PDA

View Full Version : Buy / Sell: This team has substantially improved since Week 1 against USM

HSVDawg
10-10-2015, 10:16 PM
I'll hang up and listen.

Todd4State
10-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Buy. The defense is MUCH better if they play like they did today. We're seeing Dear involved more and hopefully Gray involved more. And Lee performed well again- I HOPE it is a matter of time before he gets a chance to play more- as in next week.

ShotgunDawg
10-10-2015, 10:49 PM
BUY

Our defense as a whole is much better

Ross is better of punt returns

We didn't know we had a FG kicker in the USM game but do now

Offense has possibly regressed because now teams know we don't have a running game & defend us accordingly.

Overall, we've improved but mostly just on defense & special teams.

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Buy. It's still very much a work in progress but they have got better in most if not all areas. Bear in mind that the room for improvement in many areas was immense.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Sell.

"Team" isn't just defense. I think our defense has gotten a little better each week. Our offense hasn't improved at all..and may be regressing. Mainly due to 3 things...

1) Poor OL play
2) Poor personnel decisions at RB
3) Poor play calling

It's disappointing that in Dak's final season this is the offense we've got. That being said, I'm just hoping for the best from now on this season, and hoping for a decent bowl game. We could hope for more if Mullen was willing to put our best players on the field and be as creative offensively as he can be....but he won't. So I'll enjoy the wins and expect the losses, while watching Shump in quicksand and Dak doing his best Tyler Russell impersonation. Maybe we can ruin someone's season like Bama or OM.

Hard Sell.

But good win today. We better bring it next week vs La Tech...they aren't bad.

ShotgunDawg
10-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Good thoughts Cadaver.

This team & the coaching staff this year just have me stumped. I can't figure who this team is, what the coaching staff is thinking, & why we do what we do. Yet, some how, we aren't that bad

It's so frustrating that it seems like every year MSU must have a fatal flaw. In the late 90s, our offense sucked & our defense was awesome, last year our offense was awesome & our secondary sucked, & now we are figuring things our on defense, but can't run the ball anymore.

At MSU we are hell bent on being 75% of championship caliber team, but can never seem to put all the pieces together in the same year. It's damn frustrating.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2015, 11:23 PM
Good thoughts Cadaver.

This team & the coaching staff this year just have me stumped. I can't figure who this team is, what the coaching staff is thinking, & why we do what we do. Yet, some how, we aren't that bad

It's so frustrating that it seems like every year MSU must have a fatal flaw. In the late 90s, our offense sucked & our defense was awesome, last year our offense was awesome & our secondary sucked, & now we are figuring things our on defense, but can't run the ball anymore.

At MSU we are hell bent on being 75% of championship caliber team, but can never seem to put all the pieces together in the same year. It's damn frustrating.

Yep. And it's eerily similar to MSU baseball where the Coach is making frustrating decisions and personnel choices that you feel like is holding us back. I love Cohen and Mullen, but like many good coaches, they stop themselves from being good more than their opponents do at times. Mullen needs to simplify his thought process and just put his best 11 up against his opponents best...and call every game like its the only game of the year. Quit holding back and let her rip. We're in a "slump" offensively, and it's frustrating as shit. Our OL is going to force Dan to get creative, Bc we can't win with last year's formula with this OL. We can still win though...just gotta get creative and design plays for playmaker's, and quit wasting limited offensive possessions on touches for guys like Shump and Holloway. Maximize every possession like we won't get the ball back again.

Just my opinion.

Todd4State
10-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Yep. And it's eerily similar to MSU baseball where the Coach is making frustrating decisions and personnel choices that you feel like is holding us back. I love Cohen and Mullen, but like many good coaches, they stop themselves from being good more than their opponents do at times. Mullen needs to simplify his thought process and just put his best 11 up against his opponents best...and call every game like its the only game of the year. Quit holding back and let her rip. We're in a "slump" offensively, and it's frustrating as shit. Our OL is going to force Dan to get creative, Bc we can't win with last year's formula with this OL. We can still win though...just gotta get creative and design plays for playmaker's, and quit wasting limited offensive possessions on touches for guys like Shump and Holloway. Maximize every possession like we won't get the ball back again.

Just my opinion.

As I say every week- our solution to the running game is Dontavian Lee. It's just up to Dan to decide to compromise his ideals for the better for all of us.

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Sell.

"Team" isn't just defense. I think our defense has gotten a little better each week. Our offense hasn't improved at all..and may be regressing. Mainly due to 3 things...

