PDA

View Full Version : Key MSU Questions w/Cadaver Dawg

BeastMan
10-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Here is our MSU discussion http://3rdand57.com/key-msu-questions-trojans-week/

We also discussed the entire SEC http://3rdand57.com/around-the-sec-2/

Here are the MSU questions if anyone wants to weigh in:

1. In the loss to A&M we finally saw Dak tote the rock a little bit. He had 18 carries for 96 yards and a TD. Since we now know he is still capable of being a rushing threat in this offense, do we incorporate that into the game plans down the stretch?

2. MSU gets a much needed 3-game homestretch of very winnable games vs Troy, La Tech, and Kentucky. Do you think Mullen?s tries to establish an offensive identity over that stretch or will he just protect Dak for the stretch? What offensive identity should he be establishing?

3. Manny Diaz?s defenses are known for turnovers and have created 7 which is good for 121st (out of 127) in the nation. The most alarming part of that stat is not seeing any strip attempts leading to MSU recovering 0 fumbles this year. Should MSU fans just be happy with a solid scoring defense (17.8 ppg) or should the lack of turnover be worrisome?

1. The running backs seem to be the biggest topic of discussion this season among State fans. So far we?ve seen Shumpert, Holloway, Williams, and Lee. What is your assessment of the running back position after 5 games, and where do you see it progressing as we move forward throughout the rest of the season? Which guy has ?looked the part? the most to you?

2. The injury bug struck this past weekend with the loss of Kendrick Market for the season with an ACL. I hate that loss because Market embodies what a football player is all about and is a fan favorite. That being said, his injury raises an interesting question. We have 3 extremely talented young safeties in Bryant, Peters, and McLaurin, as well as a Junior Safety in Kivon Coman that will be returning next year. It?s early to look ahead, but how will MSU and Mullen find a way to get those 3 guys on the field at the same time moving forward, or will 1-2 of them be relegated to backup duty? With the 3 freshmen, you have to think that?s on their minds moving forward since they?re all heavily recruited and the same age. I have a feeling most MSU fans are curious to know as well, since there is already questions regarding getting the best personnel on the field together. Your thoughts?

3. Many MSU fans have been screaming ?balance? all season in regards to our offense. Well, this past weekend we managed to have a lot more balance but still only scored 17 points. We?re starting to see a scary trend against good SEC teams where our offense isn?t scoring more than 17-20 points in those games. What do you attribute to the lack of scoring? (Play calling, too few possessions due to too much bending on D, offensive line play, lack of a running game?). What would YOU do as Offensive Coordinator to fix it?

LC Dawg
10-09-2015, 10:21 AM
In regards to the safeties do either of you guys see a possibility of one of the freshmen moving into a role similar to Matt Wells? Both Peters and McLaurin seem to be comparable in size to Wells but I'm sure neither has his speed because few do. Neither guy seems to shy away from contact either. I'm guessing this isn't going to happen or they would already be playing that position but it was just a thought. It's definitely a good problem to have.

BeastMan
10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
In regards to the safeties do either of you guys see a possibility of one of the freshmen moving into a role similar to Matt Wells? Both Peters and McLaurin seem to be comparable in size to Wells but I'm sure neither has his speed because few do. Neither guy seems to shy away from contact either. I'm guessing this isn't going to happen or they would already be playing that position but it was just a thought. It's definitely a good problem to have.

I'm 100% speculating but I think Mark Mclaurin would be that guy if the coaches go that route. That said, I like the idea of having big, physical safeties do I want to see him on the back-end of the defense with Peters in the future

Ifyouonlyknew
10-09-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm 100% speculating but I think Mark Mclaurin would be that guy if the coaches go that route. That said, I like the idea of having big, physical safeties do I want to see him on the back-end of the defense with Peters in the future

Good questions. You could say Peters was already playing the Matt Wells role against A&M. The package where he was playing is called the Cheetah defense & he was playing the Cheetah position. Named after Matt Wells. Most if not all of Jamal best plays have come 10-12yds from the line of scrimmage. Using him like OM use Tony Conner is probably his most effective position. I'm sure he can be effective in a center field role but he seems to be his best when he go downhill & attack.

BeastMan
10-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Good questions. You could say Peters was already playing the Matt Wells role against A&M. The package where he was playing is called the Cheetah defense & he was playing the Cheetah position. Named after Matt Wells. Most if not all of Jamal best plays have come 10-12yds from the line of scrimmage. Using him like OM use Tony Conner is probably his most effective position. I'm sure he can be effective in a center field role but he seems to be his best when he go downhill & attack.

