PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure you have heard, but we have Mario Keglar and...

HoopsDawg
10-06-2015, 10:27 AM
De'ron Davis visiting this weekend. Huge!

Howland has the potential to sign the best class in MSU history with 4 out of 6 rated in the top 68 in the country and Peters and Carter are really good too:

PG: Lamar Peters, 4 star
SG: Tyson Carter, 4 star, late bloomer
SF: Mario Keglar, 4 star, ESPN #32
PF: De'Ron Davis, 4 star, ESPN #47
C: Schnider Herard, 4 star, ESPN #67
C: Abdul Ado, 4 star, ESPN #68

whosyourdawgy
10-06-2015, 10:31 AM
Whoah that is strong if he pulls that off.

msstate7
10-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Glad they're on campus, but Troy? Dang... Wish we couldve gotten them here for bama game. They could've attended basketball doubleheader and the campus would be packed

smootness
10-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Peters and Carter are both top-100 guys in the 247 composite. I think there are sites that have both in the top 70-80.

smootness
10-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Also, I'm not sure how good our chances are with Davis. I would love to close it out with Kegler and make a strong push with Davis. Herard is visiting Kansas this weekend, so we need to withstand that. If he doesn't commit, I'll feel ok about it, but there's a chance he's blown away and commits to Kansas this week.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Peters and Carter are both top-100 guys in the 247 composite. I think there are sites that have both in the top 70-80.

Yes, 247 has all 6 players listed in the Top 102 in the country. It would be an unreal class b/c all players are really good, but not one and done type good. All 6 players could be 3 year or 4 year type players.

HoopsDawg
10-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Also, I'm not sure how good our chances are with Davis. I would love to close it out with Kegler and make a strong push with Davis. Herard is visiting Kansas this weekend, so we need to withstand that. If he doesn't commit, I'll feel ok about it, but there's a chance he's blown away and commits to Kansas this week.

Lot of work to be done, but we have a chance.

ScottH
10-06-2015, 10:49 AM
I have come to the conclusion Coach Howland has all things basketball completely under control and doesn't need my help, analysis, opinion or input.

Coach34
10-06-2015, 10:51 AM
I have come to the conclusion Coach Howland has all things basketball completely under control and doesn't need my help, analysis, opinion or input.

Howland has everything under control and has even improved the Stands Network

BB30
10-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Basketball is about to be a lot of fun again. Still can't believe how great of a hire we made.

smootness
10-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Yes, 247 has all 6 players listed in the Top 102 in the country. It would be an unreal class b/c all players are really good, but not one and done type good. All 6 players could be 3 year or 4 year type players.

Agreed. Even if we 'only' get 4-5 of them, that would give us 6-7 of those types on the team next year, with Weatherspoon and Holman. So we'd have Peters at PG, Weatherspoon and Carter at the 2, Kegler at the 3, and Holman/Davis/Herard/Ado in the frontcourt. My guess is that we'll miss on at least one of the frontcourt guys, but that would still be the makings of a really, really good team. Add in Ready, Houston, Strugg, Ndoye, and maybe a JUCO wing, and we could make some serious noise. I think the 2016-2017 team has a chance to be even better than this year's team.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-06-2015, 11:17 AM
You guys are leaving out Eli Wright who's very very good also. I'm not worried about Kegler at all. Whether he commits this weekend or takes a couple more visits. Herard is the crown jewel of this recruiting class rankings be damned. He's a true center who plays around the basket that can score. He has 25-30min/game & a starting spot waiting on him as soon as he steps foot on campus. Yes the Kansas OV is this weekend but this is also their Midnight Madness weekend so they're going to be jammed pack with kids. Also their #1 Center prospect is going to be on campus too, Marques Bolden so that can't hurt our chances because he will be getting the extreme royal treatment. If he doesn't commit during his visit my confidence shoots way up on Herard. Davis is hard to get a read on. We haven't been on him that long but we've already made it into his top 3 with Indiana & Arizona before he's ever stepped on campus. I wouldn't say put any money on him being in this class but I would never bet against Howland either. This weekend is huge for us.

godlluB
10-06-2015, 12:28 PM
What, no 5 stars? NAFOOM is not impressed. **

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-06-2015, 12:33 PM

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Kegler is 5 stars on some sites

Ifyouonlyknew
10-06-2015, 12:57 PM

He's probably 3rd on their list as far as centers go.

