PDA

View Full Version : Memphis cracks polls at 22

starkvegasdawg
10-11-2015, 01:25 PM
Not looking like as easy a pushover for the Bears.

msstate7
10-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Unless Memphis has found a defense, I think OM by 10

ShotgunDawg
10-11-2015, 01:56 PM
This is where polls lose me and I can't figure out what people are ranking.

We'd be favored by double digits against Memphis (I know everyone is convinced we are terrible right now, but in reality we are pretty good on a national scale), but yet Memphis is ranked and we aren't.

Again, what are we ranking?

They also tried to convince me last night that Cal vs Utah was a big game when both teams annually recruit in the 40s.

The way the media covers college football is a scam to create ratings.

Jack Lambert
10-11-2015, 02:13 PM

We'd be favored by double digits against Memphis (I know everyone is convinced we are terrible right now, but in reality we are pretty good on a national scale), but yet Memphis is ranked and we aren't.

They also tried to convince me last night that Cal vs Utah was a big game when both teams annually recruit in the 40s.

Also our two loses are to two top 10 teams. Why no love for that?

Maroonthirteen
10-11-2015, 02:27 PM
We would whip their tail.

What year was it? 2003? They had Williams and Whimprin? They were soooo goood. We were bad. We beat them easily. Jackie got into with Tommy West.

Maroonthirteen
10-11-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm with ya shotgun.

TCU.... Overrated.
Utah. .overrated.

This analyst with their cfp this am...are ridiculous. They are just prentending everyone in the current top 10 still has shot. But it will be OhioSt, SEC (LSU,Bama,ATM) Baylor and Clemson. The media will push for ND if they get by USC.

chef dixon
10-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Who isn't overrated really? It's so easy to sit here each Sunday and state certain teams all the sudden suck. There are a lot of good teams that have to win close games and until they lose you can't take anything away from them.

ScottH
10-11-2015, 03:06 PM
I am concerned Memphis will get blown out.

IMissJack
10-11-2015, 03:32 PM

I agree. I believe the media looks at a team's potential the rest of the year, based on their schedule, rather than ranking teams based on strength. They also want the game with OM to be 2 ranked teams...

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 04:01 PM

Bo, is that you?

You had me until this^

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Bo, is that you?

You had me until this^

Me too.

MrKotter
10-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Memphis has zero chance against om. OM will win by 30

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 04:09 PM

I agree. Ole Miss 48 Mempho 13

msstate7
10-11-2015, 04:09 PM

I doubt that. OM wins, but Memphis will play better than a 30 point defeat

ShotgunDawg
10-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Bo, is that you?

You had me until this^

I hear you

I'm usually on your side with this, but just making the point that two schools that average a 40s recruiting ranking aren't likely national powers

defiantdog
10-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Memphis will have to keep up with OM...... OM may put up 50 on Memphis. I think Memphis will put up its fair share of points as well though.

MrKotter
10-11-2015, 04:30 PM
I doubt that. OM wins, but Memphis will play better than a 30 point defeat

Memphis doesn't have anything close to om in talent. And I'm not hyping om's talent level with that statement. Memphis is vastly overrated. Its going to be an ass kicking. Any SEC school not named Vandy would beat their ass.

Tripp McNeely
10-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Have y'all watched both teams play this year? om is only a 10 point favorite...and that'll narrow prior to kickoff...38-31...and I'm not sure which team is the 38

defiantdog
10-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Have y'all watched both teams play this year? om is only a 10 point favorite...and that'll narrow prior to kickoff...38-31...and I'm not sure which team is the 38

The score will be higher than that. Memphis likes to score, but their defense has a bunch of Deontay Evans playing for them.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 04:50 PM

I've seen Ole Miss beat Bama at Bama, and slaughter a bunch of OOC cupcakes. I've seen Memphis barely beat Cincy in a hyped up home game where Cincy lost their QB early, and Memphis won like 100-99 or whatever it was. You take an Ole Miss offense that abuses OOC teams at an average of about 67 per game, and add that to an OOC team that is considered a small "rival" that is giving up 60 points to teams like Cincinatti......and you get a bloodbath. Ole Miss will name the score against Memphis. Memphis does not have the athletes to guard those receivers for 4 quarters.

