PDA

View Full Version : Bjork: "We're not allowed to comment"

PassInterference
10-09-2015, 07:34 AM
Could any of you guys cite the NCAA rule that says a school isn't allowed to comment on an investigation? I'm almost certain there is no such rule.

Sure it makes a lot of sense not to comment. I'm positive their lawyers are telling them not to comment. That's Under Investigation 101.

But there's a huge difference between not allowed to comment and won't comment.

Rebel Nation is crying for answers and Ross will not own that Ole Miss is in full court press legal defensive mode. He won't own that their program is in all-out war with the NCAA.

When they want the public to think this is only about a loaner car, they talk. When they want people to think this isn't about the coaching staff, they talk. When they want people to think this is only about Tunsil, they talk.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-deafening-silence-surrounding-ole-misss-laremy-tunsil/

But when it becomes obvious that Tunsil's suspension is running longer than that of other superstars who took thousands in benefits, they have no comment. As it becomes obvious that Ole Miss must be a dire NCAA situation, they have no comment.

OM brass love to talk until the tables turn. Ole Miss PR is summed up nicely by The Eagles.

The flame rises but it soon descends
Empty pages and a frozen pen
You're not quite lovers and you're not quite friends
After the thrill is gone

Coach34
10-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Could any of you guys cite the NCAA rule that says a school isn't allowed to comment on an investigation? I'm almost certain there is no such rule.

Sure it makes a lot of sense not to comment. I'm positive their lawyers are telling them not to comment. That's Under Investigation 101.

There is no rule. Northern Miss is tight lipped because the NCAA is poking around all over. They are even checking into past ACT tests on some of their guys now.

WinningIsRelentless
10-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Can you say loic

BB30
10-09-2015, 08:46 AM
I think they are starting to realize this is quite a bit more in depth than any of them originally thought.

ShotgunDawg
10-09-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm starting believe Ole Miss may get their ass handed to them by the NCAA.

The NCAA doesn't spend this much time investigating unless they know things to be true but don't have conclusive proof yet. They also probably dont spend this much time investigating if the school is fully cooperating.

missouridawg
10-09-2015, 09:00 AM
When it passed 4 games, it got real. 4 games is what the NCAA typically punishes people for impermissible financial benefits totaling $700 or more. When it went to 5 games, it officially became something that all OM fans should be worried about.

basedog
10-09-2015, 09:00 AM
TSUN would be crazy to comment, very seldom do you see a school come out swinging when the NCAA comes a calling.

You never want to carry a knife into a gun fight!

BeardoMSU
10-09-2015, 09:05 AM
You never want to carry a knife into a gun fight!

A good philosophy to have, regardless....(@ 1:03)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEbpXnJGEq4t=1m3s

Jack Lambert
10-09-2015, 09:15 AM
I hope this all turns out to be Reggie Bush type deal. It would give vindication to old coach 34 for the shit he had to put up with a few years back.,

Jack Lambert
10-09-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm starting believe Ole Miss may get their ass handed to them by the NCAA.

The NCAA doesn't spend this much time investigating unless they know things to be true but don't have conclusive proof yet. They also probably dont spend this much time investigating if the school is fully cooperating.

They might have he proof but the proof open the door to other stuff.

cheewgumm
10-09-2015, 09:23 AM
They're just protecting Laremy. ****

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-09-2015, 09:44 AM
There is no rule. Northern Miss is tight lipped because the NCAA is poking around all over. They are even checking into past ACT tests on some of their guys now.

how do you know so many details about this subject?

sandwolf
10-09-2015, 09:57 AM
The NCAA doesn't spend this much time investigating unless they know things to be true but don't have conclusive proof yet.

It used to be pretty widely accepted that the NCAA didn't need proof. If they thought you did it, they would nail your ass with or without conclusive proof, and if you didn't like it, you could either conclusively prove your innocence or you could go join the other college athletic association. But over the past 10 or so years, as revenues have skyrocketed, that approach seems to have gone away......now it seems like they pretty much have to prove it, which would be awfully hard to do without having any type of subpoena power.

Anybody have any insight as to how they approach these investigations? How do they approach the interviews with boosters, etc. that they have no power over? I just don't know how they can effectively investigate without subpoena power.

