PDA

View Full Version : Can we all be in agreement on one thing

archdog
10-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Its time to get the younger playmakers some meaningful snaps.

We need a 2 headed monster at RB. Aeris and DLee.
Holloway can come in on special circumstances when we want a jet sweep option, but we need multiple backs in the game and take away the defense extra guys in pursuit. I could bring up various other young players, but I want to reach a consensus on this one point.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Yes but Aeris, Peters, & McLaurin all played a good bit Saturday. It's about them taking advantage of the increased p/t now.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Yes

FISHDAWG
10-05-2015, 12:44 PM
I think we all can call it what it really is ... we're rebuilding this year and everyone wants to act like we still have last years team and last years expectations ... I was guilty of it myself but if you think objectively and look back to what we lost then there is no other conclusion .... Mullen will continue to make mistakes as will all coaches at that level, but make no mistake about it - very few programs can lose what we did and not call it a rebuilding year .... take a look at our expectations and record and it's actually not a bad "re-building" year as compared to years past

Dawgtini
10-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Yes but Aeris, Peters, & McLaurin all played a good bit Saturday. It's about them taking advantage of the increased p/t now.

This. Aeris may see some reduction in his PT if he has another moment like he did saturday.

starkvegasdawg
10-05-2015, 12:47 PM

Holloway can come in on special circumstances when we want a jet sweep option, but we need multiple backs in the game and take away the defense extra guys in pursuit. I could bring up various other young players, but I want to reach a consensus on this one point.

I think we're already all in agreement on that. And for more positions than just RB. I'd love to see some diamond formation that we absolutely gashed defenses with at times last year.

I want to see everybody giving relentless effort...including the coaches. And if they can't get it done for whatever reason then it's time to remove and replace. I still like Mullen and not ready to see him go, but I do think he is the one pushing the bend but don't break defense. He admitted how much he liked that philosophy during the Auburn relentless video. My wish for Dan is that he puts the best players on the field and then leaves them on. This wholesale putting in backups has got to stop. If a 5th year senior wants to see the majority of the snaps then be the best player at the position. Earn it by on the field production and not how many tuition checks have been written.

Safeties...what can I say. We have to have the worst safety play in the SEC. I'm starting to think that is coaching and not lack of talent at the position. I know some will say how good of a recruiter Hughs is and we don't need to lose him. We tried keeping a good recruiter but poor X's and O's coach in basketball and we all saw that result.

Defensive line...They should be absolutely wreaking havoc yet they are not. Why? I'm not sure if they don't like being forced to watch half the game on the sideline because it is the 1B's turn or if it is just the scheme they are being forced to play. But Jones and James should be living in the backfield and they are rarely doing so. Most of our pass rush is coming from the end positions or from the rare blitz.

It seems as if our defense gets run out of the stadium in the first half and then seemingly figures it out in the second half. Our opponets have scored 64 points in the first half of our games but only 35 in the second half. What are we doing different after halftime? Do we gameplan that poorly every week that we have to make massive adjustments?

Bottom line is we have the talent on that team to be a New Year 6 caliber team. They've just got to be on the field at the same time and coached on how to play the game.

basedog
10-05-2015, 01:01 PM
I think we all can call it what it really is ... we're rebuilding this year and everyone wants to act like we still have last years team and last years expectations ... I was guilty of it myself but if you think objectively and look back to what we lost then there is no other conclusion .... Mullen will continue to make mistakes as will all coaches at that level, but make no mistake about it - very few programs can lose what we did and not call it a rebuilding year .... take a look at our expectations and record and it's actually not a bad "re-building" year as compared to years past

Totally agree.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 01:15 PM

Yes, this is correct. We were pretty much all in denial to some degree or another. I was for sure. I didn't think losing Robinson was that big a deal. It was.

Coach34
10-05-2015, 01:25 PM

we were a delay of game penalty away from having a legit FG attempt to beat the #7 team in the nation
we went on the road and really should have beaten another top 15 team

Thats not rebuilding. That's coaching and player mistakes taking away legit chances for victory. Player mistakes happen- coaching mistakes should be fewer and farther between

drunkernhelldawg
10-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Actually, that's true. The Auburn win is a big one. Near about had LSU beat at the end too.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 02:02 PM
we were a delay of game penalty away from having a legit FG attempt to beat the #7 team in the nation
we went on the road and really should have beaten another top 15 team

Thats not rebuilding. That's coaching and player mistakes taking away legit chances for victory. Player mistakes happen- coaching mistakes should be fewer and farther between

Maybe so. There is no denying our margin for error is not as great as it was last year though. We made several glaring mistakes in our two biggest wins last year, Auburn and LSU, but we were able to overcome them. We can't do that this year and expect to win against good teams.

Dawgbite
10-05-2015, 02:04 PM
This is a message board. There is no agreement on message boards!

