PDA

View Full Version : We need an Art Briles or Gary Patterson

Op4isabitch
10-04-2015, 03:02 PM
I'd prefer Briles. Which begs the question, how can he be so damn successful at Baylor? He has the best team in the state of Texas and it isn't even close. All the while competing for players with Texas,TCU and aTm. Not to mention Oklahoma and all of the surrounding schools.

Is it just a superior coaching staff?

Taog Redloh
10-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Are you kidding me bro? Already talking about new coaches? At least the Hud talk has died down. So, can we maybe at least attempt not to go full retard until maybe the Kentucky or Mizzou game?

Here's the thing...Baylor isn't the top team in Texas. That is probably the bunch we played last night. That's pretty much the thing.

In addition, what gets it done in the Big 12 isn't the same sauce as what is needed in the SEC, week in and week out.

Bully13
10-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Stupid shit

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-04-2015, 03:33 PM
They don't play in the SEC West and would not be nearly as successful coaching in it.

Art Briles only won 10 games 1 time while coaching at Houston in Conf USA, and they year he won 10 he had to have the conference championship game, and a bowl win to get there. Also, went 33-30 in his first 5 years at Baylor.

patterson dominated the Mountain west for years (congratulations*), after coming over to the BIG 12 (who are a joke as a conference by the way) TCU went 11-14 in his first 2 years in the conference.

Yes both of these teams have had some recent success on the big stage, but this whole "the grass is always greener" mentality is false. Mullen makes some mistakes, but is the best coach we have ever had. We are in a great era of MSU football. Just try to enjoy it.

defiantdog
10-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Are you kidding me bro? Already talking about new coaches? At least the Hud talk has died down. So, can we maybe at least attempt not to go full retard until maybe the Kentucky or Mizzou game?

Here's the thing...Baylor isn't the top team in Texas. That is probably the bunch we played last night. That's pretty much the thing.

In addition, what gets it done in the Big 12 isn't the same sauce as what is needed in the SEC, week in and week out.

I actually agree with your posts on this new username. Maybe turning your name backwards has channeled an alter ego that we can all agree with......

Op4isabitch
10-04-2015, 03:52 PM
So none of you would take Art Briles or Gary Patterson over Mullen?

edited:

I'm not calling for one of these guys to be our coach.

I'm making a point that these guys go balls to the wall, I guess I should have said Patterson or Briles "type" coach. Personally I'd like a Briles "type" the best out of those two coaches.

I like Mullen, I think he has improved our program immensely. What I wish he'd do is stop with the square peg into a round hole type of play calling and player utilization.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2015, 03:57 PM
We have to consistently recruit better. If Dan is dead set on playing junior/senior players over freshmen/sophmores then we need better talent throughout. We can't have a top 20 class then have a 35 or 40 rated class. Dan is also a young head coach so he hopefully is growing as our program grows.

The only thing is Dan threw everything at LSU, A&M, and AU last year and since then he seems to play not to lose in the first half. The problem is he is great with a lead in the 2nd half but his play calling is causing us to play from behind which we are not good at.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Talk about dumb shit!

I'd prefer a coach who doesn't take in known rapists. (Briles)

And everyone is looking for a coach that can win them 10 + games a season. Shocker*

While we are at it I'll take Saban, Urban Meyer, The ghost of either Bear Bryant or Vince Lombardi, or Bill Belichick

Op4isabitch
10-04-2015, 04:13 PM
I'd prefer a coach who doesn't take in known rapists. (Briles)

And everyone is looking for a coach that can win them 10 + games a season. Shocker*

While we are at it I'll take Saban, Urban Meyer, The ghost of either Bear Bryant or Vince Lombardi, or Bill Belichick

Man I get it, you like Mullen. That's cool, I do too. My point is that for $4 mil a year he needs to be making better in game coaching decisions.
We aren't paying him that sort of coin to leave critical time outs on the board etc.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-04-2015, 04:22 PM
All coaches make mistakes, even Saban. Him petitioning to put that second back on the clock in the 13' Iron Bowl cost his team a huge rivalry game, the SECW, the SEC Champ, and a shot at the national champ. All in one bad decision.

I do like Mullen, but won't defend him in everything he does. The TO in the LSU game was bad, but getting rid of him would be a nuke to the MSU football program. That is what I am getting at.

