PDA

View Full Version : How long can LSU keep winning without Harris having to make a play with his arm?

CadaverDawg
10-08-2015, 07:25 PM
I still think LSU could lose 3 games this year, bc eventually teams are going to be able to score some points while loading the box. Surely LSU can't ride this formula to a West Title, can they? I don't think their D is good enough.

HancockCountyDog
10-08-2015, 07:27 PM
I still think LSU could lose 3 games this year, bc eventually teams are going to be able to score some points while loading the box. Surely LSU can't ride this formula to a West Title, can they? I don't think their D is good enough.

Bama is going to destroy LSU.

LSU will struggle with bears because somehow the bears always seem to win that game at home.

They let Eastern Michigan hang around until the 4th quarter.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 07:34 PM
LSU will lose two games.

They will most certainly lose to Bama & then they'll lose one more to either A&M, Arkansas, or Ole Miss.

Arkansas could be a problem for them just because that game will last about an 1 1/2 hours. Both teams will run the ball & the clock will fly. Final score could be 10-7 & whenever it's that close, whichever team fumbles or gives up a big play will lose.

Saltydog
10-08-2015, 07:38 PM
You won't beat Bama running it straight at them and it's in Tuscaloosa. I think it could get ugly. You'd think in some of the ooc games they'd let Harris sling it to maybe get some confidence but they don't it. They just keep on giving it to Fournette. All those carries will take its toll towards the end of the season.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 07:42 PM
You won't beat Bama running it straight at them and it's in Tuscaloosa. I think it could get ugly. You'd think in some of the ooc games they'd let Harris sling it to maybe get some confidence but they don't it. They just keep on giving it to Fournette. All those carries will take its toll towards the end of the season.

The Alabama vs LSU game will be very similar to the Georgia/ Alabama, except LSU a little better than Georgia. The only teams that can beat Bama are teams that are willing to take the risk to stretch them vertically. You can't beat Bama at their own game & that's what LSU will try to do.

Bama 19 LSU13

CadaverDawg
10-08-2015, 07:50 PM

I agree

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Y'all may be right, but Fornette is the best RB I've seen in person since Hershal and Bo. If he stays healthy they will be very hard to beat.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Y'all may be right, but Fornette is the best RB I've seen in person since Hershal and Bo. If he stays healthy they will be very hard to beat.

Has nothing to do with Fournette. It's about the Bama DL & LBs verse LSU's o-line with no threat of the pass.

If LSU has any chance in this game, they will have to at least allow Harris to throw 6-8 play action bombs.

msstate7
10-08-2015, 08:03 PM
I think lsu could struggle to run vs bama too, but lsu ran for 183 last year vs them including 79 by LF. I think LF could really challenge the bama front 7 if lsu can keep this game close enough to keep hammering away at bama. Lsu can't fall behind by more than a score.

Dawgtini
10-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Until they play bama. We were really the only other team that matched up well on O and D and we weren't ready. They can run at will on everyone else.

msstate7
10-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Until they play bama. We were really the only other team that matched up well on O and D and we weren't ready. They can run at will on everyone else.

Florida could give them trouble. Florida's can bring a safety in the box and still shut down lsu passing.

Jack Lambert
10-08-2015, 08:20 PM
Hell let's not forget they almost and should have lost to us.

Schultzy
10-08-2015, 08:21 PM
I think Harris throws it ok, I don't know why people aren't impressed with him and he certainly is mobile but they need some receivers who can catch it over the middle - the guys I've seen for them are stretch the field only guys.

Their dbs tackle well too.

Don't let one blowout over choke masters Georgia fool you, Lsu will win the west.

gravedigger
10-08-2015, 08:21 PM

He's not close to walker or bo. Emmit was better at finding holes. Mcfadden at ark was every bit as good. Ricky williams was mor dominant. I could go on forever. Fournette is just bigger and more dominant than his contemporaries. But he isnt near the class of walker and bo.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Florida could give them trouble. Florida's can bring a safety in the box and still shut down lsu passing.

Agree, I didn't think about Florida.

Florida will give them a run. LSU will have to battle in every game.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2015, 08:23 PM
He's not close to walker or bo. Emmit was better at finding holes. Mcfadden at ark was every bit as good. Ricky williams was mor dominant. I could go on forever. Fournette is just bigger and more dominant than his contemporaries. But he isnt near the class of walker and bo.

Maybe so. Time will tell.

Jarius
10-08-2015, 08:25 PM
McFadden couldn't hold LF's jock strap.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 08:27 PM

I disagree, but I think Peterson is a better comparison. IMO, Peterson has better breakaway speed than Fournette but Fournette has better feet & is more shifty. Both have similar physicality.

As Fournette compares to Emmitt, Fournette is faster & bigger with similar vision. Smith was a very good running back on great teams that stayed healthy. As for raw talent, I'll take Fournette everyday.

In comparison to McFaddon, Fournette has similar speed, but is far more shifty & presents a more physical style of running. McFaddon's running style is more like a Derrick Henry to me. If a hole is there, Henry looks all world, but he has trouble creating for himself. Henry & McFaddon are NBA 3 point shooters than can't create their own shot. Fournette is more like Kobe or Lebron in that he can create positive yardage or a big play when nothing is there.

Schultzy
10-08-2015, 08:33 PM
I'm putting Fournette up there with H&B. It's Herschel and Bo that were bigger than the opposing defensive linemen and linebackers.