1) Poor OL play
2) Poor personnel decisions at RB
3) Poor play calling

It's disappointing that in Dak's final season this is the offense we've got. That being said, I'm just hoping for the best from now on this season, and hoping for a decent bowl game. We could hope for more if Mullen was willing to put our best players on the field and be as creative offensively as he can be....but he won't. So I'll enjoy the wins and expect the losses, while watching Shump in quicksand and Dak doing his best Tyler Russell impersonation. Maybe we can ruin someone's season like Bama or OM.

Hard Sell.

But good win today. We better bring it next week vs La Tech...they aren't bad.

LOL, interesting. Is your glass ever even half full?

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Good thoughts Cadaver.

What this team is on offense is a team with decent to great skill players working behind, I hate to say it, a bad offensive line. The line is improving but they have a very long way to go. On defense it's what was an average unit that lost a lot of guys that is in the process of changing its approach to things. It's not as bad as most of us think but it's also not as good as we all hoped it would be.

Quaoarsking
10-11-2015, 01:01 AM
Louisiana Tech needed a last second field goal to beat 1-5 UTSA today. I think we'll be fine.

HSVDawg
10-11-2015, 08:45 AM
As I say every week- our solution to the running game is Dontavian Lee. It's just up to Dan to decide to compromise his ideals for the better for all of us.

I like Lee as well and think he is probably our best option at RB. However, he looks good out there because he always falls forward and is the best of our current group at getting yards after contact. Most of his "good runs" today seemed like the hole closed up around him and he was still able to carry guys a few yards afterwards. It's not like our OL is creating gaping holes and Lee is the only one who can see them. For those reasons I think the OL is still the biggest problem.

Leroy Jenkins
10-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Louisiana Tech needed a last second field goal to beat 1-5 UTSA today. I think we'll be fine.

The fightin' Jeff Driskels' dont worry me much.

I would like to see more of Lee earlier in the game vs a fresh defense who still has fight.

BulldogBear
10-11-2015, 09:09 AM

They were looking ahead to us****

Not sure the **** are needed though. Yesterday's effort by our team will lead to a single digit win next week. We play like poo and we will lose. We'll get Tech's A game, super bowl, etc.

I do not think the latter will happen of course, but the single digit thing might. Hopefully we show up and the scire looks similar to this week.

starkvegasdawg
10-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Yesterday I saw Lee refusing to go down and pushing the pile. I saw Shumpert getting tripped up on blades of grass. No way he can have carpet in his house. I think our RB rotation should be Lee, Dear, and Holloway.
Put Shumpert and Willuams in if anybody gets hurt or a game is out of hand.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Yesterday I saw Lee refusing to go down and pushing the pile. I saw Shumpert getting tripped up on blades of grass. No way he can have carpet in his house. I think our RB rotation should be Lee, Dear, and Holloway.
Put Shumpert and Willuams in if anybody gets hurt or a game is out of hand.

I think Williams is much better than you do apparently. I think Lee should start with Williams spelling him. Dear is not going to play RB, and Holloway is back to his 2014 form after a good flukey start. Shumpert should be moved to FB, and I think we should install an under center package with Shump at FB and Lee at TB for goal line, short yardage, and to grind clock. But I know that's a pipe dream....if Dak is working on snaps under center like he claims, why not take advantage since we have a FB already and our run game could use a tweak

BiloxiBully
10-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Buy but only on defense. They have improved substantially Diaz is started to leave his mark and we are tackling much better. Offense is such a disappointment after last season. Hopefully Lee starts getting the bulk of the carries. O-line has regressed heavily since last season just need better run blocking.

defiantdog
10-11-2015, 10:07 AM
I'll hang up and listen.

Buy.....

1. Defense is playing as a team (I think B. Brown attempts to play every snap)
2. Offense understands the playbook now (Remember, we had a freshmen QB in the game; we ran 4 different running backs; and we had a first time starter at LT yesterday)
3. Our receivers understand their routes now and get better separation
4. Bear is proving that our offense can stretch the field
5. At one point, we had 7 freshmen on the field at one time yesterday and played fairly solid (true and red shirts)

Yes, we kind of buried our heads in the second half yesterday; but the players also seemed kind of bored for some reason. That's coaching. The team has progressed well. I'm not sure about coaching. I still don't know why we only run the same 5 plays.

chef dixon
10-11-2015, 10:07 AM
I think Williams is much better than you do apparently. I think Lee should start with Williams spelling him. Dear is not going to play RB, and Holloway is back to his 2014 form after a good flukey start. Shumpert should be moved to FB, and I think we should install an under center package with Shump at FB and Lee at TB for goal line, short yardage, and to grind clock. But I know that's a pipe dream....if Dak is working on snaps under center like he claims, why not take advantage since we have a FB already and our run game could use a tweak

I'm sort of in the camp as well that Williams has shown absolutely nothing that says he can be any better than Shumpert to this point, maybe he needs more chances but I don't see it yet. Lee is far and away the best looking runner of what we have available, as he was in the spring game.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm sort of in the camp as well that Williams has shown absolutely nothing that says he can be any better than Shumpert to this point, maybe he needs more chances but I don't see it yet. Lee is far and away the best looking runner of what we have available, as he was in the spring game.

