PDA

View Full Version : Expectation change?

Coach 57
10-11-2015, 10:36 PM
Have my expectations for this season changed? I did pick us to be 10-2 at the end of the year (I think), and we aren't out of that element yet. But honestly I think we are okay. Some things that seem like banes or albatrosses are actually not.

1.) Are we better with more experience ad less talented group or are we better with the more talented yet less experienced group?

I remember when Tyler was our QB and we couldn't wait to finally see Dak get his first start. I remember when LdP was our RB and people couldn't wait to see Nick Griffin or JRob tote that thing. Talent eventually won out on all of those situations and I honestly believe it will again. Green looks great at MLB but his reaction is slow, but it'll get better with more GAME experience. I saw try to split the OG and OT to make a tackle in the back field Saturday and had he read that thing a split second quicker he would've had a huge play. Instead it turned into a decent gain for the RB. I also saw him reading their QB's eyes on a stop route in zone coverage but didn't react quick enough. More reps and that'll be either a batted ball or even a pick. I saw Peters and Mac make bad angles and reads in the game too. But I stress this again.....YOU CAN NOT SIMULATE GAME SPEED OR INTENSITY IN PRACTICE! These are things they need to learn IN GAME. They will get beat in spots but that's how young players learn. This isn't a rebuilding year but it IS time to give these boys some reps. We will be better because of it when it's all said and done.

2.) What's the ceiling for this team THIS year?

I believe this team is going to be eerily similar to the 2013 team that got hot late. And honestly it bodes will for our future if that's the case. I thought about something the other day, since Mullen has been here if we lose the EB have we won our bowl game afterwards? I don't think we have and it DOES matter. This team will beat Bama (unless Dak gets hurt) and beat UM late. I don't bet, but if I did I would. We are better than a lot of you guys give us credit for, and stop with the CDM bashing! It's absolutely absurd, does that mean he is above scrutiny? No, but at the same time he knows what he's doing. We'll be fine.......WATCH!

In closing I hate the stickers "In Dan we Trust". But I do believe he is STILL the guy for the job and is the best coach we've ever had. As far as my trust is concerned, I have no faith in man.....ANY man (including me) as man is a sinful sack of fallen-ness and evil. I put my trust in Christ Jesus and His eminent return.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
10-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Slow clap. This times 10. Spot on, and I like that last paragraph also.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 10:53 PM
#57ForHeisman

msstate7
10-11-2015, 10:59 PM
If we're gonna make a run, I think it will be on our defense's back. I really think we're close to being a top notch defense. We just have to start games better on that side of the ball.

ScottH
10-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Regarding the game of football, I have come to trust you implicitly.

Thank you for your input.

BulldogBear
10-11-2015, 11:23 PM
#57ForHeisman
Yeah. "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Coach57 again"

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Great post, but I disagree with the comment about talent winning out with Tyler and Perkins. They both were injured in the Arkansas game and that resulted in Dan being forced to play Josh and Damian Williams until Dak made his miraculous return off the bench to lead us to victory.

BrunswickDawg
10-12-2015, 07:28 AM
When Coach57 speaks, we all should listen.

Really Clark?
10-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Great post, but I disagree with the comment about talent winning out with Tyler and Perkins. They both were injured in the Arkansas game and that resulted in Dan being forced to play Josh and Damian Williams until Dak made his miraculous return off the bench to lead us to victory.

What are you talking about? He was referring to transitioning to Dak after Tyler got hurt and by mid season we were playing Dak mostly until he was hurt at A & M. Tyler was hurt against Bama (played a good game) and still played nearly the entire Arkansas game until he was finally put out for the rest of the year. But Dak had already taken over as the QB 1 long before this game. Tyler and Perk both were trying to gut out that Arkansas game, both were hurt before that game even started.

basedog
10-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Nice post 57, actually you are pretty much the only one in regarding the x and o's in football that I pay attention to.

Actually when you posted a few weeks ago about our (mostly) LT play and it needed to be addressed going forward, I was in agreement. But I also realized Warren had little experience playing LT in live games. He has or did start to show some improvement, and now watching Jenkins the upside is huge for the coming years. I watched our line play mostly against Troy and what I noticed more than anyone thing was they aren't playing as a unit, meaning all 5 aren't all in sinc with every play. Usually there is one OL that either misses his block or he isn't staying with it long enough. What I see is how slow footed Malone and Despar are, they also don't have good pad level, when they get on there man the initial hit is ok but they stand up and don't drive there feet. Senor is getting better, but as a whole unit they aren't nasty enough and they don't have a bell cow leader yet. Anyway 57, I love your insight, others, not so much as most folks just watch the ball and when things go bad they have no clue why.

I to agree folks need to get off Mullen and thinking he has done as much as he can.

thf24
10-12-2015, 08:42 AM
Great post as always, 57. Question for you, what do you think happened with Malone? We all thought he was NFL-bound the past two seasons, now he barely looks like an SEC player. Is it maybe a case of having different/less experienced players around him?

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Great post 57.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Nice post 57, actually you are pretty much the only one in regarding the x and o's in football that I pay attention to.

