PDA

View Full Version : Mullen just said

Dawgtini
10-08-2015, 08:02 PM
We were out physicaled at times against ATM and he never wants to see that again. Said it "was embarrassing". This coach still has fire and wants to win as bad as we do. Loved hearing it and glad he recognized it and therefore plans to rectify it..

starkvegasdawg
10-08-2015, 08:04 PM
We were out physicaled at times against ATM and he never wants to see that again. Said it "was embarrassing". This coach still has fire and wants to win as bad as we do. Loved hearing it and glad he recognized it and therefore plans to rectify it..

If I see Torry Dale out there in the first quarter along with every other backup...

msstate7
10-08-2015, 08:06 PM
Then start sending messages coach. See an upperclassman playing soft, sit em... Do the same for underclassmen too

War Machine Dawg
10-08-2015, 08:34 PM

http://i.imgur.com/W6jVa0w.gif

CadaverDawg
10-08-2015, 08:39 PM
We are soft. Period. On both sides of the ball.

You want a stat that screams "soft"? We have forced 0 fumbles defensively, but have lost 7 fumbles offensively. We. Are. Soft.

A couple things we have always been able to say at MSU....we will run the ball, we will stop the run, and you will be sore after playing us. We've got to regain our toughness.

Leroy Jenkins
10-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Underwhelming. Two weeks ago he said we don't worry about balance. Last week balance is important again..... Now we are soft.

Dont tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. Win.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Dont tell me about the labor pains, just show me the baby. Win.

Ha, love that

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 08:43 PM

You want a stat that screams "soft"? We have forced 0 fumbles defensively, but have lost 7 fumbles offensively. We. Are. Soft.

A couple things we have always been able to say at MSU....we will run the ball, we will stop the run, and you will be sore after playing us. We've got to regain our toughness.

I think much of a team's toughness is comes from how they play on offense. We need to start playing more physical on offense & that will bleed over to defense.

It's hard to be a physical football team when you are running Hal Mumme or Mike Leach's offense.

IMissJack
10-08-2015, 08:49 PM
I think much of a team's toughness is comes from how they play on offense. We need to start playing more physical on offense & that will bleed over to defense.

It's hard to be a physical football team when you are running Hal Mumme or Mike Leach's offense.
Starts with the O Line...

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Starts with the O Line...

Agree. Once they start gelling, it will change everything.

Bass Chaser
10-08-2015, 08:58 PM
The more I think about it I think we miss Day maybe the most. His intensity and attitude on the field was infectious.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 09:01 PM
The more I think about it I think we miss Day maybe the most. His intensity and attitude on the field was infectious.

Throw Beckwith in there as well. Both of those guys were nasty bastards.

That being said, WE WILL figure this out. I think you see a different team take the field either against Kentucky or at Missouri than we've seen all year. This team is close

mparkerfd20
10-08-2015, 09:07 PM
We peaked early last year. We peak late this year and go undefeated the rest of the way.

Because I said so.

msstate7
10-08-2015, 09:09 PM
We peaked early last year. We peak late this year and go undefeated the rest of the way.

Because I said so.

There is hope. We played better down the stretch in '13

Tripp McNeely
10-08-2015, 09:15 PM

Because I said so.

Boom!

CadaverDawg
10-08-2015, 09:16 PM

Because I said so.

Sounds good to me

GreenheadDawg
10-08-2015, 09:19 PM

It's also hard for defensive players to play with aggression when you run a ***** scheme

CadaverDawg
10-08-2015, 09:23 PM
It's also hard for defensive players to play with aggression when you run a ***** scheme

No doubt.

Barking 13
10-08-2015, 09:24 PM

Because I said so. And that's the bottom line!

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 09:26 PM

Do we run a ***** scheme?

In the first quarter we may, but, after that, I've seen Diaz call more aggressive defenses than any DC we've had in years

msstate7
10-08-2015, 09:27 PM

In the first quarter we may, but, after that, I've seen Diaz call more aggressive defenses than any DC we've had in years

I wish Diaz was as good at game planning as he is at half time adjustments

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 09:28 PM
I think being physical is a mentality.

Check this out

SEC Country ‏@SEC_Country_ 39s39 seconds ago View translation
Most Penalties: #SEC

1) LSU - 35
2)Alabama, Arkansas - 34
4) Florida - 33
5) Ole Miss - 32

The penalty standings in the SEC are almost in order of the actual standing, except Arkansas

Barking 13
10-08-2015, 09:30 PM

It's not Bend don't Break, it's now score all you want the first quarter and we have three quarters to catch up...