I think Williams is being hurt more by the O-Line than Lee, Bc he's not as big as Lee. Williams is a good back, with good speed and vision...but he isn't as much of a bruiser as Lee, so Lee looks better running behind our shitty OL so far with his ability to push a pile. I really think people will like Williams a Lot if he ever gets significant snaps and a decent OL to run behind.

But you're right, with our current OL, Lee is the obvious choice IMO.

Dawgface
10-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Slightly better. So sell.

MabenMaroon
10-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Well, he needs to make some tremendous strides in his pass blocking, route running and overall scheme responsibilities. His running ability may be the best on the team but screw ups in the other aspects of the game could lead to some devastating outcomes in games. It is a real reach to be saying that Coaches Mullen, Know and Hevesy are holding him back because of ideals, seniority or loyalty. I can assure you that every member of our coaching staff and team wants to win and dominate as much or more than you, myself or any other MSU fan does. Their rather large salaries depend on it.
The real question is, how does a D Lee, A-Train, or any other future back get to the point that they are playing position completely and not risking the outcomes of games doing so? Is it in-game experience or showing that they have a complete grasp in practice before being put in real game situations?
In tightly played games or games with evenly matched opponents the result often comes down to full team execution on just a few plays. One player missing his assignment on those plays can be difference between a touchdown or a turnover and both can be game changers. How much do the coaches want to risk?

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Well, he needs to make some tremendous strides in his pass blocking, route running and overall scheme responsibilities. His running ability may be the best on the team but screw ups in the other aspects of the game could lead to some devastating outcomes in games. It is a real reach to be saying that Coaches Mullen, Know and Hevesy are holding him back because of ideals, seniority or loyalty. I can assure you that every member of our coaching staff and team wants to win and dominate as much or more than you, myself or any other MSU fan does. Their rather large salaries depend on it.
The real question is, how does a D Lee, A-Train, or any other future back get to the point that they are playing position completely and not risking the outcomes of games doing so? Is it in-game experience or showing that they have a complete grasp in practice before being put in real game situations?
In tightly played games or games with evenly matched opponents the result often comes down to full team execution on just a few plays. One player missing his assignment on those plays can be difference between a touchdown or a turnover and both can be game changers. How much do the coaches want to risk?

If it takes a year and 6 games to pick up our pass blocking schemes and other assignments, it's not a player problem, it's a "our assignments and blocking schemes are too damn complex" problem. And if that truly is the reason they aren't playing....are you telling me that Lee, Williams, Dear, AND Gray all seem to be poor at learning all of our required assignments? I'm not buying that.

And I don't see how Lee missing a block on Dak's blindside, could be any worse than having Holloway responsible for your blindside. At least Lee has a shot at getting an actual block....while Holloway is like a fly on the windshield of these Defensive Ends and blitzing linebackers.

But that's just me

Saltydog
10-11-2015, 11:51 AM
We haven't substantially improved anywhere.

Bully13
10-11-2015, 11:54 AM
We haven't substantially improved anywhere.

this. unfortunately.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 11:56 AM

He's better than Holloway at pass blocking and guess who we brought in to help with our pass blocking against Texas A&M? Lee.

defiantdog
10-11-2015, 12:13 PM
He's better than Holloway at pass blocking and guess who we brought in to help with our pass blocking against Texas A&M? Lee.

Yeah, the pass blocking excuse is laughable. Lee should move up in the depth charts next week. We need a guy that runs with purpose. Cause Holloway and Shump wouldn't start for Troy right now.

Bothrops
10-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Lee is our best RB. Lee will see the least amount of snaps this year. I'm starting to believe this to be true.

TrapGame
10-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Yeah, the pass blocking excuse is laughable. Lee should move up in the depth charts next week. We need a guy that runs with purpose. Cause Holloway and Shump wouldn't start for Troy right now.

This^^^^^

It just boggles my mind that every touch by Lee gives us a chance for a big gain but Shump gets the touches and gets tackled by shadows and hash marks!

ETA: To the op we haven't improved much since USM. And it's primarily coaching imo.

Drugdog
10-11-2015, 02:35 PM
Sell. We won't beat a team with a winning record this year.