Really Clark?
10-09-2015, 10:08 AM
It used to be pretty widely accepted that the NCAA didn't need proof. If they thought you did it, they would nail your ass with or without conclusive proof, and if you didn't like it, you could either conclusively prove your innocence or you could go join the other college athletic association. But over the past 10 or so years, as revenues have skyrocketed, that approach seems to have gone away......now it seems like they pretty much have to prove it, which would be awfully hard to do without having any type of subpoena power.

Anybody have any insight as to how they approach these investigations? How do they approach the interviews with boosters, etc. that they have no power over? I just don't know how they can effectively investigate without subpoena power.

They don't have to have subpoena power, this is not a court of law. They very much still take the stance that no cooperation can be an admission of guilt. They ask for something and you don't give it to them or not what they really want things drag out. Like Sydney. Like what appears to be happening with them. From accounts from UNM people, UNM, Freeze, Tunsil and his lawyers all went up their a few weeks ago to force the issue with the NCAA. They were basically spanked back to Mississippi with not a peep from the AD or coach about what went down and he still is not playing. The subpoena idea is is always brought up by schools being investigated and especially from our lawyer friends. It's an irrelavant issue because it's not a court case. While the NCAA has lost some power, they are back a full strength and looking to smack some schools.

Dawgowar
10-09-2015, 10:09 AM
The NCAA is developing a new M.O. with their investigations and punishments - see the latest on SMU's program. The article isn't anything new, but go through the imbedded NCAA report.

- multiple sports were put under the microscope and found guilty
- period of time went back 2-3 years
- punishment included show cause for coaches and administrators
- 3 scholarships lost per year is significant to a basketball program - that would equate to maybe 7-8 for a football team/ post season ban
- LOIC rampant and noted
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25321285/ncaa-hits-smu-with-postseason-ban

The high-water mark will be the UNC decision when it comes. If they did this to SMU for a much shorter period of violations than UNC, they had better inflict harsher penalties on the 'Heels. Conventional wisdom says the penalties will be announced in 2016. A roughly 3-4 year process from when the story went public to conclusion and punishment. With the 'one and done' culture of NCAA Basketball the investigation is not hurting that team yet. The football team has been feeling the effect of a multi-year investigation. I imagine our friends up north are just beginning to see this process will be a long, slow, and rumor filled march for the next two years before sanctions are handed down. That cannot help their 'style' of recruiting one bit. And frankly theirs will be a far more anxious waiting period than what they inflicted on us.

If/when UNM has to fully acknowledge the presence of an NCAA inquiry beyond Big Softie, the downward slope will begin in full. Last spring the NCAA released 756 pages on UNC and still no sanctions. It was about as damning a report as you could write up. The boys in Indianapolis are suddenly very risk averse when it comes to screwing up investigations. They need not just one, but multiple programs racked and stacked to prove they have successfully moved past the era of unspoken consent to cheating. The Miami fiasco can't be buried until several more programs feel the pain. UNM will be sandwiched in between a small school and a national powerhouse. Those results should be the high and low expectations for sanction if any.

And, as always - they remain teflon, albeit slightly cracked, until this happens.

basedog
10-09-2015, 10:14 AM
They don't have to have subpoena power, this is not a court of law. They very much still take the stance that no cooperation can be an admission of guilt. They ask for something and you don't give it to them or not what they really want things drag out. Like Sydney. Like what appears to be happening with them. From accounts from UNM people, UNM, Freeze, Tunsil and his lawyers all went up their a few weeks ago to force the issue with the NCAA. They were basically spanked back to Mississippi with not a peep from the AD or coach about what went down and he still is not playing. The subpoena idea is is always brought up by schools being investigated and especially from our lawyer friends. It's an irrelavant issue because it's not a court case. While the NCAA has lost some power, they are back a full strength and looking to smack some schools.

Not so sure Freeze went to see the NCAA, I also would be surprised if the AD went, I can see Big Softie and his attorney's going. I think TSUN is lying back in the background and doing their own thing while the NCAA is still around. Don't think it would be wise to force the issue with the NCAA.

notsofarawaydawg
10-09-2015, 10:25 AM

It has to be a major nightmare for their posse of lawyers who secretly are fighting this shit for them. I bet their prison boy is helping to fund their defense or secret warfare against the NCAA.

Really Clark?
10-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Not so sure Freeze went to see the NCAA, I also would be surprised if the AD went, I can see Big Softie and his attorney's going. I think TSUN is lying back in the background and doing their own thing while the NCAA is still around. Don't think it would be wise to force the issue with the NCAA.

