PDA

View Full Version : After perusing the Board, one thing is for Sure,

Drugdog
10-11-2015, 05:37 PM
The Natives are getting restless!! Nothing lasts forever Dan.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Standsbury pre sidney

Tripp McNeely
10-11-2015, 05:47 PM
You guys can't be serious

Drugdog
10-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Very. Evidently you don't watch the games.

defiantdog
10-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Standsbury pre sidney

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/05/0509b589d21c056b9958bbcad66988d91a84794de70bb760e7 c89bae8f401fab.jpg

bulldawg28
10-11-2015, 05:57 PM
I could care less what the natives think. If they could have done better by now they would have.

ShotgunDawg
10-11-2015, 05:59 PM
The Natives are getting restless!! Nothing lasts forever Dan.

Please explain "restless" in the context in which you used it.

Tripp McNeely
10-11-2015, 06:01 PM
We're 4-2 with losses to 2 top 10 teams. Ive watched EVERY PLAY of every game. No rational fan is RESTLESS for Mullen to go!

msstate7
10-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Please explain "restless" in the context in which you used it.

Yeah bc if "restless" is wanting Mullen fired, then I'm not "restless". If "restless" is wanting Mullen to adjust, then yeah, that's me. I don't want Mullen fired in the least

ShotgunDawg
10-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Yeah bc if "restless" is wanting Mullen fired, then I'm not "restless". If "restless" is wanting Mullen to adjust, then yeah, that's me. I don't want Mullen fired in the least

You got it.

If "restless" means that MSU fans aren't satisfied with a non championship caliber team, then I'd say that's healthy. If "restless" means the buzzards are beginning to circle to fire Mullen, then I'd say you are an idiot.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Standsbury pre sidney

Good lord, surely you aren't serious?

Saltydog
10-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Dan (this year) is his decision to stick with Shump, which seems to be waning some........The other complaint was the infamous delay of game call against LSU.......

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Good lord, surely you aren't serious?

Yes. I was the first one yelling we needed another direction in hoops way back. I'm yelling it now. Ceiling reached, floor raised, job well done. Time to change.

MedDawg
10-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Standsbury pre sidney

Sure, except that Mullen has finished in the equivalent of the 2nd round or better in the NCAAs the past 5 years in a row, including two Sweet Sixteens.

99jc
10-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Yes. I was the first one yelling we needed another direction in hoops way back. I'm yelling it now. Ceiling reached, floor raised, job well done. Time to change.

a year ago ...just a year ago. climb to the highest mt in Colorado and jump!

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:13 PM

Man, REALLY? The program has gone to the highest place it has ever been, EXACTLY one year ago today. Stans could never say that. There are no disciple problems. The transfer rate is very low. The players graduate. When they are in the headlines it's usually for the right reasons. Attendance is the highest it has ever been. Heck even in this "horrible down year", we have two losses to two Top 10 teams that are undefeated by a total of 15 points. Comparing the football program where it is now to what the basketball program back then is just asinine. It's irrational.

msstate7
10-11-2015, 07:19 PM
For the ones who want Mullen fired, do you want SS to do it now or wait till the season plays out? We have 3 games in a row that we should win potentially making us 7-2. I still feel we get to 8-4 this year. Is that a fireable offense here?

TUSK
10-11-2015, 07:22 PM
better question... who is available that'd take the job (that's better than Dan)?

sleepy dawg
10-11-2015, 07:24 PM
For the ones who want Mullen fired, do you want SS to do it now or wait till the season plays out? We have 3 games in a row that we should win potentially making us 7-2. I still feel we get to 8-4 this year. Is that a fireable offense here?

The goal is to be balanced. Record has very little importance.**

gravedigger
10-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Come back to the light, carol ann

Coach34
10-11-2015, 07:26 PM
I still feel we get to 8-4 this year. Is that a fireable offense here?

8-4 with this team is ridiculous- especially with the West like it is. It basically means we arent ever going to win the West with Mullen- because he wont ever be better than he has been in 2014 and 2015. Much like Stands in 2004 and 2005- he has gone as high as he can go.

msstate7
10-11-2015, 07:27 PM
better question... who is available that'd take the job (that's better than Dan)?

Id say we'd most likely get nick Saban, urban Meyer, or Jim harbaugh**

In reality if I were the ad here and Mullen left (I wouldn't fire him), I'd interview fuente of Memphis and tom Herman of Houston. I would've interviewed hud before NCAA trouble

msstate7
10-11-2015, 07:31 PM
8-4 with this team is ridiculous- especially with the West like it is. It basically means we arent ever going to win the West with Mullen- because he wont ever be better than he has been in 2014 and 2015. Much like Stands in 2004 and 2005- he has gone as high as he can go.

Lsu, aTm, bama, and OM are still good teams. No matter who we bring in, we aren't out-recruiting lsu, bama, or aTm. We've got to build teams up to win the west vs more talented teams. Unfortunately for us jrob leaving and a bad oline were too much to overcome and win the west this year IMO

Saltydog
10-11-2015, 07:32 PM
nt

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Who's pessimistic now, Liverpool? Ha

I seen it and Drugdog making me look like a sunshine pumper!

Firing Mullen Right Now would be as bad as rehiring Rick Ray. I'm pissed, but not THAT pissed.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 07:37 PM
This OL is alot better than it gets credit for.

3rd in Sacks Allowed- but has the 4th most attempts....and when you only run 2 running plays- its not hard for a D to diagnose. Especially when Prescott wouldnt run. When Prescott ran vs A&M- we had 200 yards rushing. No OL looks good with Brandon Holloway running between the tackles 3 straight times. Just dumb shit going on

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:37 PM

So, who is your Rick Ray this time?