BulldogBear
10-11-2015, 03:04 PM

Dang. I know the Beardsharks are falling apart and stuff but you really think Memphis will beat them?****

Quaoarsking
10-11-2015, 03:12 PM

So you think
Southern Miss is going to lose 4 of their last 6 against CUSA scrubs
Either Louisiana Tech will come into Starkville and beat us OR Louisiana Tech goes 1-4 in its last 5 against CUSA scrubs
Either Kentucky will come into Starkville and beat us OR Kentucky somehow fails to have a winning season despite Charlotte and Vandy left on the schedule
Either Missouri beats us OR Missouri somehow falls to 5-7 despite several scrubs remaining on the schedule
Either Arkansas beats us OR Arkansas falls to 5-7 (that one's not as unlikely)

Except for the last 1, it's pretty likely that none of those things happen, and you honestly believe that ALL of them will??

ETA: Auburn has a decent shot at a winning season if they beat Kentucky Thursday, so there's another. We could easily have 4 or 5 wins over teams with winning records, and even if we don't, the odds of having 0 are tiny.

IMissJack
10-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Sell: I do think the D has improved some, but the O has not looked smooth in SEC games, and every other team has improved some since their first game of the season; some more than others (See FL).

Bothrops
10-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Kentucky is a lot like us, they've got problems. But they could bomb out from here on and still make a bowl. I kinda feel like Auburn will get them Thurs.

USM will probably win 6 or 7.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 04:06 PM

I'm not exactly sure why Lee has to be a complete back when none of our backs are complete backs.

Shumpert is the best blocker and the best receiver- but he is not a very good runner.

Holloway is explosive at times- but he can not block because of his size and he is not a good receiver. He's also best if he can run outside.

Aeries looks OK but he isn't as productive as Lee.

Lee can run the ball, can block respectably well, and I don't know about his route running, but I do know that the one time we threw to him he caught it against LSU and got six yards. Even if he sucks as a pass catcher, it's worth the sacrifice especially with the other weapons we do have.

Malik Dear- we apparently are pigeon holing him as a slot WR only.

Todd4State
10-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Kentucky is a lot like us, they've got problems. But they could bomb out from here on and still make a bowl. I kinda feel like Auburn will get them Thurs.

USM will probably win 6 or 7.

I think USM wins 8. Their only other loss coming to La Tech on the road. I think Auburn will beat UK and I think Auburn will get better as the year goes along and makes a bowl. Agree on UK making a bowl.

Drugdog
10-11-2015, 04:44 PM
So your proud of beating USM, La Tech, possibly Kentucky ? This is why we get no respect. Losing to LSU ,AM, probably to Bama and God forbid to the Bears and look back at who we beat. A bunch of chumps.

Yes we were good at the beginning of 2014. Best team in the country!!!!!!

BUT SINCE the last 4 games of last year and the first 6 games of this year we have not played well. This is almost a complete season of playing poor. There is a problem.

Wins: Vandy, USM, AU , Northwest State and Troy.

Loses: Bama, Bears , GT, Lsu , AM

See the pattern. We can't beat Good Teams.

Don't give me the crap about the LSU field goal. There is not a comments section on the scoreboard.

I am as disappointed if not more than most on this board. Fact is we are not good against good teams.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 04:55 PM
So your proud of beating USM, La Tech, possibly Kentucky ? This is why we get no respect. Losing to LSU ,AM, probably to Bama and God forbid to the Bears and look back at who we beat. A bunch of chumps.

Yes we were good at the beginning of 2014. Best team in the country!!!!!!

BUT SINCE the last 4 games of last year and the first 6 games of this year we have not played well. This is almost a complete season of playing poor. There is a problem.

Wins: Vandy, USM, AU , Northwest State and Troy.

Loses: Bama, Bears , GT, Lsu , AM

See the pattern. We can't beat Good Teams.

Don't give me the crap about the LSU field goal. There is not a comments section on the scoreboard.

I am as disappointed if not more than most on this board. Fact is we are not good against good teams.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/174/1744573/2565863-3853767-4957010%2B_3d402eb6c781d9c88cd3419c33f6e390.png

Quaoarsking
10-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Well, he sure wasn't right when he declared we wouldn't beat a team with a winning record this year. We've probably already done that twice, and will do it two more times over the next two Saturdays.

That makes 4 (far above his declaration of 0) before we get to Missouri (likely #5) or Alabama/Ole Miss.

We may not get to 7, but his 0 is one of the least likely predictions ever posted on this board.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Well, he sure wasn't right when he declared we wouldn't beat a team with a winning record this year. We've probably already done that twice, and will do it two more times over the next two Saturdays.

That makes 4 (far above his declaration of 0) before we get to Missouri (likely #5) or Alabama/Ole Miss.

We may not get to 7, but his 0 is one of the least likely predictions ever posted on this board.

Yep. That's why I didn't agree with that one. Ha

Tbonewannabe
10-11-2015, 05:31 PM

I don't think Shump would start for any team on our schedule including NW St.

gravedigger
10-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Sell. Same team.