PDA

View Full Version : Defense had 15 tackles for loss

Dawg61
10-11-2015, 07:49 AM
That has got to be a record for MSU right?

msstate7
10-11-2015, 07:53 AM
The first half performance by our defense was as dominant as I've seen is in a long time. They slacked up at halftime, but up 38-0 and playing young guys makes it hard to stay focused

Dawg61
10-11-2015, 07:57 AM
The first half performance by our defense was as dominant as I've seen is in a long time. They slacked up at halftime, but up 38-0 and playing young guys makes it hard to stay focused

Yea at half Troy had -20 rushing and we had 9 tfl I think. Jefferson and Ryan Brown destroyed Troy.

msstate7
10-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Yea at half Troy had -20 rushing and we had 9 tfl I think. Jefferson and Ryan Brown destroyed Troy.

Nice to see Ryan brown join the party. Jefferson has been great all year.

Anyone know if AJ is a threat to leave? I really hope not bc he could be special for us next season

Dawgfan77
10-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Is it just me or is Calvin out playing brown this year??

Dawg61
10-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Nice to see Ryan brown join the party. Jefferson has been great all year.

Anyone know if AJ is a threat to leave? I really hope not bc he could be special for us next season

He's a lock for the first 3 rounds so yea he's gotta be a threat to leave. He's going to be first team All-SEC with Garrett. Can't hide that from scouts.

msstate7
10-11-2015, 08:11 AM
He's a lock for the first 3 rounds so yea he's gotta be a threat to leave. He's going to be first team All-SEC with Garrett. Can't hide that from scouts.

I wonder what his real height is. Is he truly 6'3"? If he is, he's fine. If he's shorter than that, nfl might not be that high on him

MetEdDawg
10-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Interesting defensive stat comparisons to last year. Sacks and TFL are on virtually the same pace. But look at the places where defense truly matters.

Last year in 13 games we gave up 5517 yards. This year through 6 games only 2,166 yards given up. That's on pace for a little over 800 yards fewer given up this year. Then look at the fact that teams are 6-19 in red zone TD conversions and converting only 30% of their 3rd downs on us (#25 in the nation). We are also #24 in scoring defense (ahead of OM and LSU). We are back on our way to having a defense that just doesn't give up a ton of big plays, points, or big 3rd down plays. 30 points to TAMU wasn't great. But 21 to LSU (they've scored 34, 44, 45, and 45 in their other 4 games), 9 to Auburn (their lowest output of the season), 16 to USM (they only scored 10 against Marshall but scored 49 or more in 3 of their other 4 games), 17 to Troy, 13 to NW St. That's pretty darn good right now.

Defense is where it needs to be and is going to keep us in games unlike last year. If the offense can match what they are doing. We've got a chance to end the year on a very high note.

Sacrifice
10-11-2015, 09:33 AM
It looks like Manny is getting used to his players. He's been a lot more aggressive the last 2 1/2 games.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 09:43 AM
It looks like Manny is getting used to his players. He's been a lot more aggressive the last 2 1/2 games.

Good point. I hope it continues. We still can't blitz every play or they start adjusting (like the bubble screen yesterday), but mixing up blitzes, and coming frequently will always keep teams guessing. I'm hopeful that we see a lot more heat, especially against rookie QB's like Locke, Kelly, and even Coker.

shoeless joe
10-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Good point. I hope it continues. We still can't blitz every play or they start adjusting (like the bubble screen yesterday), but mixing up blitzes, and coming frequently will always keep teams guessing. I'm hopeful that we see a lot more heat, especially against rookie QB's like Locke, Kelly, and even Coker.

It's so much easier to blitz when the back end is able to do it's job.

defiantdog
10-11-2015, 09:59 AM

Chris Jones didn't play at all in the second half either. Hopefully Big Cory Thomas and Braxton Hoyett get it together next year, because it's a pretty damn big drop off from C Jones to them right now.

tcdog70
10-11-2015, 10:08 AM
The reason Troy had some success is we played everybody in uniform. Also Troy finally put the ex Scooba QB Pruitt in the game and He had some luck, he is very quick. Green, Bryant and Peters all had some big plays. Our defense is our shining star-- The offense-- not so much.

defiantdog
10-11-2015, 10:20 AM
The reason Troy had some success is we played everybody in uniform. Also Troy finally put the ex Scooba QB Pruitt in the game and He had some luck, he is very quick. Green, Bryant and Peters all had some big plays. Our defense is our shining star-- The offense-- not so much.

Freshmen qb, 4 running backs, 1st time starter at LT, an OL that hasn't meshed yet, and running the same 5 plays will cause your offense to misfire.