PDA

View Full Version : SAN DIEGO

Martianlander
10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
My wife and I are going to San Diego for a few days the middle of this month. First trip there. Any of you have any suggestions on places to see and eat, etc.

Thanks

DownwardDawg
10-01-2015, 10:15 AM
It means whales v a g I n a

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2015, 10:21 AM
We were there several years ago but we had a 6 year old with us. The zoo was amazing. If you like aviation the aviation museum is a must. I would have really liked to poke around Coronado but that didn't fit the 6 year old's agenda. We were staying in Old Town. That was a pretty cool area to walk around in back then.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2015, 10:30 AM
Not sure if you want to eat BBQ in San Diego, there is a restaurant called Kansas City BBQ in downtown SD that is pretty good and also the location where they filmed the final scene and all the bar scenes in Top Gun. Pretty cool place

Mjoelner34
10-01-2015, 10:30 AM
In no particular order:
1. Balboa Park (zoo, museums...etc.)
2. Point Loma
3. Julian/Kentwood in the Pines area
5. Gaslamp district

Best Food:
Carne asada burrito from the El Cotixan #3 in El Cajon. Cut that sucker open, pour in some pico and go to town!

Fancy Food:
Bully's East is the fanciest place I ate out there. I only ate there twice but it was pretty good.

joedog
10-01-2015, 10:32 AM
Never been there but I hear its great.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/10285115/large.gif

http://www.alphamalefts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/download-1.jpeg

joedog
10-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Searching for those pics got me thinking about another one.

http://s13.postimg.org/9r4c9kewn/olemisvag.jpg

ScottH
10-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Burger - Hodad's - famous, good and on the beach
Fish Taco - PB Fish Shop - also a fish market
View - Crab Catcher in La Jolla

If you want fine dining, message me.

Political Hack
10-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Word of advice. If you drive south for 30 minutes to San Ysidro, and you see a sign that says "last US exit" they really mean it.

Also, one of the Marriotts down there is in the gas lamp district (I think that's what they called it). it's right next to the baseball stadium too. Stayed there once and it was a pretty nice area.

Coursesuper
10-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Gaslamp District is s clean Fench Quarter. Good food and bars wherever you turn. Balboa Park is cool, if your adventurous take yhe trolley to TJ.

Martianlander
10-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys-keep them coming!

Mjoelner34
10-01-2015, 11:32 AM
If you go to the beach, don't risk going to Imperial Beach. It's closed several times a year due to 'Tijuana Trout'.

Irondawg
10-01-2015, 12:23 PM
The aircraft carrier USS Midway is a really cool tour.

Rent a car (convertible) and drive just a few hours down the coastline. Go see Torrey Pines golf cours, watch some guys go hang gliding by running off a cliff, go to del mar horse track. All cool thing.

jb1020
10-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Been there a few times for work....was jsut there in September...mission beach was a great beach. Huge boardwalk with lots of bars/restaurants.

a lot of the restaurants in the gas lamp are fairly touristy....meaning over priced and kinda bad food. at least in my opinion.

Check out the restaurants in Little Italy.

If you like craft beer you'll be in heaven. Ballast Point has a few locations, one is near Little Italy. Green Flash is a cool place too. Its a little outside of town, but is only a $25 ride in an Uber (which is the way to travel out there).

If you absolutely love Craft Beer....spend the money and go on the brew hop. Summer is an awesome guide.

http://brewhop.com/

rolodawg
10-01-2015, 01:20 PM
The Fish Market......Some of the better seafood these lips have tasted.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Not sure if you want to eat BBQ in San Diego, there is a restaurant called Kansas City BBQ in downtown SD that is pretty good and also the location where they filmed the final scene and all the bar scenes in Top Gun. Pretty cool place

Actually, the food is terrible. There really isnt much left except the piano after the fire. It is basically a dive bar.

I go there to drink because it is cool for that but the food is awful.

Esmerelda Villalobos
10-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Burger - Hodad's - famous, good and on the beach
Fish Taco - PB Fish Shop - also a fish market
View - Crab Catcher in La Jolla

If you want fine dining, message me.

Listen to this man. It is cliche but you cant find a better burger or hangout than hodads. If you dont want to wait in line, go to the one downtown.

Behrdawg
10-01-2015, 06:07 PM
The Hyatt on the bay is awesome. I've stayed there before its right next to the USS Midway.

dawgs
10-01-2015, 06:33 PM
lots of great beer. green flash, ballast point, lost abbey, stone, alesmith, societe...and that's just the bigger names in the area. only comparable city for local beer is portland.

Count Istvan Teleky
10-01-2015, 09:32 PM
My wife and I are going to San Diego for a few days the middle of this month. First trip there. Any of you have any suggestions on places to see and eat, etc.

Thanks

Thank me later.

Bothrops
10-01-2015, 11:44 PM
If I had the money, I'd have a split level house on a beach front cliff in La Jolla.

