PDA

View Full Version : LSU/South Carolina Game moved to Tiger Stadium

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Goodness, LSU has it easy this year.

Not that South Carolina has a great chance to beating them anyway, but when upsets usually happen, they happen on when the higher ranked team plays on the road. Plus, this gives LSU one less week of exhaustion. Road games are exhausting regardless if you win or lose.

This just may be LSU's year.

It would great if we could have this happen in our favor every once in a while.

I would be in favor of the either the LSU or Alabama getting moved to Davis Wade next year so that we disrupt the pattern of LSU, Bama, & Ole Miss at home in odd years & on the road in even years.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Will LSU get to keep the gate or will USCe get a chunk? This seems highly unfair for all teams in the SEC.

Skydawg1
10-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Cue the dancing banana emoji's on Tiger rant.

shoeless joe
10-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Will LSU get to keep the gate or will USCe get a chunk? This seems highly unfair for all teams in the SEC.

I'd bet Carolina will get a substantial amount after all costs for LSU are accounted for.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Some years the SEC just breaks your way.

With 14 teams now in the league, teams are competing for the same title while going against vastly different circumstances & schedules to get there.

It's life I guess.

Coach34
10-07-2015, 10:58 AM
How are they going to possibly do tickets for that?

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2015, 11:03 AM

No clue, but hotel rooms could even be a bigger problem. It's Wednesday......

Here's what I'd do with tickets:

1. Students get in with ID in their section.

2. Season ticket holders have until 5:00 Thursday to purchase their normal tickets for this game.

3. At 8:00 Friday morning, all non-purchased tickets are available for purchase.

mic
10-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I can't believe OBC agreed to this.... Wow

DancingRabbit
10-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Strange that they couldn't find a venue available in SC, NC or Georgia

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Strange situation for sure. I would think the Panthers' stadium or the Georgia Dome would have been sufficient.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 11:14 AM
I can't believe OBC agreed to this.... Wow

Why would he have to agree? It's because of flooding so it's not like he could do anything about.

Beaver
10-07-2015, 11:14 AM

Don't see why they couldn't play in Charlotte. The Panthers have a bye week and are in Seattle next weekend.

mic
10-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Why would he have to agree? It's because of flooding so it's not like he could do anything about.

For one he is who he is And that's the OBC
And 2nd You would think they would have other options besides tiger stadium..

Do you think Saban and bama would have allowed a home game in Tuscaloosa be moved to Baton Rouge or to any other SEC school for that matter...

Dawgtini
10-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Don't see why they couldn't play in Charlotte. The Panthers have a bye week and are in Seattle next weekend.

Probably due to disaster recovery efforts. Closed roads, shortages of supplies, police, security, etc. Makes sense really, not to add another "big event" to the current "really big event".

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Strange situation for sure. I would think the Panthers' stadium or the Georgia Dome would have been sufficient.

I know the dome already has a game scheduled for sat. Maybe logistics wise this was the easiest and to be able to keep the same TV time at this late date.

MadDawg
10-07-2015, 11:21 AM

They talked about this on H2H last night. The argument against a "neutral" site was that both teams would have to find accommodations in a limited amount of time. But in Baton Rouge, only one team has to find accommodations. Still, they didn't think no way SC would agree to this. But obviously they have. Big advantage LSU.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Do you think Saban and bama would have allowed a home game in Tuscaloosa be moved to Baton Rouge or to any other SEC school for that matter...

The higher ups are making the call. He was probably told what was going to happen and maybe they asked his advice but he doesn't have that much pull. And yes under similar circumstances when you can't reschedule Bama would have to do the same thing. If a neutral site couldn't be arranged. Hotels quite possibly was the biggest hurdle to overcome as well as stadium.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 11:24 AM
They talked about this on H2H last night. The argument against a "neutral" site was that both teams would have to find accommodations in a limited amount of time. But in Baton Rouge, only one team has to find accommodations. Still, they didn't think no way SC would agree to this. But obviously they have. Big advantage LSU.

I can see it being a logistics nightmare in this short amount of time.

Beaver
10-07-2015, 11:28 AM
I can see it being a logistics nightmare in this short amount of time.

Yeah, I guess no matter where they went, hundreds of employees who were supposed to have a weekend off now have to work... Might be easier to pull that off at a college facility.

mic
10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
The higher ups are making the call. He was probably told what was going to happen and maybe they asked his advice but he doesn't have that much pull. And yes under similar circumstances when you can't reschedule Bama would have to do the same thing. If a neutral site couldn't be arranged. Hotels quite possibly was the biggest hurdle to overcome as well as stadium.