1. Marques Bolden
2. Udoka Azabuike
3. Schnider Herard

The issue for Kansas is they don't lead for the 1st 2 so do they accept Herard commitment if he wanted to or wait out the 1st 2 & potentially lose all 3.

smootness
10-07-2015, 12:52 PM
He's probably 3rd on their list as far as centers go.

1. Marques Bolden
2. Udoka Azabuike
3. Schnider Herard

The issue for Kansas is they don't lead for the 1st 2 so do they accept Herard commitment if he wanted to or wait out the 1st 2 & potentially lose all 3.

If he's as good as you say he is, I would guess they would.

Here's to hoping Bolden commits this weekend.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-07-2015, 12:54 PM
If he's as good as you say he is, I would guess they would.

Here's to hoping Bolden commits this weekend.

No chance Bolden commits this weekend.

Behrdawg
10-07-2015, 12:55 PM
Wait- we have a basketball team, again?

smootness
10-07-2015, 12:57 PM
No chance Bolden commits this weekend.

Yeah, I was mostly joking.

I'm just not extremely confident about landing Herard.

Johnson85
10-07-2015, 01:42 PM
You guys are leaving out Eli Wright who's very very good also. I'm not worried about Kegler at all. Whether he commits this weekend or takes a couple more visits. Herard is the crown jewel of this recruiting class rankings be damned. He's a true center who plays around the basket that can score. He has 25-30min/game & a starting spot waiting on him as soon as he steps foot on campus. Yes the Kansas OV is this weekend but this is also their Midnight Madness weekend so they're going to be jammed pack with kids. Also their #1 Center prospect is going to be on campus too, Marques Bolden so that can't hurt our chances because he will be getting the extreme royal treatment. If he doesn't commit during his visit my confidence shoots way up on Herard. Davis is hard to get a read on. We haven't been on him that long but we've already made it into his top 3 with Indiana & Arizona before he's ever stepped on campus. I wouldn't say put any money on him being in this class but I would never bet against Howland either. This weekend is huge for us.

So Peters and Eli Wright are already committed. You feel good about Kegler. Herard is somewhere around a coinflip but odds will get better if he makes it past this weekend. Don't know about Davis. What about Carter (is this the coach's son?) and Ado. Any feeling on our chances with them?

Jacksondevildog
10-07-2015, 01:46 PM
From what Ive gathered, Carter and Ado are heavy MSU leans at this time.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-07-2015, 01:49 PM
From what Ive gathered, Carter and Ado are heavy MSU leans at this time.

This. I feel pretty good about Herard just because of the fact playing time & minutes are a big factor for him. Nobody will have a better opportunity than MSU in that regard.

smootness
10-07-2015, 02:00 PM
This. I feel pretty good about Herard just because of the fact playing time & minutes are a big factor for him. Nobody will have a better opportunity than MSU in that regard.

I definitely like hearing that.

So Peters and Wright are already in. Kegler and Herard are obvious takes if we get them, and we feel really good about Kegler.

De'Ron Davis would also be a take, but we don't feel as good about him.

Are Carter and Ado both takes no matter what? Or does taking Ado depend on what Herard does?

Basically, what do you think our ideal class would be? And then who do you think we can get after those clear takes that don't necessarily have a spot unless we miss on someone else? Is James Banks still in play?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-07-2015, 02:04 PM
I definitely like hearing that.

So obviously Peters and Wright are already in. Kegler and Herard are obvious takes if we get them, and we obviously feel really good about Kegler.

De'Ron Davis would also be a take, but we don't feel as good about him.

Are Carter and Ado both takes no matter what? Or does taking Ado depend on what Herard does?

Basically, what do you think our ideal class would be? And then who do you think we can get after those clear takes that don't necessarily have a spot unless we miss on someone else? Is James Banks still in play?