State82
10-05-2015, 02:07 PM
coaching mistakes should be fewer and farther between

At $4,000,000 per year they should be very close to nonexistent.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-05-2015, 02:11 PM
At $4,000,000 per year they should be very close to nonexistent.

Well there should be 7 pissed off fan bases in the SEC West.

Jarius
10-05-2015, 02:17 PM
We gave up 6 points in the 2nd half. I'd say the younger guys held their own on defense. I hate that Market is injured, but maybe the silver lining is that the young guys will get enough reps against the weaker teams coming up and turn the corner by the time we hit the home stretch.

Beaver
10-05-2015, 02:18 PM
As of Nov 1. 2014, Kevin Sumlin "couldn't coach a lick" according to his fanbase.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Board/20/Contents/The-vote-is-in-Kevin-Sumlin-cant-coach-a-lick-32538312

Johnson85
10-05-2015, 02:21 PM

This is not a rebuilding year. We're rebuilding next year when we replace our all-time best QB, a first day draft pick at WR, a first day draft pick at DT, and our two best CBs (one of which will be in the NFL, the other which will get a chance), one starting DE, and our best OL.

HoopsDawg
10-05-2015, 02:28 PM

When you return a 5th year senior QB who is a Heisman contender and NFL prospect, it's not a rebuilding year. Do we have all the pieces in place to just show up and win? No. But it's not a rebuilding year.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 02:33 PM
This is not a rebuilding year. We're rebuilding next year when we replace our all-time best QB, a first day draft pick at WR, a first day draft pick at DT, and our two best CBs (one of which will be in the NFL, the other which will get a chance), one starting DE, and our best OL.

When you are replacing 3 offensive linemen and when two of them are playing out of their natural position (with one of those being the center) and a NFL running back if it's not a rebuilding year it's dang close. That doesn't include what we lost on defense.

MadDawg
10-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Rebuilding year? Shit, we have the talent to be in the playoff according to some. Don't know where the hell they see it, but by God we have and if not for a completely incompetent coaching staff we'd be undefeated and headed to Atlanta.

HoopsDawg
10-05-2015, 02:48 PM
When you are replacing 3 offensive linemen and when two of them are playing out of their natural position (with one of those being the center) and a NFL running back if it's not a rebuilding year it's dang close. That doesn't include what we lost on defense.

Center is Jamal Clayborn's natural position. That's what he signed him to eventually be. And we returned 4 guys on the O-line that had started SEC games. Not many teams in the country can say that.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Center is Jamal Clayborn's natural position. That's what he signed him to eventually be. And we returned 4 guys on the O-line that had started SEC games. Not many teams in the country can say that.

We returned 2 of our starters. We returned a couple more that had started a few games due to injuries or suspensions. That's not exactly the same thing as a returning starter. As for Clayborn I was going on all the published stuff during the run up to the season that said he hadn't played center since he was something like 11 years old. If I remember that wrong or if it was incorrect then I stand corrected.

NCDawg
10-05-2015, 02:58 PM

This is Mullen's 7 year, he shouldn't be rebuilding. When he was hired, he stated his goal was to get to Atlanta. Seems to me we are a long ways from getting to Atlanta. You're not going to get there without any semblance of a running game.

HoopsDawg
10-05-2015, 03:02 PM
We returned 2 of our starters. We returned a couple more that had started a few games due to injuries or suspensions. That's not exactly the same thing as a returning starter. As for Clayborn I was going on all the published stuff during the run up to the season that said he hadn't played center since he was something like 11 years old. If I remember that wrong or if it was incorrect then I stand corrected.

That is correct. But you said center wasn't his natural position. Our coaches feel like that's exactly what it is. College football is about turnover. Everyone deals with it every year. When you return a guy like Dak, it's not a rebuilding year, period. Not to mention the many other players we returned with experience at key positions. I really hate our coaches didn't have a LT replacement ready to go. They hoped Rankin would bail us out, but it didn't happen. I would consider next year to be a rebuilding year.

Political Hack
10-05-2015, 03:03 PM
We're two bone headed fumbles and final drive melt down away from being undefeated with two wins against top 15 teams.

If Dak hits a wide open Gabe Myles early in the game and we don't fumble twice down the stretch we walk out of there with a win.

We are not rebuilding. There is 1 team on our schedule capable of hammering us and that's a pissed off Alabama team. That's it. That's not "rebuilding" by Mississippi State standards.

Really Clark?
10-05-2015, 03:05 PM
This is Mullen's 7 year, he shouldn't be rebuilding. When he was hired, he stated his goal was to get to Atlanta. Seems to me we are a long ways from getting to Atlanta. You're not going to get there without any semblance of a running game.

