PDA

View Full Version : Offensive approach

msstate7
10-11-2015, 04:21 PM
It's becoming abundantly clear that we aren't gonna be a good running team this year. Even if we run fairly well vs la tech, what are the chances we can do it vs mizzou, bama, Arkansas, and OM? I say not very good. Bc of this, should we pretty much just eliminate the straight power runs by rb's starting this week? I think we should move to wr screens, rb screens, and option plays. I think on wr screens and option plays, we can move away from oline blocking (weakness) to wr blocking (little stronger here). I just think beating our head against the wall trying to run power is a futile exercise even against la tech. Thoughts?

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Mullen's hard headed ass is looking to run it more. (probably with Shump and Holloway)...

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippistatesports/2015/10/11/mullen-believes-running-game-click-more-plays/73779454/

msstate7
10-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Mullen's hard headed ass is looking to run it more. (probably with Shump and Holloway)...

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippistatesports/2015/10/11/mullen-believes-running-game-click-more-plays/73779454/

I hope this just Mullen talking nonsense. Put LF in our backfield and maybe we can run effectively... Maybe

maroonmania
10-11-2015, 04:48 PM
If we can't run the ball against Troy then we can forget running against LT. LT has a fairly highly ranked FBS rushing defense.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 04:51 PM
We do nothing to help our OL be successful- nothing

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 04:53 PM
We do nothing to help our OL be successful- nothing

+1

From personnel to play calling and scheme....we do nothing to take pressure off of the OL

MetEdDawg
10-11-2015, 04:54 PM
I almost wish our reporters would start asking blatantly condescending questions to Mullen. How important has Shumpert been to the success we've seen in the run game? With all the transition on the OL, how have you been able to find so much success running between the tackles? At just over 8 yards per carry, how great has it been seeing the evolution of Dontavian Lee as a legit every down back in the SEC? You've mentioned the electricity that Dear provides. How important are his 2 touches per game in keeping opposing defenses off balance?

It would make my day if someone had the nuts to buck up and ask something along those lines.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 04:56 PM
I almost wish our reporters would start asking blatantly condescending questions to Mullen. "How important has Shumpert been to the success we've seen in the run game?" " With all the transition on the OL, how have you been able to find so much success running between the tackles?" "At just over 8 yards per carry, how great has it been seeing the evoluation of Dontavian Lee as an every down back?" "You've mentioned the electricity that Dear provides. How important are his 2 touches per game to keeping opposing defenses off balance?"

agreed- good post

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 04:57 PM
I almost wish our reporters would start asking blatantly condescending questions to Mullen. "How important has Shumpert been to the success we've seen in the run game?" " With all the transition on the OL, how have you been able to find so much success running between the tackles?" "At just over 8 yards per carry, how great has it been seeing the evoluation of Dontavian Lee as an every down back?" "You've mentioned the electricity that Dear provides. How important are his 2 touches per game to keeping opposing defenses off balance?"

Haha, I wish you were hired today. Would pay to see someone ask Mullen those questions

msstate7
10-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Since we'll be returning pretty much our entire oline, rb's, and effectively eliminated from the west, I wonder if Mullen is looking towards next season with these statements.

I just don't see how Mullen can watch our tape and see potential to run it on our back half of schedule opponents. He could be looking to looking at building our oline and rb's to be able to get back to power next season. Probably unlikely, but possible

MetEdDawg
10-11-2015, 05:10 PM
In all seriousness, how hard is some of this? You have Lee at 8 YPC. How in the hell does he not at least get 5 carries a game? Is Mullen really going to sit here and say that he doesn't know the playbook well enough play more? Is Mullen not smart enough to tailor our offense to put him in situations he can be successful in? So he can't block. Then don't ask him to block. Not a hard concept. It's not always as simple as this, but when you are virtually starting from scratch with a run game that isn't working, you sometimes have to alter your philosophy and approach to win ball games.