PDA

View Full Version : For any soccer fans out there...

CadaverDawg
07-24-2013, 10:34 PM
USA is looking pretty damn good heading into the Finals of the Gold Cup. Old man Donovan was showing out today.

And don't look now, but Panama is up 2-1 on Mexico in the 68th minute. Could be a Panama vs USA Final.

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I love watching the US team. Does anyone know if winning this tournament means much? I figure winning ANY tournament is a big deal for the US in soccer. Are we anywhere near being decent enough to compete for a World Cup? Will we ever?

Will James
07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Coach is probably the biggest soccer fan on the board.

camsu
07-24-2013, 11:16 PM
We finally have a great coach for our Team and more of our players are overseas which is good. That said we are a looooooooooong way from the top teams. We could make QFinals in WC would be great. Living here in CA and reffing highest level youth for 25 yrs we are improving but so is everyone else. Tough road. WC is great fun if you ever get a chance to go. Best time I have ever had a sporting event.

LiterallyPolice
07-24-2013, 11:28 PM
We aren't close to beating a Brazil or Spain on the big stage. But we could definitely make a deep run in the World Cup with the right draw and by getting hot at the right time.

Hell, in 2002 we we're very close to the semifinals. We outplayed Germany for 90 minutes but lost 1-0 in the quarters.

Given the progress US soccer has made in the past 20 yrs, I really do think we should be highly competitive in a few decades.

ShotgunDawg
07-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Klinsmann seems to be doing a great job. I've never seen the USA create their own offense like they have over the past few months. We used to just score on the other team's mistakes. He's gonna be like the Nick Saban of US soccer

deepikarai
07-25-2013, 06:28 AM
What you are saying man there are hardly any guy who dont like soccer. I can see every single match of soccer.

hometowndawg
07-25-2013, 08:16 AM
What happened with our coach getting sent off late in the game? The announcers said he might not be able to come back for the final match. Looked like the head ref needed to take a lashing from Klinsmann and move on. It's not like you have to be around the coaches a great deal during a match