PDA

View Full Version : Coach57

msstate7
10-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Haven't heard you give any thoughts post-aTm. I'd like to hear your thoughts

Coach 57
10-05-2015, 05:29 PM
I said at the beginning of the season the LT was going to be an issue this year especially in games against the elite DEs. Honestly I see as we face other teams they may purposely scheme to put their best pass rusher Vs that side (it's what I'd do). That issue is one that is HUGE but can be overcome with the right player-personnel (i.e TEs & H-backs) & play calling those will allow you to mask this discrepancy.

I think the next biggest issue is play calling. I'm not quite sure what CDM is doing with some of the these plays he is calling. Very conservative and honestly too safe in big games. When the under dog beats a top flight team its normally not the case of fundamentals, it's that they aren't too scared to throw a "punch". The bully doesn't go down unless the nerd is willing to pop him in the nose to set the tone. This has a lot to do with him beating teams that are REALLY good. I was in Gainsville when we beat UF, we didn't throw the haymaker but we were a FAR MORE physical team then too. We bludgeoned them to death in that game. Honestly that team would HAMMER this team! Why?

I honestly think by being more of a finesse team, we may very well put up more points BUT I can tell you without equivocation that OL would much rather run block than pass block. In pass blocking they are in retreat mode but in run blocking they get to BE AGRESSIVE and attack! This may seem like nothing at all but I honestly am critical of his play calling in a pass happy offense. He faired far better with Tebow than Leak. Why? It isn't because Tebow is supremely talented it's because the OL LOVE run blocking! It energizes their confidence level and it gives the team an identity.

I do not think we have an identity yet on offense and because of it we are losing the 2 big games we've lost so far. Manny despite giving up two quick TDs did give our offense 3-4 chances to grab the game, the offense is going to be the issue this year....NOT the defense (who would've thunk it).

Tbonewannabe
10-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Who would have thought our offense this year would look like basketball on grass. Dan is now bubble screen every other play.

7dawg
10-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Nice.....spot on, Coach.

I was just talking with my Dad about the game, we both concluded that something just doesn't look right with this team. I think they are searching for an identity of offense. I don't think they are close to finding it. They may in the next 4 games. If they dont, Alabama will treat us much like they did Georgia.

DancingRabbit
10-05-2015, 06:49 PM
I think this was the first game that we weren't "pass-happy". Equal rushing and passing at 34-34 and pretty equal yardage at 196-210. I think the O-line has been a weakness, and both Dan and Dak have not helped compensate.

Dan looks like a play-calling genius when players make plays. Dak's missing wide-open receivers that have cost us several TD's this year. Turnovers hurt big-time. I do think Dan and Dak need to throw downfield more in big games. WRs need to get back to blocking downfield like they mean it.

Defense is a little ugly but you can't really pin our losses on the D. But I would like to see some slobber-knocker hits occasionally and forcing some turnovers.

I said at the beginning of the season the LT was going to be an issue this year especially in games against the elite DEs. Honestly I see as we face other teams they may purposely scheme to put their best pass rusher Vs that side (it's what I'd do). That issue is one that is HUGE but can be overcome with the right player-personnel (i.e TEs & H-backs) & play calling those will allow you to mask this discrepancy.

I think the next biggest issue is play calling. I'm not quite sure what CDM is doing with some of the these plays he is calling. Very conservative and honestly too safe in big games. When the under dog beats a top flight team its normally not the case of fundamentals, it's that they aren't too scared to throw a "punch". The bully doesn't go down unless the nerd is willing to pop him in the nose to set the tone. This has a lot to do with him beating teams that are REALLY good. I was in Gainsville when we beat UF, we didn't throw the haymaker but we were a FAR MORE physical team then too. We bludgeoned them to death in that game. Honestly that team would HAMMER this team! Why?

I honestly think by being more of a finesse team, we may very well put up more points BUT I can tell you without equivocation that OL would much rather run block than pass block. In pass blocking they are in retreat mode but in run blocking they get to BE AGRESSIVE and attack! This may seem like nothing at all but I honestly am critical of his play calling in a pass happy offense. He faired far better with Tebow than Leak. Why? It isn't because Tebow is supremely talented it's because the OL LOVE run blocking! It energizes their confidence level and it gives the team an identity.

I do not think we have an identity yet on offense and because of it we are losing the 2 big games we've lost so far. Manny despite giving up two quick TDs did give our offense 3-4 chances to grab the game, the offense is going to be the issue this year....NOT the defense (who would've thunk it).

Coach 57
10-05-2015, 09:25 PM
Just so I am hearing you right (Dancing Rabbit) you are saying we are more of a running team now based on 1 game when we've had almost half a season of fruit to show what you are saying is contradictory?