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 09:33 PM
I wish Diaz was as good at game planning as he is at half time adjustments

I agree with that. I think Diaz plays base for the first few series in an effort to understand what the other team is doing.

What I wish he would do is come out blitzing, like he does in the 2nd half, & help us get an early lead in the game.

I'm honestly not sure what is more important in the SEC this year. Being the home team or scoring first.

In all these games, it seems like the team that scores first, set the tone of the game & wins.

MSU vs LSU - LSU scored first
MSU vs Auburn - MSU scored first
MSU vs A&M - A&M scored first
Alabama Georgia - Alabama scored first
Alabama Ole Miss - Ole Miss scored first
Ole Miss Florida - Florida scored first.

In all these big SEC games, the team that scored first pretty much controlled the entire game. That should be the goal

smootness
10-08-2015, 09:48 PM

Check this out

1) LSU - 35
2)Alabama, Arkansas - 34
4) Florida - 33
5) Ole Miss - 32

The penalty standings in the SEC are almost in order of the actual standing, except Arkansas

This is true of Seattle as well. They're the most physical team in the NFL and also generally the most penalized, and they really don't care about penalties, so long as they're due to aggression and not stupidity.

msstate7
10-08-2015, 09:52 PM

Check this out

1) LSU - 35
2)Alabama, Arkansas - 34
4) Florida - 33
5) Ole Miss - 32

I think lsu has decided to just hold every play along the oline. Guess they figure the refs aren't gonna call holding every play, so they'll get away with a ton of them

Tbonewannabe
10-08-2015, 09:52 PM
I agree with that. I think Diaz plays base for the first few series in an effort to understand what the other team is doing.

What I wish he would do is come out blitzing, like he does in the 2nd half, & help us get an early lead in the game.

I'm honestly not sure what is more important in the SEC this year. Being the home team or scoring first.

In all these games, it seems like the team that scores first, set the tone of the game & wins.

MSU vs LSU - LSU scored first
MSU vs Auburn - MSU scored first
MSU vs A&M - A&M scored first
Alabama Georgia - Alabama scored first
Alabama Ole Miss - Ole Miss scored first
Ole Miss Florida - Florida scored first.

In all these big SEC games, the team that scored first pretty much controlled the entire game. That should be the goal

Mullen coaches great with a lead at halftime. All our losses were decided in the first half.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Mullen coaches great with a lead at halftime. All our losses were decided in the first half.

Does Mullen have a 2nd half, comeback win in the last 3 years?

Homedawg
10-08-2015, 10:08 PM
I think lsu has decided to just hold every play along the oline. Guess they figure the refs aren't gonna call holding every play, so they'll get away with a ton of them

I think that is absolutely a correct statement. Take it to the edge. You get away w way way more than you are called for. Net gain is worth it.

DancingRabbit
10-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Does Mullen have a 2nd half, comeback win in the last 3 years?

Last year vs Arkansas.

NCDawg
10-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Agree. Once they start gelling, it will change everything.

Double agree.

mic
10-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Well let's win the **** out then...

Drugdog
10-09-2015, 06:22 AM

Excellent point. We are allergic to creating turnovers.

GreenheadDawg
10-09-2015, 07:07 AM

Yeh I think we do run a ***** scheme. Does anybody have the numbers on how many blitzed we have used? Drop the safeties 60 yards down the field so nobody throws the bomb and play zone. While we are at it lets get Z. Jackson to cover a couple slot receivers. That will be awesome. If you think we run an aggressive defense then I don't really know what to say but you I know you are smarter than that.

Dawgtini
10-09-2015, 07:13 AM

Because I said so.

