PDA

View Full Version : C34's "things to watch for va A&M"

Coach34
09-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Offensively:

1. Control their DE's. Dakota has gone 191 straight passes w/o a pick. The key to keeping that steak alive is to keep their DE's off him so he can have time to throw. Also sacks would put us in long situations making us more libel to throw a pick. This is huge for us

2. RTGDF- we have to be able to run some and move the clock. Both teams can't keep having 3 minute possessions. We have to help our D get some rest Saturday.

3. Get it to the playmakers. Keep feeding Bear, Ross, and Freddy.

Defensively:

1. Win the battle upfront. If they can run on us- it's gonna be a tough day. We have to control the run game with our front 4.

2. Keep their Slots from hitting big plays vs our nickel guys or Safeties. That's how they beat you. It won't be because #2 and #23 are getting beat.

3. Win with selective pressure. We've done a good job of this so far this year. Force throws where we want them to go, get some sacks, force a couple of picks...etc

These are the keys to the game for me

HoopsDawg
09-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Defensively, you have to go with nickel right? I would rather have Cleveland in there for pass coverage than Jackson. The Brown Brothers and our front 4 will have to be enough to stop the run. Kirk has been the big play guy for A&M.

Offensively, I don't think we can RTGDF. But you can still run clock with a short passing game, we just won't be able to go tempo as much as Mullen would like. We don't have enough D-line depth to go tempo.

And I will edit to add that Mullen needs to be agressive on 4th downs. You can't beat A&M by punting on 4th and 3 on their side of the field.

Bubb Rubb
09-29-2015, 10:29 AM
I think you're going to see a whole lot more "bend but don't break" on defense again this week. Dan even alluded to it in his presser...it's easier to defend in the redzone because there's less field to defend. I expect to see more two deep safeties and keep everything in front. I'm not a big fan of that, but if it works, I think we'll end up happy with it.

GreenheadDawg
09-29-2015, 10:34 AM
Offensively:

1. Control their DE's. Dakota has gone 191 straight passes w/o a pick. The key to keeping that steak alive is to keep their DE's off him so he can have time to throw. Also sacks would put us in long situations making us more libel to throw a pick. This is huge for us

2. RTGDF- we have to be able to run some and move the clock. Both teams can't keep having 3 minute possessions. We have to help our D get some rest Saturday.

3. Get it to the playmakers. Keep feeding Bear, Ross, and Freddy.

Defensively:

1. Win the battle upfront. If they can run on us- it's gonna be a tough day. We have to control the run game with our front 4.

2. Keep their Slots from hitting big plays vs our nickel guys or Safeties. That's how they beat you. It won't be because #2 and #23 are getting beat.

3. Win with selective pressure. We've done a good job of this so far this year. Force throws where we want them to go, get some sacks, force a couple of picks...etc

These are the keys to the game for me

#2 is what I'm most afraid of. I have bad feeling Cleveland and the safeties are going to get sodomized by Kirk and company. I really think we match up poorly with their receivers. Outside of our #2 and 23 we just don't have the athletes in the secondary to stop them. Hopefully Diaz can get this figured out this week

Really Clark?
09-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Win the chains battle. We stay ahead of the chains it will help negate some of their pass rush. Keep them behind the chains and it really allows Diaz to be multiple and aggressive. To do that we have to continue getting better tackling. Build from what we did against Auburn late. If they get a 5 yard gain make sure it's stays 5 not 10+. If we give them the short stuff make sure the yac yards are kept to a min.

Jack Lambert
09-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Our offense is going to move the ball, run or not. What our guys have to do to win is don't get beat deep and lock up when they tackle.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Defensively, you have to go with nickel right? I would rather have Cleveland in there for pass coverage than Jackson. The Brown Brothers and our front 4 will have to be enough to stop the run. Kirk has been the big play guy for A&M.

Offensively, I don't think we can RTGDF. But you can still run clock with a short passing game, we just won't be able to go tempo as much as Mullen would like. We don't have enough D-line depth to go tempo.

And I will edit to add that Mullen needs to be aggressive on 4th downs. You can't beat A&M by punting on 4th and 3 on their side of the field.

Just a hunch, but I think we run the ball better this weekend.

It's not that we will get that much better this week in order to run it, but I think through trial & error we are at least learning how we have to run it to have success. My guess is that you'll see more Holloway running the ball, more touches for Myles & Dear through the run game, & that we will manufacture a serviceable running game this weekend.

sandwolf
09-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Our offense is going to move the ball, run or not.

That sure hasn't been the case so far. We have averaged 352 yards per game in the 2 SEC games we have played.......302.5 of that has come through the air, and only 49.5 has come on the ground. The running game has to improve.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2015, 11:46 AM
That sure hasn't been the case so far. We have averaged 352 yards per game in the 2 SEC games we have played.......302.5 of that has come through the air, and only 49.5 has come on the ground. The running game has to improve.

Here's the good news.

Our run game can't get much worse. I remember sitting around last season wondering, "Can we sustain this, what if our running game takes a hit."

This year, it's more, "Wow, we aren't even playing well & are still winning. If we started playing well, we'd be awesome."

Statefan
09-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Holloway did well against them last year...

THERES HOPE WE CAN RUN IT THIS WEEK

EdDawg
09-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Did Myles come back in the game last week and play after his injury?

NCDawg
09-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Don't let their little fast 2nd string QB get to the outside around our DE. If he does, don't think we can catch him.

