PDA

View Full Version : WMD's AC QB: 2012 Redux Edition

War Machine Dawg
10-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Peeps, finally getting around to linking the 2012 Redux Edition of AC QB (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/10/4/9448141/wmd-armchair-qb-2012-redux-edition-msu-bulldogs-texas-am-aggies-dan-mullen-dak-prescott). Fair warning, this is probably my longest AC QB ever, but it covers a whole lot of ground. Can't wait to discuss it with you.

1bigdawg
10-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Good write-up. We have a real problem with fundamentals and toughness that could be the beginning of a long term problem.

1) Carrying the ball in the wrong hand. - Aeris
2) Carrying the ball like a loaf of bread. De'Runnya last night, but others throughout the season. How many high school coaches make players carry the ball around all the time to teach them?
3) Our lines are not punishing people, but then neither is the rest of the team.
Both lines seem more like they are leaning into the other team. They are not hitting hard or using there hands well. They seem more concerned with going the right direction than winning the battle.
4) Several starters are still having problems tackling.
5) Recovering fumbles. Our opponents have been putting it on the ground, but their guys seem to get there first. A few times is position and coincidence, but when it happens over and over, it is desire (or strain if you prefer).
6) Speaking of fumble, we don't seem to be even trying to create them except in very rare cases.

These are problems that have to be remedied and have nothing to do with talent or scheme.

DanDority
10-04-2015, 08:39 PM
That was a very well written piece, WMD. I think I agree with all of it.

justwin
10-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Coman is worse than Evans, Cleveland, and Jackson. Coman is the "cooler" this year. I can't recall Coman making a good play all year & that's not on the coaches. Keep going back to him looking embarrassingly drapped all over the NWST qb end of the first drive. Last night, the first TD on 4th and 1 where they had to rollout was Coman's man, the second 4th & 1 we ended stopping them on where Richie made the play in the 2H was first completely whiffed by Coman, and of course the non-pic. Any other SEC player not only pics that off but goes for 6. At least those other 3 have made a few positive plays so far. I've seen Jackson and Cleveland make some TFLs and open field tackles, but have seen nothing from Coman. Even Shump has given us something.

Coman is not an SEC player.

I don't care that Peters doesn't know the system, play him. He would've picked 6 that int. Yes, I saw Peters make some mistakes last night. Peters, McLaurin, and Bryant should be starting going into KY.

Mullen doesn't know how to use RBs. In 2012, the issue wasn't Russell, the issue was not using our best RB, Robinson or Griffin, effectively between the tackles. Last night, Carson got 26 carries for only 110 yards. You can't tell me that if Lee & Williams & Dear split 26 between them that it wouldn't be 200+ regardless of opponent. Holloway should only be pitched the ball, not handed to. LWD are J-Rob's role from 2012.

I thought Fred Ross played remarkably well. Need to get him in the endzone. At some point, Fred Brown is going to make a catch in traffic. Dak threw a beautiful deep ball to him in back of the endzone that hit him in the facemask.

Finally, I didn't see it mentioned, but Myles Garrett is an ANIMAL. The only solace I take in this loss is that we've lost to the two best players in CFB dominating us. Fournette, not LSU, beat us & Garrett, not TXAM, beat us. He caused the Aeris fumble, abused the Donut eater all night, tipped passes, played the screen well, slid over easily, stunted, TFLs, and on and on and on. Garrett, unlike Nkem, is what a first rounder DL looks like. He was in on every play, it seemed. high motor, athletic, coachable, just a tremendous performance by him. Nothing about him is coaching, it's all football player. I was very impressed with how naturally dominating he was the entire night. He must be really smart.

defiantdog
10-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Good write-up. We have a real problem with fundamentals and toughness that could be the beginning of a long term problem.

1) Carrying the ball in the wrong hand. - Aeris
2) Carrying the ball like a loaf of bread. De'Runnya last night, but others throughout the season. How many high school coaches make players carry the ball around all the time to teach them?
3) Our lines are not punishing people, but then neither is the rest of the team.
Both lines seem more like they are leaning into the other team. They are not hitting hard or using there hands well. They seem more concerned with going the right direction than winning the battle.
4) Several starters are still having problems tackling.
5) Recovering fumbles. Our opponents have been putting it on the ground, but their guys seem to get there first. A few times is position and coincidence, but when it happens over and over, it is desire (or strain if you prefer).
6) Speaking of fumble, we don't seem to be even trying to create them except in very rare cases.

These are problems that have to be remedied and have nothing to do with talent or scheme.

AJ is killing it right now. With his low center of gravity, he is destroying every LT he faces. Jones seems frustrated in his role as being a gap eater. But he needs to humble up and work. I agree with James and Ry Brown..... James has lost his mean streak and Ry Brown needs utilize his speed more. He's trying to bull rush RT's that are 100 lbs more than him.

Our OL is weak. I miss Day and Beckwith beating the crap out of opposing DTs. Yeah sure, they may have been a little dirty time to time..... but they made sure they hit the guy infront of them first. We need a better option to Warren. It's sad when an announcer calls you out on national television to man up.

1bigdawg
10-05-2015, 08:00 AM
AJ is killing it right now. With his low center of gravity, he is destroying every LT he faces. Jones seems frustrated in his role as being a gap eater. But he needs to humble up and work. I agree with James and Ry Brown..... James has lost his mean streak and Ry Brown needs utilize his speed more. He's trying to bull rush RT's that are 100 lbs more than him.

Our OL is weak. I miss Day and Beckwith beating the crap out of opposing DTs. Yeah sure, they may have been a little dirty time to time..... but they made sure they hit the guy infront of them first. We need a better option to Warren. It's sad when an announcer calls you out on national television to man up.

I should have made an exception for AJ. He is playing tough. The rest need to step up.

On the OL, Day was not the best center and got beat a good bit, but you knew he was going to be physical and fight with everything he had. Name 1 OL that we have now that you feel that way about. None.

On Warren getting called out: He played better than most are giving him credit for. He got backed up one time for a sack and that looked bad. However, most of the pressure on Dak came from twists which he handled pretty well. I am not saying he is great or playing tough, but he is not as bad as he is being given credit for.

thf24
10-05-2015, 08:24 AM
I'm not too down on Warren and the OL, because Myles Garrett has done and will continue to do that to just about everyone he faces one-on-one this year. I think the fault lies more with Mullen trying to go with 4-WR and empty sets throughout the game and not giving Warren much help on Garrett, although I do realize that would have closed the playbook up a good bit.

Completely agreed on everything else, good read as usual.