TUSK
10-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Lsu, aTm, bama, and OM are still good teams. No matter who we bring in, we aren't out-recruiting lsu, bama, or aTm. We've got to build teams up to win the west vs more talented teams. Unfortunately for us jrob leaving and a bad oline were too much to overcome and win the west this year IMO

and Arkie, UT, Florida, Auburn etc aren't/weren't gonna be horrible forever...

msstate7
10-11-2015, 07:40 PM

3rd in Sacks Allowed- but has the 4th most attempts....and when you only run 2 running plays- its not hard for a D to diagnose. Especially when Prescott wouldnt run. When Prescott ran vs A&M- we had 200 yards rushing. No OL looks good with Brandon Holloway running between the tackles 3 straight times. Just dumb shit going on

So in our last real game, we ran it much better. Mullen shouldn't have to be creative vs Troy. If he has to be creative vs Troy, then our oline is bad as advertised, right?

CadaverDawg

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Our OL isn't as bad as Mullen makes em look with shitty personnel running shitty play calls.

But don't forget, even if our OL did "suck"...whose fault is that?

Coach34

Mullen is the 16th highest paid Coach in the NCAA- you can damn well bet someone good would. Nobody is saying "Fire Mullen"- but 8-4 this year would be underachieving. And if he remains hardheaded- he has indeed reached his celiing- and as we saw with Stands- you just have to wait out the implosion to fire him. Best you can hope for is for him to take another job before that happens and situation gets toxic as Stands didnt do

Coach34
10-11-2015, 07:41 PM
. If he has to be creative vs Troy, then our oline is bad as advertised, right?

No

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Who's pessimistic now, Liverpool? Ha

I seen it and Drugdog making me look like a sunshine pumper!

Firing Mullen Right Now would be as bad as rehiring Rick Ray. I'm pissed, but not THAT pissed.

Add 34 to your list too. I'd say firing Mullen now would be like re-hiring Rick Ray AND Sylvester Croom and being forced to keep them for a decade. It would be FAR, FAR worse than the Rebs firing Cutcliff like they did. Some of you need to step back from the ledge and lay off the sauce. It's making you totally irrational.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 07:42 PM
a year ago ...just a year ago. climb to the highest mt in Colorado and jump!

Good one.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 07:46 PM
I think it's time to change. Because I don't believe Mullen will and our ceiling is hit. You clowns throwing the well why don't you just fire him now are just being stupid. Nobody is firing anyone now. I want him to change and I want him to stay here forever and make our ceiling higher. I don't think he will change so he could leave and it won't break my heart.

And I never said fire him. That would be stupid to do with the state of our program and what he's done. No one in their right mind would fire him but if he gets an opportunity to leave I would be happy with him taking it.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:48 PM

Nobody is really arguing that we do a horrible job of pass blocking. Surely you aren't trying to argue that they are good at run blocking?

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 07:48 PM

I've got one name right now that would take it. And no I'm not saying it but it's real and would be a huge splash.

You clowns (not directed at you tusk) go ahead and be stupid and rail away about me not saying a name. Get it out of your systems.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:49 PM
I think it's time to change. Because I don't believe Mullen will and our ceiling is hit. You clowns throwing the well why don't you just fire him now are just being stupid. Nobody is firing anyone now. I want him to change and I want him to stay here forever and make our ceiling higher. I don't think he will change so he could leave and it won't break my heart.

And I never said fire him. That would be stupid to do with the state of our program and what he's done. No one in their right mind would fire him but if he gets an opportunity to leave I would be happy with him taking it.

Then why make his job harder?

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 07:50 PM
I've got one name right now that would take it. And no I'm not saying it but it's real and would be a huge splash.

You clowns (not directed at you tusk) go ahead and be stupid and rail away about me not saying a name. Get it out of your systems.

Is he on the same list that everybody said would be beating down our door when we fired Stans?

Taog Redloh
He's making 4 million dollars bruh

I seen it dawg

I'm glad I have no idea what you are talking about...please explain

Taog Redloh
10-11-2015, 07:51 PM
No one in their right mind would fire him but if he gets an opportunity to leave I would be happy with him taking it.
Wouldn't hurt my feelings either. Consolation prize - we are no longer considered a coaching graveyard

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Is he on the same list that everybody said would be beating down our door when we fired Stans?

There you go get it out. That was quick

TUSK
10-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Mullen is the 16th highest paid Coach in the NCAA- you can damn well bet someone good would. Nobody is saying "Fire Mullen"- but 8-4 this year would be underachieving. And if he remains hardheaded- he has indeed reached his celiing- and as we saw with Stands- you just have to wait out the implosion to fire him. Best you can hope for is for him to take another job before that happens and situation gets toxic as Stands didnt do

fair enough... thanks for the reply, Coach.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Heard today a quote from Parcells...get out a year too early rather than a year too late.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 08:03 PM
He's making 4 million dollars bruh

Yep, that's good for 8th in the SEC and is at or near the bottom in the West.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 08:13 PM

Ben Howland took our job once it stopped being toxic. The culture Stands let the job get to was why we hired Rick Ray- not the job itself. This isnt hard to see if you look.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Yep, that's good for 8th in the SEC and is at or near the bottom in the West.

ok? We arent going to hire a coach from another SEC school. So not sure what you are saying here. But a really good coach from another conference that is the 30th or 35th highest paid coach would love to make a move to the 16th best paycheck

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Ben Howland took our job once it stopped being toxic. The culture Stands let the job get to was why we hired Rick Ray- not the job itself. This isnt hard to see if you look.

LOL. Howland said what Stans had done was one of the main reasons he took the job. We had to have OUR attitudes adjusted and OUR expectations lowered before anyone would take it. Anyone can clean up toxicity. They just don't want to be held to unrealistic expectations while they are doing it. Fact remains if we run Mullen off we do what we did to Allyn McKeen, with the same long term result. That is what you are advocating.

