PDA

View Full Version : Bow season

Treemydawg
09-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Starts in the morning men, somethings going to die. I've been waiting on tomorrow all year and I'm like a kid on Christmas morning. Anybody else as pumped as I am?

SapperDawg
09-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Two weeks until opening day for us in AL. I am ready to get out there, gonna be hunting Redstone Arsenal for the first time this year, and I have a few hard to reach TVA spots I am looking forward to hitting. My next two weeks will be squirrell hunting/scouting.

SpeckleDawg
09-30-2015, 10:05 PM
Due to work, I won't be hunting until Saturday morning. I'm definitely fired up about it. I've had everything ready to go since Monday. Headed north Friday afternoon. The weather forecast is looking great, with a high of 72 on Saturday!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-01-2015, 08:38 AM
First hunt this afternoon and work is creeping by. Dong my first bow hunt from a ground blind and I'm pumped to see how it goes. Good luck OD's!

Uncle Ruckus
10-01-2015, 10:20 AM
I bow hunted as a teenager before football took up all my time in high school. That was 10 years ago and I just bought a bow last week to be ready for next year. Yeah, I could go out there today but I don't want the chance of me maiming a deer because I'm not 100% comfortable with it. By this time next year it will be an extension of my body and my freezer will be packed with tender doe meat by thanksgiving, leaving me all winter to hunt for a trophy. I know a pretty good bit about the accessories but have no idea what has came out on the last year. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards a single pin by trophy ridge for a sight. Unsure on my stabilizer but I want one that has adjustable weights most likely. Carbon express arrows, hands down the truest arrow on the market, I've seen it first hand.

SpeckleDawg
10-01-2015, 01:09 PM
I bow hunted as a teenager before football took up all my time in high school. That was 10 years ago and I just bought a bow last week to be ready for next year. Yeah, I could go out there today but I don't want the chance of me maiming a deer because I'm not 100% comfortable with it. By this time next year it will be an extension of my body and my freezer will be packed with tender doe meat by thanksgiving, leaving me all winter to hunt for a trophy. I know a pretty good bit about the accessories but have no idea what has came out on the last year. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards a single pin by trophy ridge for a sight. Unsure on my stabilizer but I want one that has adjustable weights most likely. Carbon express arrows, hands down the truest arrow on the market, I've seen it first hand.

I haven't upgraded anything in a few years, but I really like my single pin sight. I use an HHA single pin and love it as well as my QAD drop away rest. I agree on the carbon express arrows and use the maxima hunters. What bow did you get? I got a Mathews Z7 from a family friend a few years ago and don't see any reason to buy a new one any time soon. Pretty much every modern bow is a killer now. Also, just to rile someone up - I love my 2-blade Rages.

Uncivilengineer
10-01-2015, 04:31 PM
I need to upgrade my gear. Is there any down side to buying a crossbow?

Treemydawg
10-01-2015, 06:14 PM

If you aren't going to hunt until next year and you are going to put in a fair amount of target practice don't use a peep sight. Have a bow shop attach a loop for your release and have them put a kisser button on your string. If you will practice alot it is the best setup for hunting. You gain a extra 30 min of shooting light not having a peep sight because of all the light that is taken away from the small hole in the peep. Just anchor everything ( your hand, kisser button, string on your nose ) in the same exact place every time you shoot and look down the left side of the string( if you're right handed) and keep it on the edge of your pins or pin and you can be just as accurate without the peep sight. It may be a little frustrating at first but if you will learn to shoot a bow that way you won't regret it when a p&y buck comes under your tree with daylight almost gone.

Treemydawg
10-01-2015, 06:17 PM
I need to upgrade my gear. Is there any down side to buying a crossbow?

I know several people that have switched from a bow to a cross bow and not a one of them would switch back.

Uncle Ruckus
10-02-2015, 09:02 AM
I haven't upgraded anything in a few years, but I really like my single pin sight. I use an HHA single pin and love it as well as my QAD drop away rest. I agree on the carbon express arrows and use the maxima hunters. What bow did you get? I got a Mathews Z7 from a family friend a few years ago and don't see any reason to buy a new one any time soon. Pretty much every modern bow is a killer now. Also, just to rile someone up - I love my 2-blade Rages.

