PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen it mentioned, but with a win Saturday, Mullen will get his 50th

BhamDawg
09-30-2015, 01:23 PM
5 games into his 7th season. JWS got his 50th the first game of 1999, his 9th season.
49-32 vs 49-42-2.

As critical as I have been at times, and despite Mullen's flaws, and the fact that he should have gotten this ummm.......2009 LSU, 2010 Arkansas, 2011 Auburn, 2013 Auburn, 2015 LSU.......at least 5 games ago...

We are in good hands and have never been in a better place as a program. Hail State!

godlluB
09-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the other day, we're now worried about being out of contention to win the West. Five years ago we were worrying about being bowl eligible. Quite the change.

dawg27
09-30-2015, 02:00 PM
b
Yeah, I was thinking the other day, we're now worried about being out of contention to win the West. Five years ago we were worrying about being bowl eligible. Quite the change.

Great post.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2015, 02:04 PM

Yep. Ask said in a recent post, we now have 1st world problems instead of 3rd world problems.

1st world problem: Our offense isn't balanced.

3rd world problem: We can't get a 1st down.

1st world problem: our bend but don't break defense stays on the field too long.

3rd world problem: Can we keep LSU & Bama from scoring 40+

1st world problem: Can't believe we used Bell to attempt the 52 yard FG to beat LSU

3rd world problem: we got in FG range against LSU?

TrapGame
09-30-2015, 02:07 PM

I'm glad those days are over. I'll take being disappointed in finishing 3rd or 4th in the West over being dead last and no bowl game any day!

MSUDawg4Life
09-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Dan Mullen is proving to be one of the best, if not the best, football head coaches that we've had in our history.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Dan Mullen is proving to be one of the best, if not the best, football head coaches that we've had in our history.

Once he gets us to Atlanta, it will be unquestionable.

Dawgtini
09-30-2015, 03:20 PM
Yep. Ask said in a recent post, we now have 1st world problems instead of 3rd world problems.

1st world problem: Our offense isn't balanced.

3rd world problem: We can't get a 1st down.

1st world problem: our bend but don't break defense stays on the field too long.

3rd world problem: Can we keep LSU & Bama from scoring 40+

1st world problem: Can't believe we used Bell to attempt the 52 yard FG to beat LSU

Well done. Rep points to you good sir!

Mjoelner34
09-30-2015, 03:22 PM

Rep points for this one alone.

KB21
09-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Say what you want about Dan Mullen, but we have never had expectations like we have had under him. He has completely transformed the program from an also ran to a legitimate threat in the SEC. No one in the country is better at player development as the coaching staff he has put together. He is genuine. He doesn't blow smoke up people's rear ends. He tells recruits from the very beginning that if you aren't ready to work, you don't need to come to Mississippi State. By and large, he gets young players who have the right mindset. He may not always make the right coaching decision, but no coach makes all the right calls.

War Machine Dawg
09-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Mullen has his flaws, but so does every coach. He's the best we've had and we've come a long damn way from the Croom Error. But to be fair, Mullen has the advantage of the 12 game schedule on his side over JWS. He'll have roughly 10 more games coached after this season than JWS did in his first 7, by the time you add in bowl appearances. And that extra game is an OOC game. He's gotten to 50 faster, but he's had more opportunities. Just saying it's not exactly apples-to-apples to say he's done it "faster" than JWS.

Schultzy
09-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Once he gets us to Atlanta, it will be unquestionable.

But he has to accomplish that to match Jackie; bottom line.

Absent that, he will always be number two.

BulldogBear
09-30-2015, 08:37 PM
But he has to accomplish that to match Jackie; bottom line.

Absent that, he will always be number two.
Getting to Atlanta would move him UP to #2 and JWS down to #3. Win in Atlanta and he might take #1. We'll see. If he takes up to the CFP then, perhaps, there will be no question. Right now I wouldn't really put either of them above Allyn McKeen, who won an SEC Championship outright, went 65-19-3 over nine seasons and only once failed to produce a winning record and even that was .500 (4-4-1).

