PDA

View Full Version : Mullen press conference 10/12/2015

elitedawgs
10-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Donations & supplies being taken at the Bryan Building for SC flood victims - visit hailstate.com

Thought we played really well in the first half, played to the standard we've come to expect at Mississippi State. Made big plays down the field, played aggressively.

Started solid for the 3rd quarter, some of the guys kinda hit cruise control, we as coaches can't let that happen. Have to play 4 quarters, didn't play as hard as we needed to in the second half. Need to improve execution. La Tech is a talented team, I think their QB is a big time player, great arm, very accurate, makes all the throws, big physical QB, he's the real deal. He's a legit big time player. One of the best RB's in America, he didn't play last week, so he's extra rested. Very explosive offense. Defense is well coached, plays hard, will make it a challenge for us.

OL play first half

Well at times, made a few mistakes here and there. Times we were excellent, times we were glaring, it was one guy glaring. It wasn't their best game, they played solid.

Q: Flashes from Donald Gray

He's made some downfield plays, he's learning routes, becoming a better player. He's misusing some assignments. he's learning how to be a football player at this level.

Q: Help to have Manny since he was at LaTech last year

You can see it on film, I don't know it gets us anything.

Q: Dak as Jr compared to Sr

Very different. Last year, big playmaker, big plays. This year his control of the game is so much better, how he sees the field, how he handles situations, he's calm, he gets out there and gets the job done. Last year I'm gonna make a big play to win the game, this year lead the team

Q: Ryan big game

He's the leader of the DL for us. The DL as a whole played the best game of the season. Ryan was the beneficiary of that, the whole DL played at another level.

Q: Has Fitz set himself as #2

No. They are pretty even. Staley & Fitz are pretty even. ES throwing up since 1AM, Dak 4AM. Told Damian he has to get ready, we are down two. Fitz did a good job in that game.

Q: Injuries

Came out healthy, beat up and bruised up. Hope to get Gus Walley back this week. Morrow & Myles will be a little longer, questionable this week. Gabe is a little bit ahead of Joe. Won't practice much this week. Rufus is ready.

Q: LT has QB with SEC experience

He's a great player, you have to limit him, he's going to make some throws, we have to go the next play.

Q: Elgton

He did some good things. Guys in their first start, they worry more about making a mistake than making a play. You have to build confidence, he's doing that.

Q: Dak this year

Numbers might not be as high, might not have made some runs he did last year, but he's made huge progress, he's seeing the 4th option, a guy wide open down the field, and getting the ball to him. That's where he's developed.

Q: 50 wins, bowl games, 7th year in, where do things stand

Coming here I wanted to build a solid football program. Tremendous support, administration, faculty, staff, students, alumni. My goal is to win a championship every single year. That is a struggle in our conference.

Q: Return game, what's been different, return TD's

Guys are more mature, trust the scheme, know where blocks will be set up, where to go in the scheme. Not trying to make a play ll by themselves. Understanding by players of when to block. Teams starting to kick away from our returners.

Q: How did Ross emerge as punt returner

He catches the ball the best. How much yardage you lost by not returning punts in the long term adds up, he could lose more yardage than he gains. Fred is consistent.

Q: Dontavian Lee, other RB's

We're still grading them. He had 17 plays, 5 carries, what did he do in those 12 plays? Are they making their blocks, do they know their assignments. One mistake and we can lose Dak.

Q: Kickers

We've tried to keep Westin Graves in position to build confidence and he's done that. He's doing that, when he makes a mistake he knows what he did and how to fix it.

Q: Damain a redshirt?

We'd like to, with Fitz & Staley we are pretty comfortable. He would have liked to have redshirted his first year, injures didn't allow that to happen. The second #15 walks out the door, I reset everything, slate wiped clean, someone has to emerge as not just a QB, but a leader of the team.

Jack Lambert
10-12-2015, 01:36 PM
LA Tech's Kickoff team has let some big runs this season. I think Southern U had one. Maybe we can break one off.

