PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen Combating Freeze's negative recruiting tactics?

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-23-2013, 09:41 AM
I don't want to get into a religious debate or anything, but I found it interesting that Mullen has tweeted a Bible verse in the past two mornings. It's been discussed on this board before and is seemingly common knowledge about how Freeze is using his faith as a recruiting tool and painting Mullen in a poor light with regards to his. Maybe Mullen is just getting into a devotional book, but part of me thinks this is a subtle way of telling his 47,000 followers and especially recruits that he is indeed a Christian and don't believe that BS Freeze is telling you about me.

hailmari
07-23-2013, 09:53 AM
I've seen that too. He'll throw out a motivational quote and then a bible verse.

Goat Holder
07-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Probably. And it will mean more to people than Freeze talking bad about him. At least to the recruits we would actually want.

Coach 57
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Look man I am not doing this debate thing again either but in Luke chapter 4 even the devil quotes scripture to Jesus. I am not calling one coach one or the other. But I will tell you this I can quote scripture all day but if I don't have the context by which it is said/received or who was it to it doesn't mean a hill of beans. Look if I can be changed with Christ ANYBODY can be changed! I respect Coach Mullen and appreciate all he has done at our beloved Maroon University and I think he has done a great job but if you aren't quoting the RIGHT scripture for the right circumstance it doesn't mean much.

Thick
07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
I have noticed that also. I think Dan has been rejuvenated by last year's Egg, and the Chris Jones scare. I think we are all going to be surprised by our offense this year, and really impressed with the defensive scheme.

I also believe that some on this board are reading too much into our schedule. Some of you get so pissed off at our fanbase for their neurotic behavior (I do too), but are quick to point out that we will only win 5-6 games this year due to our schedule.

There are several toss ups on the schedule for sure, but we will be better this year for three reasons: 1) Best talent/2 deep we have had in years. 2) Upgrade in assistants/more aggressive defensive scheme. 3) Dan is more engaged.

We can beat OSU, LSU, AU, AR, UK, and OM. None of those games will be easy, but we can win those games. We know what AU is going to do....QB is their biggest concern. AR is rebuilding with a new staff, new offensive/defensive schemes, and I don't think they have the pieces in place to make it work this year. UK will be better, but not better then us, played with LSU last year in Red Stick, and we want OM...period!!

I like us to win 8, maybe nine, but it depends on Dan, injuries, and a little luck.

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Look man I am not doing this debate thing again either but in Luke chapter 4 even the devil quotes scripture to Jesus. I am not calling one coach one or the other. But I will tell you this I can quote scripture all day but if I don't have the context by which it is said/received or who was it to it doesn't mean a hill of beans. Look if I can be changed with Christ ANYBODY can be changed! I respect Coach Mullen and appreciate all he has done at our beloved Maroon University and I think he has done a great job but if you aren't quoting the RIGHT scripture for the right circumstance it doesn't mean much.

I'm certainly not going to judge Dan Mullen's heart or intent of those tweets, or even when Freeze does it. But if you are going to tweet Bible verses to the multitudes of followers you have I think you are really setting yourself up for ridicule when you screw up, and if you really mean it then you will be judged by others when you are caught not acting according to what you say you believe. I have never thought Dan was an athiest of scientologist as OM has painted him, and he doesn't need to go boasting about his faith like Freeze does...he can show it by his actions...and I think he does that. But these few tweets speak to what his faith is, and not necessarily give him the persona of Freeze, which is "faith-based recruiting", a program built on their faith, etc. Mullen is confirming to folks that he is a Christian I believe. I doubt he continually does this as he doesn't need to be a preacher as well as a coach, because like I say when you put that out there you are setting yourself up to have every move scrutinized.

camsu
07-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Should move to CA where none of this matters except winning. ---- I think it takes time for anyone not from MS to learn MS and what it is all about. His entire staff really was from out of state except for Melvin. He is learning and will continue to improve all parts of being a HC. He is taking it to another level and I agree will be more fire in the belly this yr for the staff and team. He wants to win at State and that is all good for us.

msstate7
07-23-2013, 10:55 AM

15 It is true that some preach about Christ because they are jealous and ambitious, but others preach about Christ because they want to help. 16 They preach because they have love, and they know that God gave me the work of defending the Good News. 17 But the others preach about Christ for selfish and wrong reasons, wanting to make trouble for me in prison.
18 But it doesn’t matter. The important thing is that in every way, whether for right or wrong reasons, they are preaching about Christ. So I am happy, and I will continue to be happy.

