PDA

View Full Version : Dear

msstate7
10-06-2015, 07:40 AM
3 rushes 71 yards 1 td
9 catches 94 yards

12 total touches 165 yards 1 td 13.8 yards/touch

I think he's about to blow up and I think our offense is gonna get better bc of it.

Dawgface
10-06-2015, 08:31 AM
We hope.

BB30
10-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Yea, this kid is going to be special. I didn't realize he carried as much weight as he does. I know they want him to be a slot do it all type player, but with our running game this year I think he could be our every down back. Obviously, this is not a permanent fix but he has shown the most explosiveness and seems to be ahead in understanding the game and slowing things down.

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2015, 09:03 AM
We'll be a good running team at some point this year.

I think much of our problem is that Mullen & Knox misevaluated the talent of the non-freshman RBs. I think they bought into the theory that MSU always has a good running back & that someone would step up.

Sometimes your plans don't work out

Dawgtini
10-06-2015, 09:08 AM
No doubt. Our team is steadily getting better and these next few weeks are just what they need to transform for the stretch run.

msstate7
10-06-2015, 09:11 AM

I think much of our problem is that Mullen & Knox misevaluated the talent of the non-freshman RBs. I think they bought into the theory that MSU always has a good running back & that someone would step up.

Assuming Williams can hold on to the ball, I expect him to be our primary rb down the stretch. He's looked good in limited opportunities

Jack Lambert
10-06-2015, 09:24 AM
3 rushes 71 yards 1 td
9 catches 94 yards

I think he's about to blow up and I think our offense is gonna get better bc of it.

Dak had 95 yards he had 71 so who had the other 60?

Irondawg
10-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Dear can be a playmaker and agree that assuming he can digest any of the playbook needs to get getting 8-10 touches a game somehow. Williams I think shows the most natrual running ability. I think Lee could be decent but no clue b/c every time we run him against a decent defense it's straight into a run blitz.

msstate7
10-06-2015, 09:34 AM

http://s12.postimg.org/xe7vdvdkd/image.png (http://postimage.org/)

Really Clark?
10-06-2015, 09:35 AM

Dear's 71 is for the year not against A & M. Williams had 23, Shump 17, Holloway 5, Myles 3

Ifyouonlyknew
10-06-2015, 09:36 AM
I think Aeris is going to steadily take over the RB spot. Assuming he doesn't put the ball on the ground again he has the most pure talent in the backfield IMO.

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2015, 09:39 AM
I think Aeris is going to steadily take over the RB spot. Assuming he doesn't put the ball on the ground again he has the most pure talent in the backfield IMO.

Agree. I think we will be a solid running team by years end & an excellent running team next year.

TrapGame
10-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Dear does not go down when an opposing defensive player's shadow touches him like Shump. Shump can be arm tackled easily and that's just ridiculous. But Dear ran through two arm tackles and a safety jumping at his feet to trip him. He's got better vision and far better balance.

Pinto
10-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Put them both back there. Go back to the days of Davis and Bowie.

sleepy dawg
10-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Assuming Williams can hold on to the ball, I expect him to be our primary rb down the stretch. He's looked good in limited opportunities

Has he? He's looked the worst to me besides Shump.

Jack Lambert
10-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Dear's 71 is for the year not against A & M. Williams had 23, Shump 17, Holloway 5, Myles 3

That makes since.

Jack Lambert
10-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Dear does not go down when an opposing defensive player's shadow touches him like Shump. Shump can be arm tackled easily and that's just ridiculous. But Dear ran through two arm tackles and a safety jumping at his feet to trip him. He's got better vision and far better balance.

I think Deal will end up at Running back. He looked good when they moved him over. He will learn how to block.

GreenheadDawg
10-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Has he? He's looked the worst to me besides Shump.

Besides Dear he has looked the best to me. Has hit the holes he was suppose to and has good burst.