Bubb Rubb
10-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Regarding Fitz vs. Staley, it looks to me that Fitz is far and away the better QB at this point. But, just like the RB debate, Mullen has access to a lot more information than we do. I know this: whomever gets the job next year, we are in better shape at the QB position than we have been for as long as I can remember.

Jack Lambert
10-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Regarding Fitz vs. Staley, it looks to me that Fitz is far and away the better QB at this point. But, just like the RB debate, Mullen has access to a lot more information than we do. I know this: whomever gets the job next year, we are in better shape at the QB position than we have been for as long as I can remember.

The problem is one of them will not be the starter and there is Williams still there.

justwin
10-12-2015, 01:46 PM
do the 12 plays > the production from the 5 carries?

Let's put it all to rest give Lee 20 carries vs La Tech and let it be settled on the field.

What spectacular thing did Shump do on the plays where he didn't get carries? What spectacular things did Shump do when he did get carries?

msstate7
10-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Let's put it all to rest give Lee 20 carries vs La Tech and let it be settled on the field.

What spectacular thing did Shump do on the plays where he didn't get carries? What spectacular things did Shump do when he did get carries?

It's not like Mullen is sitting LF or Chubb in favor of Shump. Personally I don't think any of our rb's have shown much of anything. The best attribute of any of our rb's is shump's blocking ability. Bc of this, I don't have a problem with going pass heavy and letting Dak follow Shump's lead block some on zone reads.

I do wanna see more of Lee and Williams this week though to see if I misjudged them. Personally I hope Gibson is the real deal bc none of our rb's are that great to me

Bubb Rubb
10-12-2015, 02:01 PM
The problem is one of them will not be the starter and there is Williams still there.

I'm not following....unless we get extremely unlucky on the injury front, Williams won't play QB for us again. If Mullen was intent on giving him reps ahead of the two freshmen, he would be playing now.

sleepy dawg
10-12-2015, 02:06 PM

We're still grading them. He had 17 plays, 5 carries, what did he do in those 12 plays? Are they making their blocks, do they know their assignments. One mistake and we can lose Dak.

The bolded text probably sums up why mullen is doing what he's doing.

drummerdawg
10-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Personally I don't think any of our rb's have shown much of anything. The best attribute of any of our rb's is shump's blocking ability. Bc of this, I don't have a problem with going pass heavy and letting Dak follow Shump's lead block some on zone reads.

What are you talking about? Dear has ran the ball 5 times all year and averages 13.6 per carry with a TD. Longest run was 52 yards. Lee has only had 13 carries and averages 8.2 per carry. Logest run was 24 yards. Compared to Shump who has had 42 freakin carries and averages only 3.8 per carry, only 1 TD and his longest run was 20 yards. Dear has two less receptions than Shump and still averages more yards per catch. I think these guys have shown a pretty good bit in the limited reps they get. Not to mention they don't fall down on first contact.

sandwolf
10-12-2015, 02:33 PM
What are you talking about? Dear has ran the ball 5 times all year and averages 13.6 per carry with a TD. Longest run was 52 yards. Lee has only had 13 carries and averages 8.2 per carry. Logest run was 24 yards. Compared to Shump who has had 42 freakin carries and averages only 3.8 per carry, only 1 TD and his longest run was 20 yards. Dear has two less receptions than Shump and still averages more yards per catch. I think these guys have shown a pretty good bit in the limited reps they get. Not to mention they don't fall down on first contact.

Dear isn't a running back. He probably should be, but he isn't one this year. Hopefully he will move to RB this off season.

msstate7
10-12-2015, 02:37 PM

Maybe it's bc I've watched a ton of lsu games. Guice as a freshman is so much better than ours it isn't even funny.

drummerdawg
10-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Dear isn't a running back. He probably should be, but he isn't one.

You could even put Williams in there. He averages more yards per carry and has the same amout of TD's as Shump but has 27 less attempts.

msstate7
10-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Dear isn't a running back. He probably should be, but he isn't one this year. Hopefully he will move to RB this off season.

I would love to see dear move to rb. He's the only that seems to be explosive

Dawg61
10-12-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm not following....unless we get extremely unlucky on the injury front, Williams won't play QB for us again. If Mullen was intent on giving him reps ahead of the two freshmen, he would be playing now.

