PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to cool down b4 posting, but I have to say this...

CadaverDawg
10-03-2015, 11:15 PM
I am quickly growing tired of our coaches not letting it all hang out in big games. That is unacceptable.

Our offense couldn't be more easy for them to defend tonight. No creativity, no trick plays, no shots down field, no nothing. We are more creative vs NW St than we are against teams with a pulse. Our players AND fans deserve better than a group of coaches that play "not to lose", instead of playing "to win". It is cowardly, it is non aggressive, and it is never going to equal Championships of any kind. You have to leave it all on the field, and I feel like our players do...but our coaches don't. And that's disappointing to me.

We can still have a good season. Hail State.

Boston
10-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Agree. Good post.

SDDawg
10-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Agreed. We beat ourselves on small plays, would rather lose on big ones. We have the weapons.

TimberBeast
10-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Agree completely.

Dawg61
10-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Even Arkansas takes shots down the field. Has Dan watched Alabama film ever? Bama thrives off of deep passes. They steal multiple TDs every single game because they PRACTICE it to the point of almost perfection. We rely on the player breaking tackles to hit homeruns instead of swinging for them. So frustrating to watch Dan put shackles on his own offense and he does it every single week. Is he too scared to have sex with his own wife too? Lane Kiffen might be a creepy perv but atleast he's not afraid of failure.

MaxedOutMaroon
10-03-2015, 11:41 PM
I would be happy if I see aggression the rest of the season. I want some risks.

DudyDawg
10-03-2015, 11:46 PM
What's wrong with a holloway draw on 3rd and 9????

Statecoachingblows**
10-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Our defense plays flat. I remember Manny being a fired up fist pumping motivator. Did he age 50 years in Tx and La? Our players don't seem to have any fire. Let's get our plays in and trot to the sideline. It's frustrating to watch 11 guys stand flat footed waiting one the snap. There little to no movement besides the waving the hand over their head thing. After we got in a hole they did play better but why can't we play that way without getting in a hole first? I think my biggest issue is the fact that the potential is there across the board but for some reason something somewhere is missing.

Liverpooldawg
10-03-2015, 11:58 PM
I am quickly growing tired of our coaches not letting it all hang out in big games. That is unacceptable.

Our offense couldn't be more easy for them to defend tonight. No creativity, no trick plays, no shots down field, no nothing. We are more creative vs NW St than we are against teams with a pulse. Our players AND fans deserve better than a group of coaches that play "not to lose", instead of playing "to win". It is cowardly, it is non aggressive, and it is never going to equal Championships of any kind. You have to leave it all on the field, and I feel like our players do...but our coaches don't. And that's disappointing to me.

We can still have a good season. Hail State.

Really dude? Of course we are "more creative" against NW State. Every thing usually works against a team like that and if it doesn't, so what. If you can't understand that basic fundamental fact of SPORTS, then you are what you seem to be. What you are advocating is high school that thinks they are on the rise gimmick crap. I've seen it on that level more times than I can remember. We got beat by a better team tonight. On offense they basically overpowered us. We adjusted and did better but our defense was still hanging on by a thread. On offense we had the plays called to stay with them, esp in the first half. We didn't execute. That being said we can still have a good season and we DAMN sure are still on track to build what we all want over time. Stay the course and Hail State!

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Really dude? Of course we are "more creative" against NW State. Every thing usually works against a team like that and if it doesn't, so what. If you can't understand that basic fundamental fact of SPORTS, then you are what you seem to be. What you are advocating is high school that thinks they are on the rise gimmick crap. I've seen it on that level more times than I can remember. We got beat by a better team tonight. On offense they basically overpowered us. We adjusted and did better but our defense was still hanging on by a thread. On offense we had the plays called to stay with them, esp in the first half. We didn't execute. That being said we can still have a good season and we DAMN sure are still on track to build what we all want over time. Stay the course and Hail State!

You're the worst poster on this board. Go away, Barney. "Creative" does not equal "gimmicky". Go watch and learn football before trying to correct me again. Your constant coming behind my every post and taking the opposite opinion, is getting old. Several agree in this thread, so go start your own thread, "dude".