HSVDawg
10-11-2015, 08:21 PM

Way too early for this type of talk. The reality is we are still a top 25ish team at the time being with potential to climb higher or fall lower. Regardless of what direction anyone thinks we will go over the remaining 6 games, that is the situation and no one can realistically call it a fireable offense to start 4-2 with 4 of the remaining 6 games at home. To me the ultimate litmus test is the same as always, the Egg Bowl. If we finish 7-5 or 6-6 with a loss at home to the Bears, Mullen's seat will be white hot going into next year. Anything better and the vast majority of our fanbase will be at very least satisfied if not elated.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:23 PM
So because some of us think he has hit his ceiling it's running him off? That's dumb. I want him to take another job.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Way too early for this type of talk. The reality is we are still a top 25ish team at the time being with potential to climb higher or fall lower. Regardless of what direction anyone thinks we will go over the remaining 6 games, that is the situation and no one can realistically call it a fireable offense to start 4-2 with 4 of the remaining 6 games at home. To me the ultimate litmus test is the same as always, the Egg Bowl. If we finish 7-5 or 6-6 with a loss at home to the Bears, Mullen's seat will be white hot going into next year. Anything better and the vast majority of our fanbase will be at very least satisfied if not elated.

Never said fire

confucius say
10-11-2015, 08:27 PM
So because some of us think he has hit his ceiling it's running him off? That's dumb. I want him to take another job.

Saying you want him to take another job is the passive aggressive version of running him off. It's like not having the balls to dump your girl, but treating her like crap until she dumps you.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Saying you want him to take another job is the passive aggressive version of running him off. It's like not having the balls to dump your girl, but treating her like crap until she dumps you.

Ok. I guess

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 08:29 PM

Well that's kind of like wanting your cake and eat it to. Sounds like you want him gone but know we have no reason to get rid of him on our end. So you hope he leaves so the appearance is that we didn't get rid of a successful coach. Wanting him gone is still wanting him gone. Whether it's by you firing him or him leaving for another job, you are saying you want him gone.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 08:33 PM
Man, I wish I could buy everyone in this thread a shot. Errbody needs to chill. I'm as negative as anybody, and as pissed and frustrated as anybody....that being said, running Mullen off is 100% not in our best interest as a program right now. And frankly, we would look absolutely foolish to do it, and we already look crazy as a fan base for suggesting it.

I love my fellow pessimists, but count me out of making our program a laughing stock and undesirable for running off one of our best coaches in history, a year after a 10 win season, and in the midst of another 6-7 win season. It ain't time.....yet.

But if Mullen doesn't remove his head, and Hev's head, from his ass....it won't be many more years.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:34 PM
I'm being pragmatic about it because that's the reality. It would look dumb to fire him and possibly hurt our search. But if he left for another big job then that's ok. Yes I want him gone. Can't fire him though.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:37 PM
IVE NEVER ADVOCATED FIRING MULLEN. Wanting a different direction and not firing the current guy can be mutually exclusive.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 08:39 PM
I'm glad I have no idea what you are talking about...please explain

The clamor and bashing may not hurt, but it certainly doesn't help. Why do it if you don't want to fire him or run him off. We are starting to be laughed at by other fanbases for even suggesting it. They would agree with though, they would like to see him leave too.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 08:39 PM
LOL. Howland said what Stans had done was one of the main reasons he took the job. We had to have OUR attitudes adjusted and OUR expectations lowered before anyone would take it. Anyone can clean up toxicity. They just don't want to be held to unrealistic expectations while they are doing it. Fact remains if we run Mullen off we do what we did to Allyn McKeen, with the same long term result. That is what you are advocating.

Howland also mentioned Richard Williams too. So what?

Not everyone wants to clean up toxicity and go thru the year or two of losing to do that. Mullen and Howland both let someone do that for them.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Well hopefully he reads our board then and discards my not liking him and takes some suggestions for getting his head out of his ass. That would be great.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:41 PM
The clamor and bashing may not hurt, but it certainly doesn't help. Why do it if you don't want to fire him or run him off. We are starting to be laughed at by other fanbases for even suggesting it. They would agree with though, they would like to see him leave too.

But I do want him to leave

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:42 PM
If Mullen were to ask me my opinion I would tell him to get his head out of his ass and be better. And if he's not willing or can't do it then carry his ass.

Coach34
Yes I want him gone. Can't fire him though.

exactly. Nobody is saying fire Mullen

But if he remains hardheaded and doesnt change a few things- he has indeed reached that ceiling

Todd4State
IVE NEVER ADVOCATED FIRING MULLEN. Wanting a different direction and not firing the current guy can be mutually exclusive.

I agree with you on this. I don't think Dan should be fired but I also agree that he has hit his ceiling. It has gotten to the point where his lack of creativity and being hard headed about personnel are starting to hold us back. And it especially rears it's ugly head in big games like LSU this year.

If Dan takes another job after this year, I wouldn't give a crap and I'd just wish him well and go after Fuente or whomever Coach and you are talking about.

confucius say
10-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Stupid thread is stupid

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Stupid thread is stupid

With you contributing greatly to such

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 08:44 PM
If Mullen were to ask me my opinion I would tell him to get his head out of his ass and be better. And if he's not willing or can't do it then carry his ass.

You have no idea how badly I wanted to yell this at him from the stands Saturday. Somehow I refrained.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Well, seeing as the ceiling last year was #1 before we fell off the ladder y'all sound pretty foolish. Mullen is doing a remarkable job here. Other fan bases know this. MOST of ours does.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Stupid thread is stupid

Do you see Dan getting better or changing how he does things after seven years of watching him coach?

msstate7
10-11-2015, 08:47 PM
If last year was dan's ceiling, hopefully he hits it every few years. Saban won't be at bama too many more years. Mullen is a young coach, so hopefully as he gets more experience his recruiting and coaching get better with age.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 08:47 PM

+1

I agree

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Well, seeing as the ceiling last year was #1 before we fell off the ladder y'all sound pretty foolish. Mullen is doing a remarkable job here. Other fan bases know this. MOST of ours does.

