PDA

View Full Version : Butch interviewing with Auburn??

ScoobaDawg
10-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Just a rumor I'm hearing.. evidently he, pat murphy, and jack leggette are top 3 choices. Tim Hudson has been thrown around but that has to be like someone mentioning Paul Maholm or Jay Powell rumors with us.

Coach34
10-12-2015, 07:39 PM
He's in the Final 3

Homedawg
10-12-2015, 08:15 PM
If they give the job to pat Murphy they've lost their minds. Just fired one nut job don't need another.

Todd4State
10-12-2015, 08:17 PM
If they give the job to pat Murphy they've lost their minds. Just fired one nut job don't need another.

Leggett is the most qualified of the three.

I seen it dawg
10-12-2015, 08:22 PM
By far

ScoobaDawg
10-12-2015, 08:31 PM
http://www.d1baseball.com/the-buzz/coaching-buzz-auburn-courting-candidates/

Todd4State
10-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Here's another article.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2015/10/12/msu-assistant-butch-thompson-interested-auburn/72975476/

Coach34
10-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Leggett is the most qualified of the three.

Leggette is old. I think they pass. I think Butch gets it

MsStateBaseball
10-12-2015, 09:29 PM
About 8-10 will be interviewed.

mparkerfd20
10-12-2015, 10:09 PM
I hope he bombs his interview. I'd rather he stay at State.

TUSK
10-12-2015, 10:24 PM
wait just a minute...

oh, yall are talkin' bout "baseball"????

We talkin' bout "baseball"?

TheAnswerKU

Johnson85
10-13-2015, 08:18 AM
It will sort of piss me off if he takes it. I'm all about coaches doing what is best for themselves and their families. But I feel like there is a "window" for coaches to jump jobs each year. Once the window is closed, you're part of the team and should be committed to finishing out the year until the window opens again the next year. If a job opening comes up after the window is closed because of illness or because somebody is fired for cause, the season should be finished up by an interim.

Not saying I would blame the guy, but if I were a head coach or an athletic director, I would be done with anybody that jumped ship mid season. This is obviously not exactly mid season, but it doesn't change the fact that he would be leaving his team in a position with limited options for replacing him this year.

missouridawg
10-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Spoiler Alert - Butch is going to be announced later today as the new coach at Auburn.

shoeless joe
10-13-2015, 09:41 AM
It will sort of piss me off if he takes it. I'm all about coaches doing what is best for themselves and their families. But I feel like there is a "window" for coaches to jump jobs each year. Once the window is closed, you're part of the team and should be committed to finishing out the year until the window opens again the next year. If a job opening comes up after the window is closed because of illness or because somebody is fired for cause, the season should be finished up by an interim.

Not saying I would blame the guy, but if I were a head coach or an athletic director, I would be done with anybody that jumped ship mid season. This is obviously not exactly mid season, but it doesn't change the fact that he would be leaving his team in a position with limited options for replacing him this year.

How will you feel when we poach somebody's pitching coach and they end up being really good?

AusTexDawg
10-13-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm concerned about a Butch move to Auburn limiting our pipeline for AL talent.

mparkerfd20
10-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Spoiler Alert - Butch is going to be announced later today as the new coach at Auburn.

Well shit. I don't mind losing him overall, just hate losing him right now.

Homedawg
10-13-2015, 10:51 AM
Well shit. I don't mind losing him overall, just hate losing him right now.

This. The timing is awful. Signing day coming up. Season ahead. Going to be tough mid season to find someone. With all that said, he had to take it. Don't blame him a bit.

Johnson85
10-13-2015, 10:57 AM
How will you feel when we poach somebody's pitching coach and they end up being really good?

What kind of question is that? I will be happy that we ended up ok. But do you really think it's likely we upgrade over Butch when we have to go looking in October rather than in the summer?

Saltydog
10-13-2015, 11:00 AM
be honest. He's from N MS and all of his family is still there but I guess career wise he had too take it. I don't think it'll be that much more money though but at least he controls his own destiny.

MsStateBaseball
10-13-2015, 03:06 PM
Until I see official release its just gossip.

MSUDawg99
10-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Until I see official release its just gossip.

Agreed. I haven't seen anything circulating on Twitter. What are we talking about?

bulldogcountry1
10-14-2015, 07:27 AM
I was anxious to see how Butch adjusted his coaching philosophy after a pretty rough season with the new balls. It actually says a lot that he is still a hot commodity after laying an egg this past season.

If this indeed is true, then is all around bad for us. First off, the timing is awful. Secondly, he will now be recruiting against us. Lastly, he's a good coach. I've had my doubts about him at times since he has been here, but he managed to build a good staff for the BBCOR era. He's been bringing in some young stars too.