I get it.. I was just saying I bet OBC didn't agree to this or liked it... And I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a venue that would have welcomed this game with open arms and could have gotten it ready for 2 teams and their fans ..

If USCe was in a better situation record wise I bet this wouldn't have happened...

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I guess no matter where they went, hundreds of employees who were supposed to have a weekend off now have to work... Might be easier to pull that off at a college facility.

Not only that but hotels can't kick our people who already have reservations. You need a huge block of rooms or split the the team in multiple hotels. Additional busing, food prep that hotel and/or establishments that might not be able to get a truck in for at this date, venue logistics and employees needed. For an 11 am game. Ga Dome is out because they already have a 3:30 game scheduled. Panther stadium already has a weekend event scheduled according to the site. Nashville maybe?

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 11:48 AM
I get it.. I was just saying I bet OBC didn't agree to this or liked it... And I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a venue that would have welcomed this game with open arms and could have gotten it ready for 2 teams and their fans ..

If USCe was in a better situation record wise I bet this wouldn't have happened...

I don't what venue is actually available that would work. If they have enough rooms for two teams. And at this short time frame. Bama plays home vs Tenn so Birmingham is out. Nissan Stadium is the only one I can think of as a possibility right now

Maroonthirteen
10-07-2015, 11:59 AM
USCe agreed because the SEC has promised that the SECw will return the favor next year.

Hahahaha! 17 U Miss State.

SEC Commish

Jack Lambert
10-07-2015, 12:01 PM
USCe agreed because the SEC has promised that the SECw will return the favor next year.

SEC Commish

We only have six home games as it is. That will not happen.

I think what will happen is the SEC will take SEC money away from the other 13 schools and give it to USC to recoupe the cost.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 12:01 PM

SEC Commish

That would be funny if it didn't have the possibility of actually happening.

Jack Lambert
10-07-2015, 12:02 PM

I would imagine them doing gate and online that you print off only.

Maroonthirteen
10-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I was just trying to be funny. But the old MSU in me sezs......

HSVDawg
10-07-2015, 12:52 PM
There are literally endless options for where they could have played. The Panthers are on a bye so Charlotte was available. Georgia Tech is playing on the road so Bobby Dodd was available. Whatever other SEC teams are playing on the road this weekend could have offered up their stadiums. And thats just stuff I was able to come up with in 5 minutes. Shit, if I'm Spurrier, I'd rather play the game in Alaska than play in Tiger Stadium. And the hotels had nothing to do with it. Its not like 80,000 South Carolina fans are going to all be able to find hotel rooms (not to mention plane tickets) in Baton Rouge on 2 days notice.

This is the same conference that changed the location of a basketball tournament from a 35,000 seat venue to an 8,000 seat venue on one day's notice. You can't tell me they couldn't find a better option. I also wouldn't be surprised if the TV window and potential lost TV dollars don't play into this somehow.

confucius say
10-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Saban would have played that thing at a high school or jr college before tiger stadium. Only kinda*****

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 12:58 PM
There are literally endless options for where they could have played. The Panthers are on a bye so Charlotte was available. Georgia Tech is playing on the road so Bobby Dodd was available. Whatever other SEC teams are playing on the road this weekend could have offered up their stadiums. And thats just stuff I was able to come up with in 5 minutes. Shit, if I'm Spurrier, I'd rather play the game in Alaska than play in Tiger Stadium. And the hotels had nothing to do with it. Its not like 80,000 South Carolina fans are going to all be able to find hotel rooms (not to mention plane tickets) in Baton Rouge on 2 days notice.

This is the same conference that changed the location of a basketball tournament from a 35,000 seat venue to an 8,000 seat venue on one day's notice. You can't tell me they couldn't find a better option. I also wouldn't be surprised if the TV window and potential lost TV dollars don't play into this somehow.

Panther Stadium is not available as mentioned earlier in this thread. They have an event this weekend. And it's not about just hotels for the fans. Big issue finding a team hotel for two teams. That's a major problem. And I don't think another SEC stadium makes sense. Why move two teams to another SEC stadium when you can move just one. And still have hotel issues, maybe even worse depending on which SEC town you are talking about.

civildawg
10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
LSU had to do the same thing when Katrina hit. LSU was going to beat them no matter what so it really doesnt matter.

HSVDawg
10-07-2015, 01:12 PM
LSU had to do the same thing when Katrina hit. LSU was going to beat them no matter what so it really doesnt matter.

LSU in 2005 moved a nonconference game (Arizona State). Completely different situation as things like conference standings and balance of home vs. road games compared to other conference teams was not adversely affected. They could have cancelled the game if they wanted to and it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. And as to your point about LSU is going to win regardless, that may be true but there is no way to know for sure. Thats why the games are played after all.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2015, 01:16 PM

Maybe your right, but it still does matter.

