. Passing the ball is our only chance to win 9 games this year IMO

No doubt!

tcdog70
10-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Our best Players are our wideouts so throw them the ball. Quit wasting downs running it for shit. When we run let it be
Dak on a scramble . Running the ball is a good plan unless you can't run it for shit, then it is a waste of downs. Screens, swing passes and curls can be our running Game. You know like 8 catching a screen and running 70 yards.

justwin
10-14-2015, 12:14 AM
I want to see alot more of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eomMb8Mzgc

b/c he reminds me so much of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2TfY03kG4

BB30
10-14-2015, 08:22 AM
I want to see alot more of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eomMb8Mzgc

b/c he reminds me so much of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2TfY03kG4

Shaun Alexander couldn't run behind this line with a lot of success against the better teams left on our schedule.

PassInterference
10-14-2015, 08:26 AM
I want to see Ole Miss on probation.

JDog13
10-14-2015, 08:37 AM
We had success dinking dunking against auburn. Opened up longer passes. Halftime we stopped. Wtf. Keep doing it, mix in the deep ball and a few runs. Actually no. Don't do what scores points. Keep playing not to lose.

Coach34
10-14-2015, 08:59 AM
#FreeDLee

NCDawg
10-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Our best Players are our wideouts so throw them the ball. Quit wasting downs running it for shit. When we run let it be
Dak on a scramble . Running the ball is a good plan unless you can't run it for shit, then it is a waste of downs. Screens, swing passes and curls can be our running Game. You know like 8 catching a screen and running 70 yards.

I think you're right. No sense wasting downs when it is pretty well established our OL is incapable of opening holes for our RB's. Just let Dak run the ball sometimes but rely primarily on our passing game.

justwin
10-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Shaun Alexander couldn't run behind this line with a lot of success against the better teams left on our schedule.

Not picking on you in particular, but I'd like to see this with my own eyes before I conclude our OL is not getting it done. Based on what we've seen, all we know is Shump can't run behind this line. We know Holloway can get yards situationally, we know that Lee & Williams can get yards in limited opportunities. I want to see Lee get 20 carries behind this OL and then make this conclusion. Proper usage of personnel makes a difference especially with the OL & running game. If lee gets 20 carries, he'll get 100+ yards, book it.

This is 2012 all over again where Mullen refused to play J-Rob or Griffin.

justwin
10-14-2015, 09:32 AM
#FreeDLee

#FreeDLee#

I won't watch the game live, but when I rewatch the DVR, all I'm to do is chart Lee's plays so when Mullen says how did he do on the other 12 of his 17 plays like last week, I'll know whether he genuinely cares about playing the best RB to help his team win this year. If Lee isn't the best RB, let's just see it proved on the field vs our last creampuff of the season.

Really Clark?
10-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Not picking on you in particular, but I'd like to see this with my own eyes before I conclude our OL is not getting it done. Based on what we've seen, all we know is Shump can't run behind this line. We know Holloway can get yards situationally, we know that Lee & Williams can get yards in limited opportunities. I want to see Lee get 20 carries behind this OL and then make this conclusion. Proper usage of personnel makes a difference especially with the OL & running game. If lee gets 20 carries, he'll get 100+ yards, book it.

2012? Who was beating the drum to pull a 1,000 yard rusher and the 7th leading rusher in the league. And JRob didn't do hardly do much in games to have people thinking he was the next Barry Sanders. Heck if you want to get real about it most considered Milton our 2nd best back and he got more carries early in the year over JRob and Griffin. And when Perk went down nearly everyone was bemoaning the fact that he wouldn't be able to play against LSU and it hurt our chances to win. And in that LSU game when they got their chances JRob 5 for 17 yards, Griffin 11 for 38 yards. It wasn't until the bowl game against Northwestern when JRob really seized that he was the #2 back.

Don't let the 2013 frustrations bleed into 2012 because that wasn't how that season played out. JRob didn't do much against Troy, ok against Kentucky, really good game against Tenn, then 3 rushes for 3 yards against Middle Tenn St in blow out. Milton had 3 rushes for 38 yards. He had more carries but had to miss some time and was limited but you look at the start of the year and Milton performed better and was more consistant in his chances. He just couldn't get in enough to solidify himself. At best JRob was inconsistent but showed a few glimpses. Griffin never was able to get back to what he was before his injury. He showed flashes every now and then but the injuries just overtook him. It's a shame because I don't think we would have had the Perk discussion as much as we do if Griffin stayed healthy. JRob doesn't beat out a 100% Griffin that was signed. He would have been a hoss I believe.