Actually when you posted a few weeks ago about our (mostly) LT play and it needed to be addressed going forward, I was in agreement. But I also realized Warren had little experience playing LT in live games. He has or did start to show some improvement, and now watching Jenkins the upside is huge for the coming years. I watched our line play mostly against Troy and what I noticed more than anyone thing was they aren't playing as a unit, meaning all 5 aren't all in sinc with every play. Usually there is one OL that either misses his block or he isn't staying with it long enough. What I see is how slow footed Malone and Despar are, they also don't have good pad level, when they get on there man the initial hit is ok but they stand up and don't drive there feet. Senor is getting better, but as a whole unit they aren't nasty enough and they don't have a bell cow leader yet. Anyway 57, I love your insight, others, not so much as most folks just watch the ball and when things go bad they have no clue why.

I to agree folks need to get off Mullen and thinking he has done as much as he can.

You are spot on about the line. I think there are some talented guys there but it's not functioning as a unit consistently yet. If it ever does then I think our running game problems get a lot better. We aren't that far away.

gtowndawg
10-12-2015, 08:52 AM
great post Coach57.

Coach 57
10-12-2015, 09:03 AM
"Really Clark?" Thank you for clarification on that. That is EXACTLY what I was saying.

As far as Malone goes (and even Senior too for that matter) "Basedog" is right on point with his assessment. Guys when you watch a game (or replay of it) try not to always focus on the ball. Look at the linemen. Even on defense look at the line. You can tell a lot about them based on what you see. "Baseddog" is absolutely right, when lines form and are successful it's not because one guy is awesome and the others are mud. They must play cohesively and play to help the other guy get his. That's why play on the line is a TEAM effort. For every ROBERT Nkemdiche there's an Issac Gross who helps alleviate that pressure off of him. For every Gabe Jackson there's a Dillon Day who they must work together against a 1 tech DT. These guys are talented they just haven't meshed yet. When we play teams like UM they are going to do what LSU did and line up in crazy gaps to confuse the OL. Honestly I think they are getting better. I think Jenkins needs to stay at LT because he is our future and the learning curve for him as much as it is for Rufus and if it's the same then invest in the future player.

I appreciate the kind words gents. Thank you, I'm just a Bible thumping/Jesus freak who God graced with knowledge of the game as well as allowed me to humbly coach for a little while. Just take it easy on ole Dan, he'll get em right.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 09:04 AM
As for an expectation change you have to start where you started. I went WAY out on a limb and predicted anywhere from 5-7 to 10-2, lol. I really had no idea what to expect mainly because we were replacing the heart of the offensive line. After USM I revised that to 4-8 to 9-3. After Auburn I revised to 6-6 to 9-3. That's still where I am. I never said this but at the beginning of the year I really thought 7-8 wins was where we would wind up. I wavered a bit after USM but it still looks like to me that's probably where we finish. Missouri and Arkansas are the interesting ones. I wish they were at home. If they were I think we would be a lock for 8. With UM and Bama being at home I think we have a shot at winning one of those, but probably not both.

basedog
10-12-2015, 09:22 AM
"Really Clark?" Thank you for clarification on that. That is EXACTLY what I was saying.

As far as Malone goes (and even Senior too for that matter) "Basedog" is right on point with his assessment. Guys when you watch a game (or replay of it) try not to always focus on the ball. Look at the linemen. Even on defense look at the line. You can tell a lot about them based on what you see. "Baseddog" is absolutely right, when lines form and are successful it's not because one guy is awesome and the others are mud. They must play cohesively and play to help the other guy get his. That's why play on the line is a TEAM effort. For every ROBERT Nkemdiche there's an Issac Gross who helps alleviate that pressure off of him. For every Gabe Jackson there's a Dillon Day who they must work together against a 1 tech DT. These guys are talented they just haven't meshed yet. When we play teams like UM they are going to do what LSU did and line up in crazy gaps to confuse the OL. Honestly I think they are getting better. I think Jenkins needs to stay at LT because he is our future and the learning curve for him as much as it is for Rufus and if it's the same then invest in the future player.

I appreciate the kind words gents. Thank you, I'm just a Bible thumping/Jesus freak who God graced with knowledge of the game as well as allowed me to humbly coach for a little while. Just take it easy on ole Dan, he'll get em right.

Btw 57, another big problem with our guard play, they are not very good with trap blocking. They seem to be a step slow, they are not even close to what a Gabe Jackson and Ben Beckwith were, that is one of the reason's we haven't run the ball very well.

57 has so much knowledge on the line play, folks who study film have a train eye that the average fan doesn't understand.

P.S. Folks asking about Malone, I really don't know why he isn't dominating like we or most thought, he is strong but I think he is a little to heavy, seems to have lost a step, but what I saw Saturday is he doesn't keep his pad level down, nor does Despar.

