PDA

View Full Version : OT Orange Beach Restaurants

mk1984
10-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Ok guys headed to Orange Beach what are some of yalls best family restaurant recommendations? Got two boys four and two.

Statecoachingblows**
10-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Cobalt and Tacky Jacks, kind of opposite ends of the spectrum, but pretty good food at both.
Hear good things about Wolf Bay Lodge on Beach Blvd but never been.
The Gulf is a good location/scenery/eatery too. All open air so kids an run around.
Head over to Gulf Shores to the Hangout for environment, food is ok.
This weekend in GS Shrimp Festival is going on its a decent atmosphere for a family outing. They have a kids area too.

Snowbirds are rolling in so don't expect to do the speed limit anywhere!

BB30
10-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Agree, also like Shipp's Harbour Grill. Good seafood and good sushi.

LeakyD
10-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Baumhower's at the Wharf is a great deal on Wednesday's. Kids eat free. My kids are the same age, and I would rather not have to pay for all the food they don't eat. Saved me $15-20.

Chuck Finley
10-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Pirates Cove. Really good burgers and pizza.

hotrod4msu
10-07-2015, 09:33 AM
My favorites are the new Acme Oyster House, The Original Oyster House, and of course if you want to eat a lot Lamberts.
For breakfast the new Another Broken Egg.

Coursesuper
10-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Cosmos on canal road is great, Louisiana Lagniappe is a stand by very solid. With the kids find time for The Hangout our LuLu's you will wait but not quit so bad this time of year. Having lived there for quite some time this is the best month of the year in in GS/OB. For an afternoon Tacky Jacks in OB is a great place to chill let the kids watch the boats come and go from cotton bayou.

starkvegasdawg
10-07-2015, 09:47 AM
We went to Wolf Bay Lodge this summer and really liked it. There are two locations. The one down near the beach is more crowded but you can eat outside with a nice view of the marina. The one in Foley is newer and nicer but no view. If this is a consideration, the one in Foley has a much nicer salad bar. The food was the same at both locations. Another place we have gone before is King Neptunes. However, we did not go this time due to wanting to try someplace new and the reviews of a lot of people that have gone recently were not as good. They do have a fried cheesecake that is extremely good. We got one of those to go. One thing about King Neptunes is that it is extremely small. ALmost looks like a converted Dairy Queen. Expect a long wait if you go during peak time. I know they're a chain but I also like the Shrimp Basket. We make a point to go to the one down in Orange Beach. One thing my kids like about Wolf Bay is that their food came out on frisbees that they got to keep.

starkvegasdawg
10-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Also, add that for breakfast there is a place that sales beinets (or however it is you spell that word) that is pretty good. You go down the main drag and make the RH turn like you are going to go to that ferry and it is right there on your right in a strip mall. There is a chocolate store right there, too, that we have to frequent every tripdown as well.

Boya
10-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Baumhower's at the Wharf is a great deal on Wednesday's. Kids eat free. My kids are the same age, and I would rather not have to pay for all the food they don't eat. Saved me $15-20.

Baumhowers is closed. Bimini Bobs at the wharf is decent and lulu's is always good but you have to get there early.

Original48
10-07-2015, 10:28 AM
The Gulf..on the right before bridge heading into perdido. Best variety of really good food, big area for kids to play, and just awesome views. Very tropical.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+gulf+orange+beach&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#fid=0x889a079e50227769:0x4a2d8940fc1 b7383&fpstate=luuv

Martianlander
10-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Original Oyster House. If you have lunch in Foley, the Fish River Grill #2 is good. Have eaten at Doc's on the main drag and it was good, but people tell me the one by the bay is better. Haven't eaten at that one.

RoverDog
10-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Doc's
Acme Oyster (get there early...usually long wait times)
LA Lagniappe
Tacky Jack's (my personal favorite, along with Doc's)

Lulu's for the kids

Gulf is cool, but not so much for lunch if it's busy....not a lot of shade

Hazel's for breakfast

Used to really like King Neptune's, but this summer it seemed different....new management maybe? Only been to Cobalt once and thought service and food was just OK.

Drugdog
10-07-2015, 11:12 AM
Docs- Best gumbo around.

