PDA

View Full Version : Braves Off-season Thread

BoomBoom
10-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Braves shutout the Cards for the entire season-ending series.

Pitching staff 2016 so far:
1. Teheran
2. Shelby Miller
3. Wisler
4/5. Minor/Weber/Perez/Buenalos/Folty/Jenkins

That's potentially a pretty good staff. Looks good for 2017 too. Vizcaino looks great as the closer, and there's enough arms behind him to potentially put out a really good pen. Pitching future looks bright.

I'm not even going to bother with the lineup. FF is probably the only above average hitter in the entire lineup. There's talent and money available to go get some though, so it'll be an interesting off-season. At some point this team HAS to overpay for a couple big bats. But i think they hold off until 2017 to spend the $$, both because of the ballpark and what's available.

Wish they had insisted on Hunter Renfroe from San Diego. happy to have Wisler though.

msstate7
10-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Wisler and Teheran closing strong has me feeling a little more optimistic headed into next season. I think we'll sign a FA and minor to close out the rotation.

Paco Rodriguez having TJ surgery was a big blow to the bullpen. Withrow and Simmons will certainly sure it up though. Vizcaino has been very good. Hopefully marksberry can make a jump bc we need some a lefty... I'd probably sign a lh reliever for sure.

I think we'll start with lineup like this...

C -- ?
1b -- FF
2b -- Peterson/Castro platoon
Ss -- Simmons
3b -- Olivera
LF -- FA/markakis
Cf -- Bourn/Mallex
Rf -- FA/markakis
Utility/ph -- Garcia

I'd love to sign weiters for catcher and a better RF... Move markakis to LF.

BoomBoom
10-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Wisler and Teheran closing strong has me feeling a little more optimistic headed into next season. I think we'll sign a FA and minor to close out the rotation.

Paco Rodriguez having TJ surgery was a big blow to the bullpen. Withrow and Simmons will certainly sure it up though. Vizcaino has been very good. Hopefully marksberry can make a jump bc we need some a lefty... I'd probably sign a lh reliever for sure.

I think we'll start with lineup like this...

C -- ?
1b -- FF
2b -- Peterson/Castro platoon
Ss -- Simmons
3b -- Olivera
LF -- FA/markakis
Cf -- Bourn/Mallex
Rf -- FA/markakis
Utility/ph -- Garcia

I'd love to sign weiters for catcher and a better RF... Move markakis to LF.

don't forget maybin. i think he starts in CF with Bourne backing him up, with Mallex in AAA. until June.

msstate7
10-04-2015, 07:44 PM
don't forget maybin. i think he starts in CF with Bourne backing him up, with Mallex in AAA. until June.

I've got a feeling he'll be traded. I just think we're planning on going with Mallex and Bourn. Have Bourn to mentor Mallex. Could certainly be wrong though

smootness
10-04-2015, 07:55 PM
I think Olivera can be an above-average bat as well. I think we may trade Bethancourt and sign a veteran catcher. You obviously have Simmons, Markakis, and Freeman as sure starters, and Peterson likely will be as well, though we may see Castro split time with him.

We definitely need another bat, and I think we may trade for it.

msstate7
10-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Maybe sign someone like Jordan zimmermann and re-visit the Teheran for soler trade.

I'd love to pry Braun from Brewers.

Personally, I think it's gonna be something much less spectacular like get Andre ethier

War Machine Dawg
10-04-2015, 08:20 PM
I've got a feeling he'll be traded. I just think we're planning on going with Mallex and Bourn. Have Bourn to mentor Mallex. Could certainly be wrong though

That would be literally the dumbest move we could make. Bourn is done. He's not even a shitty player anymore. That's an insult to shitty players. Last I heard, we like Maybin. He'd be a much better option, even as a bench player, than Bourn.

War Machine Dawg
10-04-2015, 08:21 PM
I think Olivera can be an above-average bat as well. I think we may trade Bethancourt and sign a veteran catcher. You obviously have Simmons, Markakis, and Freeman as sure starters, and Peterson likely will be as well, though we may see Castro split time with him.

I think we'll get a bat via free agency. I'm hoping for Yoenis Cespedes.

msstate7
10-04-2015, 08:32 PM
That would be literally the dumbest move we could make. Bourn is done. He's not even a shitty player anymore. That's an insult to shitty players. Last I heard, we like Maybin. He'd be a much better option, even as a bench player, than Bourn.

