PDA

View Full Version : Well, O'donnell and Washington decommit

engie
07-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Damn it, Dan...

If ever you were going to kiss ass, that's when you should have done it

Dawg61
07-24-2013, 09:21 PM
You mean the 2016 commits I told you were a gigantic waste of time?

hailmari
07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, at least there's still time..

Coach34
07-24-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm gonna disagree here

If Washington can't handle us offering another RB- he needs to go somewhere else. This is the SEC

mic
07-24-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm gonna disagree here

If Washington can't handle us offering another RB- he needs to go somewhere else. This is the SEC

I agree 110% here.. if that is the reason why then so be it.. You cant have a kid that is going into the 10th grade basically hold us hostage no matter how good he is.. If these kids were all about coming here In 2016 they would have made it to Big Dawg camp last Friday just like J Pollock did who is also apart of that 2016 class..

ShotgunDawg
07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Yea, nothing to see here. No 9th grader knows where they want to go college, and, or at least they shouldn't. Look on the bright side though, apparently there are still good relations between these kids and our staff, so at least we could have a shot at kids we otherwise probably wouldn't have had a shot at.

Its on you if you are upset about this. Waste of time

Irondawg
07-24-2013, 09:35 PM
There is literally no telling what's going on here. Could be a million things. Maybe the kids family got upset about a promise that was made by someone that might or might not still be on staff. Maybe Mullen didn't smooth it over good- maybe that wasn't an option. Maybe he scheduled a trip to Oxford and immeidatelly fell in love with the place and the staff.

But the reality is we shouldn't have taken a commit from a 2016 person anyway. Just looks the kid and family in the eye and tell them you appreciate that they want to come here. You want them here, but they're way too young to make an official decision and too many things can change on both fronts. You'll do all you can to continue to develop the relationship and your door is open any time they want to visit or talk, but for everyone's sake let's not open up the pandora's box of making an official commitment somewhere.

engie
07-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm gonna disagree here

Again -- the kid is as f'n elite as they come. He can get mad for whyever he wants. He had a dozen bcs offers prior to his Soph yr...

He wasn't mad because we offered another Rb -- he was mad because we LIED to him -- and went hard ass instead of fixing the misunderstanding for the 1029462th time in a row. We are SO easy to negative recruit against... Like an insecure mother f'er with a hot ass girlfriend that loves his ass... About the 10th time he flips out on her for no f'n jealous reason, she's going to drop his ass, and his "fears" become a self fulfilling prophecy.

bulldawg28
07-24-2013, 09:47 PM
No one should have taken a 9th grade commit serious. It was a win-win for both parties involved.

Political Hack
07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
From 1 - 14.... where do y'all think we finish in the SEC in recruiting this year?

CadaverDawg
07-24-2013, 09:51 PM
From 1 - 14.... where do y'all think we finish in the SEC in recruiting this year?

Probably near the bottom because we can't sign that many.....so probably 10th or 11th. But that doesn't make me worried about it, because we look to be signing a strong group albeit small.

Dawg61
07-24-2013, 09:52 PM
I hear ya and I laughed at your analogy but he's a 9-10th grade RB. Yea he's elite now but how many 9th grade elite RB are still elite by their jr. & sr. years in college still? That's a whole lot of wear and tear between 6-7 years of playing RB. Now if he turns out to be Reggie Bush it will suck to have lost him but it's way more likely he's not even as productive as Robert Elliot or even Christian Ducre.

DownwardDawg
07-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Shocking!! Never saw that coming**

CadaverDawg
07-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I hear ya and I laughed at your analogy but he's a 9-10th grade RB. Yea he's elite now but how many 9th grade elite RB are still elite by their jr. & sr. years in college still? That's a whole lot of wear and tear between 6-7 years of playing RB. Now if he turns out to be Reggie Bush it will suck to have lost him but it's way more likely he's not even as productive as Robert Elliot or even Christian Ducre.

I see your point, but give me a healthy Robert Elliot and a Christian Ducre every year and I'll be happy. Elliot's injury messed him up for good, and Ducre was solid. But I agree with your overall premise.

However, it pisses me off that we messed this up. I could see them dropping their commitment by their Senior year but it looks bad for them to drop us this early after committing so early. I am liking how we develop players, but our struggles to close high rated guys is pretty concerning at times.

DogBanker
07-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I am going to leave it at this:

I know for a fact Washington was showed the messages of people on SixPack bashing his uncle. That did not sit very well with him. Washington is a talent. Having Eli Johnson in his hear probably didn't help very much either.

I also know that every time something bad happens as far as recruiting is concerned and we start trashing a kid it gets shown to them. Times have changed and kids want to feel the "love" from fans. Rather it be on twitter, etc. I am a student at State so I don't think it is as weird for me to do it as some of you. Hell if Ole Miss and the rest of the SEC is doing why the hell can we not get on the wagon a do it? Oh and on the terms of Ducre. His little cousin is coming out next year. Supposedly the kid is a stud and it is down to us and LSU. Likewise, it's down to us and Florida for Torrey Dale's little cousin.

dawg21
07-24-2013, 10:13 PM
While this is not good news..I sure hope we are not going to start spending lots of time recruiting 8th and 9th graders. It's fun to think about elite kids playing for us 4 years from now, but there's just so much that could happen. Maybe we can patch things up with the two...we may have Brewster back in a few years.

CadaverDawg
07-24-2013, 10:17 PM

I know for a fact Washington was showed the messages of people on SixPack bashing his uncle. That did not sit very well with him. Washington is a talent. Having Eli Johnson in his hear probably didn't help very much either.