Philippians 1:15-18

Original48
07-23-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm glad to see Dan tweeting the verses. I don't know his faith, or if he has always been a Christian, or what. But I'm glad to see him doing it..not for me, or recruits, or whatever. But for him. I like it. I'm glad to see him growing in his faith. By the way, I'm going to the event at The South this evening celebrating the 36 Mississippi children's charities Dan and Megan have established. I'm proud of what they are doing for our state in so many areas. Seriously, how many of y'all even knew about this? And that question was asked from the standpoint that I think we (State) don't do enough to promote what all the Mullen family is doing. Yes it can seem self serving to promote your Christian beliefs or charitable giving. But our rival has no problem trumpeting themselves. Is time we do the same. This is the only article I've seen on it...
http://www.wtva.com/content/news/sports/story/MSUs-Mullen-wife-to-kick-off-foundation/mVaQODlZyEWOfiS-urLcdA.cspx

Thick
07-23-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm glad to see Dan tweeting the verses. I don't know his faith, or if he has always been a Christian, or what. But I'm glad to see him doing it..not for me, or recruits, or whatever. But for him. I like it. I'm glad to see him growing in his faith. By the way, I'm going to the event at The South this evening celebrating the 36 Mississippi children's charities Dan and Megan have established. I'm proud of what they are doing for our state in so many areas. Seriously, how many of y'all even knew about this? And that question was asked from the standpoint that I think we (State) don't do enough to promote what all the Mullen family is doing. Yes it can seem self serving to promote your Christian beliefs or charitable giving. But our rival has no problem trumpeting themselves. Is time we do the same. This is the only article I've seen on it...
http://www.wtva.com/content/news/sports/story/MSUs-Mullen-wife-to-kick-off-foundation/mVaQODlZyEWOfiS-urLcdA.cspx

You're right O48, I had no idea that the Mullen family was doing anything of the sort. That's helping people in need, not what OM and Freeze do.

We need to promote and applaud Dan and Megan for their efforts to help those that really need it. AND also shove it right down OM's throat!!!

EnterpriseDawg
07-23-2013, 01:25 PM

I'll go ahead and say it. He's Catholic. I was born, raised and still claim to be Catholic, but as my wife and I are finding out we don't know the Bible half as well as baptist do. Since there are no Catholic churchs in Enterprise we are attending a Baptist church. Quite the reality check. I'm willing to bet he believes what he is tweeting, but like myself he finds it difficult to convey the Good Book.

BeastMan
07-23-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm sick of our fans taking up for Freeze on this. He IS NOT a good guy. He is a slimy POS and this is just further proof. The fact that Mullen now has to defend his faith via social media because of what rev Freeze is doing on the recruiting trail is pathetic. Again, this is not debatable. Freeze used that in the first cycle with Richie Brown's father. If you want to be a Freeze and his bs propaganda faith defender, you don't get it.

I'm not going to give out Dan's church b/c its none of you people's business but he IS VERY involved locally with his church, well like and respected. The difference is that he doesn't tweet about it to glorify HIMSELF because that's not what it is about.

I'm so sick of this and some of our fans *****footing around this. IF you defend Freeze in this religious conversation 1 iota, you are being made to be a fool. Not only are you being made a supreme fool, you are damaging MSU while being a fool.

BeastMan
07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
I'll go ahead and say it. He's Catholic. I was born, raised and still claim to be Catholic, but as my wife and I are finding out we don't know the Bible half as well as baptist do. Since there are no Catholic churchs in Enterprise we are attending a Baptist church. Quite the reality check. I'm willing to bet he believes what he is tweeting, but like myself he finds it difficult to convey the Good Book.