Maybin will cost us 8 million next year to keep him.

I don't think Bourn will be the every day guy, but for like the first month and then Mallex. Bourn actually played well last month though...

Last 30 games -- .272 avg .349 obp

War Machine Dawg
10-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Maybin will cost us 8 million next year to keep him.

I don't think Bourn will be the every day guy, but for like the first month and then Mallex. Bourn actually played well last month though...

Last 30 games -- .272 avg .349 obp

So you're taking one month over his last two years? I'm not. And who cares what Maybin costs. It's not like we don't have the cash. Hell, all we have is cash and prospects after we traded away almost everyone worth a damn.

msstate7
10-05-2015, 12:17 AM
So you're taking one month over his last two years? I'm not. And who cares what Maybin costs. It's not like we don't have the cash. Hell, all we have is cash and prospects after we traded away almost everyone worth a damn.

Rather spend money on starting pitcher, catcher, and corner outfielder.

I don't think Bourn is gonna be good. I think Mallex will be

War Machine Dawg
10-05-2015, 12:20 AM
Rather spend money on starting pitcher, catcher, and corner outfielder.

I don't think Bourn is gonna be good. I think Mallex will be

With all the pitching prospects, we'd be insane to spend more money on pitching. Throw the young guys and until someone steps up. I agree about spending our cash on catcher and corner OF. Tell me who I need to kill for us to sign Wieters and Cespedes. Those two would make us instantly better with an outside shot at being a Wild Card team next year.

msstate7
10-05-2015, 12:29 AM
With all the pitching prospects, we'd be insane to spend more money on pitching. Throw the young guys and until someone steps up. I agree about spending our cash on catcher and corner OF. Tell me who I need to kill for us to sign Wieters and Cespedes. Those two would make us instantly better with an outside shot at being a Wild Card team next year.

I don't think there's anyway the mets let YC out of NY.

I would love to have this rotation next season...

Miller
Teheran
Jordan zimmermann/Scott kazmir
Minor
Wisler

David price and greinke are pipe dreams, but zimmermann and kazmir are at least in the realm of possibility.

If we got the above rotation, we could be a decent team next year

War Machine Dawg
10-05-2015, 12:39 AM
We don't need more pitching. We need a bunch of damn bats. When you've got a pitcher who had a sub-2.5 ERA for most of the season and flirts with a major league record for consecutive losses, pitching isn't the problem. If we don't score runs, a staff that throws 162 shutouts is worthless.

And I'd be surprised if we retain Minor. Let him walk and be someone else's injury plagued problem. No sense in paying a #3 pitcher they money he'll get who can't stay healthy. There is jut no point in us spending money on free agent pitchers. Miller, Teheran, Wisler, Perez, Folty, Jenkins and a couple of others is good enough. If we're focused on '17 and really committed to this rebuild, we might as well run the young guys out there and live with them taking their lumps.

BoomBoom
10-05-2015, 06:32 AM
We don't need more pitching. We need a bunch of damn bats. When you've got a pitcher who had a sub-2.5 ERA for most of the season and flirts with a major league record for consecutive losses, pitching isn't the problem. If we don't score runs, a staff that throws 162 shutouts is worthless.

And I'd be surprised if we retain Minor. Let him walk and be someone else's injury plagued problem. No sense in paying a #3 pitcher they money he'll get who can't stay healthy. There is jut no point in us spending money on free agent pitchers. Miller, Teheran, Wisler, Perez, Folty, Jenkins and a couple of others is good enough. If we're focused on '17 and really committed to this rebuild, we might as well run the young guys out there and live with them taking their lumps.

Minor turned out to have had a torn labrum for awhile. It never showed up in scans, but they found it when they did exploratory surgery before this season. He's already throwing, amd the team doesnt have to make a decision until December, so the Braves should have a good idea of what they'll be getting if they keep him. $5M for a healthy Minor is a steal.

smootness
10-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Wieters is a name, but he wouldn't make us appreciably better. I thought we should go after him before he played this year, but he's just not good enough to warrant the contract.

In his last 240 or so games, he's been worth about 2 WAR. As a comparison, Pierzynski was worth almost 2 in just over 100 games this year.

