PDA

View Full Version : Is Butch Going to Auburn?

AusTexDawg
09-28-2015, 02:00 PM
http://www.d1baseball.com/news/auburn-fires-head-coach-sunny-golloway/

The D1BB writers are suggesting Butch Thompson is one of the most likely candidates for the newly vacant Auburn baseball head coach job. What do you think happens to our pitchers if Butch leaves in the middle of fall ball?

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 04:39 PM
It would be bad for us because we would have to find a pitching coach since Mingione and Coggin both have offensive backgrounds.

I would probably try to reach out to someone like Jay Powell as the interim pitching coach and then try to get the best pitching coach I could find hopefully before the season starts. Probably try to get Dallas Baptist's pitching coach if it were me.

Our current pitchers aren't going to go anywhere and no way in hell Cohen is going to release any of them to go to Auburn.

engie
09-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Would be very bad for us.

I don't think he would leave right now. If auburn wants him IMO it's in their best interest to go interim hc until the season's end. May be wrong -- we will see.

MsStateBaseball
09-28-2015, 05:11 PM
If this is June I would say likely but he knows he will leave at a bad time.

basedog
09-28-2015, 05:17 PM
I would think Jay Powell would be a great fit, surely he know pitching and how to handle a staff.

engie
09-28-2015, 05:20 PM
Let's not kid ourselves -- jay Powell might develop what we have at a high level and may eventually recruit at a high level. But there is no better all around "fit" for MSU than Butch Thompson...

basedog
09-28-2015, 05:25 PM
And I agree, but IF he does go to Auburn, I would think Jay Powell, hell he played 13 years in the Bigs.

Coach34
09-28-2015, 05:35 PM
If Butch wants to be a HC- he'll take it. It may not be there for him later on. He can also get in there and install his system and see what needs to be weeded out before next year- and get a head start on recruiting. It's a no-brainer to take it if that is what he wants

MsStateBaseball
09-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Jack Leggett wants it. Former long time Clemson coach.

CadaverDawg
09-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Losing him would be bad, no doubt...especially this time of year. That being said, would you all agree that now would be better than 2-3 years ago, considering the ball seam change? Seems like he was a master at turning shit into salad by dropping arm angle and adding sink...but with the new Seams, looks like power arms will take priority. Or am I way off? Not downplaying that I don't want to lose him, of course.

MsStateBaseball
09-28-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't think he's going now BC that would leave us in a tight spot. He wouldn't do that. I think Auburn will hire someone with HC experience.

Avelso
09-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Couple of things

Butch would walk to AU. It's not about money or anything else. It's common sense.

Cohen left MO (I think it was MO) at Christmas break when he took the northwestern st job years ago. Dave VanHorn took the Nebraska job to open that job. When wheels turn wheels turn.

My concern with butch is his ability to build a staff that would hurt our al/ms recruiting. I feel confident that lane Burroughs would go with him as associate head coach.

Jay Powell has zero interest in being a college baseball coach. He has a pile of cash and enjoys the outdoors too much. He's not going to spend his Saturday's telling 17 year olds how awesome they are. If you'll notice very few pro guys become college coaches. They HATE the recruiting process. There are exceptions but very few.

If Butch leaves he will be replaced and replaced well. John offered the pitching coach job to someone else before butch back when he took the job. Butch had accepted a lower tier job and resigned after a couple of weeks.

Jack Leggett would be a very safe hire right now for auburn considering the situation.

Last but not least. I was told a couple of weeks ago that the 2 biggest jerks in all of college athletics were Galloway and Buddy Stephens. Amazing that they both made the news this weekend.

Coach34
09-28-2015, 08:56 PM
I don't think he's going now BC that would leave us in a tight spot. He wouldn't do that..

Yes he would if he is wanting a HC job.

CadaverDawg
09-28-2015, 09:07 PM
I don't think he's going now BC that would leave us in a tight spot. He wouldn't do that.

No offense, but your head could not be deeper in the sand. When people wave money, promotion and power in your face, you don't always give a shit about the situation you're leaving the current program in. It's the way the World works, with a few rare exceptions.

CadaverDawg
09-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Couple of things

Butch would walk to AU. It's not about money or anything else. It's common sense.

Cohen left MO (I think it was MO) at Christmas break when he took the northwestern st job years ago. Dave VanHorn took the Nebraska job to open that job. When wheels turn wheels turn.

My concern with butch is his ability to build a staff that would hurt our al/ms recruiting. I feel confident that lane Burroughs would go with him as associate head coach.

Jay Powell has zero interest in being a college baseball coach. He has a pile of cash and enjoys the outdoors too much. He's not going to spend his Saturday's telling 17 year olds how awesome they are. If you'll notice very few pro guys become college coaches. They HATE the recruiting process. There are exceptions but very few.

If Butch leaves he will be replaced and replaced well. John offered the pitching coach job to someone else before butch back when he took the job. Butch had accepted a lower tier job and resigned after a couple of weeks.

Jack Leggett would be a very safe hire right now for auburn considering the situation.

Last but not least. I was told a couple of weeks ago that the 2 biggest jerks in all of college athletics were Galloway and Buddy Stephens. Amazing that they both made the news this weekend.

I missed the Stephens news. What happened?

msstate7
09-28-2015, 09:12 PM
I missed the Stephens news. What happened?

Nothing really.. Just got in a fight with a referee haha

And by fight, I mean punches thrown

Political Hack
09-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Couple of things

I don't really want to air personal stuff on a message board, but are there still personal reasons for Butch being in Starkville? My understanding is he'll be here until there aren't and then he'll be a head coach pretty much wherever he wants to be.

Sounds like you may know. Post more!

CadaverDawg
09-28-2015, 09:43 PM

Seriously? What a dipshit

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 09:46 PM

And a clipboard.

Allegedly the referee is the one fault.

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 09:47 PM
Seriously? What a dipshit

MS JUCO football at it's finest.

Todd4State
09-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Couple of things

I would ask Powell only for an interim position only if the need arose. I know he would not want to be a full time coach and do all of the recruiting.

State82
09-28-2015, 10:01 PM
I feel confident that lane Burroughs would go with him as associate head coach.

Why would Burroughs leave a head coaching position to go to AU as an assistant?

Really Clark?
09-28-2015, 10:14 PM
MS JUCO football at it's finest.

You got that right. Some think they are Woody Hayes out there. Not that the refs don't have issues to.

engie
09-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Losing him would be bad, no doubt...especially this time of year. That being said, would you all agree that now would be better than 2-3 years ago, considering the ball seam change? Seems like he was a master at turning shit into salad by dropping arm angle and adding sink...but with the new Seams, looks like power arms will take priority. Or am I way off? Not downplaying that I don't want to lose him, of course.

He was pretty masterful in the former eras of college baseball as well at the previous stops. Just, the same as our hitting, we had climbed too far down the rabbit hole for a quick fix once the change happened. If it ain't fixed this year and the staff isn't elite again -- we can have the discussion. One in five does not make a trend IMO

Bama_Dawg
09-29-2015, 09:55 AM
If Butch does get the job and heads to the Plains, good for him. Its a HC job and an upgrade.

...and by that time Paps should be in enough crap in Washington that he can come down and give our pitchers some spark.***