I think that role is easier for him right now also where he can stay more attack oriented like you said. He's just such a rangy athlete my mind wonders to the next few years having a guy that elite athletically in the back to be able to play some cover 1 and him being able to effectively play it sideline to sideline.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-09-2015, 11:10 AM
I think that role is easier for him right now also where he can stay more attack oriented like you said. He's just such a rangy athlete my mind wonders to the next few years having a guy that elite athletically in the back to be able to play some cover 1 and him being able to effectively play it sideline to sideline.

The key to how soon the young guys (Peters, Bryant, & McLaurin) can play together is how quick can Bryant develop to call the defenses on the back end. Market & Coman make all the calls in the secondary. Brandon is really developing in that area but not quite there yet. When he gets comfortable with it then you'll see the young guys back there roaming around. Until then getting Peters in that Cheetah position gives us a chance to put more speed on the field & allows him to gain confidence.

LC Dawg
10-09-2015, 11:39 AM
The key to how soon the young guys (Peters, Bryant, & McLaurin) can play together is how quick can Bryant develop to call the defenses on the back end. Market & Coman make all the calls in the secondary. Brandon is really developing in that area but not quite there yet. When he gets comfortable with it then you'll see the young guys back there roaming around. Until then getting Peters in that Cheetah position gives us a chance to put more speed on the field & allows him to gain confidence.

That's not super comforting with Market out for the year. Do you see Bryant getting there in the next few games?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-09-2015, 11:43 AM
That's not super comforting with Market out for the year. Do you see Bryant getting there in the next few games?

I think he's not going to have a choice. He's going to be force fed that responsibility over the next few weeks. His growth from USM to A&M is great & I think you're going to see that continue at a rapid pace.

CadaverDawg
10-09-2015, 12:56 PM

I noticed Peters in that Conner type role a few times Saturday, and he looked good. He has tremendous closing speed for his size. I have no problem with him being in that role Bc A) it makes us better, and B) it can get Bryant and McLaurin on the field at the same time moving forward.

BB30
10-09-2015, 12:58 PM
I agree Cadaver, Peters is going to be a freak before it is all said and done. If we can have our corner situation figured out for next year our secondary has a chance to be very elite. We keep talking about physicality and that younger group seems to be a more physical group.

CadaverDawg
10-09-2015, 04:10 PM
What did you guys think about the forced fumbles Q&A? Does 7 fumbles given away vs only 7 fumbles forced mirror our entire outlook right now? Soft on both sides, including coaches. And how do you fix it mid season? I don't want us to turn into a Big 12 team. I want us to continue being "physical" MSU, like we're known for.

I had a former LSU player tell me he was never more sore than after a game vs MSU

Really Clark?
10-09-2015, 04:21 PM
What did you guys think about the forced fumbles Q&A? Does 7 fumbles given away vs only 7 fumbles forced mirror our entire outlook right now? Soft on both sides, including coaches. And how do you fix it mid season? I don't want us to turn into a Big 12 team. I want us to continue being "physical" MSU, like we're known for.

I had a former LSU player tell me he was never more sore than after a game vs MSU

I don't know. Obviously getting turnovers is a concern but I see LSU with only 2 forced fumbles this year and Bama with 3. We have 1 forced. Actual fumbles in a game we are tied with LSU with 5 total this year but that's not forced fumbles. Looking up and down the league it's a bit of a crap shoot as to who is creating a lot of force fumbles. Auburn has 7 and you can't say they are really a good physical defense. Maybe by the end of the year you can make a better case but it just seems sporadic some what throughout the league.

gravedigger
10-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Here is our MSU discussion http://3rdand57.com/key-msu-questions-trojans-week/

We also discussed the entire SEC http://3rdand57.com/around-the-sec-2/

Here are the MSU questions if anyone wants to weigh in:

1. In the loss to A&M we finally saw Dak tote the rock a little bit. He had 18 carries for 96 yards and a TD. Since we now know he is still capable of being a rushing threat in this offense, do we incorporate that into the game plans down the stretch?
of course, but as the defense allows. If they take it away with an 8 man box, you throw it. Dak running is not the object. Winning the game is.

2. MSU gets a much needed 3-game homestretch of very winnable games vs Troy, La Tech, and Kentucky. Do you think Mullen?s tries to establish an offensive identity over that stretch or will he just protect Dak for the stretch? What offensive identity should he be establishing?