Really Clark?
10-05-2015, 08:43 AM

I disagree about not needing pitching. We need bullpen pitching pretty bad. They may be thinking one or two of the young guys end up in the pen and need or because of them becoming relievers want to add another starter. We need bats and shore up other positions as well, but we need relievers also. We also don't know who may end up as trade pieces from our pitchers.

trob115
10-05-2015, 08:48 AM
I think we sign someone like Mike Leake. Kind of in the high second tier of free agen pitchers. I would also love to see us sign/trade for a big time outfielder. With the protected first round pick and cash to spend, Braves should make a move for a "splash" of some sort.

msstate7
10-05-2015, 09:10 AM
I think we sign someone like Mike Leake. Kind of in the high second tier of free agen pitchers. I would also love to see us sign/trade for a big time outfielder. With the protected first round pick and cash to spend, Braves should make a move for a "splash" of some sort.

Leake would be a good fit

Really Clark?
10-05-2015, 09:12 AM

I like Leake as well. Mentioned him earlier in the year. Got to see where the market is though. It seems they may wait on a big bat until next year unless they can get the right deal or trade. But they have to make a catcher move of some sort.

shoeless joe
10-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Cespedes is the opposite of what they set out to accomplish last year when they blew the whole thing up. If Zimmerman was a possibility I'd be after him as hard as possible. Kazmir I could take or leave either way. They need a couple bats and gettin a top tier started could help by moving some youngsters to the pen.

BoomBoom
10-05-2015, 05:49 PM
I disagree about not needing pitching. We need bullpen pitching pretty bad. They may be thinking one or two of the young guys end up in the pen and need or because of them becoming relievers want to add another starter. We need bats and shore up other positions as well, but we need relievers also. We also don't know who may end up as trade pieces from our pitchers.

don't forget we get 3 top bullpen arms back from injury next year, Simmons, Withrow, and Grilli. we will probably sign a couple of projects, like always, low risk high reward, but we are fine in the pen.

Really Clark?
10-05-2015, 06:02 PM
don't forget we get 3 top bullpen arms back from injury next year, Simmons, Withrow, and Grilli. we will probably sign a couple of projects, like always, low risk high reward, but we are fine in the pen.

Yeah but until they actually throw and you see what you have wth them you can't just rely on them to shore up the pen.

BoomBoom
10-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Yeah but until they actually throw and you see what you have wth them you can't just rely on them to shore up the pen.

i guess, but bullpen arms normally come back fine. Grilli will be 40, so that surely doesn't apply to him.

msstate7
10-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Gonna need a lh reliever. I don't wanna count on just marksberry

Really Clark?
10-05-2015, 07:04 PM
i guess, but bullpen arms normally come back fine. Grilli will be 40, so that surely doesn't apply to him.

Well with Grilli it was ACL anyway but yeah he may have another come back year in him or could tank. That's another thing that's iffy with relievers, they can be really up and down from one year to the next. I agree with State7 to, really need to get a really good lefty unless it is a young projected starter we intend to use in that spot next year. Be nice to have a really good late inning lefty as well.

BoomBoom
10-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Well with Grilli it was ACL anyway but yeah he may have another come back year in him or could tank. That's another thing that's iffy with relievers, they can be really up and down from one year to the next. I agree with State7 to, really need to get a really good lefty unless it is a young projected starter we intend to use in that spot next year. Be nice to have a really good late inning lefty as well.

yeah, but those are hard to come by, and we have one already for 2017.

Really Clark?
10-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Saw where Shae Simmons is not projected to be back until next May at the earliest. The front office is stating that the pen is going to be the biggest part addressed this offseason, offense, catcher and possibly another starter but pen is going to be a big focus then it looks like what they can get done in the other areas. Speculation is they will have $25-30 MIL to spend this year and another good bump next year for the opening of the new stadium. We will see what they do.

msstate7
11-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Braves signed AJ to 1 year deal

BoomBoom
11-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Saw where Shae Simmons is not projected to be back until next May at the earliest. The front office is stating that the pen is going to be the biggest part addressed this offseason, offense, catcher and possibly another starter but pen is going to be a big focus then it looks like what they can get done in the other areas. Speculation is they will have $25-30 MIL to spend this year and another good bump next year for the opening of the new stadium. We will see what they do.

maybe they are saying that because that is the only place they expect to sign anybody? working the expectations game for the fanbase?