I also know that every time something bad happens as far as recruiting is concerned and we start trashing a kid it gets shown to them. Times have changed and kids want to feel the "love" from fans. Rather it be on twitter, etc. I am a student at State so I don't think it is as weird for me to do it as some of you. Hell if Ole Miss and the rest of the SEC is doing why the hell can we not get on the wagon a do it? Oh and on the terms of Ducre. His little cousin is coming out next year. Supposedly the kid is a stud and it is down to us and LSU. Likewise, it's down to us and Florida for Torrey Dale's little cousin.

You should post this on every message board. Our fans have got to learn that recruits read this shit. People can say "what I say on a message board doesn't matter" all they want...but it isn't true always. We are and have always been our own worst enemy as a fan base. Learn to have some self control and shut the **** up instead of saying ANYTHING that could be used against us in recruiting. Because you better believe it will be shown to them.

Dawg61
07-24-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't remember anyone bashing his uncle. Coulda happened but I don't remember it. Care to link that?

DogBanker
07-24-2013, 10:26 PM
I believe the thread was taken down on SixPack but supposedly his "uncle" went on 24/7, it could have very well just been an Ole Miss fan stirring shit up, and started saying how they were made we offered Justin Conner from North Panola, who we offered as a DB actually. It turned into a Washington was afraid of competiton deal. Stupid stuff like that is what kills us.

Political Hack
07-24-2013, 10:31 PM

people don't get it. NO ONE at State gets it. It continually amazes me how the entire MSU culture from joe blow fan, to our big boosters, to our staff, to our compliance department do not understand that everyone has to pull in the same direction on the rope all together. It doesn't work any other way... especially not for a middle of the pack SEC West school that has to split it's small home state with another SEC school.

Internet cool > MSU success for so many of our "fans."

Political Hack
07-24-2013, 10:34 PM
I said "NO ONE," but I do think most on this board get it. This place doesn't seem to pride itself on bashing kids who decide that they like one of the other 100 schools available to them over Miss State. Maybe we'll continue to have enough class to wish them luck and simply cut ties.

CadaverDawg
07-24-2013, 10:41 PM
people don't get it. NO ONE at State gets it. It continually amazes me how the entire MSU culture from joe blow fan, to our big boosters, to our staff, to our compliance department do not understand that everyone has to pull in the same direction on the rope all together. It doesn't work any other way... especially not for a middle of the pack SEC West school that has to split it's small home state with another SEC school.

+1000

Completely 100% agree.

DogBanker
07-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Hack,

I think it is a dang shame you have guys that were running up and down their boards to break news first during the Redmond deal. It's stupid. You think guys at Bama or any other SEC school would try to break something like that just to get site views? Hell no..we are seriously our worst enemy. Just take a look at some of our prospects twitter pages. It amazes me how we lack in this regard. If it was me, I would have every frat penny up to throw one big concert on the biggest recruiting weekend we have. Simple stuff like that needs to start being done for us to start competing at the high level everyone wants us to.

Todd4State
07-24-2013, 10:43 PM
God. Our fans have ZERO insight into the future. NONE. I remember watching Tony Conner as a FRESHMAN at South Panola. I knew he would be a great player then. I've seen Robert Washington and Conner O'Donnell on film and they are going to be good players as well. The kind of players that you want in a program and can elevate it. But no we have fans that act like idiot jackasses because a kid might not be 150% committed and never take another visit anywhere else ever. THAT'S NOT HOW RECRUITING WORKS. "Well, by golly if you don't want to come here we don't want you." I want to get those people a kill yourself now kit. Or at the very least take their Internet access away.

Last year Nkemdiche and pretty much everyone else that Ole Miss got visited other places were rumored to go to other places and all were guys that they had to fight for and work for. Chris Jones visited other places. I can name any damn school- hell Ala****ingbama had kids that visited other schools and had guys that they had to fight for. Did their fans go apeshit? NO. Probably not.

I can't wait to read Rick Cleveland's "What coulda happened if Robert Washington went to State" article about ten years from now after he leads whomever to a National Title.

Todd4State
07-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Hack,

I think it is a dang shame you have guys that were running up and down their boards to break news first during the Redmond deal. It's stupid. You think guys at Bama or any other SEC school would try to break something like that just to get site views? Hell no..we are seriously our worst enemy. Just take a look at some of our prospects twitter pages. It amazes me how we lack in this regard. If it was me, I would have every frat penny up to throw one big concert on the biggest recruiting weekend we have. Simple stuff like that needs to start being done for us to start competing at the high level everyone wants us to.

Scott needs to get control of our message boards yesterday.

Todd4State
07-24-2013, 10:46 PM

Post of the year.

Will James
07-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Being GenesPage regarding discussing games, coaching, etc of on campus activities. Bad.

Going NSA, Gestapo, KGB regarding those not yet here. Necessary. Zero tolerance. Until a kid commits AND signs with another program you keep anything to yourself.

There's a reason I don't follow crootin, I'm too opinionated. So are many others that do speak about crootin. I think crootin is very important, but with no means to 'hepp' there is nothing for me to concern myself on the subject. There is a PM option for you people... Also a chat room. Use it.

Political Hack
07-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Hack,

It's worse than that. We had a Miss St "recruiting analyst" advising an overweight money hungry blackmailing con-man to talk to the press just because the recruiting analyst didn't like me. By the end of that press frenzy I was pretty sure I was a member of the Taliban. That "analyst" would never be allowed on Auburn, Ole Miss's, Bama's, UT's, LSU's, or any other legitimate SEC program's campus again... I can't understand why anyone follows that guy. He rips kids when they "play the game" that he makes his living following. He didn't go to state, graduate from state, own season tickets, donate to the bulldog club, anything... He has ZERO emotional attachment to state and his actions to burn me despite the repercussions to the university are a glaring example of his level of dedication to OUR alma mater.

Dawg61
07-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Got lost here. Who are you talking about?

engie
07-24-2013, 11:21 PM

Nailed it.

