PDA

View Full Version : 1st Series Against A&M: What do you run?

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2015, 04:33 PM
I think at this point we all know that we are going to chunk the ball all over the field, but I also think we realize that we MUST develop at some semblance of a running game in order to take the next step & become a legitimate SEC West contender this year.

With that being said, I think the offensive game plan will be similar to the one we saw at Auburn with more carries for Holloway, Dear, & Myles, & less carries for Shumpert.

Last week I was all for getting off the bus & chunking the ball down the field in an effort to deliver a knockout punch to Auburn early in the game. However, this week, while I know we are going to throw a ton, I think it would really be to our advantage to try & establish something in the run game early.

In the first series of the game, I would run an aggressive running game that included a reverse, jet sweeps, etc, to, like C34 said, attack the edges of the defense.

The goal would be to pick up a few quick first downs, & then play action off of that for a TD.

Hopefully, by establishing some semblance of a running game early, it will open some big plays down the field for our WRs & allow us to shorten the game.

Our coach's challenge this week is to find creative ways to run the ball. We don't have to run it in a traditional way. We just need to create the threat of it.

What would you do?

BulldogBear
09-29-2015, 04:54 PM
I want to see a middle screen somewhere in that opening drive.

Mjoelner34
09-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Jet sweep pass. Myles to Gray.

CadaverDawg
09-29-2015, 05:02 PM
I'd run a few plays early right at their Defensive Ends. A TE motion, bump the DE then out into the flat for a few yards....a play where Shump bumps the opposite DE and then down field a few yards, etc. Give those DE's a quick punch in the mouth, and get in their heads that we are going to come right at them all game, which could in turn make them take a few plays off on the pass rush thinking they need to stay home.

I think we also need quick routes early to get the ball out of Dak's hand. That will help with pass rush too. I would also run some plays where our tackles use the DE's aggression against them by pushing them upfield and running Holloway and/or Dak right underneath them to the outside. Whatever we can do to make that pocket more comfortable for the remainder of the game, Bc it looks like Dak will be in it a lot.

A&M will get their pressure....but I'd rather it be spread out throughout the game, than right at first....Bc a few sacks and an INT out of the gate could give them momentum and let the game get away from us early.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2015, 05:20 PM
I'd run a few plays early right at their Defensive Ends. A TE motion, bump the DE then out into the flat for a few yards....a play where Shump bumps the opposite DE and then down field a few yards, etc. Give those DE's a quick punch in the mouth, and get in their heads that we are going to come right at them all game, which could in turn make them take a few plays off on the pass rush thinking they need to stay home.

I think we also need quick routes early to get the ball out of Dak's hand. That will help with pass rush too. I would also run some plays where our tackles use the DE's aggression against them by pushing them upfield and running Holloway and/or Dak right underneath them to the outside. Whatever we can do to make that pocket more comfortable for the remainder of the game, Bc it looks like Dak will be in it a lot.

A&M will get their pressure....but I'd rather it be spread out throughout the game, than right at first....Bc a few sacks and an INT out of the gate could give them momentum and let the game get away from us early.

Good thoughts CD

SheltonChoked
09-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Depends on what they show as far as coverage. If they spy on dak and play press man across the board, I motion Ross to the side with brown to put Bear in 1 on 1 and work that all day. Then I sub D gray for bear and keep working it. I'd mix in some M dear on a flare route. But I'll take my chances with bear vs anyone in press man. Ross too. And d gray.

DancingRabbit
09-29-2015, 05:41 PM
1st Series Against A&M: What do you run?

The GD Football. **

But seriously folks, I think we see some effective zone read in this game. Their DE's are good but tend to get upfield too quick. One starting DT is out with an injury. LBs appear to be their defense's weakest group. They struggled against the Hogs - seems it's a combination of injuries, youth and comfort with Chavis' schemes. Of course our OL is not as big or experienced as the Hogs.

Dallas_Dawg
09-29-2015, 05:58 PM
1st Down: Shumpertz Off Right Tackle
2nd Down: Shumpertz off Left Tackle
3rd Down: Hollowayz up the middle

Dawgtini
09-29-2015, 06:24 PM
1st Down: Shumpertz Off Right Tackle
2nd Down: Shumpertz off Left Tackle
3rd Down: Hollowayz up the middle
First Down Bulldogs! Hail State!

1st Down - Bearforce1 down right sideline - TOUCHDOWN!

archdog
09-29-2015, 06:29 PM
If we don't get a running game going, Aeris and Lee need the touches until it gets going. I am willing to bet we can run the ball with Lee and Aeris.
We need someone to gain 125 this week. I do not care who does it. I don't care what formation we run as long as we can get positive yards and move the sticks and chew up clock.
We could do this with the passing game, but we need to work on maintaining our rhythm when we are burning clock. Maybe a huddle could do it? Who knows? But we need to start rolling and burn clock at the same time.