BoomBoom
11-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Braves signed AJ to 1 year deal

yep. and Andrelton wins Defensive Player of the Year after getting snubbed for a Gold Glove, which have always been a joke. Raffy sends his condolences to Simmons.

msstate7
11-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Looks like Olivera will be LF. Any predictions on 3b? Surely we won't rely on Garcia every day

War Machine Dawg
11-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Braves are talking to a couple of NL West clubs about a Simmons trade. Padres have been named, the other team is unnamed. What the hell are the Three Johns thinking? If we move Simba, we better be getting at least one HUGE bat in return.

msstate7
11-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Braves are talking to a couple of NL West clubs about a Simmons trade. Padres have been named, the other team is unnamed. What the hell are the Three Johns thinking? If we move Simba, we better be getting at least one HUGE bat in return.

Maybe we can get kemp**

We're supposedly building with pitching. Why the hell would you trade our pitchers' best asset? We're below average defensively in the OF, 3b (right now anyway), and catcher

msstate7
11-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Now if we can get arenado from Colorado... Let's do it. Maybe get CarGo too

Dawg61
11-12-2015, 12:30 PM

Hmmm that is interesting. Giants have Crawford so I doubt they are the team. Rockies have Reyes and he's in hot water for domestic violence so that makes zero sense for the Braves to want him. Dodgers have Seager so not gonna be them. The D'Backs have nobody at SS worth a shit so they could be a possibility. Padres and D'Backs are my guess to the two West teams.

msstate7
11-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Hmmm that is interesting. Giants have Crawford so I doubt they are the team. Rockies have Reyes and he's in hot water for domestic violence so that makes zero sense for the Braves to want him. Dodgers have Seager so not gonna be them. The D'Backs have nobody at SS worth a shit so they could be a possibility. Padres and D'Backs are my guess to the two West teams.

Supposedly Rockies want SS and pitching

Dawg61
11-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Now if we can get arenado from Colorado... Let's do it. Maybe get CarGo too

Arenado is a top ten bat and an even better defensive player. No way the Rockies trade him. CarGo though could be gotten though I think. Corey Dickerson and Charlie Blackmon are good hitters too.

msstate7
11-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Arenado is a top ten bat and an even better defensive player. No way the Rockies trade him. CarGo though could be gotten though I think. Corey Dickerson and Charlie Blackmon are good hitters too.

Supposedly arenado unhappy

Dawg61
11-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Supposedly Rockies want SS and pitching

Giants have another SS/2b (name is escaping me) that is pretty well thought of in the minors and now have two MLB 2b in Panik and Tomlinson. I doubt Brandon Crawford is going anywhere because he's very well liked in SF and he's a phenomenal defensive player (Simmons has better range and arm). Crawford's bat is better than Simmons. I do not think the Giants are the West team talking to the Braves about Simmons because that trade really makes no sense for either team. Now you could possibly get Tomlinson, Matt Cain, Brandon Belt, and Chris Heston but it's going to cost you Teheran and/or Shelby Miller. I doubt the Giants want to trade Panik but he was hurt most of last year with a pinched nerve.

Dawg61
11-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Supposedly arenado unhappy

Arenado and CarGo look like future Yankees to me

MSUDawg13
11-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Arenado and CarGo look like future Yankees to me

And there goes Simba. I hate these moves the front office is making. Braves always seem to have been bad at trades. I can't think of any that we have come out way ahead on and I've been a Braves fan for 20 years

msstate7
11-12-2015, 07:13 PM
And there goes Simba. I hate these moves the front office is making. Braves always seem to have been bad at trades. I can't think of any that we have come out way ahead on and I've been a Braves fan for 20 years
Wow...Newcombe better be good

BoomBoom
11-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Wow...Newcombe better be good

supposedly better than anyone in the system.

BrunswickDawg
11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
That may do it for me. I am sure Freeman is next. I've been a Braves fan since birth. I suffered through the late 70s and late 80s shit teams. Wren made some bad deals, but this is just another salary dump. Freddie will be gone by Spring training - book it.

I hope they lose their ass moving to Smyrna. ****ers!

msstate7
11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
supposedly better than anyone in the system.

Hopefully he pans out.

As much as I'm gonna miss watching Simmons play defense, I'm not gonna miss him corkscrewing himself in the ground swinging the bat. I love his defense though...

msstate7
11-12-2015, 07:26 PM
That may do it for me. I am sure Freeman is next. I've been a Braves fan since birth. I suffered through the late 70s and late 80s shit teams. Wren made some bad deals, but this is just another salary dump. Freddie will be gone by Spring training - book it.

