PDA

View Full Version : There are 2 groups of people in our fanbase......

Taog Redloh
10-11-2015, 07:44 PM
One set thinks what we did last year (10-2, equivalent to the 9-2 year of 1999 since there were only 11 game seasons) is the best our program can do. They have evidence and history on their side. Other similar programs have not been able to push past this mark, even with elite coaching (think Arkansas in 2010/2011, South Carolina in 2011/12/14). And, 10-2 in the SEC is equivalent to 11-1 in other conferences. Some point to the influx of money, but fact is, our main competitors in the SEC get this same advantage.

The other set thinks we can do better, with pretty much zero evidence.

Decide which one of these sets of people you are, and depending on what you choose, maybe you can have a logical discussion about Mullen's future.

Quaoarsking
10-11-2015, 07:53 PM
We can do better than last year, even with our disadvantages. If we keep Mullen for the next 30 years, we will a few times.

Get rid of Mullen, and it's extremely unlikely that we will, unless we just get insanely lucky with a future hire. Mullen is the only coach who's proven he can get us into the national championship mix -- stop Blake Sims on 3rd and long last year (it was bad luck that we didn't), and we at least play for the National Title most likely.

I'm sure there are some other coaches out there who could, but the odds of one of those coming here (especially if we fired the greatest coach in school history) are very low. We'd have to hire a complete unknown and have him turn out to be amazing.

Not sure if that's what you were going for, but it's correct on both ends.

msstate7
10-11-2015, 07:56 PM
If last year's team would've had this year's schedule, we probably at worst tie for west. Unfortunately for us, our best team had to travel to a playoff team and new year's 6 team.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:56 PM
It's not the best we can do. But not to recognize just how good it was at a place like MSU is totally irrational. MSU has always turned on coaches when they don't win more than they did the year before. We haven't fired them that quick, but people abandon ship pretty dang quick. Given our history that is understandable. It's time to get out of old MSU crap that we have always done. That THIS season is stirring up that kind of garbage tells you more about how far Mullen has taken us than last year ever did.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:58 PM
We can do better than last year, even with our disadvantages. If we keep Mullen for the next 30 years, we will a few times.

Get rid of Mullen, and it's extremely unlikely that we will, unless we just get insanely lucky with a future hire. Mullen is the only coach who's proven he can get us into the national championship mix -- stop Blake Sims on 3rd and long last year (it was bad luck that we didn't), and we at least play for the National Title most likely.

I'm sure there are some other coaches out there who could, but the odds of one of those coming here (especially if we fired the greatest coach in school history) are very low. We'd have to hire a complete unknown and have him turn out to be amazing.

THIS is the best post on this subject I have seen. It's SPOT on.

Taog Redloh
10-11-2015, 08:00 PM

I get it, I know how close we were. I know how close we were in 1999. I know how close we were to signing Cam Newton in 2010. But luck/breaks/etc. average out over time, and over the long haul you see the thing for what it is.

I am most definitely in the first group, but Mullen is also making a cool 4 mil. I don't blame people who demand perfection, even if perfection is 10-2. If the damn staff is having problems, give up some of your own salary and get some quality assistants in there.

Maroonthirteen
10-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Hear, hear. Sure we could have won the Egg Bowl and Orange Bowl last year.... But I'm of the opinion Mullen coaches that team up and things just leveled out in the end. Anyway, regardless, anyone that complains about a winning season at MSU isn't logical.

Is there a more difficult position in all of college football than MSU? Mullen is doing a helluva job. But people may get their wish.....lots of openings every year. I hope that doesn't happen but.....