Dawgface
10-12-2015, 09:29 AM
I predicted 8 wins at the start of season. Still possible but going to have to play better to get there.

maroonmania
10-12-2015, 09:40 AM

I trust Mullen much more with the QB position than the RB position. I do think Dan could see that Dak was the long term answer. With the RB position it still amazes me that with a guy with the talent that Josh Robinson had we only got one year's production out of him even though he was here for 4 years I guess because he didn't have the right "attitude". That's why I have no faith that we will give the more talented younger RBs any meaningful playing time this year as long as Shump is "working hard" in practice. Apparently practice results are more important than game results at that position.

maroonmania
10-12-2015, 09:44 AM

Well some of that on the OL sounds like technique issues. That's on Hev if that hasn't been addressed with guys who have been in the program for 3+ years.

BB30
10-12-2015, 09:48 AM
You can teach technique all day. But, to get a young kid to break a bad habit in a game takes a lot of time and live reps. When you are uncomfortable/under pressure you are going to go back to what you naturally did before. You see this a lot with young pitchers it takes a while for mechanics and technique to shift to games.

maroonmania
10-12-2015, 09:52 AM
As for an expectation change you have to start where you started. I went WAY out on a limb and predicted anywhere from 5-7 to 10-2, lol. I really had no idea what to expect mainly because we were replacing the heart of the offensive line. After USM I revised that to 4-8 to 9-3. After Auburn I revised to 6-6 to 9-3. That's still where I am. I never said this but at the beginning of the year I really thought 7-8 wins was where we would wind up. I wavered a bit after USM but it still looks like to me that's probably where we finish. Missouri and Arkansas are the interesting ones. I wish they were at home. If they were I think we would be a lock for 8. With UM and Bama being at home I think we have a shot at winning one of those, but probably not both.

Well I predicted 8-4 and I think I will end up being pretty close. We SHOULD win the next 2 games although right now LT bothers me even more than KY but I still think we pull out those 2. After that, we BETTER beat Mizzou because that one is the easiest of the last 4. I personally don't see us winning more than 1 of the last 3 at the moment until I see some semblance of an ability to run the ball or AT LEAST be able to score more than 20 just passing the ball. That Arkansas road game has proven almost unwinnable for us in the past between AL and OM and I don't look for that to change. We've won there one time IN OT and that was against the worst Arkansas team I've ever seen coached by an idiot (John L Smith). Right now I see us winning the next 3 and 1 of the last 3 to get to 8-4 but I could agree that anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3 could happen.

bluelightstar
10-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Well I predicted 8-4 and I think I will end up being pretty close. We SHOULD win the next 2 games although right now LT bothers me even more than KY but I still think we pull out those 2. After that, we BETTER beat Mizzou because that one is the easiest of the last 4. I personally don't see us winning more than 1 of the last 3 at the moment until I see some semblance of an ability to run the ball or AT LEAST be able to score more than 20 just passing the ball. That Arkansas road game has proven almost unwinnable for us in the past between AL and OM and I don't look for that to change. We've won there one time IN OT and that was against the worst Arkansas team I've ever seen coached by an idiot (John L Smith). Right now I see us winning the next 3 and 1 of the last 3 to get to 8-4 but I could agree that anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3 could happen.

Just want to point out that though I agree Arkansas will be tough, their game against us follows back-to-back road trips to Oxford and Baton Rouge. Arkansas could very well be reeling -- especially since they could already be eliminated from bowl contention. And by the way, the Arkansas team we beat at Arkansas was coached by Bielema -- not John L.

maroonmania
10-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Just want to point out that though I agree Arkansas will be tough, their game against us follows back-to-back road trips to Oxford and Baton Rouge. Arkansas could very well be reeling -- especially since they could already be eliminated from bowl contention. And by the way, the Arkansas team we beat at Arkansas was coached by Bielema -- not John L.

Yes, I guess the John L. Smith team was the year before.

FISHDAWG
10-12-2015, 01:43 PM
good post coach as usual ... however, my expectations have changed. Our team has changed. There can't be any denying it ... we aren't what we were last year and I think most folks here believe that, but most of us thought the replacements were a little better than they have been ... I don't think anyone here expects to compete for the West or the #1 ranking that last years team had .... most of this clamoring has been for improvement and I don't see that happening before next season ... it's just natural to want change when things appear to be bogged down ...... and most of us aren't wanting to see Mullen leave, we just want to see an effort to change or improve something that could work a little better

Barking 13
10-12-2015, 06:04 PM
good post coach as usual ... however, my expectations have changed. Our team has changed. There can't be any denying it ... we aren't what we were last year and I think most folks here believe that, but most of us thought the replacements were a little better than they have been ... I don't think anyone here expects to compete for the West or the #1 ranking that last years team had .... most of this clamoring has been for improvement and I don't see that happening before next season ... it's just natural to want change when things appear to be bogged down ...... and most of us aren't wanting to see Mullen leave, we just want to see an effort to change or improve something that could work a little better

Agreed... that's why EVERYONE played last week. (and hopefully, from here on out) I don't know if anybody else has noticed, there is still 1A and 1B stuff going on, it just looks a little different. Anything that 57 posts is GOLD....
There was a reason for the closed practices.. probably the realization that the o-line was not going to be good right off. What good is a Heisman candidate QB without a line, or a RB with no line support... they will get better. It may take all season, and we may get whooped a few times, but time will tell.