I hope they lose their ass moving to Smyrna. ****ers!

I think Teheran more likely than FF

Dawg61
11-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports Angels' top prospect Sean Newcomb was traded to the Braves in the deal for Andrelton Simmons.
To make an omelette like Simmons you have to break a few eggs, and Newcomb was the biggest egg the Angels had in trade talks. The 2014 first-round pick advanced to Double-A in 2015, finishing with a 2.38 ERA and 168 strikeouts in 136 innings across three levels overall. He'll join a Braves organization that has been stockpiling young pitching talent in recent years.

Braves also get Erick Aybar

Dawg61
11-12-2015, 07:37 PM
168 strikeouts in 136 innings is impressive but losing a phenomenal defensive player that was under team control till 2020 for him is tough to swallow

BrunswickDawg
11-12-2015, 07:38 PM
Forgot we still had Teheran. He gone too.

Seriously, I had no problem with Heyward because he needed the change. The Ups were bad deals and we got what we could. We lost 5 prime years of Simba for a 31 year old SS with 1 year left on a deal and two arms who probably won't pan out.

They deserve the traffic hell they are moving the team to.

BoomBoom
11-12-2015, 07:55 PM

Gammons treated earlier today that the FO had decided that they needed to trade one of Simmons or Teheran, due to their contracts. i get it. everyone says they are building for 2017, but it's more like 2018 based on the talent they've gotten back. they appear to have realized it too. and Simmons and Teheran's contracts were a bit back heavy. knowing that, it makes sense to not pay them big $ for two years they won't be competing yet. and Simmons is more of a "sell high" player right now.

shoeless joe
11-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Braves have historically been terrible at signing FA but usually do decent in trades...especially the selling high portion. I hate to see him go but with all the arms the braves are getting they will have the ammo to fill needs when the time arises.

War Machine Dawg
11-12-2015, 11:52 PM
We got the Angels top 2 prospects, Aybar, and a C prospect. That's solid value. Not what I'd have liked, but it's damn good value. It's almost unheard of to get the #1 & #2 prospects from a team. The downside: Buster Olney tweeted "Big arm, wild as hell" in regards to Newcombe.

We're still shopping Maybin and someone else, but I don't remember who. Love what my friends said after this deal: "Might as well just start calling them the Atlanta 76ers......Trade Freeman now. Burn this mother****er down, Johnny!"

Seriously, this last year of the Three Johns has me ready to slit my wrists. I'm assuming since we have an absolute assload of pitching prospects we're going to flip a few for bats, but holy shit I this team is gonna be ****ing terrible. And I don't see any way we're competitive in 2017. Word is management wants to spend less this year than they did last year. So unless we're sitting on a huge mound of cash and are going boom or bust in the 2016 offseason, I have no ****ing idea where the improvement, particularly at the plate, is coming from.

trob115
11-13-2015, 08:54 AM
I wish the Braves would have gotten back top end hitting prospects. We still don't have a 3b and there doesn't appear to be one in the minors that is ready( that I know of). I know everyone values pitching, but this move may cost us big time. We had Simmons on the cheap for 5 years, so these guys better pan out to be the real deal. I am not sure why we didn't keep Simmons and move Albies to 2nd.

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2015, 09:34 AM
I wish the Braves would have gotten back top end hitting prospects. We still don't have a 3b and there doesn't appear to be one in the minors that is ready( that I know of). I know everyone values pitching, but this move may cost us big time. We had Simmons on the cheap for 5 years, so these guys better pan out to be the real deal. I am not sure why we didn't keep Simmons and move Albies to 2nd.

The weakness for the Braves over the past 30 years has been developing hitting talent. They don't seem to be able to recognize it in the draft or produce guys in the system to come up and be productive long term. They sure as hell haven't been able to trade for it or sign it as a FA either. To me, they needed to get bats and lots of them. Atlanta has become a hitters graveyard of shit decisions and blown "top hitting prospects". Chipper, Freddie, and McCann are the only 3 consistent hitters they have developed in the past 30 years. Maybe Andrew Jones - who was consistently playing below his talent level, but was at least consistent. I don't care how good of a pitching staff you assemble, if you can't score you lose.