GreenheadDawg
10-11-2015, 08:11 PM

You honestly believe Mullen can take us to a national championship? You truly believe that? Listen I'm not saying fire him, actually the opposite, but I want him to grow up and little bit and figure out that he didn't invent football and sometimes you have to change and adapt. There is not a soul on this board or anywhere for that matter that can make me believe we can do better than last season. We have our best QB ever and best offensive weapons we have ever had but yet we can't figure out how to Score more than 17 in SEC because we stick with the same ole shit and refuse to get creative. We don't recruit at a high enough level and coaching is not championship caliber. Period

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 08:15 PM
You honestly believe Mullen can take us to a national championship? You truly believe that? Listen I'm not saying fire him, actually the opposite, but I want him to grow up and little bit and figure out that he didn't invent football and sometimes you have to change and adapt. There is not a soul on this board or anywhere for that matter that can make me believe we can do better than last season. We have our best QB ever and best offensive weapons we have ever had but yet we can't figure out how to Score more than 17 in SEC because we stick with the same ole shit and refuse to get creative. We don't recruit at a high enough level and coaching is not championship caliber. Period

I do. We were very close last year. The closest we have ever been and now you have 34 comparing the program to Stansbury's. That's just not even remotely rational.
Mullen HAS adapted this year. Why in the heck do you think we are trying to throw it so much? I don't think that was a choice they were happy in making. We do not have the best running backs or the best offensive line we have ever had.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:18 PM
I do. We were very close last year. The closest we have ever been and now you have 34 comparing the program to Stansbury's. That's just not even remotely rational.
Mullen HAS adapted this year. Why in the heck do you think we are trying to throw it so much? I don't think that was a choice they were happy in making. We do not have the best running backs or the best offensive line we have ever had.

Hold on now I started that shit. I want the credit.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 08:21 PM

^Megan Mullen^

Gotta be.

Taog Redloh
10-11-2015, 08:25 PM
King Jackie did the same thing. So did Emory Bellard and Bob Tyler. I'm talking 2-loss seasons here. That tells me that we have basically hired 4 decent coaches in the modern era of football. Mullen ain't special until he puts 2 or 3 2-loss seasons together or gets past that mark.

Quaoarsking
10-11-2015, 08:56 PM
You honestly believe Mullen can take us to a national championship?
Yes.

You truly believe that?
Yes. He may not ever accomplish it, since there's so much luck involved in actually getting one. But he proved last year he can get us to the point where we can be in the mix. The ball didn't bounce our way against Alabama last year, and that happens to all teams sometimes. Had we pulled it out (I think we would've won over 50% if we'd played at Alabama 100 times last year), we still would've had to beat Missouri and Florida State, but I think we most likely at least play for the title.

Listen I'm not saying fire him
If you honestly believe he can't win us a national title, you probably should be, unless that's just not something that's important to you.

There is not a soul on this board or anywhere for that matter that can make me believe we can do better than last season.
OK. But you don't have to change much fortune at all to make us win at Alabama last year, and that most likely makes us #2 at worst. And who knows, maybe we find a way to beat Cardale and Ohio State.

We don't recruit at a high enough level and coaching is not championship caliber. Period
Maybe not, but our recruiting is a lot better nowadays than it was in the 4 years leading up to 2014, when we were some fluky plays in Tuscaloosa away from being #2 in the country.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 08:56 PM
King Jackie did the same thing. So did Emory Bellard and Bob Tyler. I'm talking 2-loss seasons here. That tells me that we have basically hired 4 decent coaches in the modern era of football. Mullen ain't special until he puts 2 or 3 2-loss seasons together or gets past that mark.

Jackie was never really close to winning a Natty here. We got close to getting in the conversation one year, and that wasn't the year we won the west. We were IN the conversation last year till the Egg Bowl. Bellard and Tyler never were even close.

BoomBoom
10-11-2015, 09:00 PM
One set thinks what we did last year (10-2, equivalent to the 9-2 year of 1999 since there were only 11 game seasons) is the best our program can do. They have evidence and history on their side. Other similar programs have not been able to push past this mark, even with elite coaching (think Arkansas in 2010/2011, South Carolina in 2011/12/14). And, 10-2 in the SEC is equivalent to 11-1 in other conferences. Some point to the influx of money, but fact is, our main competitors in the SEC get this same advantage.

Decide which one of these sets of people you are, and depending on what you choose, maybe you can have a logical discussion about Mullen's future.

We beat a very down LSU and Auburn, and an overrated A&M. We lost to a good Bama and Ole miss team. A pretty piss poor 10-2 season.