You're wrong. Damian Williams will most certainly play QB again for MSU. He's older and looked at by Mullen as more of the leader type than Nickjah Fitzley. See how he says this "The second #15 walks out the door, I reset everything, slate wiped clean, someone has to emerge as not just a QB, but a leader of the team." Mullen can not say it any clearer yet yall still think Fitz is ahead of Williams. He's not.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2015, 02:45 PM
You're wrong. Damian Williams will most certainly play QB again for MSU. He's older and looked at by Mullen as more of the leader type than Nickjah Fitzley. See how he says this "The second #15 walks out the door, I reset everything, slate wiped clean, someone has to emerge as not just a QB, but a leader of the team." Mullen can not say it any clearer yet yall still think Fitz is ahead of Williams. He's not.

I'll be more than surprised if Damian is at MSU next year.

Dawg61
10-12-2015, 02:52 PM
I would love to see dear move to rb. He's the only that seems to be explosive

I want to see dual RB sets. Shump with Williams. Is the one I really wanna see. Those two backs might not be making big plays yet but they both are physical freaks and I want to see what the double Predator formation looks like. Aeris Williams is absolutely yoked. Plus I want to see what Shump looks like as a FB. Sucks that Myles got hurt. I think he should get some looks at RB too.

FISHDAWG
10-12-2015, 02:55 PM
when had Graves made a mistake ? I thought he was perfect on the year ... although I am wrong a lot

msstate7
10-12-2015, 02:56 PM
I want to see dual RB sets. Shump with Williams. Is the one I really wanna see. Those two backs might not be making big plays yet but they both are physical freaks and I want to see what the double Predator formation looks like. Aeris Williams is absolutely yoked. Plus I want to see what Shump looks like as a FB. Sucks that Myles got hurt. I think he should get some looks at RB too.

I would love to see Shump as FB, te, or hybrid of the 2 next season. No reason to waste his senior year at tailback

Bubb Rubb
10-12-2015, 02:57 PM

You mostly have good takes but this is not one of them. Williams is done here unless, like I said, one of the freshmen get injured. It's just a fact. The "reset" comment is more for Staley's benefit going into next season.

Dawg61
10-12-2015, 02:59 PM

I think that's a mistake if so. Being next to Dak everyday for two years has got to have rubbed off on Williams atleast some. He deserves a fair look. Staley doesn't have it above the shoulder pads yet. I'm not convinced we should be worrying about Williams leaving more than Staley deciding to play basketball.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2015, 03:02 PM
I think that's a mistake if so. Being next to Dak everyday for two years has got to have rubbed off on Williams atleast some. He deserves a fair look. Staley doesn't have it above the shoulder pads yet. I'm not convinced we should be worrying about Williams leaving more than Staley deciding to play basketball.

I'll be surprised if Elijah ever plays bball.

defiantdog
10-12-2015, 03:10 PM

I'm with you on that..... I think Staley will be very competitive for the qb position in the next few years.

Dawg61
10-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Staley is a headcase. Yall are drunk with his athleticism it's blinding you.

Jarius
10-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Williams is nowhere near the quarterback Fitz is. It isn't even remotely close. If he starts over Fitzgerald next year, our coach has lost his mind. Williams is not an SEC qb.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Staley is a headcase. Yall are drunk with his athleticism it's blinding you.

We'll see. What are all the headcase incidents Staley has done?

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2015, 03:47 PM

In other words, "I'm a chickenshit who's scared of risk. Blocking > actually running the damn football." Prepare for Concrete Shoes to continue being on the field and getting the majority of the RB carries the rest of the way. #FreeDLee

defiantdog
10-12-2015, 03:49 PM
In other words, "I'm a chickenshit who's scared of risk. Blocking > actually running the damn football." Prepare for Concrete Shoes to continue being on the field and getting the majority of the RB carries the rest of the way. #FreeDLee

Then why put in Holloway? You really think Holloway is going to protect Dak?