LC Dawg
10-14-2015, 10:05 AM
I'd like to see our defense keep being aggressive and improving.
I'd like to see Dak play the whole game and us work on our passing game because I think starting next week we are going to have to rely on our passing the rest of the year.
I'd like to see some really thick and spicy bloody marys with bacon as stirrers at the tailgate before the game.

BB30
10-14-2015, 10:15 AM

100+ against la tech? would not have anything to do with what I said. Give him 20+ carries against bama and we get run out of the stadium, I think I said Alexander couldn't run behind this line against the better teams left on our schedule not La Tech. D Lee not starting is not our only issue in the run game.

CJDAWG85
10-14-2015, 10:23 AM
I want to see a killer instinct from our players and coaches for a complete game. Not one half.

I want aggressive play calling on both sides of the ball.

I want Lee to run the ball. Guy has great vision and very shifty. Reminds me of Dicenzo Miller and J-Rock.

I want to see our O-Line get any sort of push.

State82
10-14-2015, 10:28 AM
#PTGDF

I want to see the "P" stand for "pass" rather than "punt"

CadaverDawg
10-14-2015, 10:28 AM
I want Lee to run the ball. Reminds me of Dicenzo Miller and J-Rock.

Never thought I'd see that^ comparison.

I do want to see Lee a lot this weekend. It would make me extremely happy if Holloway and Shumpert didn't get a single carry...they all went to Lee, Williams, Dear, and the QB's.

I also want to see us get more creative on offense. Dan's lackluster play calling is getting tired.

Maroonthirteen
10-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, you are right. Re-watching our offensive series vs LSU, aTm and Troy.........our OL is s l o w. Therefore, OL can barely block the 2-3 guys in front of them much more, get to the 2nd level to block the LB. Hell, our backside G cant pull and get to the playside hole before the RB and LB. anyway.......yeah, we would need a RB with the speed of Carnell Williams and power of Fournette to make defenders miss and break tackles. Because we ain't blocking worth a damn.

ALso, our inside zone read option is way to deliberate and deep in the back field. The DEs are committing to nothing. They can sit there, read what Dak does and still have plenty of time to slide down the line and make a tackle either way.

Frustrating......Hevesy was visibly frustrated as well Saturday.

justwin
10-14-2015, 11:02 AM
2012? Who was beating the drum to pull a 1,000 yard rusher and the 7th leading rusher in the league. And JRob didn't do hardly do much in games to have people thinking he was the next Barry Sanders. Heck if you want to get real about it most considered Milton our 2nd best back and he got more carries early in the year over JRob and Griffin. And when Perk went down nearly everyone was bemoaning the fact that he wouldn't be able to play against LSU and it hurt our chances to win. And in that LSU game when they got their chances JRob 5 for 17 yards, Griffin 11 for 38 yards. It wasn't until the bowl game against Northwestern when JRob really seized that he was the #2 back.

Don't let the 2013 frustrations bleed into 2012 because that wasn't how that season played out. JRob didn't do much against Troy, ok against Kentucky, really good game against Tenn, then 3 rushes for 3 yards against Middle Tenn St in blow out. Milton had 3 rushes for 38 yards. He had more carries but had to miss some time and was limited but you look at the start of the year and Milton performed better and was more consistant in his chances. He just couldn't get in enough to solidify himself. At best JRob was inconsistent but showed a few glimpses. Griffin never was able to get back to what he was before his injury. He showed flashes every now and then but the injuries just overtook him. It's a shame because I don't think we would have had the Perk discussion as much as we do if Griffin stayed healthy. JRob doesn't beat out a 100% Griffin that was signed. He would have been a hoss I believe.

Most of the MSU fans that watched 2012 knew that the 1K Perk got wouldn't hold up vs Bama, LSU, OM and it didn't. In those 3 games that mattered, he was very ineffective and couldn't move the pile like J-Rob or Griffin could. We lost LSU b/c Clark can't catch TD passes. But make no mistake we were in the LSU game through the 3Q using our bigger backs who could move the pile and at least keep the D honest. Vs Bama, OM....Perk had no threat of moving the pile and making the D respect the run. So, on the road vs LSU, we were 16 / 55 which kept the D honest and allowed our passing game to open up...our WRs didn't come through that game. Vs Bama that year, Perk couldn't move the pile which, surprisingly, is kind of like Shump this year. J-Rob and Griffin moved the pile vs Bama in 2012.

