PDA

View Full Version : How would you try to spread around the touches on offense?

Irondawg
10-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Right now we are averaging 66 plays on offense per game. How would attempt to split those up?

Here's my stab at it:

RUSHING (30 carries)

Dak - 10 carries
Williams - 9 carries
Lee - 4 carries
Dear - 4 carries
Holloway - 2 carries
Myles - 1 carry

RECEIVING TARGETS (36 passes)

Bear - 8
Ross - 7
Myles - 4
Dear - 4
Gray - 3
Brown - 2
Walley - 2
Williams - 2
Holloway - 2
Johnson - 1
Shump - 1

LC Dawg
10-08-2015, 03:31 PM
The first thing I would like to see happen is increase that 66 to at least 75.
Also, I think you have to target Bear at least 10 times a game. He is too much of a mismatch.

missouridawg
10-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Is Myles going to play this weekend?

drummerdawg
10-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Right now we are averaging 66 plays on offense per game. How would attempt to split those up?

Here's my stab at it:

RUSHING (30 carries)

Dak - 10 carries
Williams - 9 carries
Lee - 4 carries
Dear - 4 carries
Holloway - 2 carries
Myles - 1 carry

Dak - 9 carries
Lee - 9 carries
Williams - 5 carries
Dear - 4 carries
Holloway - 2 carries
Myles - 1 carry

smootness
10-08-2015, 04:25 PM

Here's my stab at it:

RUSHING (30 carries)

Dak - 10 carries
Williams - 9 carries
Lee - 4 carries
Dear - 4 carries
Holloway - 2 carries
Myles - 1 carry

RECEIVING TARGETS (36 passes)

Bear - 8
Ross - 7
Myles - 4
Dear - 4
Gray - 3
Brown - 2
Walley - 2
Williams - 2
Holloway - 2
Johnson - 1
Shump - 1

I don't think it should be nearly that spread-out. I would like Dak to run it 10-15 times, with Williams and Dear getting 5-10 each and Holloway getting one here and there.

In terms of receiving targets, it should be primarily Wilson and Ross, about 8-12 each. The rest should be split up between Brown, Gray, Dear, and a couple to a TE.

DancingRabbit
10-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Let's assume we're talking about the Kentucky game since the next two games won't be normal SEC games.

Since we're told that it's unlikely Dear will play the RB position, I'll assume we'll only see him on jet sweeps or motion him into the backfield.

I'll echo that it would be nice to run more plays, let's say at least 70 plays. Also, you obviously have to throw it to whoever is open except on screen plays you can usually get it to your targeted receiver.

RUSHING (32 carries)

Dak - 12 carries
Williams - 8 carries (+/- depending on effectiveness)
Lee - 5 carries (+/- depending on effectiveness)
Dear - 3 carries
Holloway - 2 carries
Shump - 2 carries

RECEIVING TARGETS (38 passes)

Bear - 10
Ross - 6
Dear - 5
Brown - 4
Gray - 4
Myles - 3
Walley - 2
Shump - 2

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 05:26 PM
I'd target Ross more than Bear. He's open more often & doesn't tap out near as much.

smootness
10-08-2015, 05:28 PM
I'd target Ross more than Bear. He's open more often & doesn't tap out near as much.

Uh oh. Here comes C34 to cuss you out.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 05:30 PM
Uh oh. Here comes C34 to cuss you out.

I love Bear but Ross is more reliable. Bear has the bigger WOW factor but Ross is the go to guy.

Todd4State
10-08-2015, 05:51 PM

What? I can't recall any snaps that he has missed other than Northwestern State when the game was in complete control.

Not to mention the fact that I am pretty sure that Ross has more drops than Bear does this year. I'm not even sure if Fred Ross is better than Gabe Myles when Gabe is healthy.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 06:16 PM
What? I can't recall any snaps that he has missed other than Northwestern State when the game was in complete control.

Not to mention the fact that I am pretty sure that Ross has more drops than Bear does this year. I'm not even sure if Fred Ross is better than Gabe Myles when Gabe is healthy.

Bear ask out the game a pretty decent amount. As far as drops between Ross & Bear it's pretty even Ross may have 1 or 2 more. When is the last time Fred has dropped a pass?