Not to mention, Memphis has been talking shit, which is idiotic. I just don't see this one being close at all. And when all of our fans say that it will be close, it makes it look like we're justifying how good Ole Miss is when they beat memphis by 35+. I'd rather look at the talent levels and know that Ole Miss should kill them, and be able to make fun of them if it's close....than to overhype Memphis and make it look like Ole Miss slaughtered a good team. ha

Maroonthirteen
10-11-2015, 05:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, Utah and TCU are good. Both are top 20 teams but I don't believe they are final 4 teams.

One thing is certain, you will hear more and more about expanding the playoff after this season. I think you will see many 1 loss teams left out.

MedDawg
10-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Jack Lambert
10-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Not looking like as easy a pushover for the Bears.

They are over rated but so is the bears. Hell every SEC team in the poll are over rated. OSU is over rated.

TrapGame
10-11-2015, 06:15 PM
We would whip their tail.

What year was it? 2003? They had Williams and Whimprin? They were soooo goood. We were bad. We beat them easily. Jackie got into with Tommy West.

Jackie told Tommy to tell Joe Lee he was glad Joe Lee circled that game on the calendar. Tommy told Jackie he wasn't his effing errand boy. Things fell apart quick after that.

Johnson85
10-12-2015, 09:01 AM
Ole Miss is a front running team this year. They will blow out any team that can't make them pay for not having a running game. We are kind of the same way except our defensive philosophy will allow teams that can hit short and intermediate passes to hold on to the ball a little longer than UM's D will.

jumbo
10-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Memphis will have to play an absolutely perfect game to even have a chance to pull this off. They have the offense to try and keep up, but their defense is atrocious. When they gave up almost 600 yards to Cincinnati's freshman backup QB in 3 quarters, I lost all hope that they could pull the upset.

msstate7
10-12-2015, 09:10 AM
Memphis will have to play an absolutely perfect game to even have a chance to pull this off. They have the offense to try and keep up, but their defense is atrocious. When they gave up almost 600 yards to Cincinnati's freshman backup QB in 3 quarters, I lost all hope that they could pull the upset.

Memphis defense will have to get multiple TOs. If Kelly doesn't turn it over, OM wins easily. Kelly hasn't taken good care of the ball lately though

Bubb Rubb
10-12-2015, 09:12 AM

I do think Mississippi will have their way with Memphis. But I also think it's at least interesting that Memphis had an off week prior to the game. Fuente is one of the best coaches out there, and he's had extra time to scheme out a game plan. That Memphis defense isn't very good, but Mississippi will definitely get Memphis's best shot. I think it will be tight early and the Bears will pull away late...frantically throwing the ball to try to run up the score.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-12-2015, 09:16 AM

I agree with the Ole Miss point total, but I think Memphis will probably put 30 or so on the board.

jumbo
10-12-2015, 09:17 AM

msstate7
10-12-2015, 09:18 AM
I agree with the Ole Miss point total, but I think Memphis will probably put 30 or so on the board.

I think you're closer to the score. For every TO, the gap closes. Memphis needs to win TO by 3 to have a shot IMO

jumbo
10-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Yeah it will be close in the first half, but OM pulls away in the 2nd and wins by 20

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-12-2015, 09:20 AM
I remember those saying a couple weeks ago: "Florida don't have the offense....."

thf24
10-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Memphis defense will have to get multiple TOs. If Kelly doesn't turn it over, OM wins easily. Kelly hasn't taken good care of the ball lately though

This may sound homerish, but I don't think Kelly has taken good care of the ball this whole season... he just got luckier early on. Memphis might have a chance if OM comes in flat as hell and turns it over 4+ times, but I just don't see it. Memphis has an NFL QB and could score 30-40, but their defense isn't much better than those of the teams OM has hung 70 on this year.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2015, 09:22 AM
If Memphis beats Ole Miss in addition to the NCAA stuff...Oxford may burn Saturday night. I'll have a bag of popcorn in the pantry just in case....but I don't plan on having to pop it.

Jarius
10-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Ole Miss has a lot of issues. Memphis would beat Vandy by 2 touchdowns and Vandy took ole miss to the wire. This is the biggest game in Memphis history and they have had 2 weeks to prepare. It will be a really close game. This type of game will show everyone why we should t play teams like Memphis and USM. It will be their super bowl and they will play way above their head. Probably won't win but it will not be a blowout.

BulldogBear
10-12-2015, 09:33 AM

All that and Bears have to foul it up like Tide did. I saw Memphis and Cincinnati when I was in Southaven that week3nd (it was a Thursday night game). I was surprised by fan support. Between them and UMISS stadium will be full. They will come out like the super bowl.

