PDA

View Full Version : Is Steve Sarkisian an idiot?

Jack Lambert
10-12-2015, 09:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/losangeles/college-football/story/_/id/13864229/usc-trojans-head-coach-steve-sarkisian-take-leave-absence

Never take work home and never bring home to work.

jumbo
10-12-2015, 09:11 AM
don't think he's an idiot. he's an alcoholic and I hope he gets the help he needs.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 09:21 AM
He is close to losing one of the best jobs in the NCAA for non-football reasons. I'd say that would be pretty darn close to the idiot threshold.

RC3
10-12-2015, 09:23 AM
don't think he's an idiot. he's an alcoholic and I hope he gets the help he needs.

This. Guy has a problem and is addressing it. Shouldn't be labeled an idiot

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 09:26 AM
He has a disease. I feel for him, because if he ever gets it controlled, he will forever regret the way it's ruining his career and life right now. I hope he gets help and makes a big comeback one day, and then shares his story with others that are alcoholics. Sad stuff

shoeless joe
10-12-2015, 09:38 AM
It is a disease. I've seen it first hand and up close.

But at the same time each individual is still making a decision at some point or another and I feel like folks are getting a pass just because he's admitting it. Yes, get help...yes, improve your life...but yes you are still acoountable and responsible for your actions and decisions.

CottonDog
10-12-2015, 09:43 AM
He's not as big an idiot as Haden. Should have fired Sark in the summer. Can't have a drunk running a program as prominent as SC. Any program for that matter but especially one like SC. If I were the president of the school I'd help sark get treatment but he'd be canned right with Haden.

RC3
10-12-2015, 09:44 AM
It is a disease. I've seen it first hand and up close.

But at the same time each individual is still making a decision at some point or another and I feel like folks are getting a pass just because he's admitting it. Yes, get help...yes, improve your life...but yes you are still acoountable and responsible for your actions and decisions.

he is being held accountable and i doubt he gets a pass. he will have to deal with the consequences of his bad decisions. doesn't mean he should be labeled an 'idiot' though.

shoeless joe
10-12-2015, 10:06 AM
he is being held accountable and i doubt he gets a pass. he will have to deal with the consequences of his bad decisions. doesn't mean he should be labeled an 'idiot' though.

Agree.

My post was based more on what I see society wise, not on this board.

LC Dawg
10-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Stories like this prove how powerful alcoholism and addiction are. I've seen it first hand and you wonder why someone doesn't just quit destroying their lives but it isn't that easy. This guy has one of the best coaching jobs in America and he has let alcohol control his life and maybe ruin his career. It's really sad and I hope he truly wants to get some help.

mstatefan91
10-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Sarkisian is an addict. He is responsible for his actions, but he is not an idiot. He is someone who needs and is now getting help.

HSVDawg
10-12-2015, 11:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/losangeles/college-football/story/_/id/13864229/usc-trojans-head-coach-steve-sarkisian-take-leave-absence

Never take work home and never bring home to work.

I don't think he's an idiot but I'm also not sure that he should be allowed to keep his job. I know if I showed up to work drunk my ass would be fired on the spot, and I don't have direct responsibilty for 100 or so college kids' well being for 6 days a week either. Disease or not, being an alcoholic doesn't give you a free pass with no consequences to your work or personal life.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I would probably never be able to work in my field again if I showed up drunk, addict or not.

RC3
10-12-2015, 11:46 AM
I would probably never be able to work in my field again if I showed up drunk, addict or not.

and he may very well end up in the same spot as you. He will have a long way to go before any major school would think about taking the risk on him.

State82
10-12-2015, 12:28 PM
He has a disease. I feel for him, because if he ever gets it controlled, he will forever regret the way it's ruining his career and life right now. I hope he gets help and makes a big comeback one day, and then shares his story with others that are alcoholics. Sad stuff

Absolutely. Lost a close friend to it a few months ago. It's ugly. Very ugly.

HSVDawg
10-12-2015, 12:36 PM
and he may very well end up in the same spot as you. He will have a long way to go before any major school would think about taking the risk on him.

He already has his current employer taking that risk on him, so it doesn't matter whether other schools would be willing to take the same risk. This after at least 3 publicly known acts of major indiscretion related to his drinking problem and who knows how many other occurrences that aren't being made public. If I was in any way tied to USC as a player, assistant coach, alumnus, or fan, I would be embarrassed that he still has a job. Haden is a complete laughing stock with the way he is handling this situation.