In today's world -- if you are talking about someone online in a publicly accessible format, you better damn well be ready for them to get it with google notifications and read it...

This is just example #137482016 of our fans being stupid, unintelligible, and underestimating their personal impact.

Until we fix this basic shit, we don't deserve to be good.

hailmari
07-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Nailed it.

In today's world -- if you are talking about someone online in a publicly accessible format, you better damn well be ready for them to get it with google notifications and read it...

This is just example #137482016 of our fans being stupid, unintelligible, and underestimating their personal impact.

Until we fix this basic shit, we don't deserve to be good.

I completely agree. But how do we fix it? People will post anything because computers make them tough and witty.

I don't visit other teams' boards, so I don't know how common of a problem it is or how they handle it.

Political Hack
07-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Got lost here. Who are you talking about?

nobody from Starkville

TopDog58
07-24-2013, 11:53 PM
The Suxpeckers need to be put out of their misery. That board is garbage. HD6 is the worst.

EnterpriseDawg
07-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Well the uncle did say we were still their number 1 and how he feels they end up signing with us. So, maybe its best for everyone, fans included, to step back and get on the same damn page. At this point, what other choice do we have.

Todd4State
07-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Well the uncle did say we were still their number 1 and how he feels they end up signing with us. So, maybe its best for everyone, fans included, to step back and get on the same damn page. At this point, what other choice do we have.

Yeah- it sounds to me like they all want to get together and clear the air. I think that's probably a good thing.

engie
07-25-2013, 04:03 AM
Yeah- it sounds to me like they all want to get together and clear the air. I think that's probably a good thing.

Yeah good luck with any of this actually happening...Our fans are notorious for flipping the f out and making a self fulfilling prophecy out of what happens next... Hope I'm wrong on this one...

Both guys are ELITE and are the lynchpins to us ever becoming a semi- elite recruiting school. Losing Washington = losing 5-7 4* to 5* athletes from all around the country that are as well-coached and developed as ANYONE you ever see coming out of highschool...

The Croom Diaries
07-25-2013, 06:40 AM
I see a lot of bitching but not a lot of solutions. Unless someone can convince message board moderators, mostly SPS, to delete any threads or posts regarding such bashing of recruits, how do you stop it?

One problem is we have a massively successful FREE board. I don't know about other SEC schools, but OM certainly doesn't have one- nafoom is a joke right?

If we want to play the game we are going to have to get dirty. Like one of these post mentioned, they weren't sure if the uncle was legit or an OM fan. Might be an OM fan because they play hardball. Maybe we should start up some fake accounts and stir their pot.

With regards to Washinton, don't give up yet. Time heals all wounds. 3 years is A LOT of time for anyone, especially when it's 1/5 of someone's current lifespan. How about we focus the energy on getting back in his good graces rather than giving up and pouting.

DiligenceDawg
07-25-2013, 07:22 AM
I wish this was solely an SPS problem but to my knowledge the actual attacking of his uncle was on a pay board.

To any of you still saying that it is the kids problem because he has to be able to accept competition just drop it, that had basically nothing to do with the explosion of BS from our fans.

Here is basically how it went down:

Fans: So why is Robert visiting other places... Let's start 5 threads to get his uncle to answer.

Uncle: Honestly guys he is a little mad over how MSU offered another RB in the class of 2016 after saying they wouldn't so he knows he has to keep a good rep with other staffs. No worries though he is still all Dawg and recruiting people everywhere he goes.

Actual Fans: Oh that other 2016 offer? No worries that kid is a db just happens to be listed at rb (insert list of other RB recruits now playing other positions for us) Sorry about the confusion make sure he talks this through with the coaches for sure!

Message board heroes: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WHAT A JOKE! HOW STUPID IS HE TO NOT STOP LOOKING AROUND JUST BECAUSE HE ISN'T THE ONLY KID WE RECRUIT. HE MUST SUCK. ALSO- WHO THE HELL ARE YOU? JUST SOME "UNCLE" AFTER A QUICK HAND OUT HUH?!?!

Uncle: Guys... I just said he was a little upset calm down... Our family is still all Dawg and my elite son in the class after Robert is likely going to commit at the first MSU home game in the fall. We love it at MSU.

Message board heroes: Why are we even wasting time with this family of recruits that is scared of competition? What a waste. I wish we'd recruit better. Anyone know why the staff can't recruit better than kids with "uncles" trying to shop kids around?

That's pretty much how it went and it was effin ridiculous.

Quaoarsking
07-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Perhaps all the message board owners could come to an agreement to ban posters who are causing trouble for MSU recruitment.

FlabLoser
07-25-2013, 07:27 AM
I see a lot of bitching but not a lot of solutions. Unless someone can convince message board moderators, mostly SPS, to delete any threads or posts regarding such bashing of recruits, how do you stop it?

One problem is we have a massively successful FREE board. I don't know about other SEC schools, but OM certainly doesn't have one- nafoom is a joke right?

If we want to play the game we are going to have to get dirty. Like one of these post mentioned, they weren't sure if the uncle was legit or an OM fan. Might be an OM fan because they play hardball. Maybe we should start up some fake accounts and stir their pot.

With regards to Washinton, don't give up yet. Time heals all wounds. 3 years is A LOT of time for anyone, especially when it's 1/5 of someone's current lifespan. How about we focus the energy on getting back in his good graces rather than giving up and pouting.

Yep. Keep grindin everybody!

Hump4Hoops
07-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Suxpeckers
Really?

FlabLoser
07-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Which pay board had the trouble? I've never been on Gene's page, but I gather that he has no problem deleting stuff. 247? Rivals?

Perhaps all the message board owners could come to an agreement to ban posters who are causing trouble for MSU recruitment.