I got a Bowtech, but I haven't paid for it. A good friend owns a bow shop and let me take home a demo to shoot. It's a RAK package so it's ready to go out of the box, but I would get a bare one and put my own stuff on it. He's been telling me to come get an Elite bow to try but the price is a bit more. Do you use the Rage Extreme or the Hypodermics? I bought the 3-blade Kore's. I watched some demos on them and thought I'd get them a shot.

SpeckleDawg
10-02-2015, 09:40 AM
A good friend owns a bow shop

You lucky SOB...

Do you use the Rage Extreme or the Hypodermics? I bought the 3-blade Kore's. I watched some demos on them and thought I'd get them a shot.

I still have some of the original 2-blades. Not sure if they still have them or if they've all changed. I haven't shot a ton of deer with them, but they haven't failed me yet.

ETA: Just looked at their site. Good Lord, I didn't realize how many models they now have out.

TUSK
10-12-2015, 05:49 PM
If you aren't going to hunt until next year and you are going to put in a fair amount of target practice don't use a peep sight.

. Just anchor everything ( your hand, kisser button, string on your nose ) in the same exact place every time you shoot and look down the left side of the string( if you're right handed) and keep it on the edge of your pins or pin and you can be just as accurate without the peep sight. It may be a little frustrating at first but if you will learn to shoot a bow that way you won't regret it when a p&y buck comes under your tree with daylight almost gone.

Dude... terrific, common sense advice... nice!

I'm a dumbass.

SpeckleDawg
10-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Finally stuck a decent buck yesterday afternoon. 190lb 8pt at 20 yards. He ran 75-80 yards and piled up. The 2 blade rage did some damage this time and left quite a trail.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/C911504F-945A-4560-858D-61522EF0C61B_zps2yctxfht.png (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/C911504F-945A-4560-858D-61522EF0C61B_zps2yctxfht.png.html)

Uncle Ruckus
10-20-2015, 07:56 AM
That just got me goin. Awesome. I'm doing a range day Sunday to get everything ready. Do you hunt on the coast? I haven't been down here long and my hunting land is 2 hours and 3 hours from here. Seems like everyone down here runs dogs and that's not my thing.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-20-2015, 08:05 AM
Finally stuck a decent buck yesterday afternoon. 190lb 8pt at 20 yards. He ran 75-80 yards and piled up. The 2 blade rage did some damage this time and left quite a trail.

http://i1319.photobucket.com/albums/t668/kbs68/C911504F-945A-4560-858D-61522EF0C61B_zps2yctxfht.png (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kbs68/media/C911504F-945A-4560-858D-61522EF0C61B_zps2yctxfht.png.html)

Thanks for the motivation, I was starting to lose faith there was a racked buck in MS haha. This combined with a good chance of rain this weekend should turn the season around.

ETA: Nice Buck!

SpeckleDawg
10-20-2015, 08:46 AM
That just got me goin. Awesome. I'm doing a range day Sunday to get everything ready. Do you hunt on the coast? I haven't been down here long and my hunting land is 2 hours and 3 hours from here. Seems like everyone down here runs dogs and that's not my thing.

No, I hunt about 3.5 hours north. The hunting on the coast is tough from what I can tell, but I've never tried around here.

"Thanks for the motivation, I was starting to lose faith there was a racked buck in MS haha. This combined with a good chance of rain this weekend should turn the season around."

I know what you mean. This was the first 'shooter' buck that I've had in bow range in a long time.

FISHDAWG
10-20-2015, 12:51 PM
If you aren't going to hunt until next year and you are going to put in a fair amount of target practice don't use a peep sight. Have a bow shop attach a loop for your release and have them put a kisser button on your string. If you will practice alot it is the best setup for hunting. You gain a extra 30 min of shooting light not having a peep sight because of all the light that is taken away from the small hole in the peep. Just anchor everything ( your hand, kisser button, string on your nose ) in the same exact place every time you shoot and look down the left side of the string( if you're right handed) and keep it on the edge of your pins or pin and you can be just as accurate without the peep sight. It may be a little frustrating at first but if you will learn to shoot a bow that way you won't regret it when a p&y buck comes under your tree with daylight almost gone.

the man is obviously speaking from experience .... Speckledawg - nice buck there

Crystal Balls
10-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Nice buck Speckledawg. Got a Doe in the freezer so far. Haven't seen a legal buck within range yet.