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Then why put in Holloway? You really think Holloway is going to protect Dak?

Doesn't matter what I think, because apparently Mullen does. And Holloway isn't playing that much.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Which is dumb as shit, Bc he's fine with Holloway being a fly on Myles Garrett's windshield back there "protecting" Dak. At least Lee has the size to actually make a block to save Dak...Hollowsy does not. I'm tired of the bullshit excuses as to why Lee, Williams, Gray aren't playing.

We're 6 games in...if a guy like Gray and Lee can potential make plays to win you games, you AT LEAST have to put a package in for them through 6 damn games. Tell them to learn 5 ****ing plays like the back of their hand and then RUN THE DAMN PLAYS. It isn't brain surgery.

If we have guys that have been on campus two years, and they can't learn how to play RB for us....something's wrong with what we're asking them to learn.

It's garbage excuses, and I'm sick of it. Fire away, But it's ****ing trash if 2 second year players can't learn the RB scheme enough to play. I swear, Fournette would ride the damn pine for 2 years under Mullen's hardheaded ass. They aren't ready? Well TEACH them then, damn it.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2015, 04:17 PM
He was in on 35% of the plays so it's not like he wasn't playing but what do I know.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:20 PM
He was in on 35% of the plays so it's not like he wasn't playing but what do I know.

Who?

msstate7
10-12-2015, 04:20 PM
I swear, Fournette would ride the damn pine for 2 years under Mullen's hardheaded ass.

You serious? First of all, our rb's aren't in the same galaxy as LF. Hell, they aren't on the same planet as guice. Mullen is playing dear, peters, and mclaurin as true freshmen. I seriously think we're overvaluing Lee and Williams. I think they could be good, but I'll be disappointed if Gibson doesn't take carries from them next season

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Who?

Dontavian. He played 17 plays the offense only ran 48.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:23 PM
You serious? First of all, our rb's aren't in the same galaxy as LF. Hell, they aren't on the same planet as guice. Mullen is playing dear, peters, and mclaurin as true freshmen. I seriously think we're overvaluing Lee and Williams. I think they could be good, but I'll be disappointed if Gibson doesn't take carries from them next season

Where did I say our RB's were like LF, or even good?

I'm saying our backups are better than Shumpert and the action figure sized Holloway. And we won't play them. Nobody is comparing our guys to LF. I'm sarcastically saying Mullen would sit LF because "he didn't know the playbook and blocking schemes, yada yada" or some bullshit.

Hell no we don't have a LF, and nobody came close to saying that

MadDawg
10-12-2015, 04:23 PM
It's garbage excuses, and I'm sick of it. Fire away, But it's ****ing trash if 2 second year players can't learn the RB scheme enough to play. I swear, Fournette would ride the damn pine for 2 years under Mullen's hardheaded ass. They aren't ready? Well TEACH them then, damn it.

Yes. We have three Leonard Fournette clones riding the bench just so Dan can, well, so Dan can, um, yeah, because, yeah, um yeah.

Coach34
10-12-2015, 04:25 PM

Exactly- he doesnt trust Williams or Lee yet- and that pisses me off. Hell, its his damn job to get them ready

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Dontavian. He played 17 plays the offense only ran 48.

Well he didn't get the ball. Gray probably played several snaps too, but instead of giving him touches and designing ways to get the ball in a playmaker's hand...it took Firz throwing into coverage for him to even get thrown to. That's my whole thing...we hardly play some of our playmaker's, and when we finally do, we don't get them the ball.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Exactly- he doesnt trust Williams or Lee yet- and that pisses me off. Hell, its his damn job to get them ready

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Coach34
10-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Well he didn't get the ball. Gray probably played several snaps too, but instead of giving him touches and designing ways to get the ball in a playmaker's hand...it took Firz throwing into coverage for him to even get thrown to. That's my whole thing...we hardly play some of our playmaker's, and when we finally do, we don't get them the ball.