Yeah, we gotta do something. We need to drop the past, show each other some respect, and pull the rope together.

J-Dawg
07-25-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm gonna disagree here

Agreed. And if any other school is feeding him the crap that he'll be the only RB they offer, then they are straight up lying to his face as well and he is going to be very disappointed. We all know that's probably not the real reason, though. Welcome to the big time, kid.

C222
07-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Which pay board had the trouble? I've never been on Gene's page, but I gather that he has no problem deleting stuff. 247? Rivals?

Yeah, we gotta do something. We need to drop the past, show each other some respect, and pull the rope together.

24/7

DogBanker
07-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Again, the guy isn't scared of competition. He wants to go to the same school as Moe Neal, who is another 5 star talent. It made him mad that people on 24/7 started trashing his 'uncle'. That crap isn't necessary.

FISHDAWG
07-25-2013, 08:55 AM
^^^ spot on ^^^ the thing is even if they don't visit a message board themselves, bears that lurk on our boards are more than happy to copy & paste from our boards and tweet them to a recruit .... the bears have been doing this for years - ie. CJ Johnson & company

FISHDAWG
07-25-2013, 09:06 AM
With regards to Washinton, don't give up yet. Time heals all wounds. 3 years is A LOT of time for anyone, especially when it's 1/5 of someone's current lifespan. How about we focus the energy on getting back in his good graces rather than giving up and pouting.[/QUOTE]

good point - for the next three years these guys will still look to see our scores or watch our games whereas if we never offered they may have NEVER given us a consideration or another passing thought - how bad can that be ??

Vandownbytheriver
07-25-2013, 09:07 AM
I've never defended our staff before, but in this situation they did nothing wrong. Brewster is the one who promised Washington we wouldn't offer anyone else. We all see how faithful that jackass was. Washington is an elite talent, but the same people bitching now that we offered someone else and pissed this kid off would be ready to behead Mullen if the kid changed is mind near signing day 2016 and we were left without a backup plan.

Goat Holder
07-25-2013, 09:56 AM
You have it wrong, here. There was nothing insecure about this.

We all told you they weren't going to stick, but you have some sort of weird fascination about these two KIDS.

bulldawg28
07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
We'll be fine whether he comes to State or not.Courting someone 4 years is way too long for any school. And blaming other message boards is useless. The recruiting game is nasty,dirty,and for the strong. If Dan keeps building like he is we'll be fine. Scott Field or DWS rocking at night with the rowdy fans and cowbells ringing is easy to sell a recruit on. This new stadium with sold out crowds will do wonders for us. I wish we played all our games at night, nothing like it.

CadaverDawg
07-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I wish this was solely an SPS problem but to my knowledge the actual attacking of his uncle was on a pay board.

To any of you still saying that it is the kids problem because he has to be able to accept competition just drop it, that had basically nothing to do with the explosion of BS from our fans.

Here is basically how it went down:

Fans: So why is Robert visiting other places... Let's start 5 threads to get his uncle to answer.

Uncle: Honestly guys he is a little mad over how MSU offered another RB in the class of 2016 after saying they wouldn't so he knows he has to keep a good rep with other staffs. No worries though he is still all Dawg and recruiting people everywhere he goes.

Actual Fans: Oh that other 2016 offer? No worries that kid is a db just happens to be listed at rb (insert list of other RB recruits now playing other positions for us) Sorry about the confusion make sure he talks this through with the coaches for sure!

Message board heroes: ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WHAT A JOKE! HOW STUPID IS HE TO NOT STOP LOOKING AROUND JUST BECAUSE HE ISN'T THE ONLY KID WE RECRUIT. HE MUST SUCK. ALSO- WHO THE HELL ARE YOU? JUST SOME "UNCLE" AFTER A QUICK HAND OUT HUH?!?!

Uncle: Guys... I just said he was a little upset calm down... Our family is still all Dawg and my elite son in the class after Robert is likely going to commit at the first MSU home game in the fall. We love it at MSU.

Message board heroes: Why are we even wasting time with this family of recruits that is scared of competition? What a waste. I wish we'd recruit better. Anyone know why the staff can't recruit better than kids with "uncles" trying to shop kids around?

That's pretty much how it went and it was effin ridiculous.

This^^ is the way it happens EVERY time.

And not to offend anyone, but if you disagree and think the kid needs to "get over it", well start a chat about it or better yet keep that shit to yourself, because saying it doesn't help us. So feel free to disagree, just don't do it publicly if you want our recruiting to improve.

That's just the way it works now days....especially when you have a group of fans as close as Oxford trying to tear us down 365 days a year.

SnakePlissken
07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I've never defended our staff before, but in this situation they did nothing wrong. Brewster is the one who promised Washington we wouldn't offer anyone else. We all see how faithful that jackass was. +1 Farley. This is exactly what happened with Brewster and Washington.

MSUDawg4Life
07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
+1 Farley. This is exactly what happened with Brewster and Washington.

When those kids first committed, I thought they were being used by Brewster to insure him a little job security. Then he left town on the first thing smoking. I doubted Brewster would be around that long and knew it would be tough to hold those kids without him. Sure, I would like to see the kids on the team, but I think we were all used by Brewster. Sad to see fifteen year olds have to go through that.

FISHDAWG
07-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Brewster might be more behind this than the message boards ... never know sometimes

Coach34
07-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Brewster might be more behind this than the message boards ... never know sometimes

exactly- dont think for a second that Brewster isnt still recruiting them

DiligenceDawg
07-25-2013, 12:17 PM
To be clear I think the message board had very little to do with the decommitment.

but treating people we need on our side that poorly is absolutely going to keep us on the outside looking in.

I don't think we are remotely giving up on them or them us either to be fair. we'll be in their top 3 or 4 at least with a shot at getting them.

