PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe has cooled off quickly

Coach34
07-24-2013, 03:08 PM
after starting 7-12, Renfroe is 7-38 since (.184).... still .280 overall. I wonder how long they let him continue before making some changes

msstate7
07-24-2013, 03:09 PM
after starting 7-12, Renfroe is 7-38 since (.184).... still .280 overall. I wonder how long they let him continue before making some changes

He must be getting alot of at bats with runners on base

CadaverDawg
07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
He must be getting alot of at bats with runners on base

+1

ISWYDT

Dawg61
07-24-2013, 03:32 PM
How many tools does he have?

Will James
07-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Sample sizes people....... I'm sure they will work on his swing, mechanics just like they do every player. Give it until this time next year to make any assumptions or projections.

Homedawg
07-24-2013, 05:55 PM

As a rule, they let the guys go as far as they want without telling them what to do. They make the player ask for help. Otherwise, he won't be open and taking it in if it forced. Now, when he gets to instructional league, if he goes, they might plant seeds but it still won't be forced this early in his career. He will be open to it when he fails.

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-24-2013, 06:30 PM
How many tools does he have?

He's still using with the ones we bought him at Harbor Freight. Once he has time to buy a set of Milwaukee's his performance will be much improved.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Shocked that corley is batting 280 even

Coach34
07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
As a rule, they let the guys go as far as they want without telling them what to do. They make the player ask for help. Otherwise, he won't be open and taking it in if it forced. Now, when he gets to instructional league, if he goes, they might plant seeds but it still won't be forced this early in his career. He will be open to it when he fails.

That's normally the case- but when the club has 2.6MM invested in you, they will suggest changes without waiting on you. Renfroe is a good guy and will be open to coaching, so I don't look for him to keep trying to run into a brick wall.

His bat decides his fate- because everything else is already at a MLB level. He is obviously going to need a couple years in the minors- I'm just not convinced he will ever be an everyday player in MLB

Dawg61
07-24-2013, 07:10 PM
How long before the Padres wanna test that 98mph on the mound?

Todd4State
07-24-2013, 07:52 PM
The guys that make it in MLB are able to make adjustments. It's just part of learning how to be a Big Leaguer. Once you make it to MLB, they do expect you to pretty much take control of your career in terms of learning, adjusting etc. The guys that can do that become good MLB players- regardless of whether they are five tool players or not. That's why a guy like Albert Pujols can make himself into the best player in baseball when he was with the Cardinals and why a guy like Jeff Francouer is getting traded or placed on waivers every year even though he has more natural talent.

That said, they do a pretty good amount of teaching in the minors. In fact, that's one reason why I don't particularly care for minor league baseball all that much and why they have to do Star Wars night, Thirsty Thursday, Fireworks every Friday night to get people out. Because winning isn't paramount in the minors. It's about learning and teaching. How does a guy respond to an 0 for 4? How does a guy respond hitting clean up one night and then 8th the next night? How does a guy respond sitting out a game? How does a pitcher respond with a lead or after a bad outing? Etc.

I think Hunter will make it and I do think he will be a regular starting right fielder in MLB. He has the skill set that they look for plus he did not make the improvements he made at MSU without listening and working hard. I remember wondering his freshman year if he would be a bust or not because he looked intimidated and scared out there and you could tell that he hadn't convinced himself that he belonged in SEC baseball. When he made marked improvements his sophomore year, I knew he would be good and had the potential to blow up like he did. To me, it's more a question of how quickly he adjusts than anything. He has come a long way, but he still has a long way to go.

Plus, the fact that he got cut in junior high or whatever is always going to be in the back of his mind as a motivator. Most guys in the minors have never been cut from anything baseball related in their lives. They've always been the star or the guy that people beg to be on their select team.

As far as him pitching- that's obviously a fall back plan. They won't try it until they've exhausted all options as an everyday player. Most guys that get converted are like Jason Motte- a guy who was a fringe minor leaguer with a really good arm. Usually it's not a dare I say it- five tool guy like Renfroe. He has way more reward potential to them as an outfielder than he does as a closer.