Todd4State
10-04-2015, 04:40 PM

edited:

I'm not calling for one of these guys to be our coach.

I'm making a point that these guys go balls to the wall, I guess I should have said Patterson or Briles "type" coach. Personally I'd like a Briles "type" the best out of those two coaches.

I like Mullen, I think he has improved our program immensely. What I wish he'd do is stop with the square peg into a round hole type of play calling and player utilization.

Briles- no. Patterson- yes. I'd personally try to go after Justin Fuente at Memphis if it were me though.

IMissJack
10-04-2015, 04:52 PM
I suppose I am getting old (46), but I really do not enjoy watching the Baylor/TCU/TTech games. Give me a 24-20 game to watch with some D any day over those 70-55 games in the Big 12. I know winning is the "only thing", but I just don't enjoy that stuff. ETA: talking about a new coach is ridiculous...

PassInterference
10-04-2015, 06:03 PM
We have a great shot at 10-2 or 9-3 and some of you are talking about other coaches. SMH.

Op4isabitch
10-04-2015, 06:17 PM
We have a great shot at 10-2 or 9-3 and some of you are talking about other coaches. SMH.

You serious Clark? I see us at 6-6 or 7-5.

I see us loosing to:
Bama
UM
ARK

I'm 50/50 on
UK
Mizzou
And I'm being 100% serious!

I reserve the right to change my mind if Dan ACTUALLY plays our younger guys like he alluded to in his post game presser.

ScottH
10-04-2015, 06:47 PM
see us at 6-6 or 7-5.

I see us loosing to:
Bama
UM
ARK

I'm 50/50 on
UK
Mizzou

I agree with you and would like to add 2 modifications:
UM - depends on the mental state of the collection of mercenaries at that point. Two more losses and they'll pack it in and focus on the draft.
La Tech - We obviously should win but they aren't the gimme that most of our fans assume. Just ask Hud.

Schultzy
10-04-2015, 06:52 PM
This whole thread is female emotional tardo.

smootness
10-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Briles- no. Patterson- yes. I'd personally try to go after Justin Fuente at Memphis if it were me though.

I heard there is a coach that took over a program with a laughable history in the toughest conference in the country and had them at #1 for almost half the year last year. Might want to see if he's available, that would easily be the greatest hire in the history of the school.

Op4isabitch
10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
I heard there is a coach that took over a program with a laughable history in the toughest conference in the country and had them at #1 for almost half the year last year. Might want to see if he's available, that would easily be the greatest hire in the history of the school.

Then shit the bed when he met a team that was a true contender and still hasn't recovered!

Look I don't see the big issue. Dan isn't above criticism, sometimes when you are the manager you have to answer the critics and you know as well as I do, that Dan needs to be critiqued on some of his choices.
Sometimes criticism makes you grow and flourish. Dan was questioned a lot in 2013 then came out swinging in 2014 before falling back into his timid play calling. Maybe the critiques will light his fire again.

smootness
10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
I never said he's above criticism. I criticized him myself after the game last night because I thought he deserved it.

But anyone suggesting we should go after another coach is insane and not worthy of being involved in the discussion. It's ridiculous. If Mullen was coaching somewhere else and had done what he's done here, we'd be falling all over ourselves talking about how much we need to hire him.

I sincerely hope Todd wasn't suggesting he would be in favor of letting Mullen go and hiring Justin Fuente. I'm hoping he just meant that's who he'd target if Mullen left.

Taog Redloh
10-04-2015, 08:57 PM
You serious Clark? I see us at 6-6 or 7-5.

I see us loosing to:
Bama
UM
ARK

I'm 50/50 on
UK
Mizzou
And I'm being 100% serious!

I reserve the right to change my mind if Dan ACTUALLY plays our younger guys like he alluded to in his post game presser.
We would have to noticeably trend downwards for at least 2 years before we'd even consider a new coach. We'd have to go like 6-6 this year, then 3-9 next year. I bet he'd still get another year after that.

But I will say this.....I agree with you about the 4 million dollar deal. We are paying his ass crazy money so I'll say what I want. But, I am withholding my judgement until later. We have 3 games in a row we should win at home......and in order of difficulty. We can work our way up to Kentucky, then get an off-week, then go to Mizzou. THEN, we get 9 days to prep for Alabama at home. That stretch defines Mullen in my mind. You cannot ask for a better set up to win a huge came at home.