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 12:11 AM
I would be happy if I see aggression the rest of the season. I want some risks.

I agree. Get beat throwing the kitchen sink at people, instead of this non agressive, slow death we like to do in big games. Our current strategy in big games clearly isn't working.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 12:17 AM
You're the worst poster on this board. Go away, Barney. "Creative" does not equal "gimmicky". Go watch and learn football before trying to correct me again. Your constant coming behind my every post and taking the opposite opinion, is getting old. Several agree in this thread, so go start your own thread, "dude".

I don't live to disagree with you, I just do. Creative usually gets you beat unless you are already better than the teams you are playing, over time. It might win you a game here and there, but it won't build a program. Just my two cents. By the way, I enjoy your posts.

RougeDawg
10-04-2015, 12:22 AM

Since you want to talk about "basic fundamentals of sports" please explain Dear getting 3 touches tonight? 75 total yards on 3 touches. 1 F**KING rushing attempt the entire game. The most basic of all Fundamentals is playing the best players and give your team the best chance to win. I could go down a list of offensive and defensive changes we should make and put in the younger guys but that's for another thread. You play to win and playing the best available players is a must if you want to win and win big. Sumlin made damn sure Kirk got his touches tonight. Even Bucky got Paidwell his touches from game 1.

Until our coaching staff ditches the "age over ability" playing time philosophy, we will continue to underachieve. JRob not getting PT until the last part of his Soph year is inexcusable. Whatever issues he was having, it was up to our staff to fix. We seem to be one of the only teams who slowly introduces our more talented players to the field. LSU and Bama have more talent, top to bottom, than we do, yet they will stick a true freshman in a starting role without hesitation.

So once again I will ask you to explain this lack of "fundamentals" from our coaching staff? Please explain why our staff has such a difficult time getting our talented younger players in the game and hands on the football?

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 12:22 AM
I don't live to disagree with you, I just do. Creative usually gets you beat unless you are already better than the teams you are playing, over time. It might win you a game here and there, but it won't build a program. Just my two cents. By the way, I enjoy your posts.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Creative doesn't mean flea flickers. You've got it totally backwards, proving you're an idiot that just wants to argue. Bama talent doesn't have to be as creative as MSU talent. If you can't get that, you're Liverpool....Go away

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 12:37 AM
I'll say this about being creative. One of the HS programs I follow more than closely had a coach who was widely considered one of the most creative play callers around. He had a really innovative offense, wide open and high scoring. The times he actually REALLY won big though, you know what did it? He had the BEST running back in his class in the state. He had a QB and receivers who could make plays better than anyone they played. He had a totally dominate offensive line. He had one of the top 5 defenses in the class. It took all of that plus an intense internal drive from the leaders (emphasis on the plural) on the field. I ain't pretending that was on the same level as the SEC but from everything I have ever seen, creativity works better on the lessor opponents. Executing fundamental football is what works on the good ones

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 12:38 AM
You have no idea what you're talking about. Creative doesn't mean flea flickers. You've got it totally backwards, proving you're an idiot that just wants to argue. Bama talent doesn't have to be as creative as MSU talent. If you can't get that, you're Liverpool....Go away

Wow, I answered that before you ever posted it.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 12:43 AM
Wow, I answered that before you ever posted it.

You moron. You can even be creative in a running game. And besides, when you don't have a rushing attack, what do you suggest? Just quit?! No, you suggest we be uncreative like we have been vs LSU, A&M,, and the end of last season, and lose. And then play Gene the sunshine pumper.

You can only grind it out and win uncreatively, if you have more talent than your opponent, and we do not. So quit ****ing up my threads with your unknowledgeable babble. You clearly aren't understanding me, and your "creative" is not the same as most normal football people's "creative".

