PDA

View Full Version : How would we do if we had to go with Fitz the rest of the season

Bocephus
10-10-2015, 10:41 PM
I would feel pretty good based on what he has shown so far. He throws the deep ball better than Dak IMO.

Todd4State
10-10-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't want to think about it. I don't think we would do as well. Fitz isn't the run threat that Dak is and we really need Dak to be that run threat with our lack of a running game.

jbjones
10-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't want to think about it. I don't think we would do as well. Fitz isn't the run threat that Dak is and we really need Dak to be that run threat with our lack of a running game.

I kind of agree with you....I really think Fitz is a better QB than Dak. This season, anyway. Dak hasn't done shit...he looks slow, and this is NOT the offense that got us to #1 last year. His throws are nice. Fitz is a big kid....he can run the dual option that Dan likes.

-JB

spudd21
10-10-2015, 11:06 PM
Would be hard not having Dak on the field from a leadership standpoint.

confucius say
10-10-2015, 11:09 PM
I can guarantee you we wouldn't lead all of football in least interceptions thrown if dak was not playing. For what that's worth

CadaverDawg
10-10-2015, 11:14 PM
We'd have the same record as of today....have a little better running game.....but make no mistake, Dak is better than Fitz right now. So we wouldn't have as good a chance at beating the decent to good teams left on our schedule. That's about it. He definitely wouldn't put us in Better position than Dak. Hell, he's had the luxury of having Lee, Williams, Gray, and Dear playing with him this year while Dak gets Shump and Holloway. Dak ought to ask Dan for the Fitz personnel package. I'm only partially kidding.

maroonmania
10-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Would be hard not having Dak on the field from a leadership standpoint.

Exactly, Dak has the intangibles that Fitz doesn't have yet. But yes, Dak looks slower this year and Fitz does seem to be more accurate on the deep ball. But regardless who the signal caller is they are going to have a lot of pressure on them given we have almost no running game.

Todd4State
10-10-2015, 11:21 PM
I kind of agree with you....I really think Fitz is a better QB than Dak. This season, anyway. Dak hasn't done shit...he looks slow, and this is NOT the offense that got us to #1 last year. His throws are nice. Fitz is a big kid....he can run the dual option that Dan likes.

-JB

Fitz may end up being better than Dak in time- but he isn't better than Dak right now.

Bothrops
10-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Fitz may not be the natural runner Dak is, but right now he's quicker on his feet and is a better passer, naturally. What we don't know is if Fitz will have the leadership and durability of Dak.

chef dixon
10-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Wow. Do you guys really believe that? We've seen Fitz play against two of the worst teams we could possibly play. You will notice that Dak is gone next year regardless of how good Fitz becomes. See Josh Robinson situation.

ScottH
10-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Fitz may end up being better than Dak in time- but he isn't better than Dak right now.

Of course he is. Didn't you know whoever is second string is always better.***

Seriously, a similar question. Would our record be any different if Fitzgerald had started our first 5 games?

My initial reaction is no but I'll have tp think about it.

ZedFedder
10-11-2015, 08:18 AM
If you think that right now Fitz is better than Dak then you may need to look into getting some help. He may in time become even better, but to think he is better right now is ludicrous.

Coach34
10-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Fitz throws the football better than Prescott. It's actually pretty obvious

What Fitz does not have yet is the leadership or quicker decision-making skills that Dakota possesses right now. But Fitz is hands down a much better QB as R-Fr than Prescott was as a R-Fr

Jacksondevildog
10-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Yep. Fitz throws and runs better than Dak, but Dak does all of the little things better that a senior leader should do. It's not hard to see at all.
Fitz throws the football better than Prescott. It's actually pretty obvious

What Fitz does not have yet is the leadership or quicker decision-making skills that Dakota possesses right now. But Fitz is hands down a much better QB as R-Fr than Prescott was as a R-Fr

Leroy Jenkins
10-11-2015, 08:40 AM

Dak isn't the run threat Dak is. Half-way through the season and he has 220 yards rushing, so he is on pace for 440 (+bowl game). Last year he had 986.

scottycameron
10-11-2015, 09:27 AM
I would guess the same W-L record. Not a lot of difference. Dak is a more powerful runner, Fitz is a better passer and maybe a little quicker. Really depends on what type of offensive game you want to call. Whoever had their strengths played to would have a better year.