Sacrifice
10-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Malik's body went through a big time transformation his JR and SR year. If you watch his Soph highlights he looks like a WR. He got really thick over the last 2 years, especially in the lower body. To much of mommas good cooking or something. He's out grown that slot reciever role to me. Now he looks like a bad azz RB with hands like a WR.

msstate7
10-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Malik's body went through a big time transformation his JR and SR year. If you watch his Soph highlights he looks like a WR. He got really thick over the last 2 years, especially in the lower body. To much of mommas good cooking or something. He's out grown that slot reciever role to me. Now he looks like a bad azz RB with hands like a WR.

If he run like a wr, it may not be a bad thing... Db's having to tackle him one on one

klong-dog
10-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Yes I'm hoping it's Williams and Dear, as 1-2 punch for us down the stretch.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Dear will be getting more playing time but it will be at slot. With Gabe out that's even more reps for Dear.

War Machine Dawg
10-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Dear will be getting more playing time but it will be at slot. With Gabe out that's even more reps for Dear.

Dammit, Dan. I was hoping with Gabe out we'd see more of Donald Gray.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-06-2015, 02:19 PM
Dammit, Dan. I was hoping with Gabe out we'd see more of Donald Gray.

You are. With Morrow out for a couple weeks now Gray will sub for Fred Brown & Bear. So we will see more of Donald.

I seen it dawg
10-06-2015, 02:43 PM
3 rushes 71 yards 1 td
9 catches 94 yards

I hope I'm wrong but keep dreaming. This dam head coach hasn't done anything special since the AM game last year. Since then we have been at best confused to why we are playing offense the way we are. It's been a full year of Mullen being ****ing shitastic in playcalling and personnel. Why is it going to change now. Like I said I really hope I am wrong but I've been given no reason to think I will be.

I seen it dawg
10-06-2015, 02:48 PM

Nobody knows what we have a running back bc we do the same shit over and over with the same people. And I know Williams fumbled but he looks like Adrian Peterson compared to what we keep running out there as does lee and dear. Do something ****ing different.

I seen it dawg
10-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Dear body looks like another guy that was pretty good....Emmett smith

TaleofTwoDogs
10-06-2015, 07:04 PM
Yea, this kid is going to be special. I didn't realize he carried as much weight as he does. I know they want him to be a slot do it all type player, but with our running game this year I think he could be our every down back. Obviously, this is not a permanent fix but he has shown the most explosiveness and seems to be ahead in understanding the game and slowing things down.

I stated earlier that Dear is the prototype back for our scheme. Short, powerful with a low center of gravity. Unfortunately, I don't think he has the quickness of JRob but I think he has the tools to be successful as our every down back. But he needs the reps not only to help this year's offense but next year will be a repeat of this year's run game if we don't get our best back on the field this year.

dawgs
10-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Agree. I think we will be a solid running team by years end & an excellent running team next year.

i love giving away games early in the season because we don't play our most talented players because they are young.

CadaverDawg
10-06-2015, 07:28 PM

This.

Aeris showed some burst and power on his carry over right Tackle vs A&M. He looked like the back I've been wishing we had. Had several vs NWS too, but I wanted to see it against faster, stronger players before getting to excited. I think Aeris is our feature back starting in a few games, and until someone takes it from him 1,2, or 3 years from now.

I think Dear will continue to be used as a pass catcher in the flat, as somewhat of an extension to our run game....but with more touches.

Dan and Manny may have been right after all when they said preseason, "we'll be a much better team in November than we are in September". I just didn't think it was going to be because we finally started playing our best playmakers.

Bothrops
10-06-2015, 09:58 PM
We don't know which Rfr RB is going to take over. We can't favor one over another at the moment. We don't know shit yet.

Todd4State
10-06-2015, 10:05 PM
We don't know which Rfr RB is going to take over. We can't favor one over another at the moment. We don't know shit yet.

Yes you do. It's going to be Dear.

Here's why:

It's a compromise between Dan and his beliefs. In his perfect world Shumpert would be the guy. Problem is he isn't producing and even Dan sees it now. BUT in Dan's head that's a problem because Aeries fumbled once and Lee missed curfew once- so they're out. So the compromise is Dear.

We don't necessarily need Dear in the slot with Fred Ross assuming Myles isn't 100% the rest of the year.