If we could get Peters, Carter, Wright, Kegler, Davis, Ado, & Herard we'd take all 7 no questions asked. I don't think we would even invite Banks in for a visit until we know what's going to happen with Herard. There's a PF from Pearl River JC that's supposed to visit soon not sure if OV or unofficial who's a backup plan. Then you have guys like Cameron Lard, Malik Crowfield, & Stefan Duric who could get stronger looks if we miss on some guys.

Jacksondevildog
10-07-2015, 02:06 PM
We will be losing 5 starters. I am assuming Carter and Ado are definitely takes.

I think our class will be:
1. Wright
2. Peters
3. Carter
4. Ado
5. Kegler
6. Herard (if he doesn't commit to KU) If he does, I could see his going after Cameron Lard as another post option.

smootness
10-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Cool. So do we think most of these guys will sign in the early period?

It sounds like you're very confident in us having this class at the very least:
Peters
Wright
Carter
Kegler
Ado

with a good shot at Herard. Is that fair?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-07-2015, 02:09 PM
We will be losing 5 starters. I am assuming Carter and Ado are definitely takes.

I think our class will be:
1. Wright
2. Peters
3. Carter
4. Ado
5. Kegler
6. Herard (if he doesn't commit to KU) If he does, I could see his going after Cameron Lard as another post option.

I expect us to end up signing 7. We have 5 Seniors, Malik, & I wouldn't be surprised at all to see another kid leave after this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-07-2015, 02:09 PM

Peters
Wright
Carter
Kegler
Ado

Yes that's how I see it as of today.

Jacksondevildog
10-07-2015, 02:10 PM
Pretty fair. Herard is the wild card. Kegler is also a weird situation. We are in a good place with him, but there are a lot of moving parts.

Peters
Wright
Carter
Kegler
Ado

Ifyouonlyknew
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Pretty fair. Herard is the wild card. Kegler is also a weird situation. We are in a good place with him, but there are a lot of moving parts.

I could be reading this totally wrong but I think Kegler is pretty cut & dry. I think Ohmar is making it look like a lot of moving parts in the public eye but privately it's pretty simple. Mario just needs to keep his head in those books that should be his primary focus.

defiantdog
10-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Hopefully, he gets to see Kansas play football. That'll turn anyone away.

smootness
10-07-2015, 06:02 PM
So just for the fun of it, let's say none of these guys are one-and-done. Kegler or Herard could potentially blow up and get to that level, but I doubt it. And while Holman could have been a 2-year guy, his knee injury may set that back some. So for the sake of argument, let's assume only Malik Newman from either the 2015 or 2016 classes is no longer at State come 2017-2018. You're looking at something like the following:

Peters - PG (sophomore)
Weatherspoon - G (junior)
Kegler - SF (sophomore)
Holman - F (junior)
Herard - C (sophomore)

Bench:
Houston - wing (senior)
Wright - G (sophomore)
Carter - G (sophomore)
Ado - F (sophomore)
Strugg - F (junior)

Obviously we probably won't get every single one of these guys, and some of the ones we do get could leave, either early for the NBA or due to lack of playing time. But it's still fun to look ahead, and this team would be loaded, and with enough experience. Even if you saw several guys leave after that year, you could still field a team the next year with several upperclassmen who were 4-stars as recruits. And we'll obviously add even more talented players in the 2017 class as well.

Yes, State basketball is back and could be better than ever before long.

Thick
10-07-2015, 08:03 PM
You are leaving off Stapleton. He's pretty damn athletic.

Jacksondevildog
10-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Agreed. Hopefully he comes back off the ACL surgery well.

smootness
10-07-2015, 08:12 PM

I keep forgetting about him because he won't play this year. But yes, he'll definitely play a role down the line.

BankerDog
10-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Cameron Lard is suppose to be committing Friday

Ifyouonlyknew
10-07-2015, 10:09 PM
Cameron Lard is suppose to be committing Friday

To who?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-08-2015, 08:29 AM
UPDATE: James Banks committed to Texas this morning.

smootness
10-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Our options may be dwindling. Doesn't necessarily hurt, but it does make it more important to land Herard.

Maroon_and_white
10-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Also, De'ron davis no longer visiting this weekend. Has a sick family member and will need to reschedule.