Johnson85
10-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Seriously, a similar question. Would our record be any different if Fitzgerald had started our first 5 games?

Northwestern state and Troy would be a win regardless. uSM likely would have been a win, but on the road, first game of the season, could have been different. Auburn at auburn I would put as a likely loss. Fitzgerald is just as good or better than dak against weak competition. That's a great sign for going forward, but I would be shocked if he was as effective against sec d's and on the road in conference games.

grinnindawg
10-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Likely not as well as with Dak.

Fitz has looked good.
Dak has become very good at throwing in traffic. Both in the pocket and downfield.
Fitz looks faster than Dak to me.
Dak has missed a few reads this year that might have us undefeated.

As for the deep balls, he looks better, but it's a small body of work.
He throws them where the receivers have a chance.
However, on the 2 throws yesterday, what if those were Bama DBs instead of Troy DBs?

Coach 57
10-11-2015, 03:03 PM
If you think that Dak is a better run threat than Fitz you just have no clue about football. How on earth can you surmise that Dak is a greater run threat when we are talking about a kid who ran the option in high school? I agree with C34 I think he throws the ball better than Dak. I just believe that Dak knows the offense far better, has the ability to dismiss a defense quicker and has better management of the team from a leadership perspective.

As far as where would we be if Fitz was our QB from here on out goes. I think you could chalk up both the Bama & UM games as a loss. Possibly one of the Mizz or Arky games as a loss as well. It is tough to go on the road and lead them to victory for such a young inexperienced QB.

Leadership is such a valuable commodity! Especially on the road. When things get tough, guys are ready to quit/throw in the towel and they look at their leader to see what his demeanor is. If he's a guy that gets too high or too low, he's not dependable. I remember when Dak used to hold for the kickers when Tyler was the QB and every now and then he would come in in short yardage or goal line plays. It just seemed like the energy level of the other 10 guys who were on the field sky rocketed up. He would bring so much energy, but then aTm happened in 2013. He realized in order for him to be the leader of this team he had to not be up (playing with too much emotion at QB causes turnovers) and not be down. You've gotta be leveled out! That's the evolution of Dak, he's matured in his leadership. Nick will have to make a similar transition but I don't think he is emotionally charged like Dak was. This could be a very good thing.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Of course he is. Didn't you know whoever is second string is always better.***

My initial reaction is no but I'll have tp think about it.

My guess is the same or 3-3 with a loss to Auburn. Dak's TD pass to Myles was huge in that game and I think that Dak's experience reading defenses really showed on that play in particular.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 03:43 PM
If you think that Dak is a better run threat than Fitz you just have no clue about football. How on earth can you surmise that Dak is a greater run threat when we are talking about a kid who ran the option in high school? I agree with C34 I think he throws the ball better than Dak. I just believe that Dak knows the offense far better, has the ability to dismiss a defense quicker and has better management of the team from a leadership perspective.

As far as where would we be if Fitz was our QB from here on out goes. I think you could chalk up both the Bama & UM games as a loss. Possibly one of the Mizz or Arky games as a loss as well. It is tough to go on the road and lead them to victory for such a young inexperienced QB.

Leadership is such a valuable commodity! Especially on the road. When things get tough, guys are ready to quit/throw in the towel and they look at their leader to see what his demeanor is. If he's a guy that gets too high or too low, he's not dependable. I remember when Dak used to hold for the kickers when Tyler was the QB and every now and then he would come in in short yardage or goal line plays. It just seemed like the energy level of the other 10 guys who were on the field sky rocketed up. He would bring so much energy, but then aTm happened in 2013. He realized in order for him to be the leader of this team he had to not be up (playing with too much emotion at QB causes turnovers) and not be down. You've gotta be leveled out! That's the evolution of Dak, he's matured in his leadership. Nick will have to make a similar transition but I don't think he is emotionally charged like Dak was. This could be a very good thing.

As far as being run threats I think they are about the same. But they are also different types of runners. Dak is more physical as a runner than Nick is at this stage of their careers. And because of that I think that Dak is more beneficial to this years team than Nick would be. For example- there were a couple of times that Nick got stonewalled on third or fourth and short against Troy. Now, I'm sure you will go into some technical discussion about the o-line screwing something up- which probably is correct. But even with the o-line screwing up- Dak still more than likely would have gotten the first down.

Anyway, that's what I am talking about in regards to Dak being a better run threat.