He will do both.....eta he will work on being less predictable by running some more 'exotic' plays.

3. Manny Diaz?s defenses are known for turnovers and have created 7 which is good for 121st (out of 127) in the nation. The most alarming part of that stat is not seeing any strip attempts leading to MSU recovering 0 fumbles this year. Should MSU fans just be happy with a solid scoring defense (17.8 ppg) or should the lack of turnover be worrisome?

Somewhat worrisome. But not too alarming. Keeping opponents score down is the 1st priority.

1. The running backs seem to be the biggest topic of discussion this season among State fans. So far we?ve seen Shumpert, Holloway, Williams, and Lee. What is your assessment of the running back position after 5 games, and where do you see it progressing as we move forward throughout the rest of the season? Which guy has ?looked the part? the most to you?

I thought Lee should have been the starter from the beginning. I don't care about looks. Scores, first downs, yards.

2. The injury bug struck this past weekend with the loss of Kendrick Market for the season with an ACL. I hate that loss because Market embodies what a football player is all about and is a fan favorite. That being said, his injury raises an interesting question. We have 3 extremely talented young safeties in Bryant, Peters, and McLaurin, as well as a Junior Safety in Kivon Coman that will be returning next year. It?s early to look ahead, but how will MSU and Mullen find a way to get those 3 guys on the field at the same time moving forward, or will 1-2 of them be relegated to backup duty? With the 3 freshmen, you have to think that?s on their minds moving forward since they?re all heavily recruited and the same age. I have a feeling most MSU fans are curious to know as well, since there is already questions regarding getting the best personnel on the field together. Your thoughts?

I think they play evenly until one has a particularly bad game or a standout performance.

3. Many MSU fans have been screaming ?balance? all season in regards to our offense. Well, this past weekend we managed to have a lot more balance but still only scored 17 points. We?re starting to see a scary trend against good SEC teams where our offense isn?t scoring more than 17-20 points in those games. What do you attribute to the lack of scoring? (Play calling, too few possessions due to too much bending on D, offensive line play, lack of a running game?). What would YOU do as Offensive Coordinator to fix it?

Pass to set up the run and use the tight end earlier in sets of downs. Spread the field and then hit them with runs. Take some long shots down field and let Bear jump ball for them. Punish the other team for doing what every single reporter in the country predicted......that we would be overly dependent on Dak's legs.

Just my opinion

Todd4State
10-09-2015, 06:03 PM
My thoughts:

1. Uh, yeah.

2. I think Dan is going to try to find out who our best RB is and who are best safeties are. And in doing so I think he is going to try to identify our offensive identity as a balanced offense- but we need a more effective running game to do so.

3. I think turnovers on defense are luck to a degree and they seem to come in bunches. I also think some of the lack of turnovers goes back to our safeties because they are pretty much guys that while they may "make the play" too often that is a catch for 15 yards. I think playing Peters more will help with that some because of his athleticism and instincts. As far as the fumbles I think that goes back to our issues with tackling. How can you cause a fumble is you are having trouble wrapping up to start with? If we can tackle better, we get the opponent into third and long more and then they have to throw more which hopefully will lead to more opportunities for turnovers. And I think some of it is the style that our opponents play in that LSU, Auburn, and Northwestern State were pretty conservative run heavy teams. USM and Texas A&M were pass heavy and while we didn't create any turnovers against A&M we were able to create some against USM. I think we need to play JT Gray more over Zach Jackson because I think he would help in this area as well.

1. I really think Dontavian Lee has looked the best. He has the highest AVG per carry of the running backs excluding Malik Dear since we appear to be dead set on him being a slot WR. Lee runs angry.

2. We used Coman, Peters, and Bryant in the Cheetah package.

3. I think our offensive struggles all go back to not being able to run the ball consistently. I think it has really handcuffed Dan's play calling too. We talk about needing to throw it deep more- and I agree with that- but if you're Dan he's probably thinking "If I call a low percentage pass play on first down and we don't make the play, and then run it then we're in third and 8-9 most likely." If we have a guy at RB that can get five yards on second down consistently then I would think you would be more likely to take risks downfield. Plus when you're in third and long it causes to run a lot constraint plays to keep the drive going. So, if I was the OC, I would find a RB- actually I would use Williams and Lee as a tandem and I would find ways to get the ball to Malik Dear passing and running. I might consider using more traditional personnel packages to help with blocking too- two backs with Shumpert as the FB and Walley at TE to help with blocking.