Will James
07-24-2013, 10:53 PM
http://www.baseballnation.com/hot-corner/2013/6/3/4392678/bill-james-on-how-to-fix-minor-league-baseball

To: Todd

Todd4State
07-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Thanks for that Will and I have to say I pretty much agree with them. That's why I enjoy SEC baseball MUCH more and many of the things that they discussed are part of the reason why SEC baseball is so big in the South (Ties to the team through football, weather among others). There's no doubt the college guys are playing to win.

A long time ago, the minor leagues operated more like how they are talking about. Actually in the days before there were teams on the West Coast, there were a few minor leagues that legitimately rivaled MLB. I think the reason why MLB emerged as the top is because they had teams based in New York and Chicago and the National and American League were basically together as one instead of completely standing on their own from 1901 on. Some of those teams eventually became MLB teams- Baltimore Orioles (International League), San Diego Padres (Pacific Coast League)

Think about how cool it would be if players had a say on where they went- we might get to see Hunter Renfroe, Girodo maybe playing with guys like Stuart Turner at Trustmark Park for the Jackson Metro Area Senators. We could have a fierce rivalry with the new team in Biloxi.

Vandelaydawg
07-29-2013, 06:09 AM

@wes_rea: ?Renfroe 3-5, 2 2B, HR, 3 RBI. Now 4 HR and .352 avg in 17 pro games, multiple hits in 9 of them.? You my boy blue!

Come on Wes! Don't be so quick to judge. He will cool off soon enough.**

Coach34
07-29-2013, 10:04 AM
yep- he's rolling again. Good for him, sounds like he made an adjustment. He should stay over .300 on this level

drunkernhelldawg
07-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Damn happy to see it.

messageboardsuperhero
07-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for that Will and I have to say I pretty much agree with them. That's why I enjoy SEC baseball MUCH more and many of the things that they discussed are part of the reason why SEC baseball is so big in the South (Ties to the team through football, weather among others). There's no doubt the college guys are playing to win.

A long time ago, the minor leagues operated more like how they are talking about. Actually in the days before there were teams on the West Coast, there were a few minor leagues that legitimately rivaled MLB. I think the reason why MLB emerged as the top is because they had teams based in New York and Chicago and the National and American League were basically together as one instead of completely standing on their own from 1901 on. Some of those teams eventually became MLB teams- Baltimore Orioles (International League), San Diego Padres (Pacific Coast League)

Think about how cool it would be if players had a say on where they went- we might get to see Hunter Renfroe, Girodo maybe playing with guys like Stuart Turner at Trustmark Park for the Jackson Metro Area Senators. We could have a fierce rivalry with the new team in Biloxi.

That's a very interesting thing to think about. You'd essentially have a hometown minor league team built around local players until they developed enough to make a 40 man roster, and THEN you'd have a draft for them (This would provide more accurate scouting against better competition for MLB teams). I know I'd pay money to see that, and I'm sure other people around the South would too. They'd essentially be SEC All-Star teams with some local high-school-hero types thrown in. That sounds a hell of a lot more exciting than what the minor leagues currently are.

My only question is, would this hurt college baseball? More high quality players might go pro right out of high school.

Will James
07-29-2013, 10:58 AM
My only question is, would this hurt college baseball? More high quality players might go pro right out of high school.

Why would it? Hunter and others that choose college were/are not ready for the Minor Leagues out of high school.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2013, 11:07 AM
It would help the game of baseball in a major way if they could keep these guys close like you said, Todd. I like that idea. I know I'd go watch, but I haven't been to a Braves game at Trustmark park in 3 years and I live 20 minutes from there

State82
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
It would help the game of baseball in a major way if they could keep these guys close like you said, Todd. I like that idea. I know I'd go watch, but I haven't been to a Braves game at Trustmark park in 3 years and I live 20 minutes from there

Me neither. I live in Madison and have not been to Trustmark Park in a couple years. Conversely, I went to Starkville every weekend we played at DNF this year. From opening weekend to the regional. With a trip to Hoover and Omaha mixed in. I just don't really think about going to watch the Braves. Funny you brought this up, though. Earlier today the thought crossed my mind to go out tonight and watch a game since it is Monday and the crowd should be pretty light and the concession lines short. My only real reason for going.