I came into this season saying there was more parity in the SEC West than ever, and coaching would decide it. So far Mullen hasnt done well in that regard. He can turn it around, but I doubt it. So far he has shown he can run a great offense when he has a great QB and OL, or at least a good OL with a beast he can run behind on 3rd and short. If he cant prove he's more than that, then that means something, as much as some of you would prefer to ignore it.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 09:03 PM
How come even some of our own fans help perpetuate that UM line that if we beat a team they are crap? I have never understood that.

Taog Redloh
10-11-2015, 09:07 PM
We beat a very down LSU and Auburn, and an overrated A&M. We lost to a good Bama and Ole miss team. A pretty piss poor 10-2 season.
Good Lord son. Your second paragraph is reasonable but damn, you went retard on that first one.

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 09:09 PM
I don't know if Dan has reached the floor or ceiling yet. I know it's not a hard floor or ceiling because no coach has ever had that. It's always influx. But I do know these exact same words were used in 2013. Exact same terminology about how he has peaked out with this program.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 09:11 PM
Jackie was never really close to winning a Natty here. We got close to getting in the conversation one year, and that wasn't the year we won the west. We were IN the conversation last year till the Egg Bowl. Bellard and Tyler never were even close.

Jackie was one game away in 99- beat Bama and we win the West. We were a QB away that season
Bellard finished 2nd in the SEC in 1980- so he damn sure was

IMissJack
10-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Mullen has been great for our program and I don't want him going anywhere. I do believe for us to take the next level step, he and Hev are going to have to get more solid talent on the Offensive Line on a consistent basis. We get beat out too many times there. They are going to have to change their approach at that position and get better. Our QB situation is the best it has ever been in my lifetime, and probably the same at WR. I believe a couple of the young RBs are plenty good, and MSU has in the past demonstrated that MS can produce good SEC backs. In the past we usually have had a good DL and backers, even when the offense stunk (see Ellis Johnson's D); but I think we need to do something different at OL, including looking up north (as in players from outside MS).

Taog Redloh
10-11-2015, 09:34 PM
Mullen has been great for our program and I don't want him going anywhere. I do believe for us to take the next level step, he and Hev are going to have to get more solid talent on the Offensive Line on a consistent basis. We get beat out too many times there. They are going to have to change their approach at that position and get better. Our QB situation is the best it has ever been in my lifetime, and probably the same at WR. I believe a couple of the young RBs are plenty good, and MSU has in the past demonstrated that MS can produce good SEC backs. In the past we usually have had a good DL and backers, even when the offense stunk (see Ellis Johnson's D); but I think we need to do something different at OL, including looking up north (as in players from outside MS).
I agree.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-11-2015, 09:40 PM
I agree with this too. I think Mullen can have a similar career to Bill Snyder at Kansas State.

We will be relevant every year winning between 6-9 games and every now and then we have a true championship contender. Personally I am fine with that. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I suffered through all 5 years of Croom and know how bad it can be.

Jack Lambert
10-11-2015, 09:51 PM
4 and 2 with four of our last six games at home with every game winnable, I am as happy as I can be. We got it good. Hell I remember when we would be 2 and 4 by this time in the past with the same schedule.

I don't think we can win the West but we sure can get to 10-2 or 9-3 and get to one of the big New Years bowl. It would be great to get to the Sugar Bowl.

Johnson85
10-12-2015, 08:18 AM
A pretty piss poor 10-2 season.

Holy snikes. You've got me giving reputation points to Goat Holder.

msstate7
10-12-2015, 08:21 AM

Is the Johnson vs boom eternal debate gonna spill over to sports now? Haha

Johnson85
10-12-2015, 08:27 AM
I agree with this too. I think Mullen can have a similar career to Bill Snyder at Kansas State.

We will be relevant every year winning between 6-9 games and every now and then we have a true championship contender. Personally I am fine with that. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it.

It's crazy that this is even in contention. A school like Alabama, USC, Texas, UF, etc. can take their natural advantages and pair it with an outstanding coach and it will be inevitable that they will win a national championship. Outside of half a dozen, maybe a dozen schools, the stars have to align to win a championship. I'm not thrilled with Mullen this year, but it's mainly because he screwed the pooch in a season where the West is down overall. But the more I see us play, the less I think it mattered. This season was "lost" when we didn't get an LT or RB ready to contribute. There may be a coach that can come to MSU and consistently field a team without an Achilles heel that puts out a team that can legitimately compete for the conference more years than not. Good luck finding him.