Now if the nephew doesn't commit in the fall I am much more likely to believe the message board is part of it.

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM
I just can't get worked up over a f'n 2016 kid. If his 'crootin' experience already causes this much drama, it'll be f'n epic the drama he creates in '16. Some people just love having their knickers in a twist all the time and thrive off creating drama.

The Croom Diaries
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM
If you really think about all of this it is so silly for us grown men to care what these 15 year old boys are going to do. There are some things we can improve on - and really we should probably all take a piece of advice from Will in that discussing recruiting rumors should be kept at a minimum because they really don't do much good. I understand talking about the 2014 class, but three years down the road so much can happen between now and then it's just silly. A commitment from a 15 year old no matter who it is really doesn't hold much water. When I was 15 I couldn't see past what I was doing that very day, and certainly nothing past the weekend. Let's not get our panties in a wad. Try to keep it positive about recruiting when discussing it in a public forum, and throw some jabs at OM whenever necessary.

eta: Mullen and Co. seem to keep things pretty quiet. They don't let the cat out of the bag too often. Maybe before we go running him or other people down the road, maybe there is a plan or a set course of action for what he is doing. I hear he is a very organized and well-thought out kind of guy. Maybe he told these guys if they want to commit then commit and stick to it, if they want to look around talk with other schools that's fine, but we can't consider you a commit. So he "decommitted".

DiligenceDawg
07-25-2013, 12:30 PM
putting our best foot forward should be the norm regardless of what class a kid is in.

Todd4State
07-25-2013, 12:30 PM
I just can't get worked up over a f'n 2016 kid. If his 'crootin' experience already causes this much drama, it'll be f'n epic the drama he creates in '16. Some people just love having their knickers in a twist all the time and thrive off creating drama.

If you recruit talent you are going to have some degree of drama. Anything worth having is worth working for. It's either drama with 4-5 star kids or no drama and bitching about 2-3 star guys that no one wants. Overgeneralization, sure but I think you get the point.

Look at Nkemdiche last year- he was committed to Clemson for a time but the whole time I think most people at least felt like there was a chance he would go to Ole Miss.

We just have to be able to roll with the punches and not act like insecure pussies.

Todd4State
07-25-2013, 12:31 PM
putting our best foot forward should be the norm regardless of what class a kid is in.

A lot of people lose sight of this.

maroonmania
07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I've never defended our staff before, but in this situation they did nothing wrong. Brewster is the one who promised Washington we wouldn't offer anyone else. We all see how faithful that jackass was. Washington is an elite talent, but the same people bitching now that we offered someone else and pissed this kid off would be ready to behead Mullen if the kid changed is mind near signing day 2016 and we were left without a backup plan.

Well if our staff really thought this kid was going to be super elite then they would not offer another RB. At least not anytime soon especially if they thought it might upset the apple cart with Washington. If not offering another RB is what it takes to get a 5* type back then that's what you do when you are MSU. Heck, take 2 the year before and 2 the year after, its not that difficult. Its pretty obvious if you are paying attention that our coaching staff and our fanbase overall stink at the recruiting game. But it didn't take us losing these 2 guys for me to see that. And I like Mullen but he will NEVER have an elite recruiting staff nor will he ever recruit at an elite level, I've just come to accept that. I actually thought recruiting would really pick up with the consecutive sellouts, bowl games, facility upgrades and stadium expansion but we are still near the bottom of the SEC in recruiting rankings. However we are getting enough talent to compete so Mullen can make up for some of the recruiting deficiency with player development. I do believe though that double digit win seasons will not be possible except on maybe a fluke if we can't get a few more elite players to sign. Its those upper tier players that make the difference between 7-9 win teams and 10-12 win teams. Thank goodness last year we hooked onto Chris Jones before anyone else knew who he was but that is a VERY rare situation.

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2013, 01:14 PM
If you recruit talent you are going to have some degree of drama. Anything worth having is worth working for. It's either drama with 4-5 star kids or no drama and bitching about 2-3 star guys that no one wants. Overgeneralization, sure but I think you get the point.

Look at Nkemdiche last year- he was committed to Clemson for a time but the whole time I think most people at least felt like there was a chance he would go to Ole Miss.

We just have to be able to roll with the punches and not act like insecure pussies.

The big difference: Kimdeechee was a senior. This kid is a f'n sophomore. He probably can't even drive yet. I expect bullshit recruiting drama from seniors. But my "don't give a damn" kicks in when the kid is still 3 damn years from being a senior. Sure, it may work out. Or he may go somewhere else. Hopefully, he chooses to stick with us. But I could not hear his name aGAIN until '16 and be just fine. I'd rather ignore it for 3 years.

Honestly, I used to really enjoy following 'crootin. But what it's become the last few years especially is a twisted joke. I pretty much hate it now. I'll always love football, but you're starting to see more and more of the basketball mentality creep into it, particularly in the recruiting process.

FISHDAWG
07-25-2013, 01:16 PM
recruiting is evolving ... now it takes more than pretty wrapping paper ... if we don't evolve with it nothing will ever change

HancockCountyDog
07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
The big difference: Kimdeechee was a senior. This kid is a f'n sophomore. He probably can't even drive yet. I expect bullshit recruiting drama from seniors. But my "don't give a damn" kicks in when the kid is still 3 damn years from being a senior. Sure, it may work out. Or he may go somewhere else. Hopefully, he chooses to stick with us. But I could not hear his name aGAIN until '16 and be just fine. I'd rather ignore it for 3 years.

Honestly, I used to really enjoy following 'crootin. But what it's become the last few years especially is a twisted joke. I pretty much hate it now. I'll always love football, but you're starting to see more and more of the basketball mentality creep into it, particularly in the recruiting process.