SDDawg
10-02-2015, 12:05 AM
I live here, some solid recommendations in the thread. La Jolla Cove is a can't miss spot.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Phil's BBQ.

Martianlander
10-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Thanks-great info. I have made a lot of notes.
Send any more you have.

BeastMan
10-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Kinda funny to see these BBQ recs in this thread. I would have figured California BBQ would be grilled kale or some crap like that. No way those hippy bastards know how to cook a pig.

dawgs
10-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Kinda funny to see these BBQ recs in this thread. I would have figured California BBQ would be grilled kale or some crap like that. No way those hippy bastards know how to cook a pig.

Tri-tip bbq started in the Cali central coast in San Luis obispo.

scottycameron
10-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Tri-tip bbq started in the Cali central coast in San Luis obispo.

btw, anybody else like to cook tri-tip. Hard to find around here.

RocketCityDawg
10-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Several years ago, Sam's carried a good one that was premarinated. We loved them, but Sam's quit carrying them.
Every once in awhile, I find them at other places, but they are much bigger. Either they are not as good, or I can't figure out how to cook the bigger ones.

scottycameron
10-02-2015, 11:28 AM
Several years ago, Sam's carried a good one that was premarinated. We loved them, but Sam's quit carrying them.
Every once in awhile, I find them at other places, but they are much bigger. Either they are not as good, or I can't figure out how to cook the bigger ones.

I rarely go to Sam's anymore, used to get meat there, especially the 3 pack of ribs. Kroger would have a tritip once in a blue moon. Walmart may carry them, don't know, never go there due to all the beaners. You would think freshmarket or wildoats would have them but never saw one.

RocketCityDawg
10-02-2015, 11:32 AM
I rarely go to Sam's anymore, used to get meat there, especially the 3 pack of ribs. Kroger would have a tritip once in a blue moon. Walmart may carry them, don't know, never go there due to all the beaners. You would think freshmarket or wildoats would have them but never saw one.

Same here, the 3 pack of baby backs was my go to, but Sam's meat quality has gone to shit.

scottycameron
10-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Same here, the 3 pack of baby backs was my go to, but Sam's meat quality has gone to shit.

Sams was also good for a whole shoulder, kroger never has that, and real good for brisket, they always had some and for a little while had flats which I really liked to cook, but hard to find now and as expensive as steak used to be if you do find it. Last time I was in walmarts they were calling all of their meat carn or carny or something. I don't even know wtf that is, but it all looked crappy.

RiverCityDawg
10-02-2015, 01:51 PM
The Fish Market......Some of the better seafood these lips have tasted.

Seconded. The best sushi I've ever had.

It_Could_Happen
10-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Go tour that battleship. I can't remember the name right now but that was our favorite thing we did when we were out there. Also the zoo is incredible.

dawgs
10-02-2015, 04:53 PM

Tri tip is pretty common at most grocery stores here in the pac NW. Hadn't really thought about it not being common outside of the west coast.

SDDawg
10-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Tri-tip is ok, not my favorite but I get the point there. In general San Diego has terrible BBQ, but I say that as a person born and raised in Mississippi, been all over the southeast and also lived in St. Louis for 15 years. Terrible BBQ out here, don't waste your time.

Bothrops
10-02-2015, 08:28 PM
The zoo is still probably the best in the world, and the wildlife animal park is neat, if you wanna take a little road trip toward the desert. USS Midway museum, Coronado Island, Torrey Pines, La Jolla. Gaslamp District is a great place to be in the evening. The weather is perfect, the scenery is great. The place is kick ass.

scottycameron
10-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Tri-tip is ok, not my favorite but I get the point there. In general San Diego has terrible BBQ, but I say that as a person born and raised in Mississippi, been all over the southeast and also lived in St. Louis for 15 years. Terrible BBQ out here, don't waste your time.

I get that, but keep in mind, I am not considering tri tip bbq at all. It's not, and I've never seen it advocated as such. Like a steak, it can be great but should never be compared to BBQ. Cooked the opposite of bbq. I like tri-tip cause I can't get it much. I don't cook stuff because I really like to eat it, which is probably dumb, I like to cook stuff that is a process to get right. Usually I've drank so much cooking it I could care less about eating it ( I like to taste to get the jest, tho). I always did this with ribs. I like them but not to get a big plate and eat, that desire went away a long, long time ago. Same with everything I cook, except for maybe homemade pizza on the egg, or pasta on the egg, or chili. Those are eating foods. BBQ is different. I guess it's like building an old muscle car, looking at the finished product, and having other people enjoy it is what you crave, not the driving it.

MabenMaroon
10-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Been a very long time ago, but included SeaWorld on my itinerary and enjoyed it very much along with the zoo ( which they say is the finest n the country ). Also would recommend the aircraft carrier tour as well. Really enjoyed walking the various beach strips with the shops and the wide variety of the various human freak shows you will encounter.