2013 is a whole different animal. all I think about in 2013 is J-Rob's lone 50 yard TD run vs TXAM which is eerily similar to Dear's run this year. Then, limited carries after that.

My point is that Shump and Holloway won't move the pile vs Bama this year which we already know. We don't know if Lee will, but it's worth auditioning him for it vs La Tech so we at least know if can / can't before concluding that our OL is subpar and going strictly pass.

justwin
10-14-2015, 11:10 AM
100+ against la tech? would not have anything to do with what I said. Give him 20+ carries against bama and we get run out of the stadium, I think I said Alexander couldn't run behind this line against the better teams left on our schedule not La Tech. D Lee not starting is not our only issue in the run game.

I understand your point, but I'm just not willing to concede we'll get run out of the stadium until we see what Lee can do with more carries. If we wait until Bama to play Lee or even Williams exclusively, it's a guaranteed loss. I do think that a big back like Lee coupled with our passing game this year is enough to take Bama into the 4Q with a shot to win. Just think for a moment of how a 100 yard rusher in Lee or Williams this weekend does for the psyche of our entire offense, especially OL going back into SEC play. It will fix several issues.

What I like about Alexander and Lee is the abililty to scrape over to hole. Just the ability to quickly lift and shift their feet when garbage is around their ankles and then husky enough to make it tough on defenders to get them down if they tackle up high.

BB30
10-14-2015, 11:15 AM
I understand your point, but I'm just not willing to concede we'll get run out of the stadium until we see what Lee can do with more carries. If we wait until Bama to play Lee or even Williams exclusively, it's a guaranteed loss. I do think that a big back like Lee coupled with our passing game this year is enough to take Bama into the 4Q with a shot to win. Just think for a moment of how a 100 yard rusher in Lee or Williams this weekend does for the psyche of our entire offense, especially OL going back into SEC play. It will fix several issues.

What I like about Alexander and Lee is the abililty to scrape over to hole. Just the ability to quickly lift and shift their feet when garbage is around their ankles and then husky enough to make it tough on defenders to get them down if they tackle up high.

Again, I see your point but lee with 20+ carries wont go for 100 against bama. So, yes I understand you are frustrated Lee is not playing, I get it. I just don't agree that he is the savior of our season and I don't agree that giving him 20+ carries against bama is how we win that game. I want to see Lee just as bad as you but I also don't think he fixes everything with our running game. I actually think it is on the O line more than it is Lee's lack of carries.

Really Clark?
10-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Most of the MSU fans that watched 2012 knew that the 1K Perk got wouldn't hold up vs Bama, LSU, OM and it didn't. In those 3 games that mattered, he was very ineffective and couldn't move the pile like J-Rob or Griffin could. We lost LSU b/c Clark can't catch TD passes. But make no mistake we were in the LSU game through the 3Q using our bigger backs who could move the pile and at least keep the D honest. Vs Bama, OM....Perk had no threat of moving the pile and making the D respect the run. So, on the road vs LSU, we were 16 / 55 which kept the D honest and allowed our passing game to open up...our WRs didn't come through that game. Vs Bama that year, Perk couldn't move the pile which, surprisingly, is kind of like Shump this year. J-Rob and Griffin moved the pile vs Bama in 2012.

2013 is a whole different animal. all I think about in 2013 is J-Rob's lone 50 yard TD run vs TXAM which is eerily similar to Dear's run this year. Then, limited carries after that.

My point is that Shump and Holloway won't move the pile vs Bama this year which we already know. We don't know if Lee will, but it's worth auditioning him for it vs La Tech so we at least know if can / can't before concluding that our OL is subpar and going strictly pass.

