PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and long

msstate7
10-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Watching the saints vs Cowboys game and it was 3rd and 14 for Cowboys. The saints lined up with 4 down linemen and 7 along the first down line. Pretty much just allow anything short of line and then swarm to ball. What's the downfall of this? Seems like a solid strategy

smootness
10-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Watching the saints vs Cowboys game and it was 3rd and 14 for Cowboys. The saints lined up with 4 down linemen and 7 along the first down line. Pretty much just allow anything short of line and then swarm to ball. What's the downfall of this? Seems like a solid strategy

I'm not a football expert, but it seems to me like the potential downfall is having your players too focused on keeping the play in front of them, which could lead to something over the top if those guys are flat-footed at the first down line.

Also, it seems like, assuming they were spread out evenly, you could design a play pretty well that would send 2-3 blockers in front of a receiver to outnumber the defenders in that area.

I generally don't like sending no pressure on 3rd down and long. It works at times, but I would always err on the side of QB pressure.

defiantdog
10-04-2015, 10:04 PM

The receiver would still get behind Cleveland.