War Machine Dawg
11-13-2015, 09:55 AM
The weakness for the Braves over the past 30 years has been developing hitting talent. They don't seem to be able to recognize it in the draft or produce guys in the system to come up and be productive long term. They sure as hell haven't been able to trade for it or sign it as a FA either. To me, they needed to get bats and lots of them. Atlanta has become a hitters graveyard of shit decisions and blown "top hitting prospects". Chipper, Freddie, and McCann are the only 3 consistent hitters they have developed in the past 30 years. Maybe Andrew Jones - who was consistently playing below his talent level, but was at least consistent. I don't care how good of a pitching staff you assemble, if you can't score you lose.

David Justice and Jermaine Dye say hello.

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2015, 10:10 AM
David Justice and Jermaine Dye say hello.

I'll give you Justice, but Dye did almost none of that with the Braves. So I should add a category of "didn't recognize or care for the talent they had". Dye, Prado, Brett Butler, etc.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2015, 12:46 PM
The way Austin Riley was tearing it up, how quickly does he move up? I also saw a report that the Braves revenue was down $16 million last year from the previous year. I could see it dropping even more next year. We don't have someone trying to move the team to Miami do we?

I really hope they don't have a picture of Wren in his underwear in the club house. I doubt it gets Wild Thing to pitch better this go around. Corbin Bernsen might actually be able to play 3rd this year. We just resigned AJ so we already have the broken down old catcher. Just picked up a pitcher from LA with a big arm and no control.

BrunswickDawg
11-13-2015, 01:13 PM
The way Austin Riley was tearing it up, how quickly does he move up? I also saw a report that the Braves revenue was down $16 million last year from the previous year. I could see it dropping even more next year. We don't have someone trying to move the team to Miami do we?

I really hope they don't have a picture of Wren in his underwear in the club house. I doubt it gets Wild Thing to pitch better this go around. Corbin Bernsen might actually be able to play 3rd this year. We just resigned AJ so we already have the broken down old catcher. Just picked up a pitcher from LA with a big arm and no control.

Does that make Hector Olivera our Pedro Cerrano? He's Cuban, so I am sure he has a Jobu in his locker.

BoomBoom
11-13-2015, 01:40 PM

Austin Riley is at least 2 years away. Same with albies and most of their pitching prospects. Thats why playing for 2018 is smarter than 2017.

War Machine Dawg
11-13-2015, 07:37 PM
And right on cue, the WWL is reporting the Cardinals are interested in trading for Freeman. We really are going to burn the mother****er down. Let's just go all in and trade Teheran & Markakis too. #1 pick 2016, here we come!

msstate7
11-13-2015, 07:45 PM
And right on cue, the WWL is reporting the Cardinals are interested in trading for Freeman. We really are going to burn the mother****er down. Let's just go all in and trade Teheran & Markakis too. #1 pick 2016, here we come!

Need a pitcher for FF**

War Machine Dawg
11-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Need a pitcher for FF**

Braves have either traded for or drafted 35 pitchers in the last year.

msstate7
11-13-2015, 08:02 PM
Braves have either traded for or drafted 35 pitchers in the last year.

Yeah I love pitching, but jeez...

msstate7
12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
So... Do we hold inciarte or trade him? Unless someone really overpays, I hope we keep him

BoomBoom
12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
So... Do we hold inciarte or trade him? Unless someone really overpays, I hope we keep him

Depends on what you think of his bat. Consensu opinion seems to he that he will be a better hitter and defender than Mallex. I dont think I agree about the hitting. Id trade him. Bourn and Mallex can handle CF, and if Mallex doesnt pan out you can buy a CF as good as Inciarte for 2017 or 2018 on the FA market. Id want prospects that fill gaps in the farm though, like power hitting OF in AA already, but those are hard to come by.

smootness
12-17-2015, 02:52 PM

I agree. I'm not against trading him, but it has to be a clear win for us. Inciarte is an answer moving forward.

smootness
12-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Depends on what you think of his bat. Consensu opinion seems to he that he will be a better hitter and defender than Mallex. I dont think I agree about the hitting. Id trade him. Bourn and Mallex can handle CF, and if Mallex doesnt pan out you can buy a CF as good as Inciarte for 2017 or 2018 on the FA market. Id want prospects that fill gaps in the farm though, like power hitting OF in AA already, but those are hard to come by.

Who are those CF in FA? It's not nearly as easy as you seem to think to find a guy like Inciarte on the FA market...which is exactly why so many teams have called us interested in Inciarte.