That's like bragging about making honor roll at midterm. The goal should be to be number one at the end of the year. All last year means is that we have the POTENTIAL to be number one. But to do that we have to be aggressive the entire year and not go out like a bunch of ******* losing to our two biggest rivals and then our bowl game.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:49 PM

What did we win last year? If the goal is to be #1 for a few weeks, which was great, then I don't want that guy or fans. He has done a good job here. I think he's done the best he is going to do and I think we can do better than just being 1 for a few weeks. Reason being he has hit his own coaching ceiling.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Stands won the SEC in 2004 and was a #2 seed- never reached that level again. He had a special player in LR with the right players and then fell back to an 8-9 seed the next year. Then downhill after 2005.

Stop acting like it cant happen to Mullen

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 08:50 PM

No Megan, "remarkable" would be NOT falling off the damn ladder. He's doing good over his tenure here...but his offense has been shit in every big game since about one year ago to the day, excluding the Orange Bowl.

confucius say
10-11-2015, 08:50 PM
With you contributing greatly to such

Somebody has to add logic to this emotion-filled dumpster fire of a thread.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:51 PM
If last year was dan's ceiling, hopefully he hits it every few years. Saban won't be at bama too many more years. Mullen is a young coach, so hopefully as he gets more experience his recruiting and coaching get better with age.

I would love that. I don't think he will change. If he don't change then we are as good as we will ever be and its not good enough.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 08:52 PM
That's like bragging about making honor roll at midterm. The goal should be to be number one at the end of the year. All last year means is that we have the POTENTIAL to be number one. But to do that we have to be aggressive the entire year and not go out like a bunch of ******* losing to our two biggest rivals and then our bowl game.

Amen. I'm tired of this soft, sissy shit

BossDawg
10-11-2015, 08:52 PM
You'd have to be delusional to legitimately want Mullen gone after all he has done at State. Yeah, I'd like to see some significantly better recruiting and play calling, but you have to admit that he has gotten the program to where it isn't the laughing stock of the SEC anymore. Look at the majority of the SEC coaches and how they're doing..Dan is doing a very respectable job. Room for improvement? Hell yeah but not grounds to go off searching for a new coach.

confucius say
10-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Stands won the SEC in 2004 and was a #2 seed- never reached that level again. He had a special player in LR with the right players and then fell back to an 8-9 seed the next year. Then downhill after 2005.

Stop acting like it cant happen to Mullen

Stop acting like it will. What have you seen from dan that makes you think he will allow our program to turn into a complete dumpster fire like Stans did?

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:54 PM
You'd have to be delusional to legitimately want Mullen gone after all he has done at State. Yeah, I'd like to see some significantly better recruiting and play calling, but you have to admit that he has gotten the program to where it isn't the laughing stock of the SEC anymore. Look at the majority of the SEC coaches and how they're doing..Dan is doing a very respectable job.

You need to catch up. Raised the floor. Did good. Hit ceiling if he left won't break my heart.

chef dixon
10-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Has best year yet, 6 games later, he definitely hit is ceiling.

Give me a damn break.

confucius say
10-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Do you see Dan getting better or changing how he does things after seven years of watching him coach?

Marginally at most. I see him as a coach who will average 8 wins, top out at 11, and bottom out at bowl eligibility.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Has best year yet, 6 games later, he definitely hit is ceiling.

Give me a damn break.

What have we done since this time last year? That's hitting a ceiling.

confucius say
10-11-2015, 08:59 PM
You need to catch up. Raised the floor. Did good. Hit ceiling if he left won't break my heart.

You say that as though that floor is permanently raised regardless of who the head coach is.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 09:02 PM
You say that as though that floor is permanently raised regardless of who the head coach is.

It's raised just as Jackie raised it and showed us we can actually win. Dan has showed us we can reach number one for a few weeks according to all the same media people we bitch about being idiots. But that does mean we are good. We finished for shit and its continued this year. That's raising the floor to an expectation we should have year in and year out. If he leaves and we make a hire that starts to lower our floor then the AD needs to be canned.

chef dixon
10-11-2015, 09:03 PM
And Mullen is starting to look like Stands? Really? They couldn't be any more different. Freeze is a lot more like Stands: recruit but not coach, players get in trouble, win some but not consistently. Mullen actually probably does almost the best job you could do with the type of talent you can reasonably expect to sign at MSU, that's what fans so quickly forget.

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 09:07 PM

I personally thought dingleberry should have been fired after the 2009-2010 season when we returned all 5 starters from a 2009 sec tourney champ team and completely crapped the bed all season and missed the tournament

War Machine Dawg
10-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Just to add some substance to the discussion, how do those who want to see us recruit better suggest we do so without a total overhaul of our compliance department? Because as I see it, we can't organize and play the game on the same level as most of our competition. Getting better at working in the gray areas is what it will take, but we've handcuffed our ability to do that.

TUSK
10-11-2015, 09:10 PM

Irrelevant, I've just successfully cloned "Mini Saban"...

He's 13 3/4" tall.

War Machine Dawg
I personally thought dingleberry should have been fired after the 2009-2010 season when we returned all 5 starters from a 2009 sec tourney champ team and completely crapped the bed all season and missed the tournament

Completely agree. When he missed the NCAAT with Swat, Barry, Bost & Co, that should've been the end. But no one had the balls to do it.

Tripp McNeely
Why did half of our fanbase decide to lose its shit after a 28 POINT WIN??? The Stans/Mullen comparisons are literally insane! Mullen has built a perennial 8-9++ win program. We'll have to LIVE with 8-9 wins 75% of the time and her to enjoy the pluses the other 25%...I can't fathom how anyone could expect more!