Todd4State
10-06-2015, 10:06 PM
I may be in the minority but I thought that Lee looked better than Aeris so far. I think they are both good and I would take anyone that is an upgrade at this point though.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Dear doesn't play RB he won't be the RB this year probably never. He only practices at the slot & I don't see that changing. He'll get more p/t with Myles hurt but anybody looking for him to be full time RB are going to be disappointed.

Really Clark?
10-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Dear doesn't play RB he won't be the RB this year probably never. He only practices at the slot & I don't see that changing. He'll get more p/t with Myles hurt but anybody looking for him to be full time RB are going to be disappointed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't some of this also a part of his recruitment? His position on the field and what he envisions himself as a player. When people talk about recruiting higher profile players that is a part of process and compromise that takes place to get them signed. But I may be confusing him with another player and the position they wanted play to sign.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't some of this also a part of his recruitment? His position on the field and what he envisions himself as a player. When people talk about recruiting higher profile players that is a part of process and compromise that takes place to get them signed. But I may be confusing him with another player and the position they wanted play to sign.

Yea he envisions himself as a slot WR/Jack of all trades type player. He's lost almost 20lbs since he's been on campus. I think he'll look to lose another 10-15lbs by next season & be really explosive in that role.

chef dixon
10-06-2015, 10:37 PM

THANK YOU. Here goes our fan base trying to just morph players into positions they don't even play again. Dear was never in the running to be the starting running back and he's not going to just because he had a 50 yard touchdown run where he originally lined up in the SLOT if I'm not mistaken.

Todd4State
10-06-2015, 10:52 PM

I thought I remember Dear working out with the running backs in the fall?

This lack of creativity is what upsets some of us about Dan. I agree with you that Dear is best used as an ATH jack of all trades guy- but there is zero reason why he shouldn't be looked at as an option at RB for this season if he is the best option.

Really Clark?
10-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Yea he envisions himself as a slot WR/Jack of all trades type player. He's lost almost 20lbs since he's been on campus. I think he'll look to lose another 10-15lbs by next season & be really explosive in that role.

Percy Harvin. That's what he wants to become like. He drops those last 10 or so pounds and I think he has a shot to be explosive in that way.

Really Clark?
10-06-2015, 10:59 PM
I thought I remember Dear working out with the running backs in the fall?

This lack of creativity is what upsets some of us about Dan. I agree with you that Dear is best used as an ATH jack of all trades guy- but there is zero reason why he shouldn't be looked at as an option at RB for this season if he is the best option.

I think the biggest reason that it may not work is the player. If he won't buy in as a RB, then you are creating an issue when you don't need to. And you have to look at long term recruiting in this day and age and how the breaking of a promise to an elite skill player may have a negative impact down the road. Especially if schools use it against you. I think as Williams and the others get settled in, adding Dear as that all purpose back/receiver gives you a really good option of multiple threats. But they have to get there in a hurry.

Todd4State
10-06-2015, 11:05 PM
I think the biggest reason that it may not work is the player. If he won't buy in as a RB, then you are creating an issue when you don't need to. And you have to look at long term recruiting in this day and age and how the breaking of a promise to an elite skill player may have a negative impact down the road. Especially if schools use it against you. I think as Williams and the others get settled in, adding Dear as that all purpose back/receiver gives you a really good option of multiple threats. But they have to get there in a hurry.

If I had my drouthers- I would use Lee and Williams as the primary backs and Dear as an ATH. My thought is that Dan just doesn't trust the freshmen for whatever reason and Dear may be the way to compromise for the best for all.

If we handle it correctly, I don't see how it could be used against us in recruiting. Hey! Did you see Dan playing that guy and giving him all of those touches? Who wants to play for a guy like that? Basically tell Dear that we are going to use him as the slot guy in the future but for now we need him to play RB. Plus, we can certainly start Dear out in the slot, motion him into the backfield and have Dak hand it off to him on several different running plays both outside and inside or on the option. Pretty much what we did on Dear's TD run. And of course with him lined up in the slot- no reason why we can't throw the ball to him some.

Really Clark?
10-06-2015, 11:27 PM
If I had my drouthers- I would use Lee and Williams as the primary backs and Dear as an ATH. My thought is that Dan just doesn't trust the freshmen for whatever reason and Dear may be the way to compromise for the best for all.