Schultzy
09-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Getting to Atlanta would move him UP to #2 and JWS down to #3. Win in Atlanta and he might take #1. We'll see. If he takes up to the CFP then, perhaps, there will be no question. Right now I wouldn't really put either of them above Allyn McKeen, who won an SEC Championship outright, went 65-19-3 over nine seasons and only once failed to produce a winning record and even that was .500 (4-4-1).

We fired him after that season but shouldn't have, we thought we were Bama then.

Jackie won the West and was less than a quarter away from winning the conference in the Division era. He wins.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-30-2015, 09:59 PM
He has completely transformed the program from an also ran to a legitimate threat in the SEC.

Uh, to bad the media doesn't recognize this fact. It's still the same ole Miss-sippy State to Booger, Marcus and the rest of the talking heads. Maybe they will be on board again when we continue to win or will it just be that the SEC is down?

Jack Lambert
09-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Uh, to bad the media doesn't recognize this fact. It's still the same ole Miss-sippy State to Booger, Marcus and the rest of the talking heads. Maybe they will be on board again when we continue to win or will it just be that the SEC is down?

That will never happen. There is one aspect everyone needs to remember. Those guys have their favorites. Boogers favorite is LSU. They need Miss STate to be down always. It helps their team and everytime they say something good about Miss State it helps Miss State recruit and they know it.

See Bo needs to understand this. Bo saying the guys on our team don't have talent could come back to bite him. Some of these guys are going to be really good NFL guys and I think they will remember what Bo said about them. He might want them on his radio show one day plus all this negative talk about our talent isn't helping recruiting.

Alldawg
10-01-2015, 09:26 AM
5 games into his 7th season. JWS got his 50th the first game of 1999, his 9th season.
49-32 vs 49-42-2.

As critical as I have been at times, and despite Mullen's flaws, and the fact that he should have gotten this ummm.......2009 LSU, 2010 Arkansas, 2011 Auburn, 2013 Auburn, 2015 LSU.......at least 5 games ago...

We are in good hands and have never been in a better place as a program. Hail State!

Did you not hear that Dan sold his soul to the devil for success on the football field? ******

TrapGame
10-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Did you not hear that Dan sold his soul to the devil for success on the football field? ******

No, that was Hugh Freeze.

BulldogBear
10-01-2015, 09:48 AM
We fired him after that season but shouldn't have, we thought we were Bama then.

Jackie won the West and was less than a quarter away from winning the conference in the Division era. He wins.

He was a quarter away from accomplishing what McKeen already did with a much better win percentage, even at the time....so, No.

blacklistedbully
10-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I respect Dan for a TON of things he has done at MSU, not the least of which was raising expectations, getting our players and fans to buy-in, etc.

That said, I do wonder if he was at least partially aided by the insane amount of money we get from the SEC contracts. The ESPN deals brought in so much money, I think it helped close-the-gap considerably with the blue-bloods.

Yes, they still bring in a LOT more money than we do, but I suspect it's gotten to the point of diminishing returns, as there is only so much money one needs to be able to compete.

Still, money alone doesn't get the job done, and we've seen that at other schools over the years. Still have to have great coaching, especially in the SEC, and especially in the SECW.

BhamDawg
10-01-2015, 11:13 AM
But to be fair, Mullen has the advantage of the 12 game schedule on his side over JWS. He'll have roughly 10 more games coached after this season than JWS did in his first 7, by the time you add in bowl appearances. And that extra game is an OOC game. He's gotten to 50 faster, but he's had more opportunities. Just saying it's not exactly apples-to-apples to say he's done it "faster" than JWS.

I see what your saying about the seasons, but it took JWS 94 games to get to 50 wins. It will have taken Mullen 82 or 83. So, no he hasn't had more "opportunities," he has done is faster and in a much tougher SEC.