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Why did half of our fanbase decide to lose its shit after a 28 POINT WIN???

Half our fanbase?

Probably more like 10-15 people

confucius say
10-11-2015, 09:14 PM
It's raised just as Jackie raised it and showed us we can actually win. Dan has showed us we can reach number one for a few weeks according to all the same media people we bitch about being idiots. But that does mean we are good. We finished for shit and its continued this year. That's raising the floor to an expectation we should have year in and year out. If he leaves and we make a hire that starts to lower our floor then the AD needs to be canned.

No. Dan has not raised the floor "just as Jws did." Dans floor is much higher, as in bowl eligibility. Plus, Jws won when the west was garbage. It's the toughest division in ncaa now last five years.

And are you saying last years floor should be our floor "year in and year out?" Surely I misunderstood that.

ShotgunDawg
10-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Because I think we are more objective and less emotional about other programs, should Auburn fire Malzahn?

If not, why? How is his situation different?

Coach34
10-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Because I think we are more objective and less emotional about other programs, should Auburn fire Malzahn?

Nobody has said "Fire Mullen"- not sure why people cant understand that

TUSK
10-11-2015, 09:19 PM

They will hang him from the tallest oak on Toomer's Corner if he goes "Oh Fer" in the SEC this year.

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Completely agree. When he missed the NCAAT with Swat, Barry, Bost & Co, that should've been the end. But no one had the balls to do it.

Nope the administration sat and watched as our coaches put Sidney on a sumo wrestling training plan

BossDawg
10-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Why did half of our fanbase decide to lose its shit after a 28 POINT WIN??? The Stans/Mullen comparisons are literally insane! Mullen has built a perennial 8-9++ win program. We'll have to LIVE with 8-9 wins 75% of the time and her to enjoy the pluses the other 25%...I can't fathom how anyone could expect more!

We're just all frustrated to some point. I don't think we need to be jumping off a cliff and talking about Dan's replacement, but something somewhere isn't 100% if you have arguably the best ( definitely most experienced ) QB in the SEC with plenty of talent around him but still can't score over 20 points in a conference game. State fans know we have the ability to be better and we're waiting to take that next step, but it seems like there's ALWAYS one, just one, weakness that prevents that next step. It's just damn frustrating and people have to vent some way.

Again, IMO, it's nowhere near time for Dan to go but there are some things that could be improved. I'm ignorant on how a college football program is operated so I have no idea how to make those improvements, but I certainly don't think a new coach and starting completely over is the answer.

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 09:27 PM
No. Dan has not raised the floor "just as Jws did." Dans floor is much higher, as in bowl eligibility. Plus, Jws won when the west was garbage. It's the toughest division in ncaa now last five years.

And are you saying last years floor should be our floor "year in and year out?" Surely I misunderstood that.

Yes the floor is higher than Jackie. Not hard to understand that. Last year showed it CAN be done. If our coach gets better we COULD do better than last year. I'm not sure where the confusion is. Are you saying that we shouldn't want last year to be our floor?

I seen it dawg
10-11-2015, 09:30 PM
We're just all frustrated to some point. I don't think we need to be jumping off a cliff and talking about Dan's replacement, but something somewhere isn't 100% if you have arguably the best ( definitely most experienced ) QB in the SEC with plenty of talent around him but still can't score over 20 points in a conference game. State fans know we have the ability to be better and we're waiting to take that next step, but it seems like there's ALWAYS one, just one, weakness that prevents that next step. It's just damn frustrating and people have to vent some way.

Again, IMO, it's nowhere near time for Dan to go but there are some things that could be improved. I'm ignorant on how a college football program is operated so I have no idea how to make those improvements, but I certainly don't think a new coach and starting completely over is the answer.

Once again I would rather him stay and make it happen. I don't think he can. He is what he is and I want more.

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Yes the floor is higher than Jackie. Not hard to understand that. Last year showed it CAN be done. If our coach gets better we COULD do better than last year. I'm not sure where the confusion is. Are you saying that we shouldn't want last year to be our floor?

Wait. You are saying that at this point in our program with Mullen, 10-2 regular season should be the expected floor?

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Just to add some substance to the discussion, how do those who want to see us recruit better suggest we do so without a total overhaul of our compliance department? Because as I see it, we can't organize and play the game on the same level as most of our competition. Getting better at working in the gray areas is what it will take, but we've handcuffed our ability to do that.

I want to see how long Ole Miss gets put on probation before I answer this.

I would rather have consistently good seasons where 8 wins is our floor and a NC is our ceiling than have three good seasons and have the program destroyed by the NCAA and have to rebuild for awhile.

confucius say
10-11-2015, 09:38 PM

I'm saying we should live in reality and understand that ten wins will never be our floor. Nor anyone else's.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Wait. You are saying that at this point in our program with Mullen, 10-2 regular season should be the expected floor?

With this team it should be if we're honest with ourselves. And to do that, Dan has to win out at this point.

It shouldn't take a coach five games to figure out that something should be done about the running back position.

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 09:48 PM
With this team it should be if we're honest with ourselves. And to do that, Dan has to win out at this point.

It shouldn't take a coach five games to figure out that something should be done about the running back position.

Well that's just an opinion based on your expectations, that many did not share, coming into this specific season. These floors and ceilings, for the majority of the people, are an expected range for most seasons. Yeah it's somewhat adjustable, but a lot of people didn't think this teams floor, meaning the least it should expect to do is 10-2. That's an unreasonable expectation for the floor.