Baloney. Most MSU fans most certainly were not thinking like that in 2012. As I stated earlier MOST were worried we couldn't compete against LSU because Perk was out. You are being blinded by 2013 projections. Those big backs were no more effective against LSU as Perk was against Bama. Perk was 15 for 40 against the # 1 ranked rushing defense in the country who allowed only 58.6 yards per game in league games that year. JRob and Griffin rushed for a combined 55 yards against the #9 rush defense who allowed 85.6. There was no difference in production vs competition. None. And one of the biggest problems in the LSU game, and probably cost Milton the most, was his fumble on our side of the field while we were ahead. We never regained the lead after that. And JRob and Griffin both were below Milton in most people's minds before the fumble. You are trying rewrite history of what people thought from the 2013 season. Yeah people complained about play calling and using a bigger back in Milton situationally inside and short yardage BUT not about Perk being #1 RB that year.

justwin
10-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Baloney. Most MSU fans most certainly were not thinking like that in 2012. As I stated earlier MOST were worried we couldn't compete against LSU because Perk was out. You are being blinded by 2013 projections. Those big backs were no more effective against LSU as Perk was against Bama. Perk was 15 for 40 against the # 1 ranked rushing defense in the country who allowed only 58.6 yards per game in league games that year. JRob and Griffin rushed for a combined 55 yards against the #9 rush defense who allowed 85.6. There was no difference in production vs competition. None. And one of the biggest problems in the LSU game, and probably cost Milton the most, was his fumble on our side of the field while we were ahead. We never regained the lead after that. And JRob and Griffin both were below Milton in most people's minds before the fumble. You are trying rewrite history of what people thought from the 2013 season. Yeah people complained about play calling and using a bigger back in Milton situationally inside and short yardage BUT not about Perk being #1 RB that year.

you're overthinking this. Do me a favor and go look at the 1st two drives vs Bama & LSU in 2012. The trend is simple...Perk not effective while J-Rob/Griffin effective. Hell, we were winning 7-0 vs LSU in BR. Vs Bama, Tyler got us down the field to respond to their opening td with no help in the running game. Then, the first carry Griff gets he drives a LB back 5 yards.

2013 has nothing to do with with my point. We didn't have the passing game in 2013 like we did in 2012 and this year. Quit trying to be the hall monitor and put words in other's mouth just b/c you don't understand. I knew several people that wished Perk would be the complementary back in 2012 like he was in previous years. Fumbles & turnovers can skew anything but J-Rob, Griff, and Milton were more effective vs the bigger teams.

justwin
10-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Again, I see your point but lee with 20+ carries wont go for 100 against bama. So, yes I understand you are frustrated Lee is not playing, I get it. I just don't agree that he is the savior of our season and I don't agree that giving him 20+ carries against bama is how we win that game. I want to see Lee just as bad as you but I also don't think he fixes everything with our running game. I actually think it is on the O line more than it is Lee's lack of carries.

No, I think Lee with 20 carries vs La Tech is 100 and the team gains confidence that we can run the ball. As for Bama, the only thing I can go off of vs Bama is how our big backs did vs them under Mullen when given ~ 20 touches or carries. When given ~ 20 touches (run or pass), Vick, J-Rob last year, and Boobie all got 80-100+ yards. No, I don't think Lee is the savior but a step in the right direction as he's big man and the SEC is a big man league. I just want to see how the OL responds when blocking for a legit back.

Really Clark?
10-14-2015, 12:12 PM
you're overthinking this. Do me a favor and go look at the 1st two drives vs Bama & LSU in 2012. The trend is simple...Perk not effective while J-Rob/Griffin effective. Hell, we were winning 7-0 vs LSU in BR. Vs Bama, Tyler got us down the field to respond to their opening td with no help in the running game. Then, the first carry Griff gets he drives a LB back 5 yards.

2013 has nothing to do with with my point. We didn't have the passing game in 2013 like we did in 2012 and this year. Quit trying to be the hall monitor and put words in other's mouth just b/c you don't understand. I knew several people that wished Perk would be the complementary back in 2012 like he was in previous years. Fumbles & turnovers can skew anything but J-Rob, Griff, and Milton were more effective vs the bigger teams.

You knowing several people who thought like you doesn't equal most fans and most fans, including a lot of the ones on the message boards, did not think JRob or Griffin should have been the #1 RB. Milton was given the most opportunities and was the most consistant guy to be considered Perks complementary back. He had to miss some time and the fumble hurt him. In the second drive against LSU JRob had 2 rushes for 4 yards. That did not signal, see how much better than Perk he is. JRob's other 13 yards came as we were finishing out the game on the last drive when the game was already over. In the Bama game they stuffed us rushing. Yes they did. Griffin had a draw run for 9 yards (we threw the ball a lot). Perk runs the same draw 2 or 3 series later in the first half for 7 yards. JRob got one carry for 15 yards at the end of the game. Milton came in before he did.