May be it was just a contengent that went it Indianapolis and maybe the AD and Freeze have been calling and meeting in Oxford. They were saying they were trying to force the issue but that was coming from a bear who thinks they should have been telling the NCAA to take a leap.

Liverpooldawg
10-09-2015, 11:30 AM
The fallout from the botched Miami investigation took a lot out of the NCAA enforcement people. It took them time to get back on their feet. It's starting to look like they are back in business. I think the Confederates took the temporary lull to be the new reality. It may be about to bite them.

Really Clark?
10-09-2015, 11:33 AM
The fallout from the botched Miami investigation took a lot out of the NCAA enforcement people. It took them time to get back on their feet. It's starting to look like they are back in business. I think the Confederates took the temporary lull to be the new reality. It may be about to bite them.

The SMU deal should be a wake up call. They are looking to regain their teeth right now.

Dawgowar
10-09-2015, 11:49 AM

If they strike UNC with some hardcore punishments, not just the football team but the basketball program as well, then UNM should be very afraid.

starkvegasdawg
10-09-2015, 11:57 AM
http://www.woosk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/eightfoot.jpg

Political Hack
10-09-2015, 12:17 PM

I have some experience on the issue. You're right. They can't. In fact, the NCAA has never contacted me. Let me say that again... The NCAA has never contacted me, yet that didn't stop them from spewing BS assumptions about me. What started as "purchased a car for a player" ended up "he knew someone that knew the player and advised him on how to get a car at a decent price and through the game of Kevin Bacon's six degrees of separation. We're going to assume that the said booster somehow exercised some influence over the Ole Miss fan that owned the car lot and got him to give a steep discount on the car that was a re-paint (i.e., had been crashed and should've been well below blue book value based on that)."

They can do whatever the hell they want if your Ath and compliance departments don't stand up and fight it.

Mjoelner34
10-09-2015, 12:37 PM
They can do whatever the hell they want if your Ath and compliance departments don't stand up and fight it.

Except at MSU where it's:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/59/96/ab/5996ab02f69dfaa4ed831a7f76865fab.jpg

coastdoglover
10-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Shepard is in the same boat as Tunsil. Parents living in Oxford and NCAA investigated him as well. All of a sudden he sits out a game and questions why he didn't play. Next we know he has decided to quit football. You can rest assured the payoff was made. Got to give the rebs credit, they try and spin everything in their favor. The NCAA could care less how much they spin, I am firmly convinced unless the outfit is crooked, that the RebelBears are in deep shit.

BulldogBear
10-09-2015, 01:05 PM
To Bjork, Freeze, and whomever else it may concern:

I know we like to think of Lee Corso as a clown but we could all stand to listen to him on this:

He was asked to note the best advice he had ever received and he said, "My old football coach at Florida State, Tom Nugent, said, 'Never prostitute your integrity to get a job or keep one.' It's stuck with me ever since. If you have to prostitute your integrity, get out of that job as soon as possible, because if you don't, it will catch up to you. You'll get ahead, but it'll be temporary."

Really Clark?
10-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Shepard is in the same boat as Tunsil. Parents living in Oxford and NCAA investigated him as well. All of a sudden he sits out a game and questions why he didn't play. Next we know he has decided to quit football. You can rest assured the payoff was made. Got to give the rebs credit, they try and spin everything in their favor. The NCAA could care less how much they spin, I am firmly convinced unless the outfit is crooked, that the RebelBears are in deep shit.

He hasn't missed a game this season. Played in all five until he quit this week. But I do think the heat was definitely turning up.

sandwolf
10-10-2015, 01:41 AM
I have some experience on the issue. You're right. They can't. In fact, the NCAA has never contacted me. Let me say that again... The NCAA has never contacted me, yet that didn't stop them from spewing BS assumptions about me. What started as "purchased a car for a player" ended up "he knew someone that knew the player and advised him on how to get a car at a decent price and through the game of Kevin Bacon's six degrees of separation. We're going to assume that the said booster somehow exercised some influence over the Ole Miss fan that owned the car lot and got him to give a steep discount on the car that was a re-paint (i.e., had been crashed and should've been well below blue book value based on that)."

I was hoping that you might weigh in on this. That is surprising that you were never contacted by the NCAA......so I am assuming that you were contacted by our AD? And with regards to them spreading BS assumptions without ever having even talked to you, would that not qualify as slander?