PDA

View Full Version : Is Hev Mullen's McCorvey?

Leroy Jenkins
10-10-2015, 07:06 PM
OL coach and run game coordinator, both areas are very bad.

Rick Danko
10-10-2015, 07:08 PM
No, he doesn't call the plays...

ShotgunDawg
10-10-2015, 07:10 PM
No because Heav has done a great job most were year till this one. People don't like Hev but prior to this year, the results were there.

MCCorvey never had results.

That being said, Hev needs figure out to get through to this bunch and get the ship righted. Different teams require different approaches and I get the feeling that Hev is trying to coach these guys like he did Day and Beckwith

Leroy Jenkins
10-10-2015, 07:15 PM
]No because Heav has done a great job most were year till this one.[/B] People don't like Hev but prior to this year, the results were there.

That being said, Hev needs figure out to get through to this bunch and get the ship righted. Different teams require different approaches and I get the feeling that Hev is trying to coach these guys like he did Day and Beckwith

Has he done a great job? No one else has held the position. What if it could have been done so much better all this time and we just dont know how good we could have been? Its like if you fall in love with the first tits you see.. what if there are better even greater tits out there.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-10-2015, 07:25 PM
No because Heav has done a great job most were year till this one. People don't like Hev but prior to this year, the results were there.

You're a stats guy. Which years were we good on the OL other than 2010 and 2014? I don't give Croom credit for a lot, but that 2010 OL was more him than Hevesey. So we have 2014 and what else? And don't throw fewest sacks allowed at me because we typically have a mobile QB.

Westdawg
10-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Has he done a great job? No one else has held the position. What if it could have been done so much better all this time and we just dont know how good we could have been?

You say this after having the best offense in the sec last season and one of the three best EVER in the history of the SEC. you lost all validity just opening your mouth on this one.
This is a YOUNG group in experience and even in age. It happens sometimes. However, light bulbs need to start clicking on soon

Leroy Jenkins
10-10-2015, 07:28 PM
You say this after having the best offense in the sec last season and one of the three best EVER in the history of the SEC. you lost all validity just opening your mouth on this one.
This is a YOUNG group in experience and even in age. It happens sometimes. However, light bulbs need to start clicking on soon

The best offense in the SEC still has a weakest link on it.

ShotgunDawg
10-10-2015, 07:28 PM

Thanks West. You get it.

Hev has done a great job, but something isn't clicking with this group. However, that doesn't mean it won't click. When it does, we'll be dangerous.

My guess is that everyone will know when it happens. In some game this season, Mullen will hand the ball off & the sea will part. Then he'll do it again with the same result & everyone in the stands will go "Ahhh"

The good thing is that I believe the talent is there. I don't think this is an impossible situation

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-10-2015, 07:32 PM

Yet there are folks on this board posting about how young and inexperienced we will be in 2016 when our starters graduate this year. We can't perpetually be young and inexperienced. You can't have it both ways. Especially when Hevesey has been here 8 years.

Leroy Jenkins
10-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks West. You get it.

Hev has done a great job, but something isn't clicking with this group. However, that doesn't mean it won't click. When it does, we'll be dangerous.

My guess is that everyone will know when it happens. In some game this season, Mullen will hand the ball off & the sea will part. Then he'll do it again with the same result & everyone in the stands will go "Ahhh"

The good thing is that I believe the talent is there. I don't think this is an impossible situation

So because he agrees with you he "gets it"? You are wrong a lot you know. A lot.

ShotgunDawg
10-10-2015, 07:39 PM
So because he agrees with you he "gets it"? You are wrong a lot you know. A lot.

Yes, I know. As are you

ScottH
10-10-2015, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Westdawg;427643
This is a YOUNG group in experience and even in age. [/QUOTE]

I'll buy inexperienced

Not sold on age. Started 1 Sr, 3 Jr, 1 RFrosh (replacing Warren, a Sr.)

Political Hack
10-10-2015, 08:14 PM
He's a lazy recruiter but a good OL coach. I've never seen anything that makes me think he should be a co-coordinator though. If he's coordinating the run game, as his title suggest, he's not coordinating very well.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-10-2015, 08:19 PM

My guess is you are wrong on that. They couldn't part the sea against Troy Flipping State.