As it is, Mullen is probably going to go 7-5 or 8-4 in a disappointing year. That's a pretty incredible statement. And it looks like the team is set to go around 7-5 next year before potentially having an up year again in 2017. I guess state fans are just going to have to learn to live with these 7 win type seasons until they can get to a season where they can legitimately compete for the West.

Johnson85
10-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Is the Johnson vs boom eternal debate gonna spill over to sports now? Haha

Ha, absolutely not. I think I agree with Boom on almost all of his sports comments. That's why that statement jumped out at me so much.

I'm pretty sure if we start responding to each others sports posts we'll both have to be banned to save everybody else.

basedog
10-12-2015, 08:31 AM

We will be relevant every year winning between 6-9 games and every now and then we have a true championship contender. Personally I am fine with that. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I suffered through all 5 years of Croom and know how bad it can be.

Yep, I too have suffered many years of misery and now I'm enjoying the good life with Mullen.

msstate7
10-12-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm pretty sure if we start responding to each others sports posts we'll both have to be banned to save everybody else.

Nah... You two make for some interesting reading on the political board

BB30
10-12-2015, 08:43 AM
I have a question for the people that think Dan is not a championship caliber coach.... If you got your wish and we got rid of Mullen or he left, who would you hire right now that you know would have more success? I hear a lot of people saying we can do better but who would be that hire? Look at some of the best jobs in the country and the struggles they are having hiring a winning coach.

TrapGame
10-12-2015, 08:45 AM

Spot on.

Dog316
10-12-2015, 08:59 AM

<><><><>><>~><>

I recently read that there are only 3 types of people in the world: those that can count, and those who can't. Some of the third group often post here!

BoomBoom
10-12-2015, 09:05 AM

I really dont see whats the deal with saying that 10-2 season was pretty poor for a 10-2 season. We beat the teams that were worse than us, and poor coaching let some of those almost steal a win. And we got obliterated in a couple games. We were overrated the same most power teams from other conferences are, that lose to the only good teams on their schedule, yet go 10-2.

Im saying you shouldnt judge performance solely on W-L record. That 2014 team goes 8-4 most years in the SEC. I guess many dont realize that.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 09:18 AM
I really dont see whats the deal with saying that 10-2 season was pretty poor for a 10-2 season. We beat the teams that were worse than us, and poor coaching let some of those almost steal a win. And we got obliterated in a couple games. We were overrated the same most power teams from other conferences are, that lose to the only good teams on their schedule, yet go 10-2.

Im saying you shouldnt judge performance solely on W-L record. That 2014 team goes 8-4 most years in the SEC. I guess many dont realize that.

I disagree.

We beat LSU at Tiger Stadium when they were undefeated.
We beat A&M when they were undefeated and Top 5.
We beat Auburn when they were undefeated and Top 5.
We did those in back to back weeks.

That is not a poor 10-2.

We derailed those 3 teams' seasons as far as we know. How different is our guys' motivation currently, and vs A&M a few weeks ago, if that Bell FG goes in vs LSU?

One heartbreaker, or a blowout like we gave those 3 last year, can completely dismantle a season when you have high expectations.

So was I disappointed in our finish? Yes. But was it a "poor 10-2"? No, I totally disagree with that.

Just my opinion

msstate7
10-12-2015, 09:22 AM
I disagree.

That is not a poor 10-2.

We derailed those 3 teams' seasons as far as we know. How different is our guys' motivation currently, and vs A&M a few weeks ago, if that Bell FG goes in vs LSU?

One heartbreaker, or a blowout like we gave those 3 last year, can completely dismantle a season when you have high expectations.

So was I disappointed in our finish? Yes. But was it a "poor 10-2"? No, I totally disagree with that.

Just my opinion

I think you're right. I don't think we ever recovered from the bama loss so that helps your theory

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 09:23 AM
I disagree.

That is not a poor 10-2.

Just my opinion

It's a good opinion.

BB30
10-12-2015, 09:27 AM
I disagree.