However. They had no running game outside of scrambles by Lynch. He is a great player but he will be running for his life. They will score some points though. Passing game us good. But....

No defense. MGK and Ole Miss receivers will do what they want eventually.

My wife and my Beardshark (best friend since 9th grade) buddy's wife are going to the extroidinary women's conference in Southaven that weekend and taking our daughters. With the game in town, I imagine the boys will find something to do ;)

But I will not have the joy of experiencing the Bears getting upset. Ole Miss 52-27 :(

Nashtgrfan
10-13-2015, 09:59 AM
Ole Miss has a lot of issues. Memphis would beat Vandy by 2 touchdowns and Vandy took ole miss to the wire. This is the biggest game in Memphis history and they have had 2 weeks to prepare. It will be a really close game. This type of game will show everyone why we should t play teams like Memphis and USM. It will be their super bowl and they will play way above their head. Probably won't win but it will not be a blowout.

I have had the privilege of attending both MSU and Memphis, and have followed both schools for many years. That being said, MSU has never been, nor will it likely ever be, Memphis' "super bowl." No rivalry and little interest in even playing. Old Miss is more interesting because of the proximity to Memphis, and the city has many OM alum. However, they are not a "Super Bowl" event either. They are just the highest ranked team Memphis is scheduled to play so far this year. And no, I do not expect a Memphis victory. Defense too young and inexperienced.

dawgs
10-13-2015, 10:07 AM
I agree. I believe the media looks at a team's potential the rest of the year, based on their schedule, rather than ranking teams based on strength. They also want the game with OM to be 2 ranked teams...

Right, the collective AP media is desperate to make sure OM-Memphis is a game between ranked opponents that they got together and collectively decided to rank Memphis. It can't be that Memphis is 5-0 and around this time of the season every year, the non-P5 schools that are still undefeated start creeping into the back end of the polls and tend to stay around there until they lose. Nope, that's not the explanation, it's clearly a big media conspiracy.

dawgs
10-13-2015, 10:11 AM
They are over rated but so is the bears. Hell every SEC team in the poll are over rated. OSU is over rated.

Every year no one deserves to be ranked in the top 5 or top 10. They are all overrated.

Jack Lambert
10-13-2015, 10:32 AM

Mempis is scrappy and ole miss is going to be in a serious dog fight.

HancockCountyDog
10-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Mempis is scrappy and ole miss is going to be in a serious dog fight.

This game will be a 4th quarter game. Anyone that doesn't realize this is undervaluing Memphis and over valuing the bears. Memphis is damn good.

CadaverDawg
10-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Memphis is damn good.

I disagree. But we'll see. I've watched them a lot this year, (Bc their QB is always on my DraftKings roster, ha), and they are a good mid-major type, but they are not "damn good" from a P5 standpoint. Based on what I've seen anyway, but I could definitely be wrong.

Their D is probably not going to even come close to stopping Ole Miss's receivers. And the Memphis O is pretty good, but they still run too much East/West crap, like they did last time they played OM, and it cost them. They will have to commit to a downhill run attack with less slow developing plays, and a ton of passing without turning it over to have a shot. I just don't see it being remotely close, but I'd love to be wrong. Nothing would be sweeter than for OM to be eliminated b4 Tunsil even returns.

BulldogBear
10-13-2015, 10:58 AM
I disagree. But we'll see. I've watched them a lot this year, (Bc their QB is always on my DraftKings roster, ha), and they are a good mid-major type, but they are not "damn good" from a P5 standpoint. Based on what I've seen anyway, but I could definitely be wrong.

Their D is probably not going to even come close to stopping Ole Miss's receivers. And the Memphis O is pretty good, but they still run too much East/West crap, like they did last time they played OM, and it cost them. They will have to commit to a downhill run attack with less slow developing plays, and a ton of passing without turning it over to have a shot. I just don't see it being remotely close, but I'd love to be wrong. Nothing would be sweeter than for OM to be eliminated b4 Tunsil even returns.

This is what I was alluding to in my earlier post in this thread. They'll score a few points but by the late second half, UMiss offense will do what they want. Memphis has no defense.

Sabretooth
10-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Memphis might be a little better than originally believed.

Percho
10-18-2015, 02:33 PM
I would like to know how many posters who posted in this thread feel like I D I O T S?

DownwardDawg
10-18-2015, 02:42 PM
I would like to know how many posters who posted in this thread feel like I D I O T S?

My guess would be...............0.
If that were the case, the entire media would walk around feeling like I D I O T S all day every day.