MSUDeltadawg1971
10-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Is it true that Dak and Ross work out after practice and when other receivers try to join in they're told no? Don't shoot me, just something I heard today from a pretty good source.

Todd4State
10-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Bear ask out the game a pretty decent amount. As far as drops between Ross & Bear it's pretty even Ross may have 1 or 2 more. When is the last time Fred has dropped a pass?

Ross had several drops against USM and LSU.

It's just weird to me that you think a guy that has fewer TD's than his back-up is our go to guy. Not to mention the fact that pretty much any time Bear catches the ball it's a first down. It's also weird to me that you contend that our best blocking WR who is also our most physical WR checks out of games a lot.

mstatefan91
10-08-2015, 10:40 PM
We need more plays. The 3 and outs are killing us.

Need to be able to run the ball and chew up chunks of time. Until that happens, the 3 and outs with 1 minute or less of possession will continue to happen.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Ross had several drops against USM and LSU.

It's just weird to me that you think a guy that has fewer TD's than his back-up is our go to guy. Not to mention the fact that pretty much any time Bear catches the ball it's a first down. It's also weird to me that you contend that our best blocking WR who is also our most physical WR checks out of games a lot.

So not in the last 3 games correct? So it's weird that the guy with 33 catches is considered the go to guy over the guy with 19 catches? Bear avg 14ypc & Ross avg 10ypc so they both avg a 1st per catch. You're acting like I said Bear was trash & shouldn't be playing. Bear is our big play guy but Ross is the go to guy. I don't see how that's controversial or inaccurate.

mstatefan91
10-08-2015, 11:03 PM
The better question is: why are you two arguing over who the go to guy is? lol

Todd4State
10-08-2015, 11:06 PM
So not in the last 3 games correct? So it's weird that the guy with 33 catches is considered the go to guy over the guy with 19 catches? Bear avg 14ypc & Ross avg 10ypc so they both avg a 1st per catch. You're acting like I said Bear was trash & shouldn't be playing. Bear is our big play guy but Ross is the go to guy. I don't see how that's controversial or inaccurate.

Historically speaking the slot WR has always gotten more touches than the outside guys- nature of the position in Dan's offense. I don't think you are saying that Bear is trash- I just think that it's weird that you say that he taps out a lot. I'm usually pretty good on picking up on guys not giving 100% all the time- and no one else other than you appears to have noticed that as well.

Anyway- all I'll say is if I was a QB and I had a choice between throwing it to Bear or Ross- I'm throwing it to Bear 9/10 times assuming he's not triple covered or something ridiculous like that. It's only controversial because Bear is a better player, has fewer drops, a higher YPC and more TD's.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Historically speaking the slot WR has always gotten more touches than the outside guys- nature of the position in Dan's offense. I don't think you are saying that Bear is trash- I just think that it's weird that you say that he taps out a lot. I'm usually pretty good on picking up on guys not giving 100% all the time- and no one else other than you appears to have noticed that as well.

Anyway- all I'll say is if I was a QB and I had a choice between throwing it to Bear or Ross- I'm throwing it to Bear 9/10 times assuming he's not triple covered or something ridiculous like that. It's only controversial because Bear is a better player, has fewer drops, a higher YPC and more TD's.

Well if the slot guy is targeted more isn't that by definition the go to guy? If 1 WR has almost twice as many catches as the next closest guy wouldn't that be considered the go to guy? I never said Bear ask out a lot I said a decent amount. You can ask out & be tired while giving 100%. It doesn't have to be 1 or the other. If you think Bear should be targeted more than Fred that's fine I never argued or stated otherwise. I just said I would target Fred more. I didn't think that was too controversial I guess you did.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 11:23 PM
The better question is: why are you two arguing over who the go to guy is? lol

Wasn't my choice or intention I promise you.

Pokechop Womack
10-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Personally, I think Dak needs to touch the ball every snap...

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Personally, I think Dak needs to touch the ball every snap...

Winner

Dawgfan77
10-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Is it true that Dak and Ross work out after practice and when other receivers try to join in they're told no? Don't shoot me, just something I heard today from a pretty good source.

I have a hard time believing this. IFYOK might want to chime in on this one