That is not a poor 10-2.

Just my opinion

Absolutely correct. I don't care how good or bad LSU is not many teams go into Tiger stadium and do what we did to them. We have also beaten Auburn 3 out of the last 4. Got a win against A and M last year. Lost to Alabama in t-town in a good ball game. How many teams beat bama on a consistent basis? Do yall honestly expect us to beat Bama and LSU consistently every year? Yes the OM game was frustrating last year but our 10-2 last year was a very good season and we were probably 2-4 plays from winning the west. If being put in a position to win the west in late November is the best Mullen can do I will take that all day.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 09:28 AM

Think about what you just said. We beat the teams that were worse than us and we went 10-2. That my friend is absolutely totally epic at MSU. We had to hang our hats on upsets to get to .500 for so so long that we think 10-2 is bad just because we don't pull one. By the way your evaluation is hindsight evaluation. At the time LSU, A&M and I think Auburn were all upsets.

LC Dawg
10-12-2015, 09:55 AM
I don't think any fan is completely satisfied if we don't win the national championship because that is the ultimate goal but I am thoroughly enjoying the present state of Mississippi State football. I went to Starkville Saturday and drank a few beers, ate some good food, and visited with my daughters and more family members and friends. Then I went to the game knowing we would beat Troy because that is what an SEC power should do and we are an SEC power. That has not always been the case and it feels good knowing we are a good football program. There is always room for improvement and I know a lot of our posters on here are very passionate about Mississippi State but for myself I am just going to enjoy it while its happening because I know how fast it can go away.

Coach34
10-12-2015, 09:58 AM
I have a question for the people that think Dan is not a championship caliber coach.... If you got your wish and we got rid of Mullen or he left, who would you hire right now that you know would have more success? I hear a lot of people saying we can do better but who would be that hire? Look at some of the best jobs in the country and the struggles they are having hiring a winning coach.

there is never a guarantee what you get will be better

BoomBoom
10-12-2015, 10:13 AM
I disagree.

That is not a poor 10-2.

Just my opinion

Yeah maybe those teams would have been better if they had beat us, but probably not. Judging those teams by their body of work on the season, they were overrated when we beat them, leading us to be overrated. Again, most years we lose 2 more games while performing that way. Thats the correct standard to judge it by when evaluating a coach.

Johnson85
10-12-2015, 10:25 AM

I think 9-3 in most years. LSU was down a little, but still pretty good. A&M and Auburn were both down some but were still pretty solid. UM was pretty solid. Arkansas was a much better team than their record suggested. There was a year or two where the SECW legitimately may have had 4 of the top ten teams in the country, but that was an anomaly. Last year was still a pretty good SECW; it just didn't have a dominant team.

I will agree that the way we finished makes you wonder if we weren't much worst than we looked, but I think that's just a matter of timing. We peaked early and went from a really good team to just a pretty good team. Then we didn't show up at the egg bowl and tried to play Ga Tech without a competent D.C. Impossible to prove, but I think we weren't quite as good as we played early and weren't nearly as terrible as we looked late. We still were a very good team over the course of the season and would have been in the hunt for the SEC championship game pretty much every year I can remember except with LSU and Bama played each other for the national championship game.

Johnson85
10-12-2015, 10:29 AM

There is no guarantee, but I think most objective college football fans would take Urban or Saban if they suddenly cared about MSU football and had the opportunity to hand pick a football coach. I think harbough would be in that grouping too.

it's fine to be frustrated with Mullen, but anybody who would realistically entertain firing him is crazy. Even if he never repeats last year and goes back to a cycle between 6 or 7 wins in odd years and 8 or 9 wins in even years, it is at least an even chance that when we replace him, we will take a step back.

Liverpooldawg
10-12-2015, 11:35 AM
there is never a guarantee what you get will be better

You once told me anybody would be better than Stansbury. Well, we found a guy that wasn't.

sleepy dawg
10-12-2015, 01:42 PM

I came into this season saying there was more parity in the SEC West than ever, and coaching would decide it. So far Mullen hasnt done well in that regard. He can turn it around, but I doubt it. So far he has shown he can run a great offense when he has a great QB and OL, or at least a good OL with a beast he can run behind on 3rd and short. If he cant prove he's more than that, then that means something, as much as some of you would prefer to ignore it.