If we handle it correctly, I don't see how it could be used against us in recruiting. Hey! Did you see Dan playing that guy and giving him all of those touches? Who wants to play for a guy like that? Basically tell Dear that we are going to use him as the slot guy in the future but for now we need him to play RB. Plus, we can certainly start Dear out in the slot, motion him into the backfield and have Dak hand it off to him on several different running plays both outside and inside or on the option. Pretty much what we did on Dear's TD run. And of course with him lined up in the slot- no reason why we can't throw the ball to him some.

Well we are already doing that, lining him up at slot and motioning him into the backfield ala Harvin, and he will continue to get touches that way. And it may not be an issue with the player but certain teams would definitely use it and can paint a picture of us breaking our word. The best way to combat it is to make sure our player is on page with what we are doing and why and we get the opportunity to let the prospect hear the truth from the player. My point though is don't make a situation when there is not one. Whether it would be with that player, I don't know. Just remembered it a pretty big selling point for him to sign.

And why are we adding another player into the backfield as just a RB? I don't think Dan has to compromise, he is adding the other backs in to the mix and the next few games hopefully settles what the transition will be. But for a while it's been beat bring in Lee and/or Williams. There are only so many touches in a game. People want 10 balls thrown to Bear, Ross deserves at least half dozen targets a game, let's throw to Gray 5-6 times, Dear another 10-15 touches a game, Brown a couple of targets, a RB getting 20 rushes, Dak 10 rushes, Holloway 7-8 touches, Myles, etc. The numbers just won't add up to give everybody the touches that people think we should be. Granted there are definite areas of improvement in areas but there is only so many touches that can go around.

Todd4State
10-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Well we are already doing that, lining him up at slot and motioning him into the backfield ala Harvin, and he will continue to get touches that way. And it may not be an issue with the player but certain teams would definitely use it and can paint a picture of us breaking our word. The best way to combat it is to make sure our player is on page with what we are doing and why and we get the opportunity to let the prospect hear the truth from the player. My point though is don't make a situation when there is not one. Whether it would be with that player, I don't know. Just remembered it a pretty big selling point for him to sign.

And why are we adding another player into the backfield as just a RB? I don't think Dan has to compromise, he is adding the other backs in to the mix and the next few games hopefully settles what the transition will be. But for a while it's been beat bring in Lee and/or Williams. There are only so many touches in a game. People want 10 balls thrown to Bear, Ross deserves at least half dozen targets a game, let's throw to Gray 5-6 times, Dear another 10-15 touches a game, Brown a couple of targets, a RB getting 20 rushes, Dak 10 rushes, Holloway 7-8 touches, Myles, etc. The numbers just won't add up to give everybody the touches that people think we should be. Granted there are definite areas of improvement in areas but there is only so many touches that can go around.

I agree that we may have a problem with too many playmakers to go around. But based on what we have been giving Shumpert and Lee and taking into account the fact that we have typically run fewer plays than our opponents, I would like to see Lee and Williams get between 5-10 touches a game. Essentially give them Shumpert and Holloway's touches for the most part.

And the thing about touches is if we get a running game going- we likely will run more plays which means more chances to get everyone involved.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 10:11 AM
I agree that we may have a problem with too many playmakers to go around. But based on what we have been giving Shumpert and Lee and taking into account the fact that we have typically run fewer plays than our opponents, I would like to see Lee and Williams get between 5-10 touches a game. Essentially give them Shumpert and Holloway's touches for the most part.

And the thing about touches is if we get a running game going- we likely will run more plays which means more chances to get everyone involved.

That's ok but I'm not giving them Holliway's touches. He has too many explosive plays left in that wiry little body not to give him at least 5-7 per game.

Really Clark?
10-07-2015, 10:16 AM

That's ok but I'm not giving them Holliway's touches. He has too many explosive plays left in that wiry little body not to give him at least 5-7 per game. Also, the last two games Shump has had 5 and 4 touches. Add a few more targets that didn't get completed and it's not that much to give them 10-15 each unless we really start adding 20 additional plays per game. We have to execute to extend drives to get the extra plays.