ShotgunDawg
10-10-2015, 08:25 PM
My guess is you are wrong on that. They couldn't part the sea against Troy Flipping State.

Depends on whether it's a physical problem or a mental problem.

If guys are blocking the wrong guys & aren't working together, it doesn't matter as much who you are playing. An offensive line that looks great again Troy probably also looks pretty good against better competition.

Tbonewannabe
10-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Day and Beckwith brought an attitude to the line. I don't know if we have anyone like that on this team.

BankerDog
10-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Day and Beckwith brought an attitude to the line. I don't know if we have anyone like that on this team.

Elgton Jenkins, Deion Calhoun, Senior will get dirty as will Clayborne. Malone has never played hard. He is lazy, and it has been like that since middle school for him. Desper just acts like he never wants to play.

They need to go ahead and process Jake Thomas, Cole Carter, and Robinson. Thomas was out in the District the Friday night before LSU because as he said "The guys who suck don't have to stay at the hotel".

MrKotter
10-10-2015, 09:08 PM

You're not allowed to question Hevesey on this board. Doesn't matter that he is, by far, the weakest link on the staff. For whatever reason, the majority here thinks he is a valuable asset.

Really Clark?
10-10-2015, 09:15 PM
You're not allowed to question Hevesey on this board. Doesn't matter that he is, by far, the weakest link on the staff. For whatever reason, the majority here thinks he is a valuable asset.

Here is the issue, you quoted a post about him being the OL coach and run game coordinator and they are bad areas. I agree they are an issue but he was the OL coach and run game coordinator last year as well. We were pretty good then wouldn't you say? There is more moving parts than what you want to admit than its just the coach. He needs to get the line going much better, I agree but take what he has done as a whole and he has also done some really good jobs with our lines as well.

Leroy Jenkins
10-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Here is the issue, you quoted a post about him being the OL coach and run game coordinator and they are bad areas. I agree they are an issue but he was the OL coach and run game coordinator last year as well. We were pretty good then wouldn't you say? There is more moving parts than what you want to admit than its just the coach. He needs to get the line going much better, I agree but take what he has done as a whole and he has also done some really good jobs with our lines as well.

Maybe he has done a good job but how do we know? What is the metric for success? What if he really has done just an OK job but we are so accustomed to poor football we dont know how good we could have been if we had upgraded his position? Every year when the meat of the schedule comes we fold.

Coach34
10-10-2015, 09:38 PM

Shit no- That's is Mullen's offense. Hev got a title to get a pay raise

Really Clark?
10-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Maybe he has done a good job but how do we know? What is the metric for success? What if he really has done just an OK job but we are so accustomed to poor football we dont know how good we could have been if we had upgraded his position? Every year when the meat of the schedule comes we fold.

You think we set the SEC records in offense we did last year with just an OK job? You think he takes a first year Croom bunch and help lead them to # 1 ranked rushing team in the league on just an ok job? Yeah scheme, players, play calls, etc all work to help the line but when the line is bad it's hard to make the offense work. And for multiple years we have had success offensively and that doesn't happen consistently with bad line coach all the time. Can it be better right now? Sure it can and this may be his worse job. Then again if we had been a part of the process this whole time we might think he has been doing one of his better jobs if the line was a bigger issue than we thought it would be. I think we actually have some better line talent here right now than what we have had. But they are not playing or executing well, mainly in run blocking. Left tackle looks to have been an issue. I think Jenkins will get there though.

Todd4State
10-10-2015, 10:00 PM
I don't think the o-line is an issue as much as it is the running backs as a whole. If our o-ilne sucks so bad, why are they pretty good in pass pro and why are Dak and Dontavian Lee able to run behind them and get yards? If we're talking about a coach holding us back based on production for this year alone, the unbiased pick would be Knox based on how his unit has performed- and he has two four star guys which makes their production when you consider what was "expected" of Hevesey's unit based on their recruting projections.

AND NO I AM NOT SAYING WE SHOULD FIRE KNOX.

thunderclap
10-10-2015, 10:06 PM
I don't know whose fault it is but our offense sucks ass right now.