Schultzy
10-04-2015, 09:49 PM
We are not paying him 4m a year. The state is paying him a couple hundred thousand a year and the rest comes from private donations. The same as all universities.

Jack Lambert
10-04-2015, 10:09 PM
We would have to noticeably trend downwards for at least 2 years before we'd even consider a new coach. We'd have to go like 6-6 this year, then 3-9 next year. I bet he'd still get another year after that.

But I will say this.....I agree with you about the 4 million dollar deal. We are paying his ass crazy money so I'll say what I want. But, I am withholding my judgement until later. We have 3 games in a row we should win at home......and in order of difficulty. We can work our way up to Kentucky, then get an off-week, then go to Mizzou. THEN, we get 9 days to prep for Alabama at home. That stretch defines Mullen in my mind. You cannot ask for a better set up to win a huge came at home.

I said this in another thread. This past Saturday was our toughest game left.

Todd4State
10-04-2015, 11:53 PM

I imagine that we wouldn't be able to get that guy because other teams would be begging him to join them since he is so great. I wonder why that hasn't happened.

Todd4State
10-04-2015, 11:57 PM
I never said he's above criticism. I criticized him myself after the game last night because I thought he deserved it.

But anyone suggesting we should go after another coach is insane and not worthy of being involved in the discussion. It's ridiculous. If Mullen was coaching somewhere else and had done what he's done here, we'd be falling all over ourselves talking about how much we need to hire him.

I sincerely hope Todd wasn't suggesting he would be in favor of letting Mullen go and hiring Justin Fuente. I'm hoping he just meant that's who he'd target if Mullen left.

I don't think Mullen should be fired at this point. But if he left it wouldn't bother me either to be honest.

Our "laughable history" is just that- history. We have more resources than ever and we are a legit program. We could find someone that would do just as good of a job as Dan or better. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that we slam dunk no doubt will find someone better than Dan- just that it's not impossible like it was in 1986.

Op4isabitch
10-05-2015, 06:25 AM
We are not paying him 4m a year. The state is paying him a couple hundred thousand a year and the rest comes from private donations. The same as all universities.

That's semantics and you know it, he's getting $4mil a year to coach MSU. It doesn't matter where the money comes from.

SheltonChoked
10-05-2015, 07:00 AM
That's a great point. He should always finish in front of the other coaches in the SEC West that are paid less than $4 million a year.

SheltonChoked
10-05-2015, 07:06 AM
I watched part of the JR high flag football game that was Texas Tech vs Baylor. No that's an insult to JR High Flag Football. tech lost that game on the 3rd possession when they had to punt. Reminded me more of playing college football on Sega in college. You punt you lose, because neither defense could slow down the other. Guys running wide open for huge gains. Way worse than you have seen since our 2003 team. Hard to watch.

smootness
10-05-2015, 08:16 AM
I imagine that we wouldn't be able to get that guy because other teams would be begging him to join them since he is so great. I wonder why that hasn't happened.

Why what hasn't happened? Other schools calling? They have. He hasn't interviewed or left. That does not in any way mean he hasn't been contacted or approached.

I can assure you there are plenty of programs that would be delighted to get Mullen.

smootness
10-05-2015, 08:17 AM
I don't think Mullen should be fired at this point. But if he left it wouldn't bother me either to be honest.

This is just ridiculous. I'm sorry.

BB30
10-05-2015, 08:51 AM

Our "laughable history" is just that- history. We have more resources than ever and we are a legit program. We could find someone that would do just as good of a job as Dan or better. Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that we slam dunk no doubt will find someone better than Dan- just that it's not impossible like it was in 1986.

Ask Tennessee how easy it is to find a coach that is better.. Ask Miami, Nebraska, Texas and up until recently Michigan. And to be honest we are better now but do not have near the history or fanbase that some of those schools have. I would rather let Mullen who is a young head coach make mistakes and learn than take a chance of hiring another Croom.

Taog Redloh
10-05-2015, 09:05 AM
That's semantics and you know it, he's getting $4mil a year to coach MSU. It doesn't matter where the money comes from.
Ha, yep. That's nothing but a deflection attempt by Schultzy. Either way, the money is coming from MSU people.