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Mullen ain't getting fired after this year. Even if we wind up 4-8 he'll still be here. So if you're worried about him getting fired because some people on a message board are pissed off then chill out. The point is these people have a right to be pissed off. They pay for season tickets, they give to the bulldog club. The fact is that Dan has done a lot for this program, but he still has flaws and if he doesn't improve and grow as a coach then we will be winning in between 6-8 games and goin to the Liberty bowl most years with a slight possiblility of 10 win season once in a blue moon.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
10-11-2015, 09:49 PM
I'm confused. Did I come to a Georgia board? The timing of this thread is a little off. I thought we won Saturday and were up by 38 at the half.

BoomBoom
10-11-2015, 09:53 PM
Well that's just an opinion based on your expectations, that many did not share, coming into this specific season. These floors and ceilings, for the majority of the people, are an expected range for most seasons. Yeah it's somewhat adjustable, but a lot of people didn't think this teams floor, meaning the least it should expect to do is 10-2. That's an unreasonable expectation for the floor.

I think their point re a floor of 10 wins this year is, if we don't reach that, it means something serious went wrong. If it's not injuries, then its coaching.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
10-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Mullen ain't getting fired after this year. Even if we wind up 4-8 he'll still be here. So if you're worried about him getting fired because some people on a message board are pissed off then chill out. The point is these people have a right to be pissed off. They pay for season tickets, they give to the bulldog club. The fact is that Dan has done a lot for this program, but he still has flaws and if he doesn't improve and grow as a coach then we will be winning in between 6-8 games and goin to the Liberty bowl most years with a slight possiblility of 10 win season once in a blue moon.

He did it last year and was a Vick Ballard fumble from doing it in 2010. With Relf as our QB. I don't know if that fits the Blue Moon analogy.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 09:57 PM

With a Heisman caliber QB and Bama and LSU at home it's not.

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 10:03 PM
I think their point re a floor of 10 wins this year is, if we don't reach that, it means something serious went wrong. If it's not injuries, then its coaching.

Oh I understand what they are saying but a 10-2 FLOOR is unreasonable to a majority of people including other posters who are disgruntled with the season and Mullen. We went 10-2 last year for the first time since....and that is the floor now? That's insane. The vast vast majority had 8-11 wins this year. 8 would be the floor by most coming into the season. 10 should have never been considered the floor for this year that's asinine.

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 10:06 PM
With a Heisman caliber QB and Bama and LSU at home it's not.

Your talking out your butt. The vast majority did not come into the season thinking 10 wins was the floor. Heck most was hoping to match last year. Which would be considered the ceiling not the floor. Your arguing for something that wasn't realistic to even a majority of Mullen detractors. Get out of here with a 10 win season this year as the floor that wasn't true at the beginning of the year and you know it.

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 10:08 PM
He did it last year and was a Vick Ballard fumble from doing it in 2010. With Relf as our QB. I don't know if that fits the Blue Moon analogy.

Once in seven years. I know but if this had happened or if this had bounced our way. Guess what? It didn't. Fact once in 7 years. I will say we need to get back to the 09-10 running play calling. It seemed we had a lot more creativity back then with our play calling with a worse qb

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
10-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Once in seven years. I know but if this had happened or if this had bounced our way. Guess what? It didn't. Fact once in 7 years. I will say we need to get back to the 09-10 running play calling. It seemed we had a lot more creativity back then with our play calling with a worse qb

Zone read every other play back then. Remind me how often did 10 wins happen prior to Mullen?

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Your talking out your butt. The vast majority did not come into the season thinking 10 wins was the floor. Heck most was hoping to match last year. Which would be considered the ceiling not the floor. Your arguing for something that wasn't realistic to even a majority of Mullen detractors. Get out of here with a 10 win season this year as the floor that wasn't true at the beginning of the year and you know it.
To me it's not the fact that we're 4-2 that has me irritated. It's the fact that our offense looks like it has no idea what they wanna do in big games. It's one thing to lose when you play your tail off but the other team was just better. It's another to go out and lose looking like you had no plan whatsoever. For example, in the LSU game we came out on offense and looked completely lost. We came out with no agressiveness and looked content to just send shump up the middle 3 plays and punt it. At 4-2 we still have a lot in front of us and can still have a 9-3 or 10-2 season but Dan will have to remove his head from his ass.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
10-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Last year spoiled me. But this thread is ridiculous. 10-2 floor? Would be happy if Mullen left? Dak coming back was huge, the media way overstated the loss of starters, and the schedule set up semi-favorably. But no know was this a 10-2 floor team. I really like this board, but it seems a few posters are all together at one's house and drinking heavily. I'm going back to mostly reading and not posting, just wanted to state my piece.

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Zone read every other play back then. Remind me how often did 10 wins happen prior to Mullen?
We did counters and a lot more misdirection. Oh and we killed teams with screens to perk. I think we had won 10 games 2 or 3 times before Mullen. So yes Mullen has done a very good job here, but I'm not gonna sit here and bow to him and claim he has no flaws. At this point I see the 6-8 win being the norm and last was an outlier. The main thing that irritates me is the poor performances in big games. He atleast beats the teams he's supposed to beat and I will give him credit for that because JWS didn't even always do that

TUSK
10-11-2015, 10:30 PM
for those who are "disgruntled" with Dan, is it more of "how" the team has performed, the talent level, or "how" the games have been coached, or the overall record? or a combination of the above???

at the beginning of the season, what were your W/L expectations? and after seeing how good/bad other teams are, what are "expectations" now...?

I know that when I set my expectations, I focus as much or more on schedule and/or the progression/digression of the teams on said slate...

For example: Preseason, I was sweating @AU (they suck bad), @UGA (doesn't match up well with Bama) the most... and that's obviously not the case now... nor did I expect 873 turnovers at home to OM.... now, what I thought was an impossible schedule is only a couple of breaks away from 12-0...

any of that make any sense?

Coach34
10-11-2015, 10:34 PM

We were 8-4 in 2010

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 10:37 PM
for those who are "disgruntled" with Dan, is it more of "how" the team has performed, the talent level, or "how" the games have been coached, or the overall record? or a combination of the above???

at the beginning of the season, what were your W/L expectations? and after seeing how good/bad other teams are, what are "expectations" now...?