No he's not

EnterpriseDawg
07-23-2013, 01:34 PM
No he's not

Then my bad, I was told wrong then.

Coach 57
07-23-2013, 01:36 PM
@msstate7- that scripture you posted from Paul is what Dan should tweet. And cling to. Paul wrote that scripture to the Philippians about not to bash the messenger. The messenger could be Freeze or in this case Mullen so long as the "good news" gospel is shared. Less about messenger more about message. Scripture is NOT advice. Advice is "hey your car would run better if you use this type of oil." That is a "take it or leave it" message. If the nerdy kid you couldn't stand in Jr high is a practicing nurse and you got bit by a copper head & he had the only anti-venom are you saying you wouldn't take it? Of course not. That would be idiotic!

EnterpriseDawg
07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
No he's not

What is he's religious preference? I just assumed the info I received about him being Catholic was true since he is from the NE.

BeastMan
07-23-2013, 01:49 PM
@Enterpise
Check pm

@Coach57
I respect you and your input 99% of the time but you are wrong here. The fact that you start quoting scripture in this thread proves it. This isn't a discussion on the bible or interpretations of the bible. This is a discussion about 1 supposed Christian bashing another Christians faith and he having to react publicly to it because its stemming from there professional lives. Freeze is using his "faith superiority" to gossip to hurt another man professionally. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

Homedawg
07-23-2013, 02:12 PM
What is he's religious preference? I just assumed the info I received about him being Catholic was true since he is from the NE.

He goes to the episcopal church.

BeastMan
07-23-2013, 02:14 PM

Since Starkville is such a small town, I was keeping that off the board. Guess it doesn't matter ultimately

Coach34
07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Look, I'm not going to argue religion. You either believe or you don't.

The problem is Freezus saying things like "I fear for your soul if you go to State" like he did to R. Brown. That's what is turning some people off and questioning the man's motives. It's one thing to be religious, it's another thing to use religion to flat out lie about your rival and competitor.

BeastMan
07-23-2013, 02:25 PM

The problem is Freezus saying things like "I fear for your soul if you go to State" like he did to R. Brown. That's what is turning some people off and questioning the man's motives. It's one thing to be religious, it's another thing to use religion to flat out lie about your rival and competitor.

Bingo

FlabLoser
07-23-2013, 02:39 PM

THIS.

EnterpriseDawg
07-23-2013, 03:03 PM

Pretty much the same thing as being Catholic. So the guy that told me he was Catholic was almost correct, but still wrong...lol

Todd4State
07-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Nail on the head. I'm glad to see that Dan took the advice I put on this board a couple of weeks ago. This is something that is very easy to refute and something that no Christian would have a problem with sharing one iota.

I fully expect Freeze to keep using faith and say stuff like what Coach is talking about, but at least now recruits can see that Dan isn't a Scientologist or satanic or whatever Freeze was calling him and now the recruits have to decide which one is full of BS. And I guarantee you that 90% of the recruits are going to come to the conclusion that it's the guy beating his chest about his faith and then inviting them to a party where girls are giving out blowjobs and whatever else they choose to do.

I've never played a down of football at the collegiate level and the only time I ever saw action of the field was at halftime when everyone was peeing. But I did attend youth group for six years in high school- and if our Youth Director allowed us to go out and get drunk and have sex with a bunch of women, my parents would have been royally pissed.

Todd4State
07-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Pretty much the same thing as being Catholic. So the guy that told me he was Catholic was almost correct, but still wrong...lol

The important thing is it's all Christian and about Jesus.

Now where's my Stryper cassette tape?

Coach 57
07-23-2013, 09:20 PM
beastman- I wasn't condoning what Freeze did. I know he told recruits that Mullen was an atheist which is a lie. Which I obviously have issue with. But I can't tell you I have an issue with Freeze using his faith as a rep recruiting tool. But spreading lies is not a good thing. That's all I am saying.

EnterpriseDawg
07-23-2013, 09:31 PM
The important thing is it's all Christian and about Jesus.

Now where's my Stryper cassette tape?

You right about that.