Bothrops
10-04-2015, 12:47 AM
We should have had Lee, Dear, and Williams more involved in the offense by now. I would have played those 3 a lot in games 1, 3, and 4, along with Gabe. Now we may have to do without Gabe, and I'm afraid Williams won't get to play anymore meaningful snaps this year because the fumble. Dan doesn't seem to mind when veteran players fumble, but young guys..

Todd4State
10-04-2015, 12:50 AM
I don't think we're necessarily asking Dan to run a lot of flea flickers, statue of Liberty's, etc. I think Cadaver is talking about creativity in terms of variety in terms of play calling rather than the same predictable thing over and over.

Like when Dan first got here and we would come out in the wishbone on the goal line sometimes- I LOVED that. It wasn't creative in terms of being fancy- but it was a nice wrinkle.

If I am correct on that, then I agree.

dawgs
10-04-2015, 12:51 AM
10000% agree. It's really been my only complaint with Mullen over his tenure. Well that and being scared to play more talented young players over vets, but I think that kinda conservative thinking goes hand in hand.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 12:53 AM
We should have had Lee, Dear, and Williams more involved in the offense by now. I would have played those 3 a lot in games 1, 3, and 4, along with Gabe. Now we may have to do without Gabe, and I'm afraid Williams won't get to play anymore meaningful snaps this year because the fumble. Dan doesn't seem to mind when veteran players fumble, but young guys..

I agree. Playmakers make plays, and we do a poor job of getting our playmakers the ball....or even on the field in some cases.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 12:54 AM
I don't think we're necessarily asking Dan to run a lot of flea flickers, statue of Liberty's, etc. I think Cadaver is talking about creativity in terms of variety in terms of play calling rather than the same predictable thing over and over.

Like when Dan first got here and we would come out in the wishbone on the goal line sometimes- I LOVED that. It wasn't creative in terms of being fancy- but it was a nice wrinkle.

If I am correct on that, then I agree.

Exactly what I'm saying.

And he knows that's what I'm saying...he is just obsessed with arguing with me for some reason.

Todd4State
10-04-2015, 12:56 AM

Totally agree. The next two weeks finding a running back needs to be priority number one. I know Dan likes a feature back, but I personally prefer an athlete guy and then a two back system in today's age of football. Unless we have someone like Fournette- which we don't. And my committee would be Lee and Williams and then use Dear as the athlete guy with more of an emphasis at running back than slot WR. I'd also move Shumpert to H-Back/FB full time.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 12:58 AM
10000% agree. It's really been my only complaint with Mullen over his tenure. Well that and being scared to play more talented young players over vets, but I think that kinda conservative thinking goes hand in hand.

Yea, it all comes back to what you just said...being "scared". If you coach scared, you'll never win the big ones. You gotta take shots and be aggressive, and put your best players on the field and in position to make plays. That's a hell of a lot better way to lose than watching our talent rot on the bench or without the ball in their hands while Shumpert drops another stumbling, bumbling, pass that could give us momentum or a win. Give it everything you've got every game...at least that way you've got no regrets and can sleep at night. Our playing not to lose is like dying a slow death.

dawgs
10-04-2015, 01:02 AM
Mullen will also regularly sit on the ball at the end of the half when we have the time to get into fg range, or maybe break or maybe even break a bug play. But instead we'll run out over a minute of clock on dive plays and take a couple of timeouts into the locker room with us.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 01:05 AM
You moron. You can even be creative in a running game. And besides, when you don't have a rushing attack, what do you suggest? Just quit?! No, you suggest we be uncreative like we have been vs LSU, A&M,, and the end of last season, and lose. And then play Gene the sunshine pumper.

You can only grind it out and win uncreatively, if you have more talent than your opponent, and we do not. So quit ****ing up my threads with your unknowledgeable babble. You clearly aren't understanding me, and your "creative" is not the same as most normal football people's "creative".

I think I get to return the favor tonight. How much have you been drinking? LOL.

