PDA

View Full Version : DVR'd and re-watched Auburn game

Schultzy
09-29-2015, 10:37 PM
and decided to keep up with missed tackles. 5 were on the first drive; 1 in the second quarter; 2 in the third and 3 in the fourth quarter. 11 total

1Q
Z. Jackson 13:25 but Ritchie sacked the QB
Z. Jackson 12:32 missed trailing the play down the LOS
J. Calvin juked by RB on draw play @ 12:00
Teveze missed at the forty @ 12:55 mark
T. Dale missed at 11:25

2Q
B. Brown 4:38 but was being blocked

3Q
G. Greene @ 8:07 on Brock Thomas
T. Cleveland @ 4:50 but this one is questionable

4Q
B. Bryant 14:50 on swing pass to Brock Thomas in open field.
Redmond 3:17 to go on their #5
Our #24 with 1:40 to go

All those missed tackles on the first drive is what got people so worked up but it seems we corrected it.

Other observations:

Brandon Bryant and Market made some great open field tackles; Gerri Greene smoked Barber.

Our DE's dont stay at home so the bootleg works against us.
They held #88 James a good bit.
We blitzed a lot more than I realized.
They ran right at Chris Jones from the 1 on 2nd down before halftime...bad decision.
Teveze got blocked in the back on their QB's longest run.
Desper played well.
Elgton did ok; held his own at Auburn and will get better.
Their QB ain't bad, not sure if he's their long term answer but I bet he plays well throughout.

archdog
09-29-2015, 11:09 PM
I will add to this. There really wasn't that many missed tackles. My issue is when our guys had a great opportunity to stop the runner dead in their tracks they missed and Auburn got a new set of downs.

The refs didn't call anything on either side. We were holding in pass blocking and they were creating lanes for the run game by holding. Both could have been called pretty much throughout the game.

If Shump is going to be the guy, I want him to hit the hole hard and fall forward. No reason not to pick up 3 yards when its there. Get low, get square, and be ready to spin move your way into an extra yard per carry. He looks so fluid catching the ball. If only we could get him to make 1 cut and punish the guy who is tackling him in space. I want to see a run with attitude. Go back and watch his spring game carries. Everyone of our backs were excelerating at the would be tackler. And that was against our tacklers. I believe we were all ready to see a physical running game after the spring game. Instead we have seen our rbs fold like a lawn chair when they are grazed by an arm tackle. Lets get some attitude about it. Shit.

archdog
09-29-2015, 11:11 PM
Came back to say, Brandon Holloway is a beast. I want Holloway to start talking shit to our other backs until 1 shows us something.

LC Dawg
09-30-2015, 07:56 AM
I watched the replay last night and I agree that the tackling wasn't as bad as I thought watching it live. The biggest difference from the previous games was obviously Richie Brown completing all his tackles. I really think we toyed with them on defense. They got some yards but when Manny wanted pressure he got pressure and when he wanted to confuse White he confused him. The rest of the time we just kept them from making big plays. I feel much better about our defense after re-watching the game.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Came back to say, Brandon Holloway is a beast. I want Holloway to start talking shit to our other backs until 1 shows us something.

Seems the other backs don't get too many chances to show us anything.

FISHDAWG
09-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Seems the other backs don't get too many chances to show us anything.

but when they did get the chance they looked .................

BeastMan
09-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Has anyone watched Chris Jones every play? I'm really starting to get frustrated with his effort. If he played with AJ Jeffersons motor he'd be a lottery pick in the draft.

GreenheadDawg
09-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Has anyone watched Chris Jones every play? I'm really starting to get frustrated with his effort. If he played with AJ Jeffersons motor he'd be a lottery pick in the draft.

Absolutely. He takes a lot of plays off.. He gets frustrated with double teams and stops trying.

Schultzy
09-30-2015, 08:02 PM
He split a double team and blasted the Qb in 3Q Saturday night.

He gets so many hurries that people don't see including the two interceptions that ended the Lsu and Auburn games last year.

Plus tips at line of scrimmage.

Plus he stuffed Auburn at 2nd and 1 at the one yard line before the half at Auburn this very week. He is so under appreciated. So MSU fans to do that.

BeastMan
09-30-2015, 10:24 PM
He split a double team and blasted the Qb in 3Q Saturday night.

He gets so many hurries that people don't see including the two interceptions that ended the Lsu and Auburn games last year.

Plus tips at line of scrimmage.

Plus he stuffed Auburn at 2nd and 1 at the one yard line before the half at Auburn this very week. He is so under appreciated. So MSU fans to do that.

I'm talking just this year. Vs Auburb he had 2 assisted tackles and a 1 QBH. I'm not questioning his talent and I'm also not saying he couldn't play a stretch were he's wrecking shop and fly up the draft boards and rack up SEC DL OTW awards... He certainly can. I'll be the first to say I have very high expectations. Higher than anyone on the defense. I just want to see him DOMINATE like I know he can.

Schultzy
10-01-2015, 07:36 AM
A lot of people have expressed this about him, I just wonder if a guy his size can go 100% all the time. I'd probably not be a very good football coach for it.