RougeDawg
10-10-2015, 10:13 PM
He's a lazy recruiter but a good OL coach. I've never seen anything that makes me think he should be a co-coordinator though. If he's coordinating the run game, as his title suggest, he's not coordinating very well.

We could have the best Run Coordinator that the game has ever known, but we would still struggle if our HC doesn't put the best player in there to tote the rock. End of f*cking story. Put the best player out there and the OLine will look better. A starting RB running into the back of his linemen will make any OLine look like shit.

Westdawg
10-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Yet there are folks on this board posting about how young and inexperienced we will be in 2016 when our starters graduate this year. We can't perpetually be young and inexperienced. You can't have it both ways. Especially when Hevesey has been here 8 years.

I haven't seen anyone talk about next year's OL losing people. Who do we lose? Rufus??? Robinson?? The only one that we would lose is Clayborn I am assuming. Senior would be a senior, Desperate would be a junior I believe, Jenkins a true soph, Calhoun a soph, no one else is a senior.
I said they lack EXPERIENCE, and some are young very young. They have talent they just need to gel

HSVDawg
10-10-2015, 10:32 PM
I don't know whose fault it is but our offense sucks ass right now.

Truest words spoken in a while. And "right now" has now extended to our past 11 games.

Todd4State
10-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Actually West- Clayborn and Desper will be seniors. We lose Malone and Warren. Pretty sure Jenkins starts as a sophomore next year. Senior returns, so I'm assuming that Calhoun replaces Malone next year and basically everyone we started today comes back.

War Machine Dawg
10-10-2015, 11:45 PM

I see your weakest link and raise you a Scott Sallach. Does anyone know what he does or what he's good at? If anyone on this staff is Mullen's McCorvey, it's Sallach. There's a reason we tried to move him off the field a couple of years ago.

War Machine Dawg
10-10-2015, 11:47 PM
Actually West- Clayborn and Desper will be seniors. We lose Malone and Warren. Pretty sure Jenkins starts as a sophomore next year. Senior returns, so I'm assuming that Calhoun replaces Malone next year and basically everyone we started today comes back.

Shouldn't we get Flowers back next year as well? He might unseat Desper.

CadaverDawg
10-10-2015, 11:55 PM

I didn't focus on Desper all game, but I noticed multiple plays where he got embarrassed by the Troy DL. That shit won't cut it. Either Rankin is pure garbage and a bust...or we made a mistake RS'ing him. Our OL is a steaming pile of soft shit.

Todd4State
10-10-2015, 11:57 PM

Forgot about him. He definitely will compete with Desper however I think it's worth noting that Flowers couldn't unseat Desper last year so I don't think it's a slam dunk that Flowers will replace him.

War Machine Dawg
10-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Forgot about him. He definitely will compete with Desper however I think it's worth noting that Flowers couldn't unseat Desper last year so I don't think it's a slam dunk that Flowers will replace him.

Obviously it's not a slam dunk, but all accounts are he has the nasty in him. I'll take my chances with the nasty OL every time if all else is roughly equal.

NCDawg
10-11-2015, 01:18 AM
I didn't focus on Desper all game, but I noticed multiple plays where he got embarrassed by the Troy DL. That shit won't cut it. Either Rankin is pure garbage and a bust...or we made a mistake RS'ing him. Our OL is a steaming pile of soft shit.

Think you are correct. I'll bet even Fournette would have a difficult time running behind our OL.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-11-2015, 06:49 AM
I haven't seen anyone talk about next year's OL losing people. Who do we lose? Rufus??? Robinson?? The only one that we would lose is Clayborn I am assuming. Senior would be a senior, Desperate would be a junior I believe, Jenkins a true soph, Calhoun a soph, no one else is a senior.
I said they lack EXPERIENCE, and some are young very young. They have talent they just need to gel

It's been mentioned on here. We lose two this year and the entire five by 2017. So in 2017 we will be two years older having the same "Hevesey is the best developer of talent EVAR but a subpar recruiter" conversation.

We are halfway through the season. This OL has gone through spring practice, fall practice, and here we are in October. They have all been in this system for years. I'm guessing some of these guys were running with the 2nd OL last year. How long does it take this genius developer to get these guys to gel?