Lane Kiffin designed ways to get Amari Cooper over 100 catches- that doesnt even count the incompletions from passes thrown his way. Thats what offense is today- getting the ball to your biggest playmakers.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:30 PM

So you're saying Gibson may be better than Lee, who appears better than Williams, who appears better than Holloway, who appears better than Shumpert.....YET we're starting Shumpert? Gibson is currently on our team and could be playing. If Dan is supposed to be putting us in the best position to win...why is likely our 5th best RB starting?

And I agree that I think Gibson will be good.

fader2103
10-12-2015, 04:31 PM
I do like where we are with our QB situation. We have never been in this situation before and Im plum tickled. Not that I am in the Staley or Fitz group. I don't care I will support whatever QB we decide to go with. I think both have a tremendous skill set. One observation is that Staley has an amazing spiral and nice touch on the ball. Someone said it earlier that Fitz has nice touch and is not afraid to go deep. So who cares who our QB aslong as they are leaders and winners.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Lane Kiffin designed ways to get Amari Cooper over 100 catches- that doesnt even count the incompletions from passes thrown his way. Thats what offense is today- getting the ball to your biggest playmakers.

Exactly. And I bet Amari didn't have the entire playbook memorized either. When you're averaging 17 points in your biggest games....to hell with what you'd "like to do", you go with whatever puts points on the board. If that means finding ways to get Lee and Gray in the game...you're the coach and OC....DO IT!

Coach34
10-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I do like where we are with our QB situation. We have never been in this situation before and Im plum tickled. Not that I am in the Staley or Fitz group. I don't care I will support whatever QB we decide to go with. I think both have a tremendous skill set. One observation is that Staley has an amazing spiral and nice touch on the ball. Someone said it earlier that Fitz has nice touch and is not afraid to go deep. So who cares who our QB aslong as they are leaders and winners.

I agree- I love the way both of them look. We'll be fine no matter who plays

msstate7
10-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Exactly. And I bet Amari didn't have the entire playbook memorized either. When you're averaging 17 points in your biggest games....to hell with what you'd "like to do", you go with whatever puts points on the board. If that means finding ways to get Lee and Gray in the game...you're the coach and OC....DO IT!

Well in dan's defense... In our last big game, Dak ran it for over 100, Ross caught 11 passes, dear had a long td and 2 catches, bear had a big catch and fumbled, and Williams got carries, but fumbled. I thought we did a good job of getting our playmakers the ball.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2015, 04:39 PM

So he's playing enough but not getting enough touches?

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 04:45 PM
So he's playing enough but not getting enough touches?

Neither. Shumpert should not be playing RB, and I would prefer seeing our best RB's on the field before we get in our 14 point deficit.

What the hell good is recruiting a Juco guy like Donald Gray if you aren't going to get him the ball against anyone but Northwestern State and Troy? Again, we're scoring 17 points a game in big games......I don't have a magic formula, but a good starting point would be to A) get your playmakers on the field, and B) design plays to get it in their hands where they might make one. If we were scoring points, I wouldn't have as much problem with it...but we aren't. So quit doing the same shit and expecting different results.

Every time we give the ball to Shumpert, we might as well take a damn knee, Bc we're wasting plays and not even trying to maximize our offense.

And I like Shump...it's not his fault that he keeps getting run out there when he's incapable of making big plays.

Todd4State
10-12-2015, 04:47 PM
As far as the running backs go- I think Troy was basically a try out game for all of them. They all got roughly the same amount of playing time and carries- Williams had the fewest carries, but he was targeted once as a receiver which brings him up to four chances when everyone else got 5-6 carries.

But I think Lee is the best we have clearly. If he's not going to class, someone needs to be assigned to him to make his ass go.

HSVDawg
10-12-2015, 06:27 PM

Then we need to design a way to get Wilson and Ross 50 catches apiece for the rest of the way, because none of the biggest playmakers on our team are running backs.