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 09:10 AM

Who says it hasn't?

Liverpooldawg
10-05-2015, 09:11 AM
This is just ridiculous. I'm sorry.

That is insane I agree.

Bama_Dawg
10-05-2015, 09:12 AM

If Mullen leaves now, this program crumbles. We are NOT a legit program, just ask the media that pick us last every year. Until we are noticed in the media's eyes as a destination job, we are not a legit football program.

Hell, I'm still wondering how in the world we got Howland! Thanks Adidas.

BrunswickDawg
10-05-2015, 09:15 AM
I watched part of the JR high flag football game that was Texas Tech vs Baylor. No that's an insult to JR High Flag Football. tech lost that game on the 3rd possession when they had to punt. Reminded me more of playing college football on Sega in college. You punt you lose, because neither defense could slow down the other. Guys running wide open for huge gains. Way worse than you have seen since our 2003 team. Hard to watch.
Who would have ever thought that the offense we ran on HMFNIC in intramurals would be the primary offense in the Big12?

AusTexDawg
10-05-2015, 10:51 AM
I'd prefer Briles. Which begs the question, how can he be so damn successful at Baylor? He has the best team in the state of Texas and it isn't even close. All the while competing for players with Texas,TCU and aTm. Not to mention Oklahoma and all of the surrounding schools.

Is it just a superior coaching staff?

One of the things that Briles has attributed Baylor's recent success to is the amount of Division 1 talent available within 4 hours of Waco. Since the demise of the Southwest Conference, the I-35 corridor has fed a lot of programs including the Oklahoma schools, Mizzou and Nebraska, in addition to the Texas schools. Once Mack Brown whiffed on RGIII and some other players, Briles was able to make Baylor an attractive program - not to mention Baylor built a shiny new stadium right next to the I-35 bridge that dominates the skyline as you're headed south thru Waco.

Briles is a good coach, but the talent pool available and level of competition are the key differences between Baylor and State. At least 7 million people, maybe up to 10M, live within 4 hours of Waco.

DancingRabbit
10-05-2015, 12:09 PM
One of the things that Briles has attributed Baylor's recent success to is the amount of Division 1 talent available within 4 hours of Waco. Since the demise of the Southwest Conference, the I-35 corridor has fed a lot of programs including the Oklahoma schools, Mizzou and Nebraska, in addition to the Texas schools. Once Mack Brown whiffed on RGIII and some other players, Briles was able to make Baylor an attractive program - not to mention Baylor built a shiny new stadium right next to the I-35 bridge that dominates the skyline as you're headed south thru Waco.

Briles is a good coach, but the talent pool available and level of competition are the key differences between Baylor and State. At least 7 million people, maybe up to 10M, live within 4 hours of Waco.

Actually 17M+ -- DWF area 7M, Houston area 6M, Austin 2M and San Antonio 2M.

Schultzy
10-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Ha, yep. That's nothing but a deflection attempt by Schultzy. Either way, the money is coming from MSU people.

That's it Op4 and Taog I'm outta here!*

Seriously, I've always thought the "our coach is getting paid X amount of dollars!" was a poor argument. We are paying the going rate for a HC, would he make worse decisions if he were making a hundred thousand? Or better if he were making 20 million?

We chose to get into the business of college football and that's part of it. Now if he's not putting in the effort or showing up drunk at pep rally's then the $$ figure makes more sense to me.

Also, the ratio of taxpayer dollars is very significant, part of your tax dollars goes to pay Hugh Freeze's salary and Mulllen's. The vast majority of their salary should come from private monies and I'm glad they do or your argument would become valid.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Saban started Bateman against OM...One of his worst decisions EVER!

Political Hack
10-05-2015, 02:59 PM
We have 1 more loss on the schedule and then a group of toss up games that I actually expect to win almost all of. 8-4 is about where I thought we'd be and it looks like we're headed that way.

smootness
10-05-2015, 03:38 PM
It's been alluded to elsewhere, but Mullen is the lowest-paid coach in the SEC West. Do people understand this?

BB30
10-05-2015, 04:12 PM
It's been alluded to elsewhere, but Mullen is the lowest-paid coach in the SEC West. Do people understand this?

So we are actually getting more out of our investment if this is the case.