PDA

View Full Version : SEC's New Bowls

BeastMan
07-23-2013, 02:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9501738/sec-finalizing-non-college-football-playoff-bowls-sources-say

We add the Belk Bowl and the Texas Bowl

I wrote about this on April 5th about bowls we should add. If you're wondering the Belk was 1 and I had the Alamo in Texas. That was wrong but I would have bet my house we picked up another TX bowl

http://3rdand57.com/sec-should-revamp-lower-level-bowl-ties/

Coach34
07-23-2013, 02:14 PM
no more Peach Bowl? Interesting. Hard to believe they won't send an SEC bowl team to Atlanta

BeastMan
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Peach and cotton are used in the playoff

Coach34
07-23-2013, 02:23 PM
ahhhhh- did not know that

FlabLoser
07-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Where is the Belk Bowl?

J-Dawg
07-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Where is the Belk Bowl?

Charlotte, NC if I'm not mistaken.

LiterallyPolice
07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Charlotte, NC if I'm not mistaken.

As a proud North Carolina resident, I can confirm this is correct.

TopDog58
07-23-2013, 04:20 PM
More ACC and Big 12. Zzzzzzzz.

Well, I take that back. Another Big 12 is alright. But I wish we could mix it up with somebody else and cut out the Big Ten. I think Carolina, Wisconsin, Florida, and Michigan State have had about enough of each other.

bocfarm
07-23-2013, 04:25 PM
More ACC and Big 12. Zzzzzzzz.

Well, I take that back. Another Big 12 is alright. But I wish we could mix it up with somebody else and cut out the Big Ten. I think Carolina, Wisconsin, Florida, and Michigan State have had about enough of each other.

Better that than AAC or whatever CUSA is now

Behrdawg
07-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Why the **** do we keep our hands on the Liberty bowl? Jesus Christ

Covercorner2
07-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Wish the SEC had some PAC 12 tie-ins..

Political Hack
07-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Wish the SEC had some PAC 12 tie-ins..

me too. would be cool if that happened in Texas.

Political Hack
07-23-2013, 11:03 PM
huge win for Liberty. Going from the Big East to a Big 12 vs. SEC matchup.

Todd4State
07-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Why the **** do we keep our hands on the Liberty bowl? Jesus Christ

Tradition.

Todd4State
07-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I say drop the BBVA Compass Bowl and replace it with the New Orleans Bowl.

CadaverDawg
07-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I say drop the BBVA Compass Bowl and replace it with the New Orleans Bowl.

Agreed. You can't beat a good reason to go hang out in New Orleans. Easy driving distance plus a bowl game, would be awesome.

08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Here's the official announcement.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/246353/sec-announces-agreements-with-nine-bowl-games.aspx

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ? The Southeastern Conference announced today agreements with nine postseason bowls and a new process for the assignment of SEC member schools to bowl games, beginning with the 2014 season and extending for six years.

The new SEC bowl process coincides with the beginning of the new College Football Playoff that follows the 2014 college football season. The SEC will also participate in the Allstate Sugar Bowl and the Discover Orange Bowl (in selected years).

?We are pleased to have established a lineup of premier bowl games that will give our student-athletes a wonderful post-season experience and our fans the opportunity to travel to venues in the geographical footprint of the conference,? said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive.

Under the new SEC bowl system, the Capital One Bowl in Orlando (vs. Big Ten/ACC), a long-time SEC bowl, will have the first selection of available SEC teams after any conference schools have qualified for the College Football Playoff, the Allstate Sugar Bowl or the Discover Orange Bowl.

Following the Capital One Bowl, there will be a pool of six bowls comprised of renewals with the Outback Bowl in Tampa (vs. Big Ten), Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl in Nashville (vs. ACC/Big Ten), TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl in Jacksonville (vs. ACC/Big Ten) and AutoZone Liberty Bowl in Memphis (vs. Big 12), as well as new agreements with the Texas Bowl in Houston (vs. Big 12) and Belk Bowl in Charlotte (vs. ACC).

In consultation with SEC member institutions, as well as these six bowls, the conference will make the assignments for the bowl games in this newly created pool system.

?This bowl process gives us the best opportunity to address several issues that impact SEC fans, including the creation of intriguing matchups, the accommodation of travel for fans, reduced ticket obligations for our schools and a variety of assignments to help prevent repetitive postseason destinations,? said Slive.

The SEC has also renewed its relationship with both the Birmingham Bowl (vs. TBA) and the Advocare V100 Bowl in Shreveport (vs. ACC). The Birmingham Bowl will have the first selection of available teams following the pool of six bowls. The Advocare V100 Bowl will have the next selection of available teams following the Birmingham Bowl.

blacklistedbully
08-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a great way for Slive to continue screwing us. If I'm reading this correctly, we'll again be set up to get passed over by a couple of more prestigious bowls. We'll get to watch a 7-5 UF go to the Gator while a 9-3 MSU goes to the Liberty.

08-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Yep. I hate the sound of creating "intriguing matchups, the accommodation of travel for fans, reduced ticket obligations for our schools and a variety of assignments to help prevent repetitive postseason destinations, said Slive."

So if teams stay close to home the West has Music City, Liberty, Texas, Birmingham, and Shreveport.

Goat Holder
08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't see the problem there. Keep the money closeby. Plus, I'm more interested in the regular season anyways.

Ronny
08-12-2013, 05:22 PM
..the SEC cigar boys would have enough sense to not send a SEC team to a bowl located in Charlotte, NC, to be played in late December.

You play a football game in Charlotte, NC in late Dec. & the chance the weather will be shitty is about 99%.

I would love to see aTm have to travel to Charlotte, NC to play a bowl game in the sleet.

I'm sure that will go over big with the 5,000 aTm fans rich enough to pay for the expensive ass plane ticket, then are willing to endure the stupidity of a SEC team forced to play a bowl game in ****ing Charlotte, NC's Arctic weather.

Great move, SEC.

You may turn a blind eye to your schools cheating, SEC, but if a shitty, horribly located bowl is up for bid, you are on it like white on rice.

FlabLoser
08-12-2013, 05:44 PM
They should have had another bowl in the Superdome instead of one in NC.

I read somewhere that the Cap One has new authority to be their regular asshole self and pick whoever the hell they want even if it isn't an SEC team. They've always been the most difficult bowl in the bunch with regards to selecting teams.

biscuit
08-12-2013, 05:58 PM
I like it