You seem to be mistaking fundamental football with "grinding it out" or winning on talent. That is far, far from the truth. We aren't executing what we are trying to do. Not consistently. That is fundamental football.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 01:07 AM
It's almost as if we approach all big games from a standpoint of, "let's just try to get in position to be within striking distance in the 4th quarter". That shit may have been acceptable in the Croom years or if we were a SunBelt school playing SEC powers....but not for the current MSU. We didn't smoke LSU and Auburn's asses last year by coming into those games on our heels. We punched them in the mouth. But since Auburn last season...we haven't punched any big boys in the mouth at any point during a big game. (Ark, Bama, OM, GT, LSU 2015, A&M 2015). Hell, we don't even punch shitty teams in the mouth most times...like Auburn last weekend. We should have beaten that bunch by 20-28 points...but instead they had a chance to tie it with an onside kick recovery. No killer instinct.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 01:07 AM
Exactly what I'm saying.

And he knows that's what I'm saying...he is just obsessed with arguing with me for some reason.
I'm not obsessed with you. It's just that you and I seem to be the most active posters on here at the moment. I DO usually disagree with you though. Nothing wrong with that. Keep it coming!

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Mullen will also regularly sit on the ball at the end of the half when we have the time to get into fg range, or maybe break or maybe even break a bug play. But instead we'll run out over a minute of clock on dive plays and take a couple of timeouts into the locker room with us.

Yea, we basically did that tonight, and A&M marched down the field in about 20 seconds and scored a TD. That was a killer too. Poor offense and defense in the last 2 minutes of the half tonight. Would have been huge to only be down 7 at half.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 01:12 AM
It's almost as if we approach all big games from a standpoint of, "let's just try to get in position to be within striking distance in the 4th quarter". That shit may have been acceptable in the Croom years or if we were a SunBelt school playing SEC powers....but not for the current MSU. We didn't smoke LSU and Auburn's asses last year by coming into those games on our heels. We punched them in the mouth. But since Auburn last season...we haven't punched any big boys in the mouth at any point during a big game. (Ark, Bama, OM, GT, LSU 2015, A&M 2015)
Well, when you are playing teams that are equal to or better than you getting it to the 4th in striking distance is generally the idea. We were better than LSU, Auburn, and A&M last year, hands down. By the way, I'm sure you are just........confused..........but we surely did punch one team in the mouth after A&M last year. That would be Auburn. I love how the goal posts keep moving. THAT is progress.

Todd4State
10-04-2015, 01:14 AM

I don't know why he doesn't trust younger players. I can understand why you wouldn't in general- but he doesn't seem to make exceptions unless there is literally no one else that can play a position and there is no other choice.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 01:27 AM
By the way, If you think me saying reset your sights and get behind the team is sunshine pumping..........then I can't help you understand where I'm coming from at all. That is about as far from sunshine pumping as you can get. Saying Mullen is the guy has everything to do with the long term. You have to build a base first. That does NOT consist of winning big in any one year. The overall trajectory is up, and more up than it has been in my lifetime. That does NOT mean its a straight line.

NCDawg
10-04-2015, 01:31 AM
Agree. There was no "unbelievable, relentless, effort" from Mullen's coaching.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 01:32 AM
Agree. There was no "unbelievable, relentless, effort" from Mullen's coaching.

+1

dawgs
10-04-2015, 01:34 AM
By the way, If you think me saying reset your sights and get behind the team is sunshine pumping..........then I can't help you understand where I'm coming from at all. That is about as far from sunshine pumping as you can get. Saying Mullen is the guy has everything to do with the long term. You have to build a base first. That does NOT consist of winning big in any one year. The overall trajectory is up, and more up than it has been in my lifetime. That does NOT mean its a straight line.

You can acknowledge Mullen is a good overall coach and arguably the best we've ever had and he's taken the program a long long way from the croom era, and still acknowledge he has some infuriating tendencies that seem to hold us back from being even better. Just because it's better than it's ever been doesn't mean he's beyond criticism.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 01:38 AM
You can acknowledge Mullen is a good overall coach and arguably the best we've ever had and he's taken the program a long long way from the croom era, and still acknowledge he has some infuriating tendencies that seem to hold us back from being even better. Just because it's better than it's ever been doesn't mean he's beyond criticism.

