PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA Commits 10.2.5 - Rivalry Week

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2015, 04:33 PM
This Week in GA Commits ? Rivalry Week 10.2.15

Christian Roberson and the McEachern Indians are coming off their second bye week and seem to have things together. At 3-1, the #7 ranked Indians look to build on their strong running game against their first Region foe and long time rival - The Marietta Blue Devils. Separated by only 8 miles, these two teams have built a rivalry even though they didn?t start playing regularly until the mid-1990s. McEachern leads the all-time series 15-11-1.

The Marietta Blue Devils (1-4, 0-1) are in the midst of a multi-season funk that will likely result in the release of Coach Scott Burton at the end of this season if the trend continues. The Blue Devils have a proud tradition, and have produced some real talent over the years - QBs Eric Zeier (UGA) and Anthony Jennings (LSU), RB Travis Zachery (Clemson) and kickers Tim Montz (OM), Hap Hines (UGA), Scott Sisson (GT, 90 NC), and Rex Robinson (UGA, 80 NC) might be recognizable names to some. Dale Ellis, Patrick Ewing, Jr., Dansby Swanson, writer/showrunner Alan Ball (for you True Blood fans), and the band Guadalcanal Diary (for you 80s/90s college radio guys) are also alums. Unfortunately, none of that talent is on this team.

As a Blue Devil ('91), whose favorite athletic achievement was a leadoff first pitch HR against McEachern, it hurts my soul to say "McEachern wins this by 3 TDs. Easy." Marietta is reeling as a program and has just gotten mauled in its 4 losses. The only upside for Marietta is they are at home, and they have the best home atmosphere of any high school in GA. Northcutt Stadium was built in the 1930s and just underwent a $10m+ renovation. It?s one of those places where you can just feel the history. If your are in the ATL and ever have a chance, catch a game there, you won't regret it. However, to a degree Marietta is the Ole Miss of GA HS football. Friday night is all about the tailgate, the party after the game, who is dating who and wearing what, and talking about the glory days of the 67 state title and 66 runner up. Every few years, the team makes some noise and you would think that god himself was blessing them to victory. But the victories won't be coming tonight.

My BIL will be in the stands - he's a former OL and coach - so I hope to get a report about how Christian looks.

Good luck Christian. HailState.

defiantdog
10-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Nice write up..... also, in '91 I was at Mt. Bethel Elementary School in Marietta. I would have ended up going to Walton though if the fam didn't move to Madison a few years later. It's crazy how Cobb County has grown since the 90s. I drove through there not too long ago and Johnson Ferry has blown up.

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Nice write up..... also, in '91 I was at Mt. Bethel Elementary School in Marietta. I would have ended up going to Walton though if the fam didn't move to Madison a few years later. It's crazy how Cobb County has grown since the 90s. I drove through there not too long ago and Johnson Ferry has blown up.
An East Cobb snob lol!
You should be comparing it to early 80s Cobb when half the county was still farmland.

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2015, 06:50 PM
McEachern up 3-0 early 1st

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Another FG for McEachern, 6-0.
Looks like my Devils are holding their own.

BrunswickDawg
10-02-2015, 09:40 PM
27-10 final for McEachern. Recap in the AM when I find info.

defiantdog
10-02-2015, 09:56 PM
An East Cobb snob lol!
You should be comparing it to early 80s Cobb when half the county was still farmland.
East Cobb has nothing on Madison when it comes to being a snob lol. Dickerson Middle School was nothing compared to the pretentious crap Madison has become. It was nice when Rosa Scott was the only Middle School and Jitney Jungle ruled Madison. That city had gone to hell with its brick sidewalks. I don't think I could ever move back. I know I can't move back to anything Atlanta. The traffic is real.