PDA

View Full Version : RHP Paul Young

MsStateBaseball
10-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Today he pitched 2 innings, struck out 4, gave up no hits nor walks. I hope this is a turning point. I hope he can do this in 2016. Our bullpen would be excellent with him throwing like he did today.

Homedawg
10-04-2015, 09:59 PM
He's battling for one of 8 available spots. He's clearly not a certainty to even make the roster w his history

MsStateBaseball
10-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Why hasn't Billingsley or Gentry pitch yet?

Schultzy
10-04-2015, 10:08 PM
He just needs to live up to the talent he has, possible Friday night talent.

messageboardsuperhero
10-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Being a fall-american and doing it in the spring are two different things... I hope like hell he is our shutdown/fireball closer this season, but Young needs to prove that he is healthy and has his head on straight with a full commitment to being a part of this team. Then we can start talking about how much he will contribute.

MsStateBaseball
10-04-2015, 10:12 PM
At this point I want him to dominate one inning, 3 up 3 down. Concentrate and get it done.

messageboardsuperhero
10-04-2015, 10:13 PM
He just needs to live up to the talent he has, possible Friday night talent.

Dakota Hudson will be our Friday night starter- ask MLB scouts.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Today he pitched 2 innings, struck out 4, gave up no hits nor walks. I hope this is a turning point. I hope he can do this in 2016. Our bullpen would be excellent with him throwing like he did today.

Pics or it didn't happen. #Unicorns,BigFoot,&PaulYoung

MsStateBaseball
10-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Gene said it...

messageboardsuperhero
10-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Pics or it didn't happen. #Unicorns,BigFoot,&PaulYoung

He really did throw the ball better today than he has at any point since coming here. We'll see if he can hold up mentally and physically through an SEC season. The guy can most definitely sling it, but I have my doubts...

Taog Redloh
10-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Dakota Hudson will be our Friday night starter- ask MLB scouts.
Daniel Brown might have something to say about that by the end. I know, I know.....I see what Hudson is doing too. But remember I said this come the SEC season.

Todd4State
10-04-2015, 11:48 PM
Even if Young emerges, I can't see him getting a rotation spot right now because of Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Daniel Brown, and Houston. And as far as closer, I'd rather Houston be the closer than Young.

I would like to see Young be the midweek guy- just because he is coming off of Tommy John and he will be on some pitching limits. If he can give us five every Tuesday it would be really helpful.

To me, he is a bonus at this point and I'm not counting on him until we see that he actually makes the team first of all and then he actually performs.

bulldogcountry1
10-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Seems like our pitchers give up a lot of walks, still. I don't know if Cohen has them working with a tight zone or what, but it seems a bit on the high side.

It's hard to be to positive about an intrasquad scrimmage without finding a negative. Best case is that the top half the the pitching staff has success against our hitters, and the hitters have success against the bottom half. Either way, there will always be fall-americans that disappear in the spring and guys that struggle in the fall and show up ready to go in the spring. I hope Hump is one of the latter.

bulldogcountry1
10-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Even if Young emerges, I can't see him getting a rotation spot right now because of Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Daniel Brown, and Houston. And as far as closer, I'd rather Houston be the closer than Young.

I would like to see Young be the midweek guy- just because he is coming off of Tommy John and he will be on some pitching limits. If he can give us five every Tuesday it would be really helpful.

To me, he is a bonus at this point and I'm not counting on him until we see that he actually makes the team first of all and then he actually performs.

I'm still not sold on Sexton being a weekend guy. He had an overall decent year in 15. He started strong, but he just couldn't maintain it in the second half of the season. He also has a propensity to give up the long ball at nearly one per start, and his summer wasn't that impressive.

I hope I am wrong, but I just haven't seen the progress. He's likely already penciled in due to Cohen not linking to start freshmen on the weekends, but there will be some stiff competition behind him.

Taog Redloh
10-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Tatum does not need to be in the rotation. He's a bullpen guy, always was. The freshmen will probably start the midweek games along with the 4th weekend games early in the season.

I agree on Houston as the closer but since we have no closer yet, and Young struck out 4 guys over 2 innings, I see no reason why he can't get a shot.

engie
10-05-2015, 09:27 AM
One two inning stint isn't enough to tell us anything. Lets not speculate on roles until he does it a couple times in a row.

pilldawg
10-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Given the sentiment that Paul Young would not be back at MSU by several folks, I believe the coaches feel pretty good about him making the team or he would have already been gone.

shoeless joe
10-05-2015, 10:38 AM
I'm still not sold on Sexton being a weekend guy. He had an overall decent year in 15. He started strong, but he just couldn't maintain it in the second half of the season. He also has a propensity to give up the long ball at nearly one per start, and his summer wasn't that impressive.

I hope I am wrong, but I just haven't seen the progress. He's likely already penciled in due to Cohen not linking to start freshmen on the weekends, but there will be some stiff competition behind him.

Exact same thing coulda been posted about Stratton after his soph campaign...word for word.

shoeless joe
10-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Folks knowledgable about young's injury knew that he was unlikely to contribute much last season. In fact, now is the correct time frame for him to be back to/near 100%. Not that I expect him to do anything at this point but the disappointment in his lack of pitching last year was the result of uninformed message board speculation. Reality is and always has been that this upcoming season is when he'll be healthy and ready to do some things.