BoomBoom
12-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Who are those CF in FA? It's not nearly as easy as you seem to think to find a guy like Inciarte on the FA market...which is exactly why so many teams have called us interested in Inciarte.

For this year. Go check the FA lists for 2017 and 2018. Its insane. Especially since he'll be deep in arbitration by then. If he hits 750 OPS he's the CF. But theres a good chance he'll be under 700. And what do we do with Mallex in the meantime? Probably play both of them, whoch means Inciarte will be playing a corner spot and hitting way below average there. I'm not saying trade him, but it would make some sense, as he may prove to be a 4th OF, and we could get way more value than that for him now.

MetEdDawg
12-17-2015, 08:01 PM
To add, Chipper is returning to the organization as a special advisor to the operations department. I'll be interested to see what this leads to. I have to imagine at some point in the future we want him as the hitting coach. With all the young guys in this organization, getting Chipper involved in some sort of development plan to prepare this wealth of youth for the big time would be a really good role for him.

His role isn't specific yet, so I'll be interested to see what his official duties are.

Really Clark?
12-17-2015, 08:03 PM
To add, Chipper is returning to the organization as a special advisor to the operations department. I'll be interested to see what this leads to. I have to imagine at some point in the future we want him as the hitting coach. With all the young guys in this organization, getting Chipper involved in some sort of development plan to prepare this wealth of youth for the big time would be a really good role for him.

His role isn't specific yet, so I'll be interested to see what his official duties are.

He will probably be doing a good bit of hitting instruction

BoomBoom
12-17-2015, 08:37 PM
He will probably be doing a good bit of hitting instruction

probably roving instructor. sounds like he doesn't want a day job. i'd pair him with similar-style top prospects and let him take swings with them from time to time, like Dansby Swanson.

MetEdDawg
12-17-2015, 09:05 PM
probably roving instructor. sounds like he doesn't want a day job. i'd pair him with similar-style top prospects and let him take swings with them from time to time, like Dansby Swanson.

This all day. Chipper I think is still struggling being near the game day to day, but also being away for too long. I think this might be a fantastic way to ease him back in and take the best of both worlds where he doesn't have assigned duties per say, but he gets to be around the game some. Put him around some guys who are very similar to where he was at this stage in his career and kind of work on the mental and physical aspect of the game with them. Perfect fit for him and I think a huge value add to the organization.

Todd4State
12-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Freeman fits the Cardinals. I don't know that the Cardinals have enough to get him though unless it is a straight up salary dump. Pretty sure Matt Adams would be included if I had to guess.

The Cardinals best bargaining chip was Lance Lynn- and now he had Tommy John surgery. Our GM is a complete idiot, and unless he starts to pull off some major trades like one for Freeman or at the trade deadline, I wouldn't be shocked if the Cardinals fire him. The Cardinals are trying to go in a different direction and Mo is trying and failing right now.

Todd4State
12-17-2015, 09:34 PM
This all day. Chipper I think is still struggling being near the game day to day, but also being away for too long. I think this might be a fantastic way to ease him back in and take the best of both worlds where he doesn't have assigned duties per say, but he gets to be around the game some. Put him around some guys who are very similar to where he was at this stage in his career and kind of work on the mental and physical aspect of the game with them. Perfect fit for him and I think a huge value add to the organization.

Every MLB team does this for their "greats". Hang out with the team, sign autographs for the fans and then have a nice check.

MetEdDawg
12-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Every MLB team does this for their "greats". Hang out with the team, sign autographs for the fans and then have a nice check.

He's going to do more than that I believe. I think he's going to actually be working with guys. I think we wanted him to be the hitting coach 2 seasons ago and he wasn't ready. This is the entry for him. He's going to eventually be an every day guy for the organization I believe.

BoomBoom
12-17-2015, 09:59 PM

except Chipper actually does know a ton about hitting, especially switch hitting, and has expressed interest in being a hitting coach. he just appears to be enjoying his free time a whole lot though.

Todd4State
12-17-2015, 10:12 PM
He's going to do more than that I believe. I think he's going to actually be working with guys. I think we wanted him to be the hitting coach 2 seasons ago and he wasn't ready. This is the entry for him. He's going to eventually be an every day guy for the organization I believe.

Sometimes it works out great like McGwire did for the Cardinals and then the Dodgers and now maybe San Diego. If it were me, I would just do it on the side if I were him. A lot less scrutiny and more security doing it that way. And he still gets to do what he wants to do.