Statecoachingblows**
10-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Also, add that for breakfast there is a place that sales beinets (or however it is you spell that word) that is pretty good. You go down the main drag and make the RH turn like you are going to go to that ferry and it is right there on your right in a strip mall. There is a chocolate store right there, too, that we have to frequent every tripdown as well.

Cafe beignet behind chocolate corner on hwy 180- and yea those little things are delicious

CJDAWG85
10-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Cosmos is excellent
Cobalt was ok. Wasn't that impressed.

Dawgbite
10-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Baumhowers is closed. Bimini Bobs at the wharf is decent and lulu's is always good but you have to get there early.

When did Baumhowers close? I just ate there last month.

Behrdawg
10-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Flora Bama. Raw oysters. Bushwhacker. Bet you can't beat my score on the punching bag, too.

mstatefan91
10-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Cosmos. Would eat there every week if I lived there.

HancockCountyDog
10-07-2015, 02:17 PM
There is a new place that is awesome - Fisher's.

Went there right before football season, it was great.

http://www.fishersobm.com/

Boya
10-07-2015, 02:27 PM
When did Baumhowers close? I just ate there last month.

Last Saturday there was on sign on the door saying it had closed. Not sure if it was a seasonal change but it wasnt open...

Dawgface
10-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Another vote for Cosmos and Fishers.

nsvltndog
10-07-2015, 05:19 PM
You can't go wrong with Cobalt and Cosmos as they are staples of the Orange Beach dining scene. There is some crossover on their menus as they have the same owner, but I'd give Cobalt a higher mark. Both can have long waits on Friday and Saturday nights this time of year and every night during peak season.

Fishers - I saw HancockCounty Dog mention this one and it is a really nice option that not many people know about. You will want to eat at Fisher's Upstairs which accepts reservations. The food is awesome, but if you like bourbon you will love their cocktail called the Intimidator which is made with house smoked bourbon.

The Gulf - Original48 mentioned this one and its another good find. I don't think they offer indoor dining so make sure the weather is nice. From the road it appears to be a shipping container turned into a restaurant. Back behind it, there is a lush tropical outdoor eating environment right on the beach that is very family friendly. The food is pretty good, but not what I would call incredible. Good burgers, Grouper sandwich, kind of a Chipotle type taco/burrito set up, outdoor bars, etc.

Breakfast - Tacky Jacks - nothing fancy, but good greasy Southern breakfast food. Don't even think about ordering a fancy coffee drink or they will laugh at you.

Breakfast/Brunch - Brick and Spoon - this one is brutal to get into during the high season, but they do a fantastic brunch and close early in the afternoon. I'm not into Bloody Mary's but if you are this is going to be a treat as they probably have 1000 ways to make one based on all the different ingredients that you can order. I've seen some with enough shrimp and sausage draped over the glass to turn it into a standalone meal.

Casual/To go options - Bravo Tacos - really good food on corner of Canal Road and 161. We usually pick it up to go.
Rotolos Pizza - based out of New Orleans - great pizza for a chain; eat in or take out

If you want to cook from your condo - pick up some Royal Red shrimp at a local seafood market and ask for the very basic directions on how to steam or boil them. All you need is butter for dipping and you will think you are eating lobster.

mk1984
10-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the recommendations

bobcat91
10-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Original Oyster House is very good with an excellent salad bar.
Mikee's and King Neptune's have good seafood in a no frills environment.
Lambert's is great country cooking, get there early as the wait can be over an hour at peak times.
Doc's has a very good Crab Melt sandwich.
Cosmos is excellent.

If you want to cook for yourselves, Blaylock's has several locations--OB has one on Canal Road and they have everything you need and will steam it for you if you call ahead.

BHildreth3
10-08-2015, 11:11 AM
It's small but to me, Fisherman's Corner (https://www.google.com/search?q=fisherman%27s+corner&oq=fisherman%27s+corner&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.4280j1j0&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8) is a best kept secret in Perdido - the address is Pensacola but it's just over the bridge

preachermatt83
10-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Tacky Jacks, Hangout, and LuLu's are my favs. I hate the Original Oyster House. Flat out NASTY.