Yeah these 7 on 7 camps and the ESPN camps are going to become more and more prevalent and its going to get earlier and earlier on recruiting.

I know that we are offering sophomores left and right it seems, and 10 years ago it was a big deal if we offered a junior before their season. Now, it seems we have probably offered 50-100 juniors already.

MSUDawg4Life
07-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Some of us need to start following our mother's advice. "If you don't have anything nice to say ...."

However, too many of us have that SPS mentality. Attempting to be cool by tearing down and trashing your own. That's a sad place for a so-called fan to be.

War Machine Dawg
07-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah these 7 on 7 camps and the ESPN camps are going to become more and more prevalent and its going to get earlier and earlier on recruiting.

I know that we are offering sophomores left and right it seems, and 10 years ago it was a big deal if we offered a junior before their season. Now, it seems we have probably offered 50-100 juniors already.

It's more than that. It's the all about "me" and "I" culture that's creeping into it. Do you know how many times Lebron James used the word "we" in his NBA Finals Championship speech? None. Do you know how many times he said "I"? 18 Do you know how many times Jonathan Toews said "we" after winning the Stanley Cup? 14. Said "I?" None. Now I know I'm in the minority, but I'd a hell of a lot rather watch the NHL than the NBA. They understand "team" and you don't get the bullshit primadonna attitudes that are invading the rest of sports.

Todd4State
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM

Actually, Nkemdiche was a known player well before his junior year. See why Ole Miss signed his brother and took that gamble.

FlabLoser
07-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Wasn't little Kim signed in the summer after signing day? It is nuts that everybody else was asleep on him.

Alphadog
07-25-2013, 05:03 PM
I love how we are complaining about the "drama" but it is the posters on the message boards causing the drama. If the kid wants to come to State. Then he will come. If he wants to go somewhere else, then he will go somewhere else. There is no drama in that at all. It is a decision for him and his family to make. It is our choice the turn it into drama because we hang on every decision these kids make like a damn soap opera.
With that being said, I enjoy opening a message board and seeing that a player has committed to State. I enjoy reading the "expert analysis" on these players. What I don't understand is the "drama" that we (posters) create. Its not the kid creating the drama, all he did was change his mind. Everyone of us change our minds all of the time. It is the message boards that turn it into a huge ordeal.
Of course, this is all just my opinion. I hope my kid receives an academic scholarship and just goes to school like a normal student. I would hate to get on here in 5 years and read how much he sucks if he chose to go somewhere beside State.

Alphadog
07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
I love how we are complaining about the "drama" but it is the posters on the message boards causing the drama. If the kid wants to come to State. Then he will come. If he wants to go somewhere else, then he will go somewhere else. There is no drama in that at all. It is a decision for him and his family to make. It is our choice the turn it into drama because we hang on every decision these kids make like a damn soap opera.
With that being said, I enjoy opening a message board and seeing that a player has committed to State. I enjoy reading the "expert analysis" on these players. What I don't understand is the "drama" that we (posters) create. Its not the kid creating the drama, all he did was change his mind. Everyone of us change our minds all of the time. It is the message boards that turn it into a huge ordeal.
Of course, this is all just my opinion. I hope my kid receives an academic scholarship and just goes to school like a normal student. I would hate to get on here in 5 years and read how much he sucks if he chose to go somewhere beside State.

OK I rambled too much. Let me clarify. I haven't seen the drama associated with these kids that surrounded some recruits in the past (Robert Kim). Sure it would have been great if they stuck with their original committment and left it at that. That would have been 0 drama. But everyone knew that was not likely since they committed so young. What I meant is that their recruitment has not been a circus show. It could turn into that or it could not. So far, I have no problem with the way these 2 have conducted themselves. They have not used their stardom to get all of their friends schollys (looking at you Robert Kim). Their fathers have not been offered employment by certain schools (still looking at you Robert K). All they did was change their minds.
That being said, I am not on twitter so I don't know if they are putting things out on twitter or other social media that totally ****s my whole argument up

coachcamp
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Fella's I dont mean to bud in but, as a recruits father. It does leave a BAD taste in your mouth when you read blogs and your kid is getting dogged out on it. To be totally honest, I didnt even go and visit Virginia, South Carolina and a few other schools because of what was said on blogs. VANDERBILT was dogging Elijah out on their blogs. That left a bitter taste in my mouth. I didnt want him up there. It was very refreshing when I got on the blog with you guys and you all asked question and got to know your recruit. I did see a few negative comments, but it was many more positive than negative. Now, I dont mind the critics. But its the bashing that makes you wanna de commit.

Coach34
07-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Fella's I dont mean to bud in but, as a recruits father. It does leave a BAD taste in your mouth when you read blogs and your kid is getting dogged out on it. To be totally honest, I didnt even go and visit Virginia, South Carolina and a few other schools because of what was said on blogs. VANDERBILT was dogging Elijah out on their blogs. That left a bitter taste in my mouth. I didnt want him up there. It was very refreshing when I got on the blog with you guys and you all asked question and got to know your recruit. I did see a few negative comments, but it was many more positive than negative. Now, I dont mind the critics. But its the bashing that makes you wanna de commit.

No- glad you posted. Your perspective is exactly what the thread needed

Todd4State
07-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Wasn't little Kim signed in the summer after signing day? It is nuts that everybody else was asleep on him.

I think you are correct about him being signed in the summer. But he was in the 2011 class which meant that Ole Miss knew about Nkemdiche as a sophomore in HS at the very latest.

Todd4State
07-25-2013, 08:29 PM

I think it's going to take posters like you and the Washington's for people to understand that bashing a recruit hurts a program with that player.

