PDA

View Full Version : USC Coaching Prospect #9

basedog
10-13-2015, 08:37 AM
I was somewhat surprised by this but what is said about Mullen is right on the money. Like ARO44 I agree that a good coach's staying 10 years is pretty much unheard in modern day terms. With him being in year 7 and with expectations higher than they ever have been, I'm wondering if he is close to his end at Msu. He has enough money now to make it the rest of his life and he could take a gamble and leave on his own accord and take a job say at Miami. I don't think USC would be interested in Mullen nor he in them.

I will say this again about coaches and good or bad fits, money isn't "always" the most important thing. Just saying.

9. Dan Mullen
If this opening had come up last year when Mississippi State was rising to No. 1, Mullen would be on everyone?s list. Think about that: For several weeks last season, Mississippi State was No. 1 in the country for goodness sakes. Mullen isn't everyone?s cup of tea, but the fact that a blunt Yankee has thrived in the deep South shows he's smart and adaptable. Mullen has lots of energy, is excellent at evaluating talent and is on the cusp of leading the Bulldogs to a sixth consecutive bowl game. That's unprecedented at a historically tough place to win!

civildawg
10-13-2015, 08:53 AM
This is just Dan Wolken's opinion of who he thinks would be a good fit. I doubt USC even gives mullen a call.

Johnson85
10-13-2015, 08:57 AM
I was somewhat surprised by this but what is said about Mullen is right on the money. Like ARO44 I agree that a good coach's staying 10 years is pretty much unheard in modern day terms. With him being in year 7 and with expectations higher than they ever have been, I'm wondering if he is close to his end at Msu. He has enough money now to make it the rest of his life and he could take a gamble and leave on his own accord and take a job say at Miami. I don't think USC would be interested in Mullen nor he in them.

I will say this again about coaches and good or bad fits, money isn't "always" the most important thing. Just saying.

9. Dan Mullen
If this opening had come up last year when Mississippi State was rising to No. 1, Mullen would be on everyone?s list. Think about that: For several weeks last season, Mississippi State was No. 1 in the country for goodness sakes. Mullen isn't everyone?s cup of tea, but the fact that a blunt Yankee has thrived in the deep South shows he's smart and adaptable. Mullen has lots of energy, is excellent at evaluating talent and is on the cusp of leading the Bulldogs to a sixth consecutive bowl game. That's unprecedented at a historically tough place to win!

Mullen is not going to leave just when he can finally enjoy the fruits of his labor. He's in an outstanding position at QB. We're ready to reload at receiver it appears. Our young safeties are good. Our young LB corp is pretty much stacked. We're ok at RB (good if we can convince Dear to move or if DLee can get out of Mullen's doghouse) and that's a relatively easy fix at MSU regardless. He's got work to do on the Oline, but Jenkins and Calhoun have him halfway there and he also has Rankin for two more years, Senior for one, Clayborne for one. The Dline and CB probably has him a little worried.

I do think at the end of the next 3 years, he may consider moving. At that point, unless he has gotten us into the playoffs, the relationship will probably be a little stale and it will be hard for him to keep up the necessary intensity. If he doesn't move then, then he'll probably be the next Beamer. Just looking at the age of his kids and his competitiveness, I think he'll end up going the Beamer route. They'll be comfortable in Starkville and probably not looking to uproot the family. Also, while I think he'd be too competitive to just retire, I'm not sure he's so driven that he would take a lateral move to build or rebuild a program (which is probably all that would be available).

If he makes it into the playoffs and a top 6 opening comes available, who knows what he'll do. There won't be any reason to move except out of recognition that fan base expectations of continued improvement make it just about impossible to keep fan bases happy beyond ten years.

basedog
10-13-2015, 08:58 AM
This is just Dan Wolken's opinion of who he thinks would be a good fit. I doubt USC even gives mullen a call.

I agree, I stated that and I don't think Mullen would be interested.

Johnson85
10-13-2015, 09:03 AM

USC would have to be delusional to think Mullen was a realistic target. USCe might win out if a candidate was looking at head coaching job offers from MSU and USCe, but USCe is not going to poach a head coach from MSU unless it's because there has been a falling out between the coach and the administration.

basedog
10-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Mullen is not going to leave just when he can finally enjoy the fruits of his labor. He's in an outstanding position at QB. We're ready to reload at receiver it appears. Our young safeties are good. Our young LB corp is pretty much stacked. We're ok at RB (good if we can convince Dear to move or if DLee can get out of Mullen's doghouse) and that's a relatively easy fix at MSU regardless. He's got work to do on the Oline, but Jenkins and Calhoun have him halfway there and he also has Rankin for two more years, Senior for one, Clayborne for one. The Dline and CB probably has him a little worried.

I do think at the end of the next 3 years, he may consider moving. At that point, unless he has gotten us into the playoffs, the relationship will probably be a little stale and it will be hard for him to keep up the necessary intensity. If he doesn't move then, then he'll probably be the next Beamer. Just looking at the age of his kids and his competitiveness, I think he'll end up going the Beamer route. They'll be comfortable in Starkville and probably not looking to uproot the family. Also, while I think he'd be too competitive to just retire, I'm not sure he's so driven that he would take a lateral move to build or rebuild a program (which is probably all that would be available).

If he makes it into the playoffs and a top 6 opening comes available, who knows what he'll do. There won't be any reason to move except out of recognition that fan base expectations of continued improvement make it just about impossible to keep fan bases happy beyond ten years.