I know that when I set my expectations, I focus as much or more on schedule and/or the progression/digression of the teams on said slate...

For example: Preseason, I was sweating @AU (they suck bad), @UGA (doesn't match up well with Bama) the most... and that's obviously not the case now... nor did I expect 873 turnovers at home to OM.... now, what I thought was an impossible schedule is only a couple of breaks away from 12-0...

At the beginning of the season I said I would be disappointed with less than 8 reg season wins. I predicted 9-3. So technically that is still mathematically possible. So it's not the record that I'm so irritated at its how piss poor offensive game planning has been. We could still get to 8 or 9 wins or hell even 10 wins if your Tide have another 873 turnovers in em. So I guess I'm more irritated at the excecution/coaching of the offense or lack thereof.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
10-11-2015, 10:40 PM
We were 8-4 in 2010

Point taken but we won 9 with the bowl. And Bayou Dawg just said win 10. Either way, 1 in 7 is likely better than any other coach we have ever had. And I like Fitz and Staley and all our young talent - may not have to wait another 7 years to do it again.

BayouDawg
10-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Point taken but we won 9 with the bowl. And Bayou Dawg just said win 10. Either way, 1 in 7 is likely better than any other coach we have ever had. And I like Fitz and Staley and all our young talent - may not have to wait another 7 years to do it again.

I like them too. And I hope Dan does take us back to the promised land. I was just saying that my opinion is that we'll be in the 6-8 win reg season mostly but that doesn't make it gospel thats just my humble opinion.

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2015, 12:06 AM

Know exactly what you mean. Really, in terms of W-L, I think we're about where most of us thought we'd be or maybe 1 game down before the season started. But with the way it's played out, we've played 2 of the 3 best SEC West teams already, imo. Every West team, except maybe LSU and aTm, have at least one major question mark. So I think most of us see how weak the division is, factor in that we were just a FG away from beating LSU, throw in having the SEC's best QB and we feel like we're underachieving.

I don't think anyone is too concerned with the talent level, with the possible exception of the OL. And even that unit has some damn good players like Jamaal Clayborne and Justin Senior. For most, I think the concern is with "how" the team has performed and "how" the team has been coached. We're seeing the same issues that have been prevalent throughout Mullen's tenure: ridiculous levels of loyalty to shitty upperclassmen, poor game plans for "big" games especially in the 1st half, etc.

For instance, you seem to post here enough to have a general idea of the debate about our RB situation. Mullen is giving the bulk of the carries to Shumpert, who is a JR that's only averaging about 3 YPC this season and only averages about 4 YPC for his career to date. The number is a little bit inflated by 3 good games at the end of last season. On the other hand, we have 2 RS freshmen Aeris Williams and Dontavian Lee. Williams was a highly recruited player a couple of years ago and was the MS HS PotY. I also think he was the MS Gatorade PotY. Some coaches were calling him the best RB prospect from MS in 25 years. Lee was a 3 star guy that was really underrated. Williams has been decent so far, but hasn't really shown he has "it" at the position. He's averaging just 4 YPC so far this year. Lee, on the other hand, has been the talk of everyone since hitting campus. He supposedly showed out last year in practice. Then when everyone finally gets to see him in the spring game, he has a big day and looks really good. Lee followed that up by having a good fall camp, but somehow still found himself 3rd on the depth chart. In spite of that, he has shown out every time he's been given a chance in games this year. He has looked really good, showing burst to and through the hole and being really physical. He's averaging 8 YPC this season, but I can only remember him getting one carry in a game before the 4th quarter.

Now, go back a couple of years to 2012 and 2013. We have a RS JR/SR in LaDarius Perkins starting at RB. He has been a good change of pace back in his career, but he bulked himself up to be an "every down" back after Vick Ballard graduated. The result was he lost the quickness and top end speed that made him so great and our team struggled to run the ball. On the other hand, we had this young kid you might have heard of named Josh Robinson. J-Rob didn't play much, but every time he got a chance, he showed out. By the midway point of the season, it was abundantly clear that J-Rob needed to be getting the bulk of the carries with Perkins being used as his change of pace complement. But Mullen stuck with Perkins as the primary back in spite of all evidence that J-Rob was ready to be the man. In 2012, we stumbled to an 8-4 regular season after starting 7-0, then get obliterated in our bowl game by Northwestern. 2013, we barely finish 6-6, but destroy Rice in the Liberty Bowl.

Basically, we feel like we're seeing the same misplaced loyalty from Mullen when it comes to who plays and who doesn't, evidence be damned. I think many of us feel that sometimes Mullen loses sight of the forest for the trees. We're a really good developmental program, so Mullen believes that if a guy comes in, follows the plan, and works hard then he'll succeed. Because that has generally been the formula for most of our guys. But every so often, an upperclassman struggles when it's his turn to have an expanded role. At the same time, a young guy comes along and does nothing but show he's ready to be an impact player that deserves a bigger role. Instead of that change happening, however, Mullen sticks with the older guy in the belief that he'll figure it out with more experience. Meanwhile, the team suffers because he won't replace a guy who is struggling.

Then you have to throw in things like Mullen's shitty clock management, blatant choosing of favorites, our inconsistent and bland play calling, etc. One of the best MSU tweets I've seen lately was this: "Hi, I'm aggressive play call Dan Mullen and I have DirecTV. And I'm overthink every play call Dan Mullen, and I have cable."

Hope some of that makes sense.

Dawg61
10-12-2015, 03:00 AM
There are some really ****ing stupid posts in this thread and why Todd are you even in this thread? Your man crush for Cohen and limited football knowledge excludes you from being here. Sorry bud but don't you have some fall baseball stats to be staring at right now?