Not saying we are in a big rebuild or not, but what does Mullen in his 7th year have to do with teams having to rebuild? There's not 10 teams in the country who can just reload year after year. Nearly every team has rebuild or transition years.

FISHDAWG
10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
When you return a 5th year senior QB who is a Heisman contender and NFL prospect, it's not a rebuilding year. Do we have all the pieces in place to just show up and win? No. But it's not a rebuilding year.

I think your wrong here Hoops ... one outstanding QB doesn't make a team. O-line lost some pretty good players, defense lost some pretty good players, lost a good slot recvr, ... at last count we placed 3 players into the NFL (not sure if I missed someone) ... and now we cant run the ball or rush the passer ... definitely not last yrs production and we have to work back to that level of play .... you're putting way to much emphasis on QB play alone

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-05-2015, 03:17 PM
I really hate John Hevesey didn't have a LT replacement ready to go. He hoped Rankin would bail him out, but it didn't happen.

Fixed it for you.

FISHDAWG
10-05-2015, 03:18 PM

everybody rebuilds unless you're SABAN ....LSU, Ohio State, Florida, & Oregon all rebuild .... if not they would be playing for NC every year

blacklistedbully
10-05-2015, 03:24 PM

It's hard to buy this when one considers we were a delay-of-game and missed FG from beating LSU, and a couple of untimely fumbles away from a different outcome with aTm.

In both our losses we stepped on our own dicks so hard, we cost ourselves at least one win and a shot at both. We pretty much owned aTm in the 2nd half if not for the TO's, dropped passes and uncharacteristically bad punting.

I could agree with you if we were clearly out-classed, but we weren't. In both games, had we eliminated unforced errors and bad breaks (for instance their crappy kickoff that bounced toward them and caused us to take possession around our 5), we are very likely undefeated and ranked in the top 10 today.

Jack Lambert
10-05-2015, 03:25 PM
They need to learn who and how to block and how to hold on to the ball when they have it. A Freshmen lost us a touch down.

War Machine Dawg
10-05-2015, 03:37 PM

I didn't think that was even in question. Both the older guys and the younger guys have had screw ups. The difference is the younger guys have freak athleticism. They'll make a few players the older guys won't just due to that alone. And the only way they're going to get experience is by actually playing. You can practice all you want, but things happen during games that just can't be replicated in practice. Throw Peters, McLaurin, JT Gray, Green, D Gray, Dear, Lee, and Williams out there. It isn't like they'd be replacing superstar JRs & SRs.

War Machine Dawg
10-05-2015, 03:38 PM
They need to learn who and how to block and how to hold on to the ball when they have it. A Freshmen lost us a touch down.

So did Concrete Shoes and he's a Junior. What's the difference?

basedog
10-05-2015, 03:40 PM
It's hard to buy this when one considers we were a delay-of-game and missed FG from beating LSU, and a couple of untimely fumbles away from a different outcome with aTm.

In both our losses we stepped on our own dicks so hard, we cost ourselves at least one win and a shot at both. We pretty much owned aTm in the 2nd half if not for the TO's, dropped passes and uncharacteristically bad punting.

I could agree with you if we were clearly out-classed, but we weren't. In both games, had we eliminated unforced errors and bad breaks (for instance their crappy kickoff that bounced toward them and caused us to take possession around our 5), we are very likely undefeated and ranked in the top 10 today.

What you said is pretty much how I feel. Punting has been so inconsistent, mental errors has played a big factor and that does include coaching.

archdog
10-05-2015, 04:07 PM
So we are in agreement then?

thunderclap
10-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Who fumbled and where?

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 04:15 PM
A QB can't do it all by himself, no matter how good he is. I take it some of you aren't old enough to remember when Archie Manning was playing for the Saints.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 04:16 PM
So we are in agreement then?

LOL. That's funny.

Jack Lambert
10-05-2015, 04:19 PM
So did Concrete Shoes and he's a Junior. What's the difference?

He'll at lest block. I am not argueing we should not play them. I think we should play the hell out of them the next two weeks and get them ready for KY.

BulldogBear
10-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Who fumbled and where?

A. Williams, inside 10 yard line

D. Wilson, not sure if I remember where. Their side of the field.

SheltonChoked
10-05-2015, 04:35 PM
So which $4,000,000/ per year coach should finish last? One has to you know.

FISHDAWG
10-05-2015, 04:40 PM
A QB can't do it all by himself, no matter how good he is. I take it some of you aren't old enough to remember when Archie Manning was playing for the Saints.

HA - hey Liver, I was an original brown bagger

Johnson85
10-05-2015, 05:10 PM

Then every year is a rebuilding year. Players finish out their eligibility or leave for the pros early every year. When you return a top college qb and return or upgrade your receiving corp, and have a lot of players on the the OL nad defense with a lot of experience, that's not really a rebuilding year. Had we recruited a little better on the offensive line and at RB, we'd be pretty good this year and this could have been our peak year rather than last year. We didn't, so we're not.