Coach34
09-29-2015, 12:59 PM
UPig's QB threw for 260 on them- with 3 of their top WR's-TE's out. Let that sink in.

Really Clark?
09-29-2015, 01:06 PM
UPig's QB threw for 260 on them- with 3 of their top WR's-TE's out. Let that sink in.

I think it was 225. But he completed 80% of his passes. A & M did keep Henry in check but Drew Morgan had a great day. 8 catches for 155 yards.

Coach34
09-29-2015, 01:10 PM
my bad- 20/25 for 225....still- that says alot

WinningIsRelentless
09-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Redman has been playing the nic position all year. Look for that to be a big advantage.

TrapGame
09-29-2015, 01:23 PM
I think it was 225. But he completed 80% of his passes. A & M did keep Henry in check but Drew Morgan had a great day. 8 catches for 155 yards.

So, Ark just about beat them w/ a pass heavy game? And they don't have the WR talent we do either. Hmmmm.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2015, 01:27 PM
I don't know if we are going to win, but when you begin to pull the layers of the onion back on this matchup, if you don't think MSU has a solid chance to win this game, you're an idiot or someone that hasn't spent the necessary time looking at the matchup

Really Clark?
09-29-2015, 01:33 PM
So, Ark just about beat them w/ a pass heavy game? And they don't have the WR talent we do either. Hmmmm.

It was not a pass heavy game. But they were very efficient. 25 passes and 42 rushes. That's over 60% running.

TrapGame
09-29-2015, 01:39 PM
It was not a pass heavy game. But they were very efficient. 25 passes and 42 rushes. That's over 60% running.

Well, damn. Thought maybe...just maybe...

GreenheadDawg
09-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Redman has been playing the nic position all year. Look for that to be a big advantage.

Yep. And Method Man has got the mic

archdog
09-29-2015, 06:21 PM
Put in Lee and have him carry it for 65% of the carries and we win this game. It's time to get nasty on the run blocking. Mix that in with quick hitting 5-12 yard passes and we dominate this game.

PassInterference
09-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Watch for...Dak to throw 3 TDs.

IMissJack
09-29-2015, 07:18 PM
I am married to an Aggie and live in Houston, so I see a lot of Aggie stuff. They like the big play on O and tend to strike quick, sustained drives are not what they do typically. They have a lot of WR weapons and a QB that can get it to them. Bend and don't break is the best way to play them IMO.

blacklistedbully
09-29-2015, 08:40 PM

UPig has a credible run threat. That helps open up the pass. I seriously doubt TAMU is considering us the run-threat UPig is.

Where'sWaldo
09-29-2015, 11:12 PM
UPig has a credible run threat. That helps open up the pass. I seriously doubt TAMU is considering us the run-threat UPig is.

I can assure you Chavis considers any team with Dak Prescott as a serious running threat.

blacklistedbully
09-30-2015, 01:51 AM
I can assure you Chavis considers any team with Dak Prescott as a serious running threat.

I can assure you Chavis looks at UPig as having a more potent running game than MSU, OL and RB's considered. While we may yet prove to be effective running the ball this year, we haven't yet. With UPig, Chavis didn't have the luxury of just spying the QB and taking away the QB run.

Joe Schmedlap
09-30-2015, 05:36 AM
Arkansas was quite effective running the football off tackle all day which opened up the pass game. I'm afraid State will have to open up the run game with the passing attack. I hate to say it, but the Hog tailback that ran against aTm was physical and 4x better than Ashton Shumpert. We simply must find a legit tailback.

Augustus
09-30-2015, 10:14 AM
You should have success gashing us up the middle and outside just like Arkansas and Nevada did.

Our young DE's are incredibly talented, but their upfield rush takes them out of too many plays and leaves lanes wide open.

Additionally, our LB's have done a poor job filling their gaps and we've been really vulnerable right up the gut.

I expect Daeshon Hall and Myles Garrett are gonna be flying around like wild men trying to get Dak on the ground, and the result will be another failure to keep him contained if they don't get to him.

Our freshman DT Daylon Mack has the quickest burst I've ever seen from a defensive lineman, and he disrupts the backfield on a lot of plays, but he also flies right past the play on a number of occasions.

Wouldn't surprise me to see us force several 3-and-out's combined with getting burned right down the field on other occasions.

I expect our offense to put up some points, so it'll likely come down to who wins a shootout.

Coach34
09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
We are better on D than UPig- so don't count on shooting too much

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2015, 11:12 AM
We are better on D than UPig- so don't count on shooting too much

We are absolutely better than Arkansas on defense, but we don't control the ball as long as Arkansas does on offense, thus giving the offense more plays to score.

In this game, we must either eat clock on offense or score with more efficiency on offense if we are going to lose time of possession. Scoring only 17 points, like at Auburn, and losing TOP isn't going to cut it.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2015, 11:44 AM
Texas A&M only ran 16 plays in the first half against Arkansas.

GTHOM
09-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Offensively there is no doubt if we can slow down garrett we win the game. I believe we will move the ball and put up mid 20s to 30s on the scoreboard. i honestly think thats what it all comes down too. I dont know if they can or even want to stick to running the ball on us. Sumlin has always been impatient and he will go for the big play. I expect to see 2 deep safeties and they will probably abuse them with the intermediate passing game over the middle. Guys with speed on D need more reps this week, Brandon Bryant, JT Gray come to mind. I think our corners will hang in.

TrapGame
09-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Sumlin will test our 2 deep safeties strategy early. He'll want to land a blow and give Manny something to think about. However, I hope it turns into a pick 6.