PDA

View Full Version : Through 4 games-- 149 passes to 111 rushes 58/42 pass/run.. sky is not falling

Maroon_and_white
09-28-2015, 02:10 PM
4 games into the season we are ~58% pass to ~42% run.

Thread revisit:

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?33801-Can-our-Bulldogs-successfully-replace-Josh-Robinson-You-be-the-judge

"You are out of your mind"

"Ain't no way we throw more than run"

"Not if we want to win more than 6 games we had better not be throwing more"

"We will run more than pass. Book it"

We're 3-1 (1-1) and the world is not burning down because we are throwing more than running. I want to say good job to Dan for retooling the offense to our strengths. What if Dan had been stubborn and stuck to a 55/45 run/pass this year? It could have been a blow out loss to LSU and a close one at Auburn. The drop off at RB was more than we thought it was going to be. We do need to establish a better running game and I really hope Dan provides D Lee and A. Williams opportunities to play in big games. A&M is a winnable game with the offense we are running now.

Rayburn8
09-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Like I said, I welcome our new Air Raid overlords. I don't give a flying frick if we run or pass more as long as it works. With the weapons we have outside and Dak at QB we should throw more.

Maroon_and_white
09-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Like I said, I welcome our new Air Raid overlords. I don't give a flying frick if we run or pass more as long as it works. With the weapons we have outside and Dak at QB we should throw more.

I would like to see us stretch the field more in the passing game, maybe that can open up the running game some. Let's let Bear go up and get some deep routes and let fred ross really open up the middle of the field from the slot.

Really Clark?
09-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Well let's just see how the season goes avg 18 points per game in conference. Love the wins and see why we are throwing and a lot of it has to do with what the defenses are giving us and lack of a running game. The calls are indicative of that but that will flip pretty soon if we can't run much better. Glad to be 3-1

ETA. We beat A & M last year so why is our offense passing more now giving us a chance to beat them?

Jack Lambert
09-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Well let's just see how the season goes avg 18 points per game in conference. Love the wins and see why we are throwing and a lot of it has to do with what the defenses are giving us and lack of a running game. The calls are indicative of that but that will flip pretty soon if we can't run much better. Glad to be 3-1

ETA. We beat A & M last year so why is our offense passing more now giving us a chance to beat them?

If we continue to hold SEC teams to 15 points a game we will be good.

TrapGame
09-28-2015, 02:52 PM

It looked like Dan just closed down the offense in the 4th against AU and let Manny deal with it. I don't see us doing that vs. A&M. There is no RS QB this time.

Really Clark?
09-28-2015, 02:57 PM
If we continue to hold SEC teams to 15 points a game we will be good.

Defense is keeping the scoring down really well. But you have to acknowledge that is unlikely to happen. We have to figure out the running game. Hopefully it happens this weekend.

War Machine Dawg
09-28-2015, 03:15 PM
A) We're historically a 60 run/40 pass team under Mullen. Being 60/40 the other direction is a total change of identity. That has consequences over the course of a season.

B) I'm surprised it's 58/42. That has to be skewed some because of us running the ball against NW ST. We're still throwing it 40+ times in SEC play so far.

C) At some point, we've got to find a way to run the clock and give the D a blow. Throwing the ball so much has resulted in the D being on the field 32+ minutes, over half the total TOP, each game so far this season. They've been on the field 35+ minutes in 3 of our 4 games. That's a hell of a long time and a hell of a lot of snaps. If it keeps up, they're going to wear down eventually. That's the only major concern I have with our offensive reversal so far.

If we can find a way to kill more clock and hold on to the ball longer, I'll be perfectly happy. Whether that's running or throwing, I don't care, but we've got to keep the offense on the field longer than we are this season. We could get away with what we're doing in the East, but we play in the West. Until I see us hold the ball over half the game, I'm going to continue to be concerned about the long term viability of being a 60 pass/40 run team.

Fred Garvin
09-28-2015, 03:26 PM
What if Dan had been stubborn and stuck to a 55/45 run/pass this year?

Emory Bellard would have approved

ClawjoDawg
09-28-2015, 03:50 PM
After the LSU game I don't remember a lot of folks saying we should have run the ball more in the 2nd half. Instead they were saying we should have passed the ball more in the 1st half.

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 04:18 PM
I don't think it's ideal and it's not the balance that Dan is looking for, but it is what we have to do right now until the coaches figure out that Lee is our best running back- if that ever happens.

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Emory Bellard would have approved

Exactly- I'd rather do what we are doing now and win rather than say "Dammit we are a run first team and we are going to run no matter what!" I remember people crucifying Croom for saying that we were going to run the ball against LSU no matter what one year. Same difference.