But next year, when we lose Dak, Bear, Chris Jones, Redmond, which are players that you're not just going to replace, plus losing your other starting CB in Calhouna nd don't have one obvious replacement at CB much less two, and you're also losing your best OL, then you are rebuilding. Those are players that you can't just replace. Hopefully, with our schedule flipping and us getting better on the Oline, we won't have too big of a drop off and we can get to 7 or 8 wins again. That will be a real accomplishment, to get that many wins in a rebuilding year. If we get to 8 wins this year, that will certainly be understandable, but still a little disappointing considering how many pieces fell in place.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 06:19 PM
HA - hey Liver, I was an original brown bagger

I never was a Saints fan but in Mississippi even back then you got to see a lot of them. Archie was good, but I seriously don't see how he lasted as long as he did. He got the crap beat out of him nearly every game. The team was awful.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Then every year is a rebuilding year. Players finish out their eligibility or leave for the pros early every year. When you return a top college qb and return or upgrade your receiving corp, and have a lot of players on the the OL nad defense with a lot of experience, that's not really a rebuilding year. Had we recruited a little better on the offensive line and at RB, we'd be pretty good this year and this could have been our peak year rather than last year. We didn't, so we're not.

But next year, when we lose Dak, Bear, Chris Jones, Redmond, which are players that you're not just going to replace, plus losing your other starting CB in Calhouna nd don't have one obvious replacement at CB much less two, and you're also losing your best OL, then you are rebuilding. Those are players that you can't just replace. Hopefully, with our schedule flipping and us getting better on the Oline, we won't have too big of a drop off and we can get to 7 or 8 wins again. That will be a real accomplishment, to get that many wins in a rebuilding year. If we get to 8 wins this year, that will certainly be understandable, but still a little disappointing considering how many pieces fell in place.

We lost the core of the line last year. Those guys had played a LOT of games and had been together a long time. If you are Bama and have ten 5 star linemen at all times then it might not be much of a drop. When most teams lose what we did on the line last year there will almost always be some sort of drop off. It takes time for them to learn to work together. Practice helps but there is no substitute for game experience.

IMissJack
10-05-2015, 06:35 PM
As of Nov 1. 2014, Kevin Sumlin "couldn't coach a lick" according to his fanbase.

http://tamu.247sports.com/Board/20/Contents/The-vote-is-in-Kevin-Sumlin-cant-coach-a-lick-32538312

But there has been no debate he can recruit 5* athletes. They are full of them. We have to step up recruiting. No coach alive could possibly make the right calls needed every week for 3* talent to beat 4&5* talent. The margin for error is too small.

Really Clark?
10-05-2015, 07:11 PM
But there has been no debate he can recruit 5* athletes. They are full of them. We have to step up recruiting. No coach alive could possibly make the right calls needed every week for 3* talent to beat 4&5* talent. The margin for error is too small.

TCU did a pretty good job last Saturday over Texas. And last year in the bowl game. I think some of your statement is true but only for the team's truly getting elite talent. But the margin for error in recruiting rankings is flawed with many teams as well. Teams constantly recruiting in the top 5-7 every year is going to be above the talent of the rest of the schools. But nobody is having to play against that type of talent every weekend either so a coach doesn't have to be perfect every weekend.

dawgs
10-05-2015, 07:42 PM
This. Aeris may see some reduction in his PT if he has another moment like he did saturday.

Yet we'll keep trotting shump out there after his goal line fumble able usm.

dawgs
10-05-2015, 07:48 PM
A. Williams, inside 10 yard line

D. Wilson, not sure if I remember where. Their side of the field.

De'runnya fumbled around midfield after a decent little catch and run for a 1st down.

maroonmania
10-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Rebuilding? Yes, we lost OL but EVERY lineman starting has been in the program for AT LEAST 3 years. But here's the deal, we were supposedly rebuilding in 2013 when we got to 6-6 behind 2 OT wins in our last 2 games. So then we get one good year and we are right back to rebuilding again? Are we going to rebuild in every odd year? Will we be rebuilding next year with a new QB and the potential of losing multiple JRs going pro after this year. I think calling this year a 'rebuilding year' is a cop out myself. The only place we are really young is at RB and that's because Shumpert is not what we hoped he'd be and Holloway is a scat back at best. Safety is an issue as well but that is because of recruiting issues. We have guys playing the position that have been in the program they just don't have great natural ability.

War Machine Dawg
10-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Yet we'll keep trotting shump out there after his goal line fumble able usm.

In the open field, holding the ball at his hip no less. At least Aeris was in traffic and holding it high. Not to mention the best DE in the nation is who poked it out, instead of some no name CUSA player.