PDA

View Full Version : Ranking SEC QBs thus far

justwin
10-08-2015, 10:05 AM
1. Grier. Several big wins, clutch moments. Gamer
2. Allen @ TXAM. undefeated, clutch moments running and passing.
3. Coker. Beat UGA and rallied team vs OM, taking over the team
4. Kelly. Beat Bama
5. Dak. needs some signature wins. Will his legacy be beating Bama? Can he & Mullen learn from last year (s) that running up the middle won't work vs Bama with a QB or puny RB, but only with a big power RB like Lee & Williams?
6. Harris & Towles. Harris has LF & Towles has KY @ 4-1 (ugly, but 4-1 nonetheless)

what say you? How will this look going into Nov?

BB30
10-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Not being a homer but even though kelly beat bama what has he done other than that. Decent numbers but has turned the ball over several times since the bama game and should have had 2 picks in the bama game. Frankly, Kelly has played pretty bad and made some pretty poor decisions in their big games. Lucked up against bama and florida made him pay. Grier is really coming on and he has a lot more talent around him than most people thought going into the season. Allen is good with a ton of playmakers around him as well. Coker has surprised me this year and looked pretty good. I think Harris is better than a lot of people are giving him credit for, he made several throws against us that got called back and had several drops last week and against Syracuse. He really has not made that many poor decisions when he has had the opportunity to throw.

justwin
10-08-2015, 10:24 AM
agree. I only have Harris that high since he has LF to hand to. I hear you on Kelly, but he beat Bama, & his OL is chit right now. Lucky for them they have 2 weeks to get healthy.

I don't know what to think of Dak this year. Shump has really killed him with the two big drops and blindness to find the holes. I can't tell if the same fire is there with Dak like last year. Jury still out to see if he can be top 3.

Not being a homer but even though kelly beat bama what has he done other than that. Decent numbers but has turned the ball over several times since the bama game and should have had 2 picks in the bama game. Frankly, Kelly has played pretty bad and made some pretty poor decisions in their big games. Lucked up against bama and florida made him pay. Grier is really coming on and he has a lot more talent around him than most people thought going into the season. Allen is good with a ton of playmakers around him as well. Coker has surprised me this year and looked pretty good. I think Harris is better than a lot of people are giving him credit for, he made several throws against us that got called back and had several drops last week and against Syracuse. He really has not made that many poor decisions when he has had the opportunity to throw.

BB30
10-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Yea, Shump should have caught both of those balls. The throw in the TAMU game I think was as much on Dak as it was on Shump if Dak puts that ball out in front instead of behind him it is probably a TD or a very big gain. And that is another play in my opinion that was a great play call and wide open that our guys just didn't execute. If we execute just a few more plays our offensive output looks a lot different that is why I feel you can't put it all on Dan and his play calling. Hopefully Dak and co can win the games we are supposed to and find a way to upset Bama.

LC Dawg
10-08-2015, 10:41 AM
If you are basing it strictly on big wins then I guess I can agree but otherwise I'd say Dak has played as well as Coker and Kelly. Coker didn't play lights out against Ole Miss he just played better than the starter and Coker didn't beat Georgia, Henry and Bama's defense did. Kelly did beat Bama but he benefited greatly from two big pass plays that shouldn't have happened and Bama turned it over 5 times. Against good defenses he has struggled some. Dak has thrown 176 passes this year without an interception. He just ran for over 100 yards against A&M. Dak obviously isn't playing as well as he can but I don't think he's playing any worse than Coker or Kelly. I'm sure some of my opinion is because I see things through maroon glasses. I would like to see Dak turn it up a few notches going into November and then add a Bama win to his resume.

BB30
10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
If you are basing it strictly on big wins then I guess I can agree but otherwise I'd say Dak has played as well as Coker and Kelly. Coker didn't play lights out against Ole Miss he just played better than the starter and Coker didn't beat Georgia, Henry and Bama's defense did. Kelly did beat Bama but he benefited greatly from two big pass plays that shouldn't have happened and Bama turned it over 5 times. Against good defenses he has struggled some. Dak has thrown 176 passes this year without an interception. He just ran for over 100 yards against A&M. Dak obviously isn't playing as well as he can but I don't think he's playing any worse than Coker or Kelly. I'm sure some of my opinion is because I see things through maroon glasses. I would like to see Dak turn it up a few notches going into November and then add a Bama win to his resume.

Yep, I agree.
I would go

Allen
Dak
Grier
Coker/Harris
Kelly
Towles

Based solely off the eye test and how I feel the QBs would do purely on talent. I honestly think there is not a team in the SEC that wouldn't take Dak outside of A and M.

TopDog58
10-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Coker should have played the entirety of the UM game, but that still doesn't make him a good quarterback. No way he's above Dak, regardless of wins.

Truthfully, I wasn't all that impressed with Allen either after he cooled off in the first quarter against us. He looked very average. But I'd still have to give him the edge since he will put up huge numbers in that sytem and Dak's numbers are not quite there.

