PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get recognition already.

shannondawg
10-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Observations: Mississippi State's season will rest on senior's shoulders
By Jon Rothstein | CBS Sports
October 8, 2015 11:31 am ET

Mississippi guard Craig Sword (USATSI)
Mississippi State will be looking for leadership from senior guard Craig Sword. (USATSI)
Malik Newman's commitment to the Bulldogs' program in April ensured that he'd get the majority of the headlines during the upcoming season, but it would be foolish to sleep on Craig Sword.

The 6-foot-3 senior has averaged in double-figures during all three years of his college career and has improved his 3-point shooting each season during that span. Armed with a chiseled physique that makes him capable of defending the opponent's top perimeter scorer, Sword is a two-way threat that has All-SEC potential as a senior.

The buzz surrounding Newman coupled with Ben Howland now on the sidelines has made Mississippi State relevant in college basketball, but Sword's steadiness, seasoning, and ability to absorb contact during penetration should make him anchor for the Bulldogs in 2015-16. Expect this squad to be in the SEC's second tier of teams after Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Texas A & M.

mstatefan91
10-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Gotta stay healthy

Saltydog
10-09-2015, 11:07 AM
gets in foul trouble, we'll struggle.

starkvegasdawg
10-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Gotta stay healthy

We're screwed.

Beaver
10-09-2015, 11:14 AM
I figure most teams will try to press us and play fast so that our guys will get tired more quickly since we're thin. Hopefully our guys will be in good shape.

smootness
10-09-2015, 11:37 AM
I figure most teams will try to press us and play fast so that our guys will get tired more quickly since we're thin. Hopefully our guys will be in good shape.

That would seem to be a pretty bad idea considering we'll be flush with speed and athleticism. We could run Ready, Newman, and Sword out there together and destroy any team trying to consistently press us.

We're thin in the frontcourt, but we're not as thin overall as we've been before.

KentuckyDawg13
10-09-2015, 11:59 AM
I agree...most likely we will run a smaller/guard lineup with the lack of bigs, thus having speed and the ability/preference to run.

That would seem to be a pretty bad idea considering we'll be flush with speed and athleticism. We could run Ready, Newman, and Sword out there together and destroy any team trying to consistently press us.

We're thin in the frontcourt, but we're not as thin overall as we've been before.

Rayburn8
10-09-2015, 12:04 PM

To piggyback off of this. We are a little thin the the frontcourt but not as thin as we have been in years past.

We have an extremely deep backcourt tho. We have wings for days.

Overall, our team will be really good this season. I'm glad Howland realizes Gavin's potential, I've always thought we should of run our offense through him the past few years. He has some good moves in the post. But overall this looks like a 20-22 win team and a 8-12 seed in the tourney.

I'm interested to see how Howland uses that backcourt depth tho. Also don't worry about him pulling a Dan Mullen. I remember listening to a podcast where a former assistant was talking of a game and the guy asked if they had any timeouts. The guy responded "It's Ben Howland of course we didn't have any timeouts." So that is good news.

Political Hack
10-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Anyone know how Zupp is recovering? He's gonna be a stud inside on O.

Beaver
10-09-2015, 12:16 PM

Good point. We're not running around with Sidney anymore. I'm excited to actually see someone (Newman) who can actually create plays possession by possession and game by game. Dee Bost could do it some, but he didn't show up at every game...

msstate7
10-09-2015, 12:43 PM

After seeing his outside shot, im looking forward to seeing sword and Malik drive and kick it outside to zuppardo

Ifyouonlyknew
10-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Word is Holman may be back in late December/early January. If that's the case we will be ok by SEC play. A rotation of Newman, Sword, Thomas, Daniel, Ware, Ready, Weatherspoon, Holman, & Ndoye will be plenty. Houston & Zuppardo will be guys who will get situational minutes once we get into conference play.

chef dixon
10-09-2015, 12:52 PM

That's awfully optimistic.

Political Hack
10-09-2015, 12:59 PM
That's awfully optimistic.

He can score with his back to the basket or facing up with either hand inside of 8 feet. If we don't use that to compliment Ware's 15 footer, it's our fault for not scheming correctly.

thf24
10-09-2015, 01:17 PM
He can score with his back to the basket or facing up with either hand inside of 8 feet. If we don't use that to compliment Ware's 15 footer, it's our fault for not scheming correctly.

I've never doubted his skill, but can he get and keep position against SEC bigs?

smootness
10-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Word is Holman may be back in late December/early January. If that's the case we will be ok by SEC play. A rotation of Newman, Sword, Thomas, Daniel, Ware, Ready, Weatherspoon, Holman, & Ndoye will be plenty. Houston & Zuppardo will be guys who will get situational minutes once we get into conference play.

That would be awesome.

Political Hack
10-09-2015, 02:26 PM
I've never doubted his skill, but can he get and keep position against SEC bigs?

I see him as a 4 with Ware on the court. I don't see him as a grinder, but that's just me. we're going to push the ball, so despite Dan Mullen (aka ifweonlyknew's) take on the player rotation, I expect to see Zupp running the floor with the dawgs more so than Ndoye. Would be be shocked if we got to a lot of 3G - 2F type sets with outer personnel and try to dictate the pace the of game.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
10-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Houston & Zuppardo will be guys who will get situational minutes once we get into conference play.

any reason Houston isn't in that rotation? I thought he fit what Howland was looking for in athletic wings who can run the floor & defend. I figured he would be Fred's sub at the 3 & sub for Daniels until Holman gets back. Length & hops aren't questions, so is his shooting holding him back? Ball-handling? Feet not quick enough to guard?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-09-2015, 04:03 PM
any reason Houston isn't in that rotation? I thought he fit what Howland was looking for in athletic wings who can run the floor & defend. I figured he would be Fred's sub at the 3 & sub for Daniels until Holman gets back. Length & hops aren't questions, so is his shooting holding him back? Ball-handling? Feet not quick enough to guard?

Houston has to decide does he want to 100% buy in & be apart of this team. I'll just leave it at that.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
10-09-2015, 04:45 PM
I'll just leave it at that.

10-4. I've been wondering if Strugg is facing a similar decision.

Dawg61
10-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Houston has to decide does he want to 100% buy in & be apart of this team. I'll just leave it at that.

That sounds like a 4th scholarship open next year

Ifyouonlyknew
10-09-2015, 05:00 PM
10-4. I've been wondering if Strugg is facing a similar decision.

Not to my knowledge. Joe is just hurt. He's basically been playing on a broken leg all throughout hs with his shin injury.