AlSwearengen
07-25-2013, 08:30 PM
thanks for the insight coachcamp. I may be wrong, but I think a big part of our problem is the whole persona that the six-pack has as a board. That board started because a group of guys wanted to bitch freely and gene wouldn't allow it. The vast majority of the people that post there take on that mentality and it turns into a competition over who can be the biggest bitcher. Many of them have probably never played an organized sport and have no understanding of football, baseball, or basketball which makes the situation worse. I used to really enjoy that board outside of the constant complaining because it had other good qualities, but the negatives are outweighing the positives at this point.

Political Hack
07-25-2013, 08:32 PM

ed zachery. I pray to high heaven that every Miss St sports fan reads and understands your post. thanks you for bringing a real life and honest perspective to this ongoing debate that's lasted at least 10 years within the Miss St fan base.

Just in case anyone missed it... POSTS ON MESSAGE BOARDS DO MATTER. If you don't believe me, ask Elijah's father.

CadaverDawg
07-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Looks like this settles it then. Thank you Coach. Maybe you should post this on the other MSU boards for us so they will listen.

Todd4State
07-25-2013, 08:45 PM
thanks for the insight coachcamp. I may be wrong, but I think a big part of our problem is the whole persona that the six-pack has as a board. That board started because a group of guys wanted to bitch freely and gene wouldn't allow it. The vast majority of the people that post there take on that mentality and it turns into a competition over who can be the biggest bitcher. Many of them have probably never played an organized sport and have no understanding of football, baseball, or basketball which makes the situation worse. I used to really enjoy that board outside of the constant complaining because it had other good qualities, but the negatives are outweighing the positives at this point.

That board was also started in a totally different era as far as social media. Facebook, twitter, etc. all of that stuff was in it's infancy or didn't even exist when sixpack started. And with that, college football recruiting has changed a lot too.

It's not just a sixpack exclusive problem though- Paul also really needs to take a look at how he polices his board. He doesn't allow personal insults, unless you're one of a select few posters who apparently have a longer leash than others- but he also in my opinion should consider people bashing recruits as "personal insults" too- even though the recruit may not actually post on his board.

EnterpriseDawg
07-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Just watched your son's highlights the other day. He's gonna look mighty good wearing that maroon and white. Those shoes he wore at BDC were mighty flashy too....lol. Thanks for the opportunity to share the ride with you and your son. As mention before, it is a eye opener to see recruiting from a different angle.

Dallas_Dawg
07-25-2013, 08:52 PM
I really appreciate your insight and can't wait to see what Elijah can do in mullen's system. I read an article on him today, and he seems like a fine young man who is ready to come in and help out on the gridiron and the court.
However, these message boards are full of fans from opposing schools posing to be MsU fans that have nothing better to do than sabotage our school. It sounds crazy, but these Internet nerds do exist.

AlSwearengen
07-25-2013, 09:04 PM

Little kim wasn't expected to qualify if I remember correctly. It was olemiss and georgia on him and once he qualified, nutt convinced him that olemiss wanted him and didn't care about his brother. I remember denzel making comments in the paper about georgia only wanting him to get his brother. Georgia was pissed off back then when olemiss got denzel.

CadaverDawg
07-25-2013, 09:09 PM
It's now posted on SPS...but someone else will have to do it on Genespage if y'all want to. Sounds like someone needs to post it on 24/7 based on the events that started this thread. I don't have accounts with Jean or 24/7 though, so someone else will have to handle it.

Coach34
07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
It's now posted on SPS...but someone else will have to do it on Genespage if y'all want to. Sounds like someone needs to post it on 24/7 based on the events that started this thread. I don't have accounts with Jean or 24/7 though, so someone else will have to handle it.

already got it to 247

CadaverDawg
07-25-2013, 09:20 PM
already got it to 247

Nice. And thanks again coachcamp

AlSwearengen
07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
This board continues to get better and is getting things done. And a huge thanks to Elijah's dad.

drunkernhelldawg
07-25-2013, 10:15 PM

Nail on the head.

TopDog58
07-25-2013, 10:15 PM
They aren't going to listen. Look at the responses you got. KurtRambis, HD6, D@A and the rest of those tools are never wrong. **** them and that shitty board.

hacker
07-25-2013, 10:54 PM
heh -- after reading that thread on SPS, I can't believe I used to post there. Full of self-absorbed, self-important assholes.

officially done with that embarrassing board.

coachcamp
07-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Nice. And thanks again coachcamp

Anytime my friend! #Hailstate

coachcamp
07-25-2013, 11:01 PM
I will spread the word to the other recruits.. In the meantime, me and my son are down here working , so he'll be ready to perform when he gets Miss St!
If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask..

coachcamp
07-25-2013, 11:25 PM
@Enterprisedawg... Thanks. we cant wait eirher..
Elijah is very outgoing & he loves to be different. I dont mind as long as he performs.. lol

FlabLoser
07-25-2013, 11:33 PM
His commit announcement with a Vine on Twitter was unique. Gonna be fun to see what he comes up with in college. He might find a way to put in his own helmet cam. LOL

CadaverDawg
07-26-2013, 12:00 AM
I will spread the word to the other recruits.. In the meantime, me and my son are down here working , so he'll be ready to perform when he gets Miss St!
If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask..

Sounds great, Coach. Thanks again for your insight over here. Hopefully Elijah can help bring in some more studs to join him. Can't wait to watch him in action.

CadaverDawg
07-26-2013, 12:04 AM
They aren't going to listen. Look at the responses you got. KurtRambis, HD6, D@A and the rest of those tools are never wrong. **** them and that shitty board.

Yea, it's a shame. I was really hoping to try and unite MSU fans and not make it about boards, but they couldn't help but turn it into SPS vs ED (Goat didn't help that! But at least he was fighting the good fight). The fact that they actually joined in wi those douchebag Rebels and defended the opposite side of the main issue, was both embarrassing and sad. Some of them would rather look cool than pull in the same direction.

