PDA

View Full Version : So what happened in the second half vs AU?

Statefan
09-30-2015, 07:45 PM
If you look at the last half of the lsu game, and the first half against auburn (2TDs in 3 possessions), our offense was killing it and looking very productive. Then after half time we only get 3 points.

I know we had the fumble on a drive with some drops and some good throws by Dak, but where did our offense go after halftime?

Jack Lambert
09-30-2015, 08:01 PM
I rewatched the game and it looked like Dak was playing clock control. Seems he was letting the play clock to almost 1 or 2 seconds before snapping.

I think Mullen felt pretty good about the Defense and put some trust in them. He spoke highly of them after the game.

Harrydawg
09-30-2015, 08:18 PM
No doubt, we came out with hammer down first possession second half with full intent to make it a 3 possession game.

Wally fumbled and we played the rest of the game safe, up by 2 possessions. It worked. We let up and played field position, making the young QB drive the field while turning up the heat in the 4th.

smootness
09-30-2015, 08:55 PM
I rewatched the game and it looked like Dak was playing clock control. Seems he was letting the play clock to almost 1 or 2 seconds before snapping.

I think Mullen felt pretty good about the Defense and put some trust in them. He spoke highly of them after the game.

I'll always take a win, and I don't want to be overly critical because the strategy did get us a win and that's all you ever want, but I will never understand this idea by coaches. You can play relatively cautiously while still attempting to move the ball and score.

I'm not saying Mullen wanted to avoid scoring, but we were a bit overly bland and conservative. Especially considering Auburn's inability to get much going on offense, an additional score is huge for us in that scenario.

I always want my offense to be proactive in trying to win the game vs. hoping my defense can stop them from winning it. It's the same with a scenario like Tennessee Saturday where Butch Jones just ran it up the middle 3 times and punted late up only 6. If you get one first down, you win. Instead, you'd rather just hope they don't win it?

Coaches get way too conservative with a late lead, and it bites them far more often than it should.

Jarius
09-30-2015, 09:09 PM
If we are going to run clock we need to do a lot of 2 back triple option type stuff with Shump and holloway. It's how we can move the ball and burn clock.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2015, 06:58 AM
Not saying I like going conservative but Mullen has only lost 1 game with a lead going into the 4th quarter. The games we lose are the ones like LSU or Bama where we look like hot garbage in the first half.

SheltonChoked
10-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Not if they are crowding the line to stop the run. I like our chances passing. Especially if Dak is passing as well as he did on Saturday.