BB30
10-14-2015, 03:37 PM
This years o line is not the same as last years o line nor does it have a derek sherrod and Gabe Jackson anchoring one side as did Dixon/vic ballards o line. You cannot run between the tackles against a superior defensive line without at decent o line play or an above average threat throwing the football which we happen to have. Save one big run Nick Chubb doesn't go over 100 against bama. Ill take an average running back and a great o line over an all american running back and no o line any day of the week.

My thoughts are those guys don't put up those numbers without a decent offensive line. I'm agreeing with you in the fact that Dontavian is probably our best option but it will not make a bit of difference without better play up front and I assure you the offensive line is not slacking because Shump is running the football.

justwin
10-14-2015, 06:19 PM
You knowing several people who thought like you doesn't equal most fans and most fans, including a lot of the ones on the message boards, did not think JRob or Griffin should have been the #1 RB. Milton was given the most opportunities and was the most consistant guy to be considered Perks complementary back. He had to miss some time and the fumble hurt him. In the second drive against LSU JRob had 2 rushes for 4 yards. That did not signal, see how much better than Perk he is. JRob's other 13 yards came as we were finishing out the game on the last drive when the game was already over. In the Bama game they stuffed us rushing. Yes they did. Griffin had a draw run for 9 yards (we threw the ball a lot). Perk runs the same draw 2 or 3 series later in the first half for 7 yards. JRob got one carry for 15 yards at the end of the game. Milton came in before he did.

conjecture. just wrong, our fans didn't want Perk as the feature back...wanted Dan to use him properly as a complementary back like his first few years, but not feature back. Everyone knew he was too small to hang vs the bigger teams. It's the same verse with Holloway now. The first drives vs Bama, perk had 4 carries for 2 yards. It was all downhill after that due to several issues. It doesn't matter if it would've been Milton/Griff/J-Rob as the feature but not the smaller guy, Perk.

In the bama game, they stuffed Perkins moreso than "us"....there's distinction. If we trot out Shump or Holloway this year, it will be like 2012 all over again, my original point.

EngineerDawg
10-14-2015, 07:00 PM
#RTGDF, #RTGDF, and finally #RTGDF. I want ours backs to become comfortable running between the tackles. Look, we know we can pass effectively so lets setup the run in this game early and then run run run. Hopefully the take away would be a rhythm.

Really Clark?
10-14-2015, 07:40 PM
conjecture. just wrong, our fans didn't want Perk as the feature back...wanted Dan to use him properly as a complementary back like his first few years, but not feature back. Everyone knew he was too small to hang vs the bigger teams. It's the same verse with Holloway now. The first drives vs Bama, perk had 4 carries for 2 yards. It was all downhill after that due to several issues. It doesn't matter if it would've been Milton/Griff/J-Rob as the feature but not the smaller guy, Perk.

In the bama game, they stuffed Perkins moreso than "us"....there's distinction. If we trot out Shump or Holloway this year, it will be like 2012 all over again, my original point.

Your whole point was it did matter that we didn't use JRob or Griffin (you never even brought up Milton who was initially used more than the other two anyway). The premise that you limit a 1,000 yard rusher for guys who even through the LSU game had not proven to be any more effective during that year even during Bama or LSU games. That the comparison you are making to this season and our running problems. It's a totally different situation and you don't cut your primary backs rushes for a guy who got 3 yards on 3 carries against Middle Tenn State in trash runs. That was JRob. He showed flashes at times but also missed lanes, assignments, etc. Now if you want to argue that he finally started to put it together in the Bowl Game. Fine I can see that. But he did not during the season. I already agreed that people didn't like the play calls of him up the middle. But you were not arguing a situational back in comparison. You want D Lee to get 20 carries a game. That's the feature back and you compared that to 2012 and Perk & Co. That is not using them in 2012 situationally or complentary to Perk. And that is what I said. Nobody was really calling for one of the other guys to be the #1 RB over Perk back then because Perk was getting yards. And at times a lot of yards. He was avg what? 5.25 yards per carry even after the Bama and A & M games. That's who you think people were as frustrated as we are right now to sit for another RB. People were not anywhere close to where we are right now over RB in 2012.