I guess if Auburn can pluck away a good coach this time of the year, so can we. As long as Cohen doesn't pull a Croom and promote from within...

missouridawg
10-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Looks like my prediction fell flat on its face. And for once, I'm kind of happy it did. Hopefully Butch stays. He's an excellent pitching coach.

dickiedawg
10-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Didn't Butch turn down the Georgia job? That's twice the opportunity Auburn is. Hashtag lottery state.

Homedawg
10-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Didn't Butch turn down the Georgia job? That's twice the opportunity Auburn is. Hashtag lottery state.

No. He didn't turn Georgia down.

Saltydog
10-14-2015, 08:10 AM
are going in a different direction or that your prognostication from yesterday was simply incorrect?

bulldogcountry1
10-14-2015, 08:32 AM
I don't know what Butch's aspirations are. I've never met him. I can only go by what I've heard from other people, and it makes sense. Butch has a pretty sweet gig where he is. He is close to "home", and that typically makes the family happy. He's making good money, he's nationally recognized as one of the best in his field, he gets to do speaking engagements, recruit, and let Cohen make all the tough decisions. I've seen actual quotes from him where he's thankful that the doesn't have to make those hard decisions (cuts, managing scholarships, etc), so that's obviously something that's on his mind when he considers a head job.

I really think his relationship with Cohen will be the key factor in whatever he does.

If nothing else, he has to show some courtesy to big time schools who want an interview. He doesn't want those doors to stop closing when the situation changes and he's ready to move on. I imagine it's a bit awkward around the offices, and he has to do a lot of explaining to recruits and players, though.

maroonmania
10-14-2015, 11:03 AM
I don't know what Butch's aspirations are. I've never met him. I can only go by what I've heard from other people, and it makes sense. Butch has a pretty sweet gig where he is. He is close to "home", and that typically makes the family happy. He's making good money, he's nationally recognized as one of the best in his field, he gets to do speaking engagements, recruit, and let Cohen make all the tough decisions. I've seen actual quotes from him where he's thankful that the doesn't have to make those hard decisions (cuts, managing scholarships, etc), so that's obviously something that's on his mind when he considers a head job.

I really think his relationship with Cohen will be the key factor in whatever he does.

If nothing else, he has to show some courtesy to big time schools who want an interview. He doesn't want those doors to stop closing when the situation changes and he's ready to move on. I imagine it's a bit awkward around the offices, and he has to do a lot of explaining to recruits and players, though.

Also, while he may have some aspirations to eventually be a HC, he just got in probably the best group of pitching recruits we've ever had in one class. I'm sure he would like to have the opportunity to coach them.

I seen it dawg
10-14-2015, 11:46 AM
I was in Butch's situation in my former life....he needs to stay right where he is. It won't get any better for him than what he is doing. The extra money he will make won't make up for all the bullshit and headaches that comes along with being the head guy for which he will eventually get shit canned.

missouridawg
10-14-2015, 11:54 AM
are going in a different direction or that your prognostication from yesterday was simply incorrect?

I was told that Butch was offered the job and was highly likely to accept it and that it would be finished yesterday. Clearly, that information proved to be somewhat off.

bulldogcountry1
10-14-2015, 02:34 PM
I was in Butch's situation in my former life....he needs to stay right where he is. It won't get any better for him than what he is doing. The extra money he will make won't make up for all the bullshit and headaches that comes along with being the head guy for which he will eventually get shit canned.

I think many people can relate, yet, more often than not, they are willing to take on a lot more stress for a little bit more money and a title. It's a pride thing.

MsStateBaseball
10-14-2015, 02:53 PM
I just don't see it. Mainly leaving now is bad timing and I think Butch won't leave. If this was June, yes.

defiantdog
10-14-2015, 03:49 PM
It sounds like Auburn really wants Butch, but they are also interviewing Jack Leggett. I guess they'll offer Leggett if Butch turns down the offer.

bobcat91
10-14-2015, 04:52 PM
The timing is terrible. Auburn should use an assistant this year and get a coach next off season. It would definitely hurt us this year. Hope he stays.

MSUDawg99
10-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Butch is at game 1 of the Bulldog World Series...FWIW

Taog Redloh
10-14-2015, 05:39 PM
Butch is at game 1 of the Bulldog World Series...FWIW
Sounds like he made the right decision. Auburn is not a good job. After the next few years working with the talent we have, he'll probably be able to get a shot a school with much more potential. I am also guessing he probably will not want to directly compete with Cohen. It's just a bad time all-around and hopefully he knows that. Yes I know he has Alabama connections but those are benefiting him just as much at MSU as they would at Auburn.