Bingo

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 02:00 AM

And you can do that without relentlessly hammering home every fault over and over again. I can understand doing that to a rival like Freeze, but doing it to your own is more than a bit........interesting.

Mullen has taken the program a long way from any era except possibly McKeen's, and that was a different world.

Dawg61
10-04-2015, 07:33 AM
And you can do that without relentlessly hammering home every fault over and over again. I can understand doing that to a rival like Freeze, but doing it to your own is more than a bit........interesting.

Mullen has taken the program a long way from any era except possibly McKeen's, and that was a different world.

Disagree. Mullen can either fix his infuriating tendencies himself or Mullen can go somewhere else. Only way he's going to know about them is if people talk about them. That's your fear right that he'll leave? Seriously doubt he'd ever leave since he's too scared to run his own damn offense like its suppose to be run yet you think he's got the balls to leave it? He shackles his own offense. By personnel and by play calling. Probably shackles his own defense too.

Dawgface
10-04-2015, 07:35 AM

You do realize this is a message board. It's what you do. Discuss the good and bad. When you lose.......the discussion will tend to be tilted to the con's.

Schultzy
10-04-2015, 07:49 AM
But we are consistent at the untimely punt shank.

preachermatt83
10-04-2015, 07:53 AM

+1

SallyStansbury
10-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Damn, dawg61 just said it out loud.

Drugs Delaney
10-04-2015, 08:03 AM
I would like to see someone actually finish a block on a screen pass

maroonmania
10-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Our defense plays flat. I remember Manny being a fired up fist pumping motivator. Did he age 50 years in Tx and La? Our players don't seem to have any fire. Let's get our plays in and trot to the sideline. It's frustrating to watch 11 guys stand flat footed waiting one the snap. There little to no movement besides the waving the hand over their head thing. After we got in a hole they did play better but why can't we play that way without getting in a hole first? I think my biggest issue is the fact that the potential is there across the board but for some reason something somewhere is missing.

Heck, he doesn't even play air guitar anymore. :(

Schultzy
10-04-2015, 08:18 AM
You cannot be creative or aggressive if you can't block, we don't have talented enough offensive tackles to be a good offensive team.

If your best ever qb can't run and none of your running backs can run either then it's bc you don't have a good enough offensive line, period.

State82
10-04-2015, 09:31 AM
I fully understand the desire for offensive creativity. But there is another area we need to get more creative and will give everything a boost. Recruiting. And I think everyone knows what I mean by more "creativity" in that phase of the program.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2015, 09:35 AM
I fully understand the desire for offensive creativity. But there is another area we need to get more creative and will give everything a boost. Recruiting. And I think everyone knows what I mean by more "creativity" in that phase of the program.

+1

However, even if we step up recruiting right away, it will be 3 years before the talent hits the field*

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-04-2015, 09:40 AM
+1

However, even if we step up recruiting right away, it will be 3 years before the talent hits the field*

Last years class was a good start. It was ******* best and I think a little underrated rankings wise. He is definitely right though. We HAVE to recruit better if we want to beat the A&M's, LSU's, Alabama's without having to play a flawless game. Definitely have to do that to reach the next level.

tcdog70
10-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Our best weapon is Bear Wilson he caught three passes. He should catch ten a game. We were somewhat successful tonight when Dak moved the pocket. They have to respect Dak when He rolls out. In the pocket he was wearing a bullseye for their DEs. Our failure to go deep is a head scratcher . Donald Gray did catch one pass. Dear got cramps and that is one reason he didn't play more. I like Dan but he sux in the heat of the moment. Just running #10 up the gut twice in a row make me want to puke.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Disagree. Mullen can either fix his infuriating tendencies himself or Mullen can go somewhere else. Only way he's going to know about them is if people talk about them. That's your fear right that he'll leave? Seriously doubt he'd ever leave since he's too scared to run his own damn offense like its suppose to be run yet you think he's got the balls to leave it? He shackles his own offense. By personnel and by play calling. Probably shackles his own defense too.
Actually my fear is we are going to make his job impossible and then run him off.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 10:33 AM
You cannot be creative or aggressive if you can't block, we don't have talented enough offensive tackles to be a good offensive team.

