PDA

View Full Version : Baseball - that Utley play was terrible

Irondawg
10-11-2015, 01:06 AM
I hate that play. I get going hard to break up the double play but there was ZERO intent to slide into 2nd. He was trying to take out the SS, clear and simple. They let that and the neighborhood play go alot and I wish they would just eliminate both.

Rayburn8
10-11-2015, 01:07 AM
It was insanely dirty, and the sad thing is that MLB won't punish him at all.

smootness
10-11-2015, 01:11 AM
It was insanely dirty, and the sad thing is that MLB won't punish him at all.

Yep, but they'll punish New York when they throw at Utley despite the fact that the intent is equally observable in both instances.

The fact that he was given 2nd after that is a total joke.

Dawg61
10-11-2015, 07:45 AM
The fact that he was given 2nd after that is a total joke.

I hate replay in baseball. For over 100 years Utley is out on that play and he should be since even he never touched 2nd.

bobcat91
10-11-2015, 09:40 AM
There was nothing wrong with that play: hard nosed baseball has been around for years. The issue was Tejada spinning like an idiot instead of realizing that there was no play at first after the errant throw at second that pulled him away from the bag. Utley could still touch second so it is just a hard baseball play. Let's not put panties on baseball players like were are trying to do in football.

smootness
10-11-2015, 12:01 PM
There was nothing wrong with that play: hard nosed baseball has been around for years. The issue was Tejada spinning like an idiot instead of realizing that there was no play at first after the errant throw at second that pulled him away from the bag. Utley could still touch second so it is just a hard baseball play. Let's not put panties on baseball players like were are trying to do in football.

Please.

sandjunky
10-11-2015, 01:15 PM

While I don't necessarily have an issue with the play...going in hard and all to breakup potential double play....rest assured someone's getting earholed on the Dodgers

whosyourdawgy
10-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Sliding in hard to break up the play is one thing. Utely didn't even attempt to slide til he was passed the damn bag. He got his head slammed on the ground by a knee on the play too. It changed the game and led the Dodgers to a win and possibly changed the series w the injury to Tejada and Utely could've put himself out of the series w a concussion. I bet if they did the concussion protocol from the NFL on him he wouldn't be playing. Sliding to break up the double play is one thing. What Utely did was bush league dirty

Tbonewannabe
10-11-2015, 01:35 PM

He also ran past 2nd then dove at his legs. It is the same as sliding spikes high to injure to prevent the play.

bobcat91
10-11-2015, 01:42 PM
He prevented the Double Play and wasn't thrown out. The umps saw nothing there. That's baseball.

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Guys it's a fine line and there are many players and former players, including middle infielders, who are saying the philosphy of what he did is just a hard nose play. On the technical side he started the slide late. That's about the only negative that many are pointing out. But you have to understand the era and what has been taught over the years.

http://youtu.be/GIiYw53nGd0

That use to be legal and the only argument that was being made was he was out of the baseline at contact. For obvious reasons the rules were changed and they will be tweaked again as Torre mentioned them playing with the rule in the AFL this year. Hate the player was hurt and I do think Utley came in too hot, but I don't have a problem coming in hard the right way nor do I have a problem with the slide starting even or right before the bag. He was a little late.

Bubb Rubb
10-11-2015, 03:07 PM

Clearly a Dodger fan, or Utley's gay lover.

Utley should be suspended for the rest of the series for that bush league play.

Bubb Rubb
10-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Guys it's a fine line and there are many players and former players, including middle infielders, who are saying the philosphy of what he did is just a hard nose play. On the technical side he started the slide late. That's about the only negative that many are pointing out. But you have to understand the era and what has been taught over the years.

http://youtu.be/GIiYw53nGd0

That use to be legal and the only argument that was being made was he was out of the baseline at contact. For obvious reasons the rules were changed and they will be tweaked again as Torre mentioned them playing with the rule in the AFL this year. Hate the player was hurt and I do think Utley came in too hot, but I don't have a problem coming in hard the right way nor do I have a problem with the slide starting even or right before the bag. He was a little late.

The difference here is that Utley didn't even slide. He lunged into Tejada's legs. It's no coincidence that many many ballplayers have spoken out on twitter about how terrible of a play that was. A hard slide is one thing. As some players have said, this was more like a tackle than a slide. It is the very definition of bush league.

bobcat91
10-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Clearly a Dodger fan, or Utley's gay lover.

Utley should be suspended for the rest of the series for that bush league play.
It's part of the game. Similar plays are seen every week and if no injury was involved then nothing would be said. But you're a dumb ass and don't understand the game. Go back to watching tee ball.

Really Clark?
10-11-2015, 03:37 PM
The difference here is that Utley didn't even slide. He lunged into Tejada's legs. It's no coincidence that many many ballplayers have spoken out on twitter about how terrible of a play that was. A hard slide is one thing. As some players have said, this was more like a tackle than a slide. It is the very definition of bush league.

Disagree. He slid, he was just late getting down too close to the player.

smootness
10-11-2015, 03:47 PM
It's part of the game. Similar plays are seen every week and if no injury was involved then nothing would be said. But you're a dumb ass and don't understand the game. Go back to watching tee ball.

That has no place in baseball. It's like arguing that a player kicking the SS's face is fine because he touched 2nd first and he broke up the double play. That doesn't excuse anything and everything. It was a dirty play, and they need to make sure it isn't allowed.

Tbonewannabe
10-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Taking out the catcher used to be allowed also. I imagine this will possibly cause take out slides to be ruled illegal.

bobcat91
10-11-2015, 04:20 PM
That has no place in baseball. It's like arguing that a player kicking the SS's face is fine because he touched 2nd first and he broke up the double play. That doesn't excuse anything and everything. It was a dirty play, and they need to make sure it isn't allowed.

Tejada has no more right to that area than does Utley. He knows the game and has every right to ensure the one out and hold the ball to prevent the collision. Sounds like some betters on the Mets have sour grapes.

Bubb Rubb
10-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Tejada has no more right to that area than does Utley. He knows the game and has every right to ensure the one out and hold the ball to prevent the collision. Sounds like some betters on the Mets have sour grapes.

Nothing to do with "betters on the Mets." Utley is a thug and always has been. He has a history of this. In fact, he has a history of this with the Mets and Tejada, specifically. There is no place for it in the game.

smootness
10-11-2015, 05:58 PM

This is not at all true. The base runner does not have a right to any space outside the baseline, and the rule specifically states that if a player simply tries to break up the double play, both the runner and batter are out.

Again, the same argument could be made to defend outright violence on a defender.

Tbonewannabe
10-11-2015, 11:02 PM
I guess baseball agrees that the play was dirty since he just got suspended.