Not so much with the huge DL and LB's these days for Fournette.

smootness
10-08-2015, 08:34 PM
I disagree, but I think Peterson is a better comparison. IMO, Peterson has better breakaway speed than Fournette but Fournette has better feet & is more shifty. Both have similar physicality.

As Fournette compares to Emmitt, Fournette is faster & bigger with similar vision. Smith was a very good running back on great teams that stayed healthy. As for raw talent, I'll take Fournette everyday.

In comparison to McFaddon, Fournette has similar speed, but is far more shifty & presents a more physical style of running. McFaddon's running style is more like a Derrick Henry to me. If a hole is there, Henry looks all world, but he has trouble creating for himself. Henry & McFaddon are NBA 3 point shooters than can't create their own shot. Fournette is more like Kobe or Lebron in that he can create positive yardage or a big play when nothing is there.

I agree with the Peterson comparison. I think Gurley is actually more talented than Fournette. Gurley is probably the most naturally talented RB I've seen since Ricky Williams; I consider Williams to be more talented than Peterson.

In terms of all-time, my rankings go like this (on pure talent):
1. Marcus Dupree
2. Barry Sanders
3. Herschel Walker
4. Bo Jackson

After that, it gets tricky. Fournette and Gurley could establish themselves among the top of the next tier, with guys like Emmitt, Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, etc.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 08:40 PM
I agree with the Peterson comparison. I think Gurley is actually more talented than Fournette. Gurley is probably the most naturally talented RB I've seen since Ricky Williams; I consider Williams to be more talented than Peterson.

In terms of all-time, my rankings go like this (on pure talent):
1. Marcus Dupree
2. Barry Sanders
3. Herschel Walker
4. Bo Jackson

After that, it gets tricky. Fournette and Gurley could establish themselves among the top of the next tier, with guys like Emmitt, Tomlinson, Ricky Williams, etc.

This is a good debate, but I disagree.

Think Gurley runs a little more upright than Fournette & isn't as shifty behind the line. I think Ricky Williams had similar shiftiness but I believe Fournette is faster.

IMO, above all else, the single component that makes Fournette so special is he is so light on his feet & has such quick feet for a big man that can also take a pounding.

Emmitt had the shiftiness but not the size or speed as Fournette.

Gurely had the size & speed but not quite the shiftiness.

It's a special skill set that he has.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Sanders wasn't in Bo or Herschal's league in college. It's hard to place Dupree because he flamed out everywhere he ever went. He truely is the best that never was.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2015, 08:57 PM
It's hard to place Dupree because he flamed out everywhere he ever went. He truely is the best that never was.

I've never completely understood the Dupree love because 1. He was before my time & 2. He was a flame out.

I mean, how much different is Dupree's career than Donte Walker's?

But for some reason Dupree is praised & Walker is made fun of

msstate7
10-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Sanders wasn't in Bo or Herschal's league in college. It's hard to place Dupree because he flamed out everywhere he ever went. He truely is the best that never was.

Bo's junior year at auburn...
278 att 1786 yards 6.4/carry 17 td

Walker's junior year at Georgia...
335 att 1752 yds 5.2/carry 16 td

Sanders' junior year at Osu...
344 att. 2628 yds 7.6/carry 37 td

Schultzy
10-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Sanders was so different than Heschel and Bo. And Emmett different than Sanders.

Herschel best college RB

Bo best pro RB

Sanders and Emmett both awesome for different reasons...

Then there's all the rest IMO

Time will tell on Fournette but he's positioned himself to be in this group.

Liverpooldawg
10-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Bo's junior year at auburn...
278 att 1786 yards 6.4/carry 17 td

Walker's junior year at Georgia...
335 att 1752 yds 5.2/carry 16 td

Sanders' junior year at Osu...
344 att. 2628 yds 7.6/carry 37 td
I stand by my statement. I knew that Sanders had far better stats.

msstate7
10-08-2015, 09:17 PM
I stand by my statement. I knew that Sanders had far better stats.

I think sanders belongs in that group. He may not have been the physical specimen that bo and Hershel were, but he was every bit as effective

Dawgtini
10-09-2015, 07:09 AM
Walter Payton
/thread

LC Dawg
10-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Did everyone catch the Herschel Walker segment on SEC Nation Saturday? One thing that can't be debated is that Herschel is a class act.

http://www.secsports.com/video/13797163/herschel-walker-weighs-today-star-running-backs

bgover4
10-09-2015, 08:41 AM
All the greats were great but don't forget to compare the competition. Back in those decades the defenses weren't built anything like they are nowdays. The defense out there is now would dwarf those Defense and they still manage to be faster. Any back putting up even close to comparable numbers in todays games is a beast. Fornette and Gurley both would have demolished the D's that Bo and Emmet and Hershal played against. If you don't think so go back and watch the Defense on some of those highlights. Small and slow ... its almost embarassing.

Maroonthirteen
10-09-2015, 09:27 AM
I think Harris throws it ok, I don't know why people aren't impressed with him and he certainly is mobile but they need some receivers who can catch it over the middle - the guys I've seen for them are stretch the field only guys.

Their dbs tackle well too.

Don't let one blowout over choke masters Georgia fool you, Lsu will win the west.

I agree. Y'all are under selling Harris. He and his WRs are good enough to win the game throwing if Bama sells out to stop the run.

However, I think it is a very close game with Bama winning. LSU beats OM. Bama wins the west...unfortunately.