This may be the worst statement I've ever heard from a supposed MSU fan. If you're an SEC school and you go 10-2, you didn't have a piss poor season... 17 you and your propaganda. We'd all be better off not even having people like you in our fan base.

BoomBoom
10-12-2015, 02:44 PM
This may be the worst statement I've ever heard from a supposed MSU fan. If you're an SEC school and you go 10-2, you didn't have a piss poor season... 17 you and your propaganda. We'd all be better off not even having people like you in our fan base.

Piss poor reading comprehension. Last year was a damn good season. But in no way should "10-2" be used to judge a coach's performance when that team would not go 10-2 most years. That Mullen had a team that peaked when everyone else was in a down year is NOT the same thing as Mullen producing a 10-2 team that might have won a championship. If Mullen is going to win a championship, he has to either put even more talent than that on the field, or coach better than he has. I dont think he can do either, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong. So far this year, he's proving me right.

If you didnt have people me in our fan base, youd still have Croom. I defended Mullen on here in 2012 and 2013. He had built a top 25 team, regardless of the records, and that was outstanding. But now the job is to deliver a top 10 team, and he's failing. He's getting less results with more talent. His performance is the point, not anything else.

Taog Redloh
10-12-2015, 03:02 PM
Yeah maybe those teams would have been better if they had beat us, but probably not. Judging those teams by their body of work on the season, they were overrated when we beat them, leading us to be overrated. Again, most years we lose 2 more games while performing that way. Thats the correct standard to judge it by when evaluating a coach.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa2014

Yeah buddy, those Auburn and LSU teams....over rated indeed. And while we are at it, add in Arkansas too.

You are dead wrong.

BoomBoom
10-12-2015, 03:52 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa2014

Yeah buddy, those Auburn and LSU teams....over rated indeed. And while we are at it, add in Arkansas too.

You are dead wrong.

Same site has us as 53rd right now this season. Try again.

Taog Redloh
10-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Same site has us as 53rd right now this season. Try again.
Which is about right. Can't really argue with it at this point.

Don't try and make this about something it is not. You are being crucified because you downplayed our 2014 season. Nothing more, nothing less.

BoomBoom
10-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Which is about right. Can't really argue with it at this point.

Don't try and make this about something it is not. You are being crucified because you downplayed our 2014 season. Nothing more, nothing less.

about right? to be the 53rd best team with this roster is just pathetic.

Our 2014 season deserves to be downplayed when it is taken as a program pinnacle that enshrines a Coach for Life. It's a testament to the program Mullen has built that a coach with a ceiling of a poor 10-3 is no longer good enough for MSU.

I don't care if i'm crucified. the same clowns crucified me for defending Mullen in 2012.

Goldendawg
10-12-2015, 08:22 PM
The bar has been raised and Coach Mullen played a big part in raising it for me. In my life of approx. 51 years I have seen much more very bad than great with MSU football. Jackie is still the only Coach that had me in Atlanta for the SEC Title Game. I have also said many times in my life that we could consistently win 7 to 8 games a year and every once in a while 10 or 11 and contend for the SEC crown, I would be happy. I no longer feel this way. Want another trip to Atlanta ASAP with Coach Mullen, but I still scratch my head at times over who is on the field vs. talent vs. years in the program, but I don't see practice. I have helped pay for it, both good and bad. I now expect a lot better every game.

BulldogBear
10-12-2015, 08:58 PM
It's simple arithmetic. If we lose to Auburn, TAMU, and LSU last year they are 9-3 each, a "normal" record for the "upper echelon" of a conference. We would have been 7-5, a middling kind of record, "appropriate" for Mississippi State. And it would have been considered to be a "normal" year. We did not beat them because they were down. We beat them because we were better than they were. They were each and every one 8-4 because they lost to us...not because they were "down." It's math, that's all.

The concept of the "down" year regarding blueblooders is a myth. They will sometimes have collapses. It generally still recruit well. They have down eras (see Tennessee) but do not truly have down years until a few collapses lead to them.