This thread is what happens when you never pull upsets. Mullen has got to improve his record when he isn't favored. It's that simple. We will go 9-3 this year. Book it. 9-3 is a .750 winning %. Do you know how many coaches that aren't as old as Babe Ruth have a .750 or better winning % in the history of the SEC? FOUR. Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Les Miles and Bear Bryant. Not even Steve ****ing Spurrier has a .750 winning %. As far as I'm concerned Mullen is 14-5 right now because it was always going to take a couple years after Shitcroom. If Mullen finishes this year with a bowl win, an Egg Bowl win and a 9-3 regular season we will be 20-6 in the last two years. Get the **** out of here with this "I hope he takes another job" shit!! I hope yall find another team to root for if you wanna run off 20-6 football coaches. We just gonna magically turn into Saban Bama once we reached #1 now? Remember we lost to MAINE and Auburn 3-2.

I do believe Mullen is stubborn and makes lots of mistakes BUT I also believe Mullen is highly critical of himself and eager to improve. Did yall not even notice he made changes vs Troy that we all asked for one week ago? He showed that he listens. He threw the ball deep A LOT. He gave us looks at ALL the RBs, he kicked the ball out of the endzone, he took the ball first, he scored right away, he played Shump minimally and he gave us all a very long look at Fitz. These are all things he did differently from any other game this year and they are all things we've been screaming to see (except the kicking through the endzone, I'm not in favor of this). Do you guys listen to his pregame/halftime/post game interviews? He tells us that he's adjusting. That's what we want guys. We want Mullen to always be growing. HE IS!!!!! Start WATCHING AND LISTENING better!!!

NCDawg
10-12-2015, 07:34 AM

The HC job at Maryland is now open, although it would be a significant decrease in pay for Mullen if he was hired there. Edsall, the former coach, was paid 10M for 6 years. As I understand it, Mullen is paid 4M per year at State. Thus, after 6 years, Mullen would be paid 14M less if he took the Maryland job provided Maryland paid Mullen the same as the former coach.

Really Clark?
10-12-2015, 08:37 AM
WMD, to save space I'm not going to replay to your post. The only thing I want to point out is in 2012 you had a 1,000 runner in Perk and Griffin avg more per carry than JRob. People complained about the play calling of running Perk in situations but people were not nearly as vocal about changing backs until 2013. Especially with JRob. He really didn't do much until the bowl game against Northwestern. That's what started it for the 2013 season. But during the regular season he did not have all these explosive runs on limited carries. He had a few and also had 3 carries for 3 yards against Middle Tenn. You are letting the 2013 season calls for more JRob bled into 2012 and that didn't happen. Perk with 1,000 and little over 5 ypc, people were not calling to bench him

AROB44
10-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Unfortunately, Dan is in year 7 what I consider the average life of a coach at a particular school. Seems like 10 years is about it. Don't really care how he is doing in the W -L column. Fans start picking apart every little aspect of his tenure and get the idea that fresh blood is the answer. So....I figure Dan has 2 more years after this tops. Then good ole MSU can start all over again.....a movie I have seen far too many times. I know the argument that with SEC money, etc, we will be able to get someone really good, etc. Sorry....I just don't buy it as much as many on hear do. However, I am consoled by the fact that the unhappy folks that post on here make up a very very small portion of the fanbase and probably a smaller portion of meaningful contributors to the Bulldog Club.

Drugdog
10-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Wow. Got a lot of discussion. No I don't Mullen fired but changes need to be made somewhere.

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2015, 10:28 AM
WMD, to save space I'm not going to replay to your post. The only thing I want to point out is in 2012 you had a 1,000 runner in Perk and Griffin avg more per carry than JRob. People complained about the play calling of running Perk in situations but people were not nearly as vocal about changing backs until 2013. Especially with JRob. He really didn't do much until the bowl game against Northwestern. That's what started it for the 2013 season. But during the regular season he did not have all these explosive runs on limited carries. He had a few and also had 3 carries for 3 yards against Middle Tenn. You are letting the 2013 season calls for more JRob bled into 2012 and that didn't happen. Perk with 1,000 and little over 5 ypc, people were not calling to bench him

Except many of us thought Griffin was the best back we had in 2012, if I'm remembering it correctly. Basically, we wanted to see Perk used as a "super athlete" like we're using Dear now.

msstate7
10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Except many of us thought Griffin was the best back we had in 2012, if I'm remembering it correctly. Basically, we wanted to see Perk used as a "super athlete" like we're using Dear now.

And now we want dear as a rb. So the cycle of us state fans goes...

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2015, 10:39 AM
And now we want dear as a rb. So the cycle of us state fans goes...

Haha, indeed. But worth noting, Perk had to bulk up to be the every down RB. Dear is trying to keep wait off to be the super athlete. Two different body types, basically.

Really Clark?
10-12-2015, 11:10 AM

First off, you didn't even mentioned Griffin in responding to Tusk. You said basically it was obvious by mid season of 2012 that JRob was our best back. There was nothing in the games in 2012 that made either one of those RB obviously better than Perk. You want to say some didn't like Perk running up the middle at times. That's fine but nobody was calling for someone else to be our feature back and neither really did much to change anybody's minds. In fact many were worried about is getting blown out by LSU BECAUSE Perk was out. JRob didn't do much that game. Griffin looked a little better. But if you remember correctly Milton actually got more carries early in the year over JRob and Griffin. But Perk was the feature back and nobody was wanting that changed. 2013 yes, 2012 no.

FISHDAWG
10-12-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm saying we should live in reality and understand that ten wins will never be our floor. Nor anyone else's.

totally agree ... since when did we become Bama or LSU ? ..... MULLEN is responsible for these lofty expectations and now his success is the reason folks have unrealistic expectations - it's a damn paradox - too many here are sounding like some other fan bases that we constantly talk about