LSU plays Florida next week. Would LSU be less fresh for that game if they played on the road this week?

I also, disagree that LSU was going to beat them no matter what. What is LSU turned the ball over 5 times on offense?

Point is, is that it does matter. How significant it matters, IDK, but it absolutely makes LSU's schedule that much easier.

HSVDawg
10-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Why move two teams to another SEC stadium when you can move just one. And still have hotel issues, maybe even worse depending on which SEC town you are talking about.

Because its a major f-ing advantage for LSU (and disadvantage) for USC compared to every other team in their respective divisions flip the location of the game as it relates to the conference standings. What's going to happen is that whatever few USC fans can make the trip will have their tickets honored but they will open the rest of the stadium for general admission, which will be all LSU fans. Thats a little bit bigger deal than hotel rooms if you ask me.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Because its a major f-ing advantage for LSU (and disadvantage) for USC compared to every other team in their respective divisions flip the location of the game as it relates to the conference standings. What's going to happen is that whatever few USC fans can make the trip will have their tickets honored but they will open the rest of the stadium for general admission, which will be all LSU fans. Thats a little bit bigger deal than hotel rooms if you ask me.

Its a freaking weather event and it's a little over 72 hours from kickoff when they made the announcement. It sucks for So Carolina but don't get pissed just you can't understand the major issues any move causes at this late date. The flood is a little bigger than the game. And getting two team hotels (not even getting into fan rooms) would have been nearly impossible in certain areas even if a venue was available. It sucks but it was probably the best or at least by far the easiest for all involved. Including So Car.

Jack Lambert
10-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Its a freaking weather event and it's a little over 72 hours from kickoff when they made the announcement. It sucks for So Carolina but don't get pissed just you can't understand the major issues any move causes at this late date. The flood is a little bigger than the game. And getting two team hotels (not even getting into fan rooms) would have been nearly impossible in certain areas even if a venue was available. It sucks but it was probably the best or at least by far the easiest for all involved. Including So Car.

The easiest thing to do is just cancel the game or play the game in Columbia without any fans in the stadium, just TV. I would have laugh my ass off if they cancel the game and that one win that LSU didn’t have kicked them cock suckers in the nuts.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 02:48 PM
The easiest thing to do is just cancel the game or play the game in Columbia without any fans in the stadium, just TV. I would have laugh my ass off if they cancel the game and that one win that LSU didn’t have kicked them cock suckers in the nuts.

Ha. That would have been funny. But TV and the league won't do that. And if their schedules matched up or if it was early enough in the season, maybe they could have moved the date of the game.

Beaver
10-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Wonder if LSU's canceled game at the beginning of the season was a factor... At least some leverage for the LSU AD.

HSVDawg
10-07-2015, 03:50 PM

Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Our chances of winning the division are done anyways. But if I was a Bama or Texas A&M fan, I would be irate.

And I totally understand the potential issues at hand with the hotels. I just think the league took the path of least resistance to keep their biggest business partner (ESPN) happy rather than try to work out a solution that was fairest for both teams.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over it. Our chances of winning the division are done anyways. But if I was a Bama or Texas A&M fan, I would be irate.

And I totally understand the potentisl issues at hand with the hotels. I just think the league took the path of least resistance to keep their biggest business partner (ESPN) happy rather than try to work out a solution that was fairest for both teams.

Maybe so. The So Car AD said the day before that they had made a bunch of inquires prior. Charlotte, Columbia and Baton Rouge were really the only possible options he mentioned. But NASCAR is in Charlotte and reports are that Panthers offered assistance but not necessarily the use of the stadium. Their concern was not the Columbia stadium but the infrastructure in Columbia and the authorities stretched beyond thin already. Really worried about getting in and out with possibly someone getting hurt, etc. Some have said Jacksonville was willing but it must have been some sort of an issue because the Car AD didn't mention them or just overlooked it in the report. The SEC has stated they are making up the loss revenue to the school. As far TV, it is somewhat an logistics issue with them as well, because the SEC network game day already decided to move locations this weekend. They were to be in Columbia.

BulldogBear
10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
If they were going to do that what would stop them from just playing at nice high school stadium somewhere in North Georgia or East Tennessee. That would've been interesting. I imagine though that Beaver is right. The fact that LSU already had a game cancelled may have been a HUGE factor with LSU a possible contender. In effect, it would have probably cancelled TWO wins. A loss would have been devastating. I don't care what argument you might make, it would have to be hard subconsciously for a committee member to put a school in the playoffs that didn't have to play two games, especially if they had a loss.