BB30
10-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Coker should have played the entirety of the UM game, but that still doesn't make him a good quarterback. No way he's above Dak, regardless of wins.

Truthfully, I wasn't all that impressed with Allen either after he cooled off in the first quarter against us. He looked very average. But I'd still have to give him the edge since he will put up huge numbers in that sytem and Dak's numbers are not quite there.

Very true, Dak running A and M's offense would be pretty impressive.

confucius say
10-08-2015, 01:06 PM
1. Grier. Several big wins, clutch moments. Gamer
2. Allen @ TXAM. undefeated, clutch moments running and passing.
3. Coker. Beat UGA and rallied team vs OM, taking over the team
4. Kelly. Beat Bama
5. Dak. needs some signature wins. Will his legacy be beating Bama? Can he & Mullen learn from last year (s) that running up the middle won't work vs Bama with a QB or puny RB, but only with a big power RB like Lee & Williams?
6. Harris & Towles. Harris has LF & Towles has KY @ 4-1 (ugly, but 4-1 nonetheless)

what say you? How will this look going into Nov?

Take Grier and Coker out. They are not in dak or Allen's league right now. Judging by wins is like saying Trent dilfer should be head of Marino. Or the younger manning ahead of the the middle manning child. Allen and dak are 1-2. Kelly is close but need to see more before I'm sold on him.

defiantdog
10-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Yea, Shump should have caught both of those balls. The throw in the TAMU game I think was as much on Dak as it was on Shump if Dak puts that ball out in front instead of behind him it is probably a TD or a very big gain. And that is another play in my opinion that was a great play call and wide open that our guys just didn't execute. If we execute just a few more plays our offensive output looks a lot different that is why I feel you can't put it all on Dan and his play calling. Hopefully Dak and co can win the games we are supposed to and find a way to upset Bama.

Better watch that...... it was all Dak's fault and none on Shump's according to other posts.

justwin
10-08-2015, 02:36 PM

yeah, I think the only distinguishment between Dak, Coker, and Kelly are wins so that's why Dak is below them at this point. I think Coker gets a little more credit than he's getting. Saban should've named him the starter before the season.

justwin
10-08-2015, 02:38 PM
I'd put Grier above Allen at this point if just going on talent. He's played remarkably well considering new coach, players galore, patchwork OL, etc. very quick runner too.

Yep, I agree.
I would go

Allen
Dak
Grier
Coker/Harris
Kelly
Towles

Based solely off the eye test and how I feel the QBs would do purely on talent. I honestly think there is not a team in the SEC that wouldn't take Dak outside of A and M.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2015, 02:44 PM
Better watch that...... it was all Dak's fault and none on Shump's according to other posts.

Yep. Funny thing is, a few days ago Matt Wyatt was on the radio talking about how those passes weren't great but "Shumpert should have caught them both, and he would tell you that."

But you and I were wrong to say that, defiant. ha

justwin
10-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Take Grier and Coker out. They are not in dak or Allen's league right now. Judging by wins is like saying Trent dilfer should be head of Marino. Or the younger manning ahead of the the middle manning child. Allen and dak are 1-2. Kelly is close but need to see more before I'm sold on him.

wins have to be apart of the equation though. I think Dak is #3, at best, currently as Grier is top two for me. Sadly, I don't know how Dak gets to #1....winning out I suppose gets him there. I keep going back to our first drive where Gabe was overthrown whereas Allen rolled out on 4th and goal and found a guy for a TD. for a variety of reasons, Dak hasn't had a game changing play like that all season. Then, Grier's 4th and 14 vs Tenn along with opening TD pass vs OM are huge plays by him. I think Coker needs more credit for keeping it close vs OM despite not starting & the UGA win. Coker is only going to get better now he's clearly #1. Kelly had the same chitty OL vs Bama that he had vs Vandy & UF so he's still a mystery.

justwin
10-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Yep. Funny thing is, a few days ago Matt Wyatt was on the radio talking about how those passes weren't great but "Shumpert should have caught them both, and he would tell you that."

But you and I were wrong to say that, defiant. ha

Yes, those drops were all on Shump. End of story.

confucius say
10-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Yes, those drops were all on Shump. End of story.

Agreed. Sec running backs have to make those plays. Especially the a&m one, that was routine.

confucius say
10-08-2015, 03:39 PM
wins have to be apart of the equation though. I think Dak is #3, at best, currently as Grier is top two for me. Sadly, I don't know how Dak gets to #1....winning out I suppose gets him there. I keep going back to our first drive where Gabe was overthrown whereas Allen rolled out on 4th and goal and found a guy for a TD. for a variety of reasons, Dak hasn't had a game changing play like that all season. Then, Grier's 4th and 14 vs Tenn along with opening TD pass vs OM are huge plays by him. I think Coker needs more credit for keeping it close vs OM despite not starting & the UGA win. Coker is only going to get better now he's clearly #1. Kelly had the same chitty OL vs Bama that he had vs Vandy & UF so he's still a mystery.

I don't think there is a coach in the league who would take Grier or Coker over dak or Allen.