If your best ever qb can't run and none of your running backs can run either then it's bc you don't have a good enough offensive line, period.
Yep. Scheme and skill personnel don't really matter if you can't block. That was the real reason the talking heads picked us last. They are getting better I think but it's still going to show up as inconsistently, esp against the better teams.

Sacrifice
10-04-2015, 10:37 AM
I honestly believe the reason we don't throw deep is because that's not Dak's strong suit. He's great at throwing darts inside of 20 yards, maybe a deep crossing route but I can't remember the last time I've seen him lay one over a WR shoulder streaking down the sideline for a TD and I'm not talking about some busted coverage where the WR is wide open. I've seen F Brown and Gray have there guys beat by 2 or 3 steps and the ball is either over thrown or under thrown. If Dak could get that part of his game down he would be a complete QB. It just looks to me like he has trouble putting air under the ball and leading deep receivers to open spaces. I'm worried that future teams will pick up on this and start sitting on these short routes we're running and make us throw deep..

dawgs
10-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Actually my fear is we are going to make his job impossible and then run him off.

What's impossible about asking Dan to not tuck his wiener in big games?

BossDawg
10-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Dan's motto on offense should be "Scoring isn't a must. Just don't do anything stupid."

RougeDawg
10-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Well, when you are playing teams that are equal to or better than you getting it to the 4th in striking distance is generally the idea. We were better than LSU, Auburn, and A&M last year, hands down. By the way, I'm sure you are just........confused..........but we surely did punch one team in the mouth after A&M last year. That would be Auburn. I love how the goal posts keep moving. THAT is progress.

Please tell me you broke your bifocals during the game last night and got your zanex and tic tac bottles mixed up.

We were not more talented than any of the teams you mentioned. We were not better than them in the sense of who should have won. The one category we were better than them was in the offensive creative category. The Offense that shows multiple formations and looks. IE our old offense gameplan that changed looks pre snap, going from a wishbone formation to a 5 spread after the defense has subbed for the wishbone. Or doing the reverse. Or having large offensive personnel shifts once the defense is ready for something completely different. Offense with slot guys in motion who are an option in our "Spread Option" offense. Deep passes to keep the defenses from stacking the box. USM through Auburn last year we were very unpredictable with our offensive game plans and play calling. Since then we've gone with the Saban/Miles approach "here's what's coming, see if you can stop us" and we do not have the OLine talent to do this. Bucky is successful with less talent because he keeps defenses guessing. He throws numerous wrinkles into every look so the defenses have to stay honest and uses motion and mis direction to exploit over agressive defenses. Florida gave bucky a taste of his own medicine last night on offense and was extremely creative.

Please tell me any of these aspects that Dan has implemented in our big games, since we throttled Auburn last year? What games have we come out with an extensive, creative, multiple look Offensive drive? What surprise (not gimmick) plays have we used in those games since rising to #1 last year. We all could see Dan's asshole pucker up after Auburn 14. It was as plain as day. He was like the runner who's tried all his life to beat the faster kids in a race. Being underdog, he Had the will and drive to be better than them. Then once he got ahead of them in a race, he was struck by the limelight, didn't know how to react, altered what had brought him to the lead, and tripped before the finish line. This is what most of us now see as a recurring pattern from Dan. Not using what has gotten him to where he is, when he is on the biggest stages. Now using his creative offensive mind in the games that could lift us to the top.

So please tell me and many other people on here, that are not missing the forest for the trees, what are you perceiving as Dan not going full "Deer in Headlights" in our bigger games? I'll go grab my popcorn.

Liverpooldawg
10-04-2015, 01:10 PM
We were better than those three teams last year. There are two main differences in those games this year and and last year. We blocked better last year and we got more turnovers last year. That's pretty much it. Good blocking makes you look more creative. Bad blocking does the opposite.