Oh well, I tried. Maybe some of the readers over there that didn't post saw the reality of the point we were making, and it will help a little. Those Rebel trolls over there are playing SPS for all it's worth though...and the mods don't even see it. I don't get it.

The Croom Diaries
07-26-2013, 06:05 AM
Yea, it's a shame. I was really hoping to try and unite MSU fans and not make it about boards, but they couldn't help but turn it into SPS vs ED (Goat didn't help that! But at least he was fighting the good fight). The fact that they actually joined in wi those douchebag Rebels and defended the opposite side of the main issue, was both embarrassing and sad. Some of them would rather look cool than pull in the same direction.

Oh well, I tried. Maybe some of the readers over there that didn't post saw the reality of the point we were making, and it will help a little. Those Rebel trolls over there are playing SPS for all it's worth though...and the mods don't even see it. I don't get it.

I think there are two distinct types of MSU fan under 35-40 years old: those they want to make jokes and play, and those who take it more seriously. When you see comments like 'SPS is better since EliteDawgs was formed" or "some of the funniest stuff I've read" etc. it really hammers that point home. EliteDawgs has serious/in-depth conversations about State and most think alike with regards to the athletic program. SPS has a bunch of folks that like to play games. More and more of the in-depth people will come over here and comment or just read. Unfortunately I think there are more people in the 'I like funny stuff' camp than the serious camp. When we post a funny satire story on FWtCT it gets 4-5,000 page views. When I spend 3 hours breaking down a topic it gets 1-2,000. Maybe that's because State fans like to laugh so they continue being a fan and being sane. I like to laugh too but I much more prefer in-depth discussion. That's why this board is great, and that's what will get MSU to the next level once we are (mostly) all on the same page.

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2013, 07:25 AM
coachcamp - As a Marietta High School alum, I'll be doing something I've never done this fall - rooting for Wheeler and Elijah to have a big season. I miss that rivalry game between MHS and Wheeler that used to always decide the region. Elijah is one of the best QB I've seen in Cobb Co. since Eric Zeir was airing it out for MHS in the early 1990s. Go Dawgs and Go Wildcats!

FlabLoser
07-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Are Wheeler games streamed on the internet? I'd like to look in on a few.

The Croom Diaries
07-26-2013, 07:49 AM
coachcamp - As a Marietta High School alum, I'll be doing something I've never done this fall - rooting for Wheeler and Elijah to have a big season. I miss that rivalry game between MHS and Wheeler that used to always decide the region. Elijah is one of the best QB I've seen in Cobb Co. since Eric Zeir was airing it out for MHS in the early 1990s. Go Dawgs and Go Wildcats!

Hey I'm a Walton High School alum so it's really gonna be hard for me, ha. That was an intense rivalry when I was in school in football and basketball. But I'll root for em this year and be sure to catch some Wheeler games. I know Elijah will do better than Evan Mitchell did, ha.

Pollodawg
07-26-2013, 08:19 AM
As some of you can remember, I wasn't as high on Elijah when he first signed on with us. But I'm happy to say I've changed my stance after watching some more of his highlights. The clay is there for Mullen to make a monster with.

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Hey I'm a Walton High School alum so it's really gonna be hard for me, ha. That was an intense rivalry when I was in school in football and basketball. But I'll root for em this year and be sure to catch some Wheeler games. I know Elijah will do better than Evan Mitchell did, ha.

At least we aren't talking about having to root for Sprayberry - that would be impossible to stomach!! All four of those schools (MHS, WHS, Walton, & SHS) in 90-91 (my Jr. & Sr. year) were always intense in the big 3 sports. It was a hellava lot of fun.

FISHDAWG
07-26-2013, 08:42 AM
His commit announcement with a Vine on Twitter was unique. Gonna be fun to see what he comes up with in college. He might find a way to put in his own helmet cam. LOL

^^^ Elijah has the opportunity to promote and recruit for us and he appears to be doing a pretty good job of it ... I also loved the way he committed on Vine, it's just a little harder on us 50 yr old types who have see so many other recruits flip over the years to go through that hold-your-breath thing ... but this time it was pretty cool

PMDawg
07-26-2013, 08:52 AM
I think there are two distinct types of MSU fan under 35-40 years old: those they want to make jokes and play, and those who take it more seriously. When you see comments like 'SPS is better since EliteDawgs was formed" or "some of the funniest stuff I've read" etc. it really hammers that point home. EliteDawgs has serious/in-depth conversations about State and most think alike with regards to the athletic program. SPS has a bunch of folks that like to play games. More and more of the in-depth people will come over here and comment or just read. Unfortunately I think there are more people in the 'I like funny stuff' camp than the serious camp. When we post a funny satire story on FWtCT it gets 4-5,000 page views. When I spend 3 hours breaking down a topic it gets 1-2,000. Maybe that's because State fans like to laugh so they continue being a fan and being sane. I like to laugh too but I much more prefer in-depth discussion. That's why this board is great, and that's what will get MSU to the next level once we are (mostly) all on the same page.

as a 33 year old, i resent that remark! jk

coachcamp
07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Brunswickdawg I dont know if you know this but, we have plenty of ties with marietta! Elijah was a ball boy on that team with Pat jr & Chris Ellis! Didnt know it was some Cobb County faithfuls on this blog! Thats sweet!!

BrunswickDawg
07-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Brunswickdawg I dont know if you know this but, we have plenty of ties with marietta! Elijah was a ball boy on that team with Pat jr & Chris Ellis! Didnt know it was some Cobb County faithfuls on this blog! Thats sweet!!

That is cool Coach! I never got to see the Pat Jr. team b/c I had already moved down to Coastal GA. Coach Hood always had a great program. Wish Elijah was playing for my Blue Devils - but we can root for him anyway!