CarolinaDawgs
09-29-2015, 06:41 PM
I swear I don't think running the football the 1st series is the way to go. I pray that when we play teams at home they try to establish some tone and run it at us in the first series cause our Defense (and everyone else's for that matter) is way way way hyped up in the first series at home. Sit in the pocket and take what they give you in the air the first play. Ive said it before and I will say it again a 3yd run and a 3yd pass are equally effective except the Defense grows bigger nuts when they stop a 3yd run. After we move the chains once or twice then we can run the ball, but lets not give their defense any more inflation then they already have in the first series.

Jack Lambert
09-29-2015, 06:49 PM
I want to see a middle screen somewhere in that opening drive.

1st play to Holloway.

aerodawg
09-29-2015, 07:31 PM
1st Series Against A&M: What do you run?

Trick question, you throw. Screen right over their bull rushing DEs head to Malik Dear. I would punish those two guys for their bull headed pass rush. Do I feel confident we will? Meh I doubt it after not torching Ole Miss for this exact playstyle last year.

I seen it dawg
09-29-2015, 08:11 PM

missouridawg
09-29-2015, 08:53 PM
The oopty oop

FISHDAWG
09-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Dontavian Lee off right tackle ... then A Williams on an option ... Then D Gray on a long post

Aces High
09-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Flying V with Nick James carrying the ball.

TrapGame
09-30-2015, 08:35 AM
The GD Football. **

LOL!!

I just spit coffee on my screen!

Dawg Corps
09-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Anthony Dixon up the middle.

drunkernhelldawg
09-30-2015, 09:07 AM
Ist Down: Screen pass to Shumpert
2nd Down: Shumpert up the middle
1st Down: Sideline to Wilson for 15
1st Down: Holloway Sweep
2nd Down: Dak Keeper
1st Down . . .

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Ist Down: Screen pass to Shumpert
2nd Down: Shumpert up the middle
1st Down: Sideline to Wilson for 15
1st Down: Holloway Sweep
2nd Down: Dak Keeper
1st Down : TACKLE ELIGIBLE PLAY TO WARREN SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO BLOCK GARRETT

Coach007
09-30-2015, 09:36 AM
The fast DE they have is going to be a problem on end arounds etc... I would avoid that side witht hose plays. Here is my down for down:

1- Assuming that DE is lined on the left. Put in motion from left to right Dear or Myles, Snap as they get to Dak, Fake it to Dear/Myles, Follow Shump to the left (shump can pick up the block) stop throw back to Dear or Myles allowing their speed to pick up the yards.

2- Assuming the DE is still on the left, Put in motion Holaway, snap as he gets to Dak, fake to Hollaway, Follow Shump to the left by 2 Steps. Look down field Pump, hit Shump after he bumps the DE

3- Again put Myles in motion. Snap as he gets to Dak, fake the Zone read... (taking a few steps with Myles). Stop Set, throw it deep, or hit the TE on the seam.

Those are the all passes, 2 are run game extensions.

4- Dear in Motion, snap, option to the side of the DE (ot use the DEs speed against him creating whole.) Shuffle pass to Walley through the mentioned whole I would expect 4 yards.

5- Ross in motion, Delayed fake hand off, Dak trails Shump. Again I expect 3-4 yards.

6- Roll Dak outdrag the WR and Te. Either run or Pass.

7- Just for the sake of throwing everybody off, I would line up in an I formation, read the reaction of the LBs, if the box is loaded I'm smilling. Snap, willing to bet they take the fake and crash, Hollaway, scrubs the DE sprinting out into the flat, pass. If they bit on the fake.... its a great gain.

8- Walk over to TAMU's bench ask if they've had enough. :)

Political Hack
09-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Sweep right three times in a row and then on 4th down same play but with a reverse to the outside WR. Worked pretty well in flag football the other day.

Coach34
09-30-2015, 10:12 AM
QB draw with Shump lead blocking on the LB. Let the DE's come off hard and use their momentum against them to start the game. Show their ass we are gonna be in their head all nite long

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2015, 10:23 AM
The Freds to the left. Bear to the right. Holloway as a flanker on the left behind Dak. Bear runs around to the left for trips left. Dak fakes to Holloway. No! he doesn't fake. He thinks about faking...No, he PRETENDS to fake... Hold on, I need some water.

There you go. Touchdown.

DancingRabbit
09-30-2015, 10:31 AM
QB draw with Shump lead blocking on the LB. Let the DE's come off hard and use their momentum against them to start the game. Show their ass we are gonna be in their head all nite long

I think we do this in the first drive, if not the first set of downs. May see the shuttle pass in the first or second drive.