This. It is coming. It was slower than we had hoped but it is coming like a freight train on a down hill run.

starkvegasdawg
10-09-2015, 07:19 AM
Not counting the Northwestern State game I ran the numbers and we average giving up 5 fewer points per game in the second half than we do the first half. The Auburn and USM games we did give up more second half points than first half, but against A&M we have up 24 first half against only 6 second half. It does seem that after halftime he makes the needed adjustments to shut the other team down, but it seems to me to indicate that we go in week in and week out with a piss poor game plan that does not work and then we are forced to make adjustments. One factor I have not looked at is are we still subbing as liberally in the second half as we do the first. I know I have seen backups playing on the opening drive in games. To me, that is the most infuriating thing we do. Guys like Torrey Dale should not see the field on the opening drive against A&M or any other team for that matter. We play 4 OOC games a year and most of them are against less than stellar talent. That's a 1/3 of the season. Those are the games you get your backups experience against. Not against top 10 ranked teams on the road on the opening drive. But that seems to be a permanent fixture of our coaching philosophy so I don't guess it does any good to complain about it. It is what it is. We're going to play the scrubs against everybody regardless of situation come hell or high water. I think playing non-starters and players that shouldn't be starters cost us games last year and can be argued cost us games this year.

BrunswickDawg
10-09-2015, 07:33 AM
Not counting the Northwestern State game I ran the numbers and we average giving up 5 fewer points per game in the second half than we do the first half. The Auburn and USM games we did give up more second half points than first half, but against A&M we have up 24 first half against only 6 second half. It does seem that after halftime he makes the needed adjustments to shut the other team down, but it seems to me to indicate that we go in week in and week out with a piss poor game plan that does not work and then we are forced to make adjustments. One factor I have not looked at is are we still subbing as liberally in the second half as we do the first. I know I have seen backups playing on the opening drive in games. To me, that is the most infuriating thing we do. Guys like Torrey Dale should not see the field on the opening drive against A&M or any other team for that matter. We play 4 OOC games a year and most of them are against less than stellar talent. That's a 1/3 of the season. Those are the games you get your backups experience against. Not against top 10 ranked teams on the road on the opening drive. But that seems to be a permanent fixture of our coaching philosophy so I don't guess it does any good to complain about it. It is what it is. We're going to play the scrubs against everybody regardless of situation come hell or high water. I think playing non-starters and players that shouldn't be starters cost us games last year and can be argued cost us games this year.
It seems to be that Dan has been looking for different ways to keep the team fresh for the 4th quarter - something that was a major problem before 1A/1B. How many times from 2009-2013 were we just gassed by the 4th against the big boys? Pretty much every game. He committed to 1A/1B last year, and it helped but exposed flaws. In games our O was clicking it didn't hurt us. This year, 1A/1B has morphed into more of a blend in the first half, but you can't argue too much with the results in the second half so far. If our O starts clicking, I think we see the impacts even more.

BB30
10-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Yeh I think we do run a ***** scheme. Does anybody have the numbers on how many blitzed we have used? Drop the safeties 60 yards down the field so nobody throws the bomb and play zone. While we are at it lets get Z. Jackson to cover a couple slot receivers. That will be awesome. If you think we run an aggressive defense then I don't really know what to say but you I know you are smarter than that.

We blitzed the entire 2nd,3rd and 4 qtr save about 45 seconds before half against a and m thats all we did. Why we quit and played soft right at the half I don't know. I don't think necessarily blitzing is going to always translate into more physical. We badly need a Fred Smoot or Pig, someone with a bunch of energy that is bad ass and will get the defense up.

lawdawg
10-09-2015, 08:39 AM
If I see Torry Dale out there in the first quarter along with every other backup...

They started near midfield. We rushed 3 until they got in the red zone, two of whom were Torrey Dale and Nelson Adams. Makes ZERO sense. Which is exactly how much pressure those 3 got - ZERO.

You knew they would be passing. Why not get your best pass rushers on the field?

bgover4
10-09-2015, 08:54 AM
I don't EVER want to hear that we were out-physicaled by A&M. Reading that just pisses me off mostly because it is the truth and the team should be embarrassed and ashamed.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-09-2015, 10:52 AM

Unfortunately, in the SEC West you have to play 4 quarters to win. Three ain't going to get it (see LSU & aTm).

TaleofTwoDogs
10-09-2015, 10:56 AM

Because I said so.

Cool. The power of ED knows no bounds.

BulldogBear
10-09-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't EVER want to hear that we were out-physicaled by A&M. Reading that just pisses me off mostly because it is the truth and the team should be embarrassed and ashamed.
+1

NCDawg
10-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Yeah, what happened to our playing with unbelievable relentless effort?

CadaverDawg
10-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Yeah, what happened to our playing with unbelievable relentless effort?

Mullen used up his "strain" on a pregame bathroom break.

starkvegasdawg
10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Mullen used up his "strain" on a pregame bathroom break.

Must have confused an Imodium with a Dulcolax.