Goldendawg
10-12-2015, 07:51 PM
I agree with most of what is being discussed here. I was at the Troy game with my seven family members as some of us have been since the early '70's. Are my 14 year old son and I wrong or did we give the ball to Holloway three times in a row up the middle on a 3 plays and out in the second half? This was three carries that really should have gone to Lee or Williams in a blow out against a team like Troy. Time of possession has really bothered me this year in about every game we have played. My son says TOP does not matter as much in a spread offense. His Dad who has been watching State since a 10 year old in 1964 thinks our defense struggles to get off the field, has free long drives with multiple plays, and I really want a running game. We have never been without a running game in my MSU life except maybe when Tommy Pharr was throwing 150 plus passes to Smith and Milner. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win, but I still think we have to be able to run and stop the run against the rest or our schedule, especially Arkansas, Mississippi, and Bama. Your thoughts appreciated. My son and I don't post much but read you guys daily. Go State.

Barking 13
10-12-2015, 08:06 PM
I agree with most of what is being discussed here. I was at the Troy game with my seven family members as some of us have been since the early '70's. Are my 14 year old son and I wrong or did we give the ball to Holloway three times in a row up the middle on a 3 plays and out in the second half? This was three carries that really should have gone to Lee or Williams in a blow out against a team like Troy. Time of possession has really bothered me this year in about every game we have played. My son says TOP does not matter as much in a spread offense. His Dad who has been watching State since a 10 year old in 1964 thinks our defense struggles to get off the field, has free long drives with multiple plays, and I really want a running game. We have never been without a running game in my MSU life except maybe when Tommy Pharr was throwing 150 plus passes to Smith and Milner. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win, but I still think we have to be able to run and stop the run against the rest or our schedule, especially Arkansas, Mississippi, and Bama. Your thoughts appreciated. My son and I don't post much but read you guys daily. Go State.

You sir, are correct... what everybody seems to overlook is that it's not really our running backs, it all boils down to the OL.. maybe there is a reason Dak is not running, and it ain't just to get him ready for the pros. If everybody would just get their $h!t together, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

Dawg61
10-12-2015, 09:12 PM

We are really struggling at the RB position. It's time for Knox to go.

maroonmania
10-12-2015, 10:15 PM

I would assume you think he will transfer down to FCS then? Otherwise, its pretty stupid to sit out the year this year when transferring to another FBS school would force him to sit out a year anyway.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-12-2015, 10:17 PM
I would assume you think he will transfer down to FCS then? Otherwise, its pretty stupid to sit out the year this year when transferring to another FBS school would force him to sit out a year anyway.

I do. Whether in January or after the spring I'll be surprised if he's at MSU next year.

DancingRabbit
10-12-2015, 10:22 PM

If he graduates he doesn't have to sit out, does he?

maroonmania
10-12-2015, 10:25 PM

To me TOP is the most useless stat in football UNLESS you have a lead in the 4th quarter and are actually trying to milk the clock to shorten a game, then it does mean something. Otherwise, its ALL about the number of plays your offense is on the field as opposed to the other team. Seconds off the clock doesn't wear out the opposing defense, its the number of snaps they play that wears them out.

maroonmania
10-12-2015, 10:27 PM
If he graduates he doesn't have to sit out, does he?

Possibly true, but he would have to to hang around for ANOTHER year to graduate I would assume unless he's graduating in 3 years.

Todd4State
10-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Possibly true, but he would have to to hang around for ANOTHER year to graduate I would assume unless he's graduating in 3 years.

That might be a better route for him. Stay at MSU and try to win the job. If he doesn't- get his degree and go to another D-I school for a year and start. That might be part of the reason he is redshirting this year.

sleepy dawg
10-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Which is dumb as shit, Bc he's fine with Holloway being a fly on Myles Garrett's windshield back there "protecting" Dak. At least Lee has the size to actually make a block to save Dak...Hollowsy does not. I'm tired of the bullshit excuses as to why Lee, Williams, Gray aren't playing.

We're 6 games in...if a guy like Gray and Lee can potential make plays to win you games, you AT LEAST have to put a package in for them through 6 damn games. Tell them to learn 5 ****ing plays like the back of their hand and then RUN THE DAMN PLAYS. It isn't brain surgery.

If we have guys that have been on campus two years, and they can't learn how to play RB for us....something's wrong with what we're asking them to learn.

For the record, I wasn't agreeing with that decision, just reading between the lines.