Well stated.

Bubb Rubb
10-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Mullen may leave, but it won't be for Carolina. That job isn't an upgrade from what he has now.

Thick
10-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Mullen may leave, but it won't be for Carolina. That job isn't an upgrade from what he has now.

Whoever takes that job will have at least 2 maybe 3 years before they are competing in the SEC.

Martianlander
10-13-2015, 11:07 AM
I believe that article that basedog referred to was on Southern Cal, although the comments above could apply to either school as far as Mullen's goes.

Jack Lambert
10-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Chip Kelly is going to end back up in college. USC's might make a play.

MedDawg
10-13-2015, 11:16 AM

9. Dan Mullen

Mullen is making more at State than Sarkisian was making at USC

sleepy dawg
10-13-2015, 11:30 AM
If Mullen leaves it will be because our fans have pushed him out.

preachermatt83
10-13-2015, 11:58 AM
USCw will hire Chip Kelly. USCe will hire either Bobby Petrino or Mark Richt

Johnson85
10-13-2015, 11:59 AM
I believe that article that basedog referred to was on Southern Cal, although the comments above could apply to either school as far as Mullen's goes.

That makes a lot more sense. Just assumed USCe with the recent news about Spurrier, but I guess that's not much fresher news than Sark's firing. USCw is one of the few programs that has the resources and prestige where it would at least make sense for Mullen to consider it. Not sure if they care about football enough to make it happen. If they did, I would assume they'd be in play for Chip Kelly.

If it was looking like we were about to take a significant step back talent wise, I might would worry about the USCw job being open. They could do a lot worse than Mullen and if he was looking at some lean years ahead here, that might be tempting to him.

Johnson85
10-13-2015, 12:01 PM
USCw will hire Chip Kelly. USCe will hire either Bobby Petrino or Mark Richt

I think Bobby Petrino's buyout will make that prohibitive. I don't know that the details were published, but I think there were some statements made when Petrino was hired that UL would not hire him unless they had pretty strong guarantees that he would be willing to stay a long time.

ETA: Looks like a $10M buyout if he leaves before completing the 2017 season, with it decreasing after that. Doesn't say what it decreases to, but unless it's a steep dropoff, I'm guessing his contract will keep him in Louisville for at least five if not six years of the initial seven year term.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10268012/louisville-cardinals-hire-bobby-petrino-football-coach

basedog
10-13-2015, 12:39 PM
I think Bobby Petrino's buyout will make that prohibitive. I don't know that the details were published, but I think there were some statements made when Petrino was hired that UL would not hire him unless they had pretty strong guarantees that he would be willing to stay a long time.

ETA: Looks like a $10M buyout if he leaves before completing the 2017 season, with it decreasing after that. Doesn't say what it decreases to, but unless it's a steep dropoff, I'm guessing his contract will keep him in Louisville for at least five if not six years of the initial seven year term.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10268012/louisville-cardinals-hire-bobby-petrino-football-coach

I'm not sure Petrino is in demand anymore. I wouldn't want him.

Jack Lambert
10-13-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure Petrino is in demand anymore. Might be. I suspect if he doesn't land at S Carolina he will end up at Auburn. I don't see Guss having the coaching ability to fix his problem unless he lucks up with some really good QB.

basedog
10-13-2015, 12:49 PM
One can only imagine what was going thru his mind when he flipped his bike with a hot young chick.

Martianlander
10-13-2015, 12:59 PM
One can only imagine what was going thru his mind when he flipped his bike with a hot young chick.

Certainly hadn't signed up with Freeze for a Haiti mission trip.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Tom Herman or Justin Fuentes would be very high on my list if I'm South Carolina.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Tom Herman or Justin Fuentes would be very high on my list if I'm South Carolina.

Those would definitely be my top two guys. Slight preference for Herman.

msstate7
10-13-2015, 01:37 PM
If Texas fires strong, I think he would be a good fit at usce. On the east coast, his Miami recruiting connection would work much better

msstate7
10-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Those would definitely be my top two guys. Slight preference for Herman.

I really like Herman

Ifyouonlyknew
10-13-2015, 01:48 PM
If Texas fires strong, I think he would be a good fit at usce. On the east coast, his Miami recruiting connection would work much better

Don't see Strong getting fired.

Johnson85
10-13-2015, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure Petrino is in demand anymore. I wouldn't want him.

Short of him going on an absolute tear at UL, he won't be in demand for the highest profile jobs, but I think USCe would be well within his reach if he puts together two good years at UL (and if his buyout weren't prohibitive).

In the SECW, since the SEC took off, MSU has hired an OC from a major school who couldn't go just anywhere at the time. UM hired a HC from Ark St. with only what, one year experience? They certainly didn't have a lot of good options at the time. UK hired a Stoops for his first HC job. Depending on what other jobs were available, I could definitely see USCe having to pick between a coordinator at a major school or a head coach from a small school who is not one of the three or four hot names at that time. If USCe was looking at rolling the dice on somebody like that or taking somebody who had won at UL, won at Ark, then won at West Kentucky, and then won at UL again, I'd have to think Petrino would be competitive.

But with his buyout, I think it's all irrelevant. By the time his buyout isn't prohibitive, he'll have either built UL up to the